What game made you commit to a tedious Grind to Platinum?

ShahinMiah

Two Platinums I have come to mind. Wolfenstein Youngblood is the first. The game was roughly 6 hours long and the post game grind was 30-40 hours of just monotonous grinding.

Red Dead Redemption 2 had a lot of grindy trophies like the exotics part of the 100%, squirrel statue, study and skin all animals...

Edited by hishomie1

Monster Hunter World
The most grindy trophies are the gold crown and the min gold crown, that you'll have to fight against RNG for hundreds of hours. Although there are events that gives you gold crowns of most monsters, but for elder dragons the only way is to grind.

Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni
100 naked bodies, all underwears from lingerie printer, and the 5M exp are horrible as hell... and will take you more than 30 hrs

• Like 1

The Last Guardian

Currently in the process of hunting for the platinum and Jesus fucking Christ the trophy list in this game is absolutely horrendous.

Just today I’ve quite literally spent 4 hours already trying to get Trico (the giant dog bird creature) to take a shit. It’s impossible. I’ve tried everything I can possibly think of, and staked out every area I’ve seen in videos for multiple hours over the last few days and I just can’t get him to poop. ????

Oh thats a topic for me. I've had a few more than that but here are the 5 most tedious grinds and what made them worth mentioning.

5. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Long game, long platinum. Farming all these soldiers, all these ressources, getting all these S ranks, collecting all creatures. This was a great game, but oh boy did it feel like a long and exhausting task by the end.

4. Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. I platted this game at a time when information on it was not so easily available. DW games are grindy by nature, Empires spin offs even more so, and this one is no different. Taking over the country many times, collecting all these lifestyles and these goddamn titles while trying not to lose track, probably took me longer than necessary, thankfully I enjoy DW games a lot, but for anyone not into this series it would be torture.

3. Uncharted 4. Not for the plat, but its shitty 100%. One of the worst dlc additions in living memory, the poorly balanced and downright broken survival mode is so unfun that I could barely sit through it. Being needlessly long with slow progression to push people towards the ridiculously expensive microtransactions did not help either, this one was a truly miserable experience.

2. Monster Hunter World. A massive time sink for a game that is pretty much average in all categories, but becomes more and more tedious due to insulting amounts of asset and enemy recycling. The devs of this game weren't content with that though, after making you kill every damage sponge monster several times in mindless repetition, they add the element of gold crowns, a RNG based system that can lead to unfortunate souls needing many hundreds of hours to be done with it. The worst thing about it aside from the game getting tedious real quick is that, due to it being RNG, the end is never really visible, you have no idea whether you have to kill 2 more of that specific monster for the crown, or 50, and obviously you need TWO different types of crowns for each monster. Absolute dogshit platinum requirement that turned what would have been an ok experience into something you could interrogate prisoners with, same few monster shits over and over and over.

1. Orcs Must Die Unchained. MHWs crappy recycled monsters are too much variety for you? Then this one here is the best recommendation. SAME LEVEL between 550 and 600 times, with the same character, while also performing on a consistently good average or you need even more runs. The trophy list is mostly fine, some grind, some challenge, many trophies come naturally, but even after you get every single trophy except one there is still the last trophy left called Empty Pockets. By the time everything else is done, which takes quite a while by itself, you are likely between 5 and 8% progression of this trophy, and then the grind for coins starts. This trophy is the reason that the platinum will forever be the rarest I ever earn, because very few people are insane enough to even attempt it, let alone complete it, as it is so ridiculously long and mind numbingly dull. Even this plat had the common decency to tell you how much longer it would take, it can't ever be accused of moving quickly, but it was always moving and telling you all about the progress you made, unlike MHW and other similar rng shitfests. Still, I can't say if I would have it in me again to do a similar grind. This grind became part of my every day routine, and by the time I was a third through it I began dreaming about farming coins, this stayed with me until weeks after the whole ordeal was finally over.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

For me I'm gonna say gauntlet which I literally just got the platinum for yesterday. Getting over 90,000 kills spread across 4 different characters was ridiculous. It took me 4 years to do only becuz when I 1st got the game I had no intention on going for the plat. But as I've been hitting the backlog lately I decided to give it a go. It was very tedious n reminded y I shy away from Grindy games

Edited by MsVelvet
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sunnydaleAlumni said:

Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness. Grinding the Puzzle Mini Game for points was tedious and stressful. Wasn't going to let it beat me though lol

I seem to be the total weirdo who actually liked that better than the game and played it a bit after I finished the grind for points.

For me the worst grind was Sorcery Saga.  Absolutely boring and you had to pay some attention while grinding as well.  Totally love having to go through hundreds of floors multiple times to max out all the weapons when half of the weapons were also pathetic and useless and it took too long to kill monsters with them.  MeiQ would be in a close second for the 30k kills, but at least I could make a setup to one shot kill everything, speed up battles and summon monster encounters fast.

• Like 1

There's 2 that instantly spring to mind for me:

Gran Turismo 6 - the final trophy I needed for the plat was to drive 12,718km. By the time I'd finished everything else in the game I was at maybe 3,500 or so.

Killzone Mercenary - 10,000 kills. Again, by the time I'd finished everything else I don't think I was even halfway.

One game that comes to mind for me is Bleach Soul Ignition(Resurreccion). Getting all characters to max level was pretty tedious. Monster Hunter World sorta comes to mind, but the crown farming wasn't too bad once you got a good rhythm down for sizing them up.

I've done several and often say i don't want to do similar again. But that promise doesn't last very long. Among my worst examples are:

Battlefield Bad Company. After getting All Online Awards i needed more than 7k kills to reach 10k. I hated every minute of it.

Quest of Dungeons. Not the longest grind i did but the game should end after 1 playthrough of all 5 characters. I replayed 15 more times with the Archer to reach 500k gold. Battlefield took 500 instead of 50 hours so that's why QoD is just 2nd place :D

Bleach Soul Resurrección/Ignition. Get all heroes to max lv and finish all sidemissions with all heroes. Good game, bad move :(

One Piece Pirate warriors 3. Game is ok but repetitive in itself. grinding "friendship" xp for all characters is way too much they ask for.

Uncharted 3. Getting those online treasures took soooo long. 50 hours just to get the very last one while i found the 2nd to last 5 times. Urgh

Edited by Evil_Joker88

I've had a few that were just so stupid.

Evolve was pretty awful. You have to get to max rank with every (base game) character and monster and it just takes ages. Not only do you have to do the same thing over and over again, but I don't know how some people got some of these without boosting. Especially the engineers and medics were ridiculous. Not fun. At least I can say I have an unobtainable plat though.

Killzone Shadow Fall was just as bad though if not worse. I can't count the number of hours I just sat there on that stupid rock killing AI. I know it was probably worse before you could do it against bots, but it just took ages and ages. I wanted the 100% too so it took even longer. Ugh.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood get an honorable mention for being mind numbing, but neither of those were nearly as bad as those two.

The one that comes to mind immediately when it comes to terrible unfun grinds would definitely be the Zeni trophy from Dragonball FighterZ. MATCH AFTER MATCH with the same battle over and over and over. And to make matters worse it was against the Hard AI, so not only did I have to deal with the monotony, I also had to contend with the cpu cheapness that could ruin your streak in a flash.

8 hours ago, Copanele said:

5. Blur : Living Legend - reach level 50 in multiplayer. Blur is a racing game. It takes forever to reach level 50. I knew the tracks by heart at some point. Can't really stand cars anymore.

I recently finished that one and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable level grinds I have done so far. The XP increase per level is a bit too steep, like it was in many of those older games, but the racing is pretty fun and even if you finish last (which I did a lot because of all the level 50 legend players that have been playing for 10+ years) you can still get decent XP by scoring hits, evasion, revenges, etc. But if you do not like racing games in general or just not this type, it will of course be a lot more challenging.

I have done quite a lot of grinds so far, mostly for PS3 games, and in general I have grown to actually quite enoy them. It's a good way to wind down after a long working day/week making progress on trophies without any real effort. I prefer to do them "legit" when servers are still active like I did for Blur, Medal of Honor and a couple more games.

Boosting is sometimes necessary when games are dead but it can become very tedious. So I prefer a solo XP grind if a game allows for it. I had no issues with running health packs on PS3 Tomb Raider for example. Even if it takes longer I like to pick that option.

Red Dead Redemption's solo grind did annoy me for some reason though. The repetition felt uncomfortable even though it was not overly long.

The most annoying one so far for me though was F1 2010. Even though you can make good progress with the right method, it still takes far too many online seasons. I think I burned through about 5 boosting buddies that simply gave up along the way. The single player is grindy as well, which certainly does not help.

Just Cause 2 almost broke me. Too the point where I took a break from trophy hunting for a few months. God what a monotonous grind. 

The GTA 4 MP grind was fucking insane. I put around 10 hours into it and was only halfway till level I had the 5 million for level 10. Thankfully they doubled the payouts and a glitch was found that let you hit max rank in 3 hours. 

Uncharted 2 & 3 took really long (especially 3). But I loved the MP in those games and I managed to find a group of around 20 people who were online reliably which softened the grind. 

GTA 5 Plat I managed to get casually. I've put 3000 hours in GTA Online playing with friends and the trophies came along normally across the way. 

I really hope grindy MP trophies fucking die next gen. 

• Like 1