Noise coming from Xbox One S while it's off

drthomys

Hey,

I noticed today that my barely used Xbox One S makes a buzzing, electrical noise when it is completely shut off. It is not very loud, but if you get close to the console, there is no denying it. I own quite a few consoles and have never noticed one ever behaving like this. Because of this I am a bit worried. 

I've googled the issue and this seems to be a problem, or to have less negative connotations: stituation, that has been discussed quite a bit over the last few years. Usually in those threads there is someone who says that the console needs to activate the power saving mode, but often the sounds coming from the console persist anyway. For me, this is the case as well. I have also tried the Full Shutdown option, still the sound never fully stops. 

Ultimately, I think I'd be able to disregard these sounds, but for that to happen I would have to know that this is just normal - for whatever reason. Maybe someone has insight into this. In the threads I've encountered, there seems to be two camps; one claiming that the noises coming from the console when it's shut off are normal, others pushing people to replace their console because it's apparently broken. 

Are these sounds "normal"? Should I be worried? Have you experienced this yourself?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

Edit: I can now say that not every Xbox One S sounds like mine did. So it may be a common thing, but those sounds definitely weren't right. Got a new one now and it's very quiet.

Edited by drthomys

41 minutes ago, drthomys said:

Hey,

I noticed today that my barely used Xbox One S makes a buzzing, electrical noise when it is completely shut off. It is not very loud, but if you get close to the console, there is no denying it. I own quite a few consoles and have never noticed one ever behaving like this. Because of this I am a bit worried. 

I've googled the issue and this seems to be a problem, or to have less negative connotations: stituation, that has been discussed quite a bit over the last few years. Usually in those threads there is someone who says that the console needs to activate the power saving mode, but often the sounds coming from the console persist anyway. For me, this is the case as well. I have also tried the Full Shutdown option, still the sound never fully stops. 

Ultimately, I think I'd be able to disregard these sounds, but for that to happen I would have to know that this is just normal - for whatever reason. Maybe someone has insight into this. In the threads I've encountered, there seems to be two camps; one claiming that the noises coming from the console when it's shut off are normal, others pushing people to replace their console because it's apparently broken. 

Are these sounds "normal"? Should I be worried? Have you experienced this yourself?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

I've experienced this with a cable box, and it was due to improper shielding causing electrical interference. I don't know if it's the same problem with the xbox one s, but you may have better luck posting this on a hardware forum. Try the official xbox forums, tom's hardware, or even the xbox subreddit for help.

• Like 1

While in rest/sleep mode, it may be running some low-power OS functions. If you unplug the unit completely and it still makes sounds, you've got an infestation.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I've experienced this with a cable box, and it was due to improper shielding causing electrical interference. I don't know if it's the same problem with the xbox one s, but you may have better luck posting this on a hardware forum. Try the official xbox forums, tom's hardware, or even the xbox subreddit for help.

I guess I will eventually try those forums, but I thought I might be able to get valuable input here, too. 

2 minutes ago, Helyx said:

While in rest/sleep mode, it may be running some low-power OS functions. If you unplug the unit completely and it still makes sounds, you've got an infestation.

If I unplug it, the sounds instantly stop.