Taking wickets and bowling maiden overs

FFATMA

I just bought this as my first cricket game, I'm a fairly new person to the sport, just started watching IPL T20 a few years back and loved it.  I think I'm the only white guy in my city here in Canada that I've ever seen with a Rajasthan Royals shirt!

Anyway, I started the game by heading into my favorite mode in sports games, career mode!  Now bear with me, because I really am pretty new to the sport and I'm a bit unsure of some of the terminology, so I might say something that sounds odd.  I'm having absolutely no problems batting and in my first 3 matches, I've gained 3 centuries and usually am only out when I go aggressive on a ball I shouldn't have.  I think I'm also doing pretty decently when it's my turn to bowl as well, as I have an economy rate of 3.15.  The problem is, I haven't taken a single wicket yet and I haven't bowled a single maiden either!  I can quite often get 4 or 5 dot balls but then every single time, I get a run scored against me.  There has been the very odd time where I came very close to hitting the stump, but absolutely no luck yet!  Is this normal for a new career player with low skill or is there some general advice that everyone who has been a fan of the sport since birth knows that I'm missing?

Only having ever watched T20 cricket, my jaw fell open when I saw a graphic showing that there were something like 100 overs left to go in one of the matches I played!  ?

You’ll find that taking wickets is hard and maidens even harder, especially towards the start of your career.

Did you start your career as a batsmen or all rounder? Either of those two options will also make bowling more difficult. 

Variations in your bowling will help, over the wicket (bowling to left of the umpire) and around the wicket (bowling to the right of the umpire) if your bowler is right handed. Setting up different fields (preset fields are fine) and may catch a batsmen off guard. 

Bowling reverse swing is when you select leg side and point the marker slightly off centre in the opposite direction and vice versa. 

Hope what I’ve explained has made sense as cricket is complex ?

• Like 1

I believe I started as an all-rounder, so that I guess doesn't help!  I definitely try to mix everything up, as I had guessed that sending the same ball multiple times in cricket is about as dangerous as it is in baseball!  I haven't changed fields at all, left it with the presets.  I understood most of what you said, I love the complexity of cricket!  I guess I'll either unlock the wicket related trophies later in my career or by playing one of the other modes!  Thanks for the answer!

• Like 1

It’s not too difficult but then again I’m a big fan of cricket and from a cricketing nation.

Just keep at it And they’ll come soon enough. Some trophies can be done with 2 controllers maybe all of them. I can’t remember.

• Like 1