What Is Your Interim GOTY Half-Way Through 2020?

PhantomFear94

I'm kind of cheating a little bit here because its really the only qualifying game i have to participate with ? (I'm using this lockdown oddworld time to get all the online done from my backlog); Final Fantasy VII Remake. I haven't even finished it yet but its incredible and the only thing that disappoints me about it is that it won't last 100 hours. Everything i imagined it would be and more and to top it all if rekindled my love of RPGs that i had partially lost since PS1/PS2 days. 

The only 2 games i will be picking up for sure that will contend with it will be The Last of Us II, Trails of Cold Steel IV and Cyberpunk and out of those, the latter is higher on my list.

• Like 1

The best game I've played this year came out in 2014, Transistor. But seeing as that doesn't count I'd probably have to give it to The Last of Us Part II, despite it's flaws it's the only real game that qualifies for me so far this year. I can definitely see it changing by the end of the year. It'd probably be Ori & The Will of The Wisps if I'd played it myself.

At the moment it's a toss up between Final Fantasy 7 remake and The Last of us Part 2. I think that I need a bit more time to process The Last of Us since it's so fresh on my mind. In terms of conversation both provided awesome discussions (apart from the trolls). I'm hoping that either ghost cyberpunk can top them but either way it's been an awesome game year so far.

Final Fantasy VII Remake was always going to be my GOTY unless they royally screwed it up, which they didn't. Seeing these characters brought to life in their proper form- not the crappy interpretatons brought forward by the expanded lore- and the way the world feels so alive made me remember why I loved the original so much. Wasn't sure how to feel about the ending at first but after taking some time to thin on it, I'm intrigued and excited for what will come next.

The Last of Us Part II was, at its best, phenomenal though there are some pacing issues and some of the second-half characters could have done with some better development to make it as impactful as ND wanted it to be, but it's still an epic game with a great, challenging narrative. The notion that it "disrespects" fans of the original (which I most certainly am after playing and platting it on PS3 this year) is, to me at least, utterly ridiculous but I guess it's not up to me to tell other people how they should feel. Maybe not as good as the first game but I appreciate what it tried to do and feel it was much more successful at doing so than many others do.

Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 are probably gonna blow my mind too. The first half has been pretty so-so but I think this year will go down as a much better year than last year.

Edited by Lan Stee
  • Like 3

1. The Last of Us Part II

2. Doom Eternal

3. The Complex

I guess those are only 3 games I've played that came out 2020. Games I'm looking forward to this year are F1 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077, maybe something else but I can't remember anything.

• Like 1

I have yet to buy a 2020 game.  Was interested on FFVIIre but it's incomplete, so I rather wait for the full edition on 2030 (PS6).  The game I really wanted was TLOUp2 but we all know how that turned out. 

Ghost of Tsushima seems like it'll be my first.... Hope it's good. 

• Like 1