ZexionPonty92

Platinum run: Rebirth only VS Afterbirth+

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I apologize if this has already been explained somewhere, but I've read a bunch of different things and I don't really understand...

Based on the assumption that I only seek for the platinum trophy (not interested in 100%), is it better to play only the rebirth base version? Or should I go for the afterbirth + edition? 

How the afterbirth + add ons affect the base trophy list? They make things harder or easier?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ZexionPonty92

For just the platinum I'd say Rebirth only. The DLC changes the unlock requirements for Godhead, and although the character itself gets some nice buffs the game as a whole becomes much harder imo.

The game is amazing and I recommend you take afterbirth + too. I have at least 100+ h in the game but the platinum is extremely hard.

10 hours ago, Xylobe said:

For just the platinum I'd say Rebirth only. The DLC changes the unlock requirements for Godhead, and although the character itself gets some nice buffs the game as a whole becomes much harder imo.

So, if I get Afterbirth+ I have to do all the new bosses with the Lost, who is oneshotted by everything, but on the other hand I've read somewhere that in the rebirth version some otehrs unlockables are way more difficult to get.... it's very hard to decide.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, ZexionPonty92 said:

So, if I get Afterbirth+ I have to do all the new bosses with the Lost, who is oneshotted by everything, but on the other hand I've read somewhere that in the rebirth version some otehrs unlockables are way more difficult to get.... it's very hard to decide.

Afterbirth (not afterbirth+) adds Greed mode, putting ~800 coins in the greed machine gives the lost Holy Mantle on spawning. This gives u another hit in every room. The downside to having Afterbirth is having to do all of greed mode + The keeper (I hate this character)

So you need to choose between restarting a million times on The Lost for a good start (Rebirth)

or

Having to do Greed mode+keeper aswell. (Afterbirth)

or

Having to kill Delirium+Ultra greed+all other stuff (Afterbirth+)

I personally recommend Getting Afterbirth first then completing the game on Afterbirth and if u do, buy Afterbirth+.

Afterbirth+ is harder than Afterbirth.

Edited by Im_Carsten

In terms of just obtaining the platinum, there's a couple of positives and negatives regarding either playing the base game or with DLC.

Rebirth you only have to complete 20 challenges for the  challenges trophy, instead of all 35 in Afterbirth +.

There are less requirements to unlock godhead in rebirth, but the added holy mantle in afterbirth makes the character much much easier, and imo makes it a fun character to play as.

Two secrets, super meat boy and bandage girl are MUCH harder to do in rebirth and are made significantly easier in afterbirth / afterbirth +.

What I did as I played the game on the Vita and had done everything bar the super meat boy and bandage girl secrets was get as close to 100% as possible then import save into afterbirth + to get remaining items and secrets. Greed mode makes it much easier to get remaining items as it is very easy to break the game in that mode and get close to all items. I did the lost in rebirth but you would be able to do it in afterbirth, just with more steps (donating to greed machine as well as beating greed modes and hush, delirium and mega satan). 

Hope this helps! :)