What game made you commit to a tedious Grind to Platinum?

ShahinMiah

While getting 132 platinums i had to grind a lot in many games, but most annoying were:

- GTA V - 100 lvl in online (was lucky here because of some event race in the mountains i dont remember now that gave a lot of xp)

- Gran Turismo 5 - nealry whole game (lvl, endurance races, Vetel etc.)

- Uncharted 3 - multiplayer dlc treasure sets (definitely my most brutal grind thx to cruel RNGod)

- Dark Souls Trilogy - covenants items offline grind

- Gran Turismo Sport - wins, races, pole positions

- Monster Hunter World - crowns ( very grindy but definitely most fun grind, waiting for Iceborn on sale to feel this again).

• Like 3

The last of us (1) because of the online trophies

Metal Gear Solid V because of the S ranks and complete all the objectives, you had to play every mission maybe 3-4 times

Dark Souls 1,2,3 covenant items was a short but super tedious grind

Now I might try to get RDR2 platinum and if I don't give up, it will be my biggest grind.

Edited by Lezonidas
  • Like 2

So there's the bad grinds, the tedious grinds and the "what am I doing with my life...."grinds.

My worst grinds ever were in these fine videogames : 

1. MORTAL KOMBAT : My Kung Fu is Stronger trophy is atrocious. By far the worst grind I ever had to do in a videogame. This game shall be written with caps lock. I seriously considered going to the church after this one.

2. Street Fighter V : Priceless - earning 1.000.000 Fight Money. Since Capcom are Scrooge McDucks and won't give you more FM even if you'd threaten them, it was the most abysmal thing to grind in this game. I'd rather learn playing as FANG and try to reach Gold Rank than do this again (I hate FANG)

3. Injustice 2 : Cat Fight or Cat Call trophy - getting a special skill for Catwoman then defeating Cheetah with it. It took...FOREVER. Had to do the Super Multiverse (1000 fights, 1 million damage accumulated, some dumb stuff like that). The good part : Defeated 80% of my opponents as Catwoman online - I got THAT good with that stupid character.

4. Super Street Fighter IV : From C to Shining C - get all characters to C rank in Ranked Match. Boosting was the answer, but my god it took so much time. Boring also, I ran out of podcasts to listen to. On the good side, Seth kept eating those kicks like a champ.

5. Blur : Living Legend - reach level 50 in multiplayer. Blur is a racing game. It takes forever to reach level 50. I knew the tracks by heart at some point. Can't really stand cars anymore.

6. Guilty Gear -Sign- : A man of Wealth and Taste - Collect all items in MOM mode. For that, you need to reach rank 14 by hunting down star enemies on a humongous hexagonal map(you can only go on adjacent hexagons, you can't jump straight into the fight) THEN hope you get the good drops. I love Guilty Gear but this was too much.

7. Assassin's Creed Unity : Curiosity - open every chest in Paris. Sorry for the words but...FUCK THAT TROPHY! Searching 294 of these damn things, half of them being hidden in catacombs, requiring you to search for the stupid entrance, and what's worse needing level 3 lockpick skills made me enraged with this trophy. I sure know more people hated this one as well.

8. NieR : Forging Master - upgrade all of the 30 weapons to the maximum. For those who wait for the absolutely beautiful NieR Replicant remaster : YOU BETTER PREPARE TO FARM THOSE EAGLE EGGS. It will be fun I tell you! Seriously, why were those damn things so hard to find??????

So yeah...these are the most fun "experiences" I had in videogames grind-wise. It's moments like these where I wonder why do I even bother xD Oh well at least I have fun...

200.gif

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, SirShavesALot said:

Not for a plat, but getting 100% on Warframe is definitely a grind.  Guessing there's still more to come.

The saddest part is that you have to keep playing after every update, I had 100% once (a year ago or so), now I'm at 80% again.

That I remember
Rayman Legends
Truly Awesome Trophy- Had to play 80+ days in a row for one trophy

Grand Theft Auto IV- Too many trophies that required a grind for this one between the Multiplayer trophies and some of the offline trophies.

The Division and Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet was pretty grindy too.

20 minutes ago, Gamez4Me2 said:

I started Elite Dangerous... nothing more to say... this will be my lifetime platinum, if I ever get it... other than that, GTA V- so far- is my rarest platinum

Oh wow, Elite Dangerous is a fun game (to me anyway), but those trophies do not look like fun at all!

Godzilla. Like I enjoyed it a lot, I'm willing to defend the game and it's clunky controls as they provide the most accurate simulation of the awkward way Godzilla used to move in the movies where it was portrayed by an actor in a suit, but hot diggety damn I can't defend having to grind for evolution points with all monsters. Some of them who appear randomly in the modes and might take a lot of time before they show up for certain players.

That and also grinding for dioramas can break a man's soul. Not because it's hard, but because it's tedious as all hell. I was lucky enough that I enjoyed the game and got a far amount of difficult trophies by just playing regularly, but I can't imagine people who only got for the lolz and hated the gameplay enduring all the way to platinum considering it a high point on their trophy hunting career. But I guess it feels cool having a platinum from a delisted game, so because I mostly enjoyed it I'll take it with pride. It was a chore, yet a chore I treasure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunnydaleAlumni said:

Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness. Grinding the Puzzle Mini Game for points was tedious and stressful. Wasn't going to let it beat me though lol

I still play 2048 to this day on my phone, it's kinda random but it helps passing the time when you're bored. If it wasn't for Psycho Pass I would have never found out about it :lol:

I can think of Black Desert and Dark Souls 3.

Black Desert is a very time consuming game IF you couldn’t AFK. You can get the grindy trophies out of the way by AFK-ing but obviously can’t do anything else. You don’t even have to play the game to earn the grindy trophies, just let the game run for entire days.

Dark Souls 3 is just time consuming cause you have to farm these things to get certain covenants. It took me hours to get to one covenant.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has too many requirements for replay especially with the Monster Hunter tie in missions. I am not a fan of GMP research waiting.

Tomb Raider is a wonderful game with a dumb multiplayer requirement.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain could have been one of the best MG games if it were not designed to be Metal Grind Solid! Did I mention GMP research waiting . . . ?

Borderlands 2 is still not finished for me since I have to stop playing over the amount of grinding needed!

Edited by Nonagelast
A new thought

LEGO Worlds - Grinding to a billion studs. No wonder it's an ultra rare trophy. It took me around 8ish hours.

Final Fantasy VII - Grinding to 99,999,999 gil this time. Around three hours for this one.

Everything - The Big Thinker trophy. I let the game play it's self for 5 hours till I got enough 'thoughts' to get this one.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - Grinding to level 55 in Multiplayer. :awesome:

Edited by Jamescush147

I’ve done many longer grinds than this one but the worst goes to the bunny race trophy in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Took me around 50 hours but that was so tedious. There is no gameplay. You press X and than watch a fluffy colorful bunny who makes a terrible sound hop around a track. Hoping he wins but it’s just RNG. Never again.

Quite a few in my experience like...

Resonance of Fate - Gaining star ranks on each of the colosseum arena battles.

Final Fantasy 13 - Grinding Trapezohedrons to obtain all weapons.

Omega Quintent - Defeating 10,000 enemies was the longest grind here.

Basically every J/RPG I played has amounts of tedious grind involved but I'm not really complaining, in fact I enjoy it as I have or planned to get platinum on them more than once on alt accounts for the games that enjoyed playing. 

I just put on my favorite music and chat a bit with friends to keep me grounded sometimes though ?

• Like 1

The grind that I will never forget was the one for Tomb Raider

You have to grind to level 60, you can do it alone but it just takes so much time. I don't remember how many medic kits I had to deliver but they were far to many. 

Honorable mentions goes to Brotherhood with the "slapping" boost, you literally just slap other players till you reach level 50. 

Rayman Legends with the grind that takes literally months. 

I will start my level 50 grind on Red Dead Redemption soon but I might add it here, I heard bad things about it 

• Like 3

Getting all the endings in School/Island Mode in Danganronpa 1 and 2 (and getting all items to drop in Monomi Mode.) Also, while it doesn't count towards the platinum, the trophy for getting 100,000 tickets in the Nuka-World DLC in Fallout 4. Just standing there repeatedly firing explosive submachine gun ammo at the targets, waiting for the tickets to pop out, and doing it over again until I ran out of ammo and had to fast travel back to the Commonwealth to clear out the vendors. 

Honorable mention to repeatedly moonwalking in and out of a room in the Reverse Caverns in SotN to grab a bag of money for the $500,000 gold needed to buy the Duplicator on my other account while slowly going insane. 

JRPGs the main culprit for me tbh.... Ni No Kuni...Fairy Fencer F.... Dungeon Travelers 2... Exist Archive... Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

Worst to date for me is Dissidia Final Fantasy NT - it really felt like I played ~100 hours just playing Y'shtola spamming the same moves over and over.

If I had a dollar for every game that wanted a tedious grind of some sort...

But just to name a few that really stick out to me:

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - Wants you to grind medals for every character, which means replaying levels over and over to fill their friendship meter or whatever it was.

Monster Hunter: World - The Crown grind, pretty self-explanatory but the game itself was great.

Tales of Berseria & Vesperia - Both want you to do grinds for titles for each character. I think Vesperia's was more tedious though, since you have to get a characters cooking skill maxed out by cooking a bunch of times with them. I hear one of the other games makes you cook hundreds of times with every character though, so I guess I should be thankful I didn't have to do that.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise - Makes you grind for 100 million of the games currency to complete a sub-story which means replaying the nightclub minigame for hours on end only just barely getting a million each time you do it.

• Like 1

I have done some "interesting" trophy grinds to say the least. But 2 stand out... or rather 1 from my former PSN ID and 1 from my current one.

As Icebrand1270 my craziest grind was getting to Level 99 in Adventures of Mana. The game's final boss... all 3 forms of him... are easily beaten at Level 50. I got to where the strongest enemies were and they only give 250 XP when well over 10,000 is needed to jump levels from 80-99. Tedious to say the least. Needless to say, I got very familiar with the theme music of WWE wrestler Shinsuke Nakamura for 4 hours to dull the pain. Also needless to say, all 3 forms of the final boss took a combined 5 minutes to defeat afterwards.

As for my current ID of OohYeah127, the "big grind" was 1000 RBIs in RBI Baseball 20. Every RBI Baseball game has this trophy but this year was the first to feature a Platinum Trophy. It took several lengthy days of hard work (and knowing which ballparks are more productive of home runs) to grind this one out. It's no small wonder that only 4 people own this Plat. Worth it to be the first but a LOT of work to pull it off.

I've always considered myself to have an unusual ability for grinding trophies that I normally attribute to a love of old-school RPGs. Still, those 2 stand out and likely always will.

Edited by Icebrand1270