What Is Your Interim GOTY Half-Way Through 2020?

PhantomFear94

I'd go with Nioh 2. While I like the first one more (Nioh 2 somewhat lacked some charms that the first Nioh had), Nioh 2 is the latest game that I paid full price + season pass and still feel worth every cent. Still play almost daily waiting for 1st DLC. That's quite a feat so that's my pick.

• Like 3

Here are the games I've played so far this year:

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (PS4)

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4)

Yo Kai Watch 3 (3DS)

Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4)

Undertale (Switch)

That's only 7. I'll be completely honest... none of those game have really 'stuck out' for me.

But if I had to choose one of them...

I'd say...

668571_front.jpg

I never played the original games. So I finally got to play them myself. I don't regret it at all. Sure it was ridiculous and difficult at times... but I've always been the 'be persistent until I win' kind of person.

I just really loved these games A LOT. I hope they make another game like they are doing for Crash.

What? Did you expect something different?

Kingdom Hearts 3? Why is that not it?

It should be obvious... but...

Spoiler

TROLL ASS ENDING. THAT'S WHY. ?

Nioh 2, with Doom Eternal being a close second. FF7 Remake and BFBB Rehydrated were quite good too. I would've liked TLOU 2 more if the story was structured better and the pacing was improved. It dragged on for too long for me to stay invested with the story. 

Anyways, Deadly Premonition 2 comes out next week, so I'm pretty sure my current GOTY's gonna change then. Plus there's Ghost of Tsushima this month too. Already a fantastic year, and I still haven't gotten the chance to try out Animal Crossing or Xenoblade 1 yet.

I realized that I totally forgot to mention Persona 5 Royal, but I've only played the JP version and that was last year, so in my mind, I have that game listed as a 2019 game. But if we add that in, then yeah, P5R's my GOTY.

Edited by Golden Devil Gamer
  • Like 1

Honourable mention to Raging Loop. I played at the start of the year and that good game glow is still with me 7 months on. While I loved RE2R and LoU2, my GOTY would be FF7 remake. I have high expectations for CyberPunk and Ghost of Tushima though.

If memory serves me well, the only new 2020 games I've played are Resident Evil 3, Doom Eternal, and The Last of Us Part II.

It's The Last of Us Part II. Resident Evil 3 is so so. Doom Eternal wasn't as refreshing as 2016 was and I didn't feel compelled to even finish it.

While The Last of Us Part II isn't a perfect game,  (and let's be real, perfect games don't exist) I feel like it is a worthy sequel that pushes the boundaries of gaming storytelling and what should ve expected of video game narratives.

Far and away it's Nioh 2 for me! It's. Just. Brilliant. As equally deep an action game as it is an RPG, it's the "souls-like" to finally overcome FromSoftware in quality, at least to me. Just like the first game too, the story and setting are also wonderful - engaging historical fiction with a lovingly detailed world full of the culture and mythology of Warring States Japan. 

• Like 2

At the moment it's Nioh 2. I loved it as much as the first game and I've already put over 200 hours into it. Once all three DLC's are released, I fully expect my total playtime to push well past 500 hours.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if anything dethrones it by the end of the year. I couldn't really get into FF7 Remake, TLOU2 isn't my sort of thing and Cyberpunk 2077 just doesn't interest me. Ghost of Tsushima is about the only thing that might even stand a chance of pushing past it.

• Like 1

Hard for me, honestly, I think I still need to wait for the rest of the year.

Resident EVil 3 and The last of us II were the games I was expecting the most for this year. Even though I enjoyed every single minute of both of them, something tells me that none of them are gonna be the GOTY this year.

I haven't played FFVII remake, but perhaps so far it could be. Or maybe later "Cyberpunkt"

Final Fantasy 7: Remake without a doubt. It made me feel like a kid again. It was pure nostalgia done right and actually made me love and appreciate the original game even more which is crazy to say. It also worked brilliantly as both a remake and re-imagining of a classic game

The Last of Us 2 was a massive disappointment in my opinion and like many of you I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 and Ghost of Tsushima end up being game changers 

• Like 1

Probably about my current Top 10 favorites for 2020 so far
1. Trials of Mana
2.  Final Fantasy VII Remake
3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team
4. Rune Factory 4
5. Ori and Will of the Wisps
6. Dragonball Z Kakarot
7.  Animal Crossing New Horizons
8. The Last of Us Part II
9. Maneater
10.  Sword Art Online Lycoris(wasn't sure if I wanted to add this one or not, I like the game, but kind of has a noticeably bad framerate, otherwise I suppose put Resident Evil 3 here instead)