What game made you commit to a tedious Grind to Platinum?

ShahinMiah

Online trophies of the Tomb Raider. I ran out of even somewhat interesting podcasts (there weren't that many in 2014), so I brought a computer monitor from the other room, "played" on it and watched some old shows on TV. I was still bored out of my mind. I can still vision some of those maps 6 years later, probably burned into my retinas forever.

Edited by Road2unner
  • Like 1

Of course it was Medal of Honor Warfighter ,Jack of all Guns trophy for me.

There were 6 different class ( as I remember) and 72 guns that you need to had at least 20 kills for each one in multiplayer servers.

Although it may seem like a grind, it has become enjoyable because I love the game so much. It took 15 days for me. ( not boosting, random servers).

Hardcore difficulty was also incredible. If you die in any chapter, you must start from beginning, first chapter !!!

Thanks to ps plus cloud, I did it but it was exhausting.

Lastly,  I am looking for Super Street Fighter IV C to Shinning C trophy. This trophy defines what the grind is. 

Edited by seyhano
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nonagelast said:

What is everyone's opinion of the worst aspect of online grinding? Finding enough players (who do show up when needed and in the necessary numbers), reliability and availability of servers, or the actual playing to be done on your part?

Finding other people with enough will to share the grind: really annoying when you are unable to, considering that the grind itself for you is not a problem, since you are used to it.

Fortnite: Save the World - not one, but four extremely tedious trophies, still not even finished it. Have to grind out another 13,000 mist monsters! In a way I’m glad I decided to commit to this game, it’ll make every other time consuming game a lot more approachable down the line as it can’t get much worse than StW.

The Crew: I recently gave up on finishing that game because it has some very boring and grindy trophies, some of which actively work to make the game less enjoyable. 

Remember My Name
Earn over 100,000 Reputation Points.  - Each event gives you only a few hundred rep points, oh and this number also resets at the start of each month so you've got to do this fast. No thanks.

Overclocker
Drive a total of 5,000 Miles (8047 km) in a single car. - Probably the worst trophy I've ever seen. In me completing the entire game and the majority of the rest of the trophies I managed only about 1,500 miles. This one actively wants you in ONE car, essentially cutting you off from using any other cars for the rest of the game. Truly dull. 

Quite a few:

1) Mugen Souls: 800+ hrs of grinding for shampurus

2) FEAR 2: 100+ hrs of MP booster

3) helldivers: 100K kills

4) Black Ops 3: Getting a ton of kills with almost every Single player weapon

5) King of Fighters XII: 1500 matches

6) Warhawk: Grinding thousands of kills with every weapon and vehicle on top of many wins in various modes

7) White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2: grinding and grinding and grinding to get rare drops to make/upgrade equipment to grind more so, 1000+ hrs

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

I didn't know it was a Dynasty Warriors game or what that even meant.

Literal the first 10 minutes in I was like "oh...." - but a trophy had already popped. It was too late to turn back. 60-hour non-stop spamming grind later. 

Learned a great lesson in doing my research on a game before playing it though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, realm722 said:

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

I didn't know it was a Dynasty Warriors game or what that even meant.

Literal the first 10 minutes in I was like "oh...." - but a trophy had already popped. It was too late to turn back. 60-hour non-stop spamming grind later. 

Learned a great lesson in doing my research on a game before playing it though. 

You were hoping for a non-stop, slime-bashing grind, but a turn-based one! ?

• Like 1

attack on titan. grinding for materials turned into a slow monotone murderfest that i just checked out while doing

Also shoutout to world war z. The multiplayer is average as hell. I did praise it before but when i was done with leveling up all the classes I was done.

Same goes for getting all the perks. It had some semblance of balance with the insane difficulty story runs, but even when you've done literally everything else you have hours and hours of grinding. It's not even difficult or entertaining at some point.

Motorstorm Apocalypse this game was released about two weeks before the famous psn hack of 2011, I had done all trophies except those required with the online connection, when psn was finally switched back on I had to grind to level 40, luckily they had added some challenges that gave you xp which I used to bump it a little, it wasn't a bad grind as I really enjoyed the game and would like to see a remaster but how it happened to be left to finish always stuck in my head.

Spare Parts a million credits was my final trophy, this was after buying all upgrades and a trophy for the game being complete, there was a particular level that you could use to farm credits, I can't remember how many times I did the level but it took two days for me to pop the final trophy and platinum after I'd got the upgrade trophy. 

• Like 1

Sword art Online - Re: Hollow Fragment   -   300 hrs

I beat the main game at 120 hours at lvl 130, then the last 5-6 trophies took an additional 180 hours to complete.

Get to lvl 200, complete a list of 140 different missions, kill 100 high level bosses (~5-10 minutes each) and complete a list of 128 challenges that all require grinding themselves

I hate the concept of "extreme" grinding as that's generally the repetition of a simple task multiple times without any skill involved. Still when it's not "extreme" and I enjoy the game I can do it. For me it was 'Zombie Genocider' achievement, which involved killing 53,594 zombies in Dead Rising. This is my favorite Zombie game -couldn't care less about any of the sequels- leaving aside L4D as these are totally different genres. Already have it on PSN and can't wait to play it again and get the Platinum, sad they removed the 53,594 achievement. And this is for games related to trophies, the biggest grinds for me have been on Final Fantasy XI as I'm a veteran player there and it's crazy the amount of time you need for the ultimate weapons. Never played many MMORPGs, but FFXI captivated me from the start, it's a world I never get tired to visit.

My biggest grind related to trophies could change in the future to 1000 online matches in DoA5, maybe I'll work on that once I finish the online ones related to ArcSys games.

For me it's likely a coin flip between Star Ocean 4 (I did everything manually... Getting the 30k kills twice was insanely boring, and that's just a small part of the grind) and Mortal Kombat 9 (while much faster than SO4 grind, it felt somewhat more boring because it's way more repetitive, I think..). 

In recent times I don't think that I committed to any huge grind, I believe that SAO re:Hollow Fragment was the last noteworthy grind that I actually did (I consider Dark Cloud 2 long, but not exactly grindy, and I did DB FighterZ AFK while away for weeks, so, that's technically a grind from my point of view). 

Resident Evil: Revelations because of the raid mode

My Hero Academia One’s Justice because of the cosmetics

Sword Art Online Hollow Realization because of the skill levels

Persona 4 Golden because of the Rise trophy

There are probably more but these were the ones I remembered off the top of my head, and there are probably some that I’ve tried forgetting.

- Most boring grind : Red Dead Redemption, I had to reach level 50 twice cause I did the DLC trophies a while after starting the game and lost my save in the meantime. It was even more boring the second time, I felt like I wasn't as patient as the first time when I was a newbie in the trophies hunt. Also I wasn't able to play during the hacked servers era unfortunately so I couldn't benefit from it, grind would've been way faster. 

- Hardest grind : Batman Arkham Knight, I really wanted to get the 100% on this game. The Community Challenge Pack's last two trophies are definitely the hardest trophies I got. Probably the 100% I'm the most proud of. 

- Most enjoyable grind : The Witcher III : Wild Hunt, did it twice and I'm planning on doing it a 3rd time in a couple of years after I finish reading the books. I want to be completely immersed with the universe of the game and reading the books makes you feel the game differently. 

- The grind I regret the most not doing : Uncharted 2 and 3, I wish I was as dedicated back in the days I played those games as I am today. Unfortunately I couldn't play the games before the servers shutdown last year so I missed those two. Would've definitely been my most tedious grinds and two of the games I'm the proudest of having them at 100%.

- Upcoming grinds (in my backlog) : Red Dead Redemption II, The Last of Us (Remastered), NBA 2K20, I might regret starting one of those games but I definitely intend on doing them, especially since 2K is time limited cause of the servers closure in the future. I also want to see if The Last of Us is really as good as people say, I want to play the first one before doing the second. For Red Dead Redemption, I guess I have to do another run at level 50, I hope it's not as boring as the first one tho .. 

• Like 1

Mafia II - Not the platinum per se, but the Explorer trophy that requires you to drive 1000 miles in the DLC.

This ended up taking me around 20 - 25 hours to do because the glitch kept pausing on me every 15 - 45 minutes. I ended up doing the last few hundred miles driving around one of the bridges. Still took several hours to get. This trophy alone is making me hesitant to ever do the PS4 remaster.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Reaching level 55 in multiplayer was boring and tedious. Spent a good 12 - 15 hours to get there from level 1. Replayed the same Wolfpack maps probably a hundred times.

Assassin's Creed Unity - Getting all the chests was boring, tedious and stupid. Some chests were hidden underground so you had to find an underground entrance, which made them a pain. Some chests were locked behind level 3 doors, and were also guarded on top of the chests themselves being level 3. This combined with all the cockades made the collectibles monotonous. I was glad to see that platinum trophy pop up on my screen.

Killzone Mercenary: The trophy for killing 10,000 enemies.

Demon's Souls - Grinding for some of those pure stones was tedious.

Horizon Chase Turbo - Not as time consuming as the others I've listed, but doing all 100+ Endurance races in one go was a stupid idea. The fact that falling under fourth - fifth place would send you all the way back to the beginning just asked for USB/Cloud saving.

Jak II and Jak 3 - Utilizing the orb glitch over and over, because screw getting those orbs legit.

Ratchet and Clank (original) - Getting those bolts from the bolt glitch took a solid 15 - 20 hours of AFK grinding.

Saints Row the Third and Saints Row IV - The trophies for spending 30 and 40 hours in the simulation required me to AFK a bit, because I had everything done beforehand.

Super Meat Boy - Most of the later Iron Man runs took me anywhere from 10 to 20 hours to get, with Impossible Boy taking me 25 - 40 hours by itself. Practicing to the point where you can do the levels flawlessly was bad enough, but doing all 20 levels in succession with your blood pressure and nerves building up nearly broke me.

It took me over two years to finish this game, and I don't regret that one bit. Doing the platinum in under a month would of killed me.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

To name a few:

Monster Hunter World/Iceborne with all crown sized monsters is definitely one game that took its time, but it was still fun most of the time :D

Dark Souls 1-3 were exhausting in the end. I didn't have PS+, so I couldn't play online. But for platinum you need to obtain all spells, rings, magics etc. some of them only obtainable through online covenant rewards. Monster dropped these reward items as well, but very rarely...

Final Fantasy 13 was a pain in the ass, farming money and material to buy all weapon upgrades from the most annoying creatures in the game. I hate Long Gui!!

Kingdom Hearts re:chain of memories. Leveling Sora and Riku to lv 99 was ridiculous, it took hours of killing the same monsters over and over.

• Like 1