Should I get Code Vein?

DarkRose025

Hello fellow new or old souls like gamer fans. I want to know if I should get this game? I played the demo before. It plays similar to Fromsoftware's Soulsborne games and Nioh. Please give me at least five reasons why I should get hooked with this souls like franchise? Also, should I buy this game now or wait for it to be on a sale?

Edited by DarkRose025

This will be tough as i am not a Souls fan but i really did love Code Vein (also Bloodbourne and Nioh). The character customization is pretty decent if you like customization. There are plenty of play-styles and strong weapons with the Blood Codes. You can run with a AI member or solo (for more difficulty), NG+ can be the same or harder with difficulty options. Personally I really enjoyed it as the combat felt smooth and fluid unlike Souls games and I would say it is about even with Bloodbourne but not as fast paced.

If you enjoyed the demo I would say go a head and get it otherwise wait for a price drop.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Void said:

This will be tough as i am not a Souls fan but i really did love Code Vein (also Bloodbourne and Nioh). The character customization is pretty decent if you like customization. There are plenty of play-styles and strong weapons with the Blood Codes. You can run with a AI member or solo (for more difficulty), NG+ can be the same or harder with difficulty options. Personally I really enjoyed it as the combat felt smooth and fluid unlike Souls games and I would say it is about even with Bloodbourne but not as fast paced.

If you enjoyed the demo I would say go a head and get it otherwise wait for a price drop.

I actually want to try the demo out again. It might change my perspective of the game. Thank you for your honest experience and opinions. I'll keep those things in mind. Maybe it could go on sale in this Summer season.

Edited by DarkRose025

i tried since i really like the game. I have not played any of the "dlc"s though but they are a lot harder form what i hear.

1 minute ago, Ilzaki said:

Top Five Reasons to play Code Vein:

5.  Crazy Character Customization 

No joke, the character creator is the first boss.

4.  Good music

I love the music.  Like halfway, there's this AMV scene and it's cheesy and edgy as all get out and I loved every moment of it.

3.  Pretty good difficulty

It's easier than your average Soulsborne game.  You have an AI partner who can grab aggro if you need to back off and heal and they can raise you.  But you can go solo and ramp the difficulty up.  Like someone did it and they said "Smough and Ornstein" of this game is the hardest fight out of any Soulsborne they've played.

2.  Varied levels

The game is pretty.  The Cathedral and Snowy Mountain really stand out.

1.  AND the Number One reason to play Code Vein

EW5ik1FWsAQVS1g.jpg

That is pretty funny

• Like 2

I really liked it, both the combat & story were pretty enjoyable. :D Although my main interest in the story is the connection to the God Eater series, so if you've never played those, you may not get as much out of it. :hmm:

But you can get it for what, around $30 now? I think it's definitely worth that, especially if you like the "souls" genre (I've only played Demon's Souls & Nioh, with Nioh being the only one I enjoyed).

11 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

5.  Crazy Character Customization 

No joke, the character creator is the first boss.

This is true... I think I spent at least an hour messing with my character before I even started the game. ?

• Like 1

There's maybe for some 1 problem if one interested in platinum.  A trophy for getting 400 medals to increase your Rank to max . Meaning defeat 400 bosses in multiplayer, takes about 10hours maybe. 

That didn't bother me, the endings were more annoying cuz they weren't clear enough 

Edited by Abyss_Dreamer

9 minutes ago, Masamune said:

I really liked it, both the combat & story were pretty enjoyable. :D Although my main interest in the story is the connection to the God Eater series, so if you've never played those, you may not get as much out of it. :hmm:

But you can get it for what, around $30 now? I think it's definitely worth that, especially if you like the "souls" genre (I've only played Demon's Souls & Nioh, with Nioh being the only one I enjoyed).

This is true... I think I spent at least an hour messing with my character before I even started the game. 1f602.png

Well, I did played and platinumed all of FromSoftware's soulsborne games like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3. Also including Bloodborne and their single player ninja game, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice. I'm currently playing Dark Souls Remastered at the moment. I noticed that the remastered and Code Vein graphics run very smooth and fast at 60 FPS on my 2015 COD Black Ops 4 ps4 console. That's something I wouldn't get unless I get the PC versions of these games.

Edited by DarkRose025

As someone that has never played God Eater and stayed away from the Demon Souls games because of the perceived difficulty, I can honeatly say this is an aweaome game.

I found the artstyle decent, gameplay smooth yet difficult, and a true to form anime storyline.

The only thing I would say is that for certain boss, the moth and final boss, having help from a real person is almost essetial your first time through

• Like 1

It's a weeb Dark Souls, I think that's enought reasons to pick it up asap.

I played it on release and this game made me to stay up all night and I didn't have this feeling with games lately.
Combat is smooth, story is ok, design is great as long as your ok with anime style.
The game isn't very hard - you can use help of the other players like in DS.
And with right build you can "cheese" literally everything.

If you are a Soulslike fan, then go and pick it up, but don't expect something on the level of FromSoftware titles. Code Vein is full of uninteresting, dull cutscenes and also it's level design is sometimes utter trash (I'm looking at you cathedral of the sacred blood)

The combat is fun, boss fights are alright and if you're into anime stuff, then you will also highly appreciate the character creator.

• Like 1

If you really want to play it then yeah I would wait for it to go on sale. I'm one of the people that didn't really like it, but I'll go ahead and say it's not the worst game I've ever played or one of the worst in general but I feel like the game falls flat on itself after the first few hours and didn't really get better as it went on. For starters, it feels like it really wants to be like Dark Souls but doesn't really know what made those games work and the biggest offender comes from the level design. Early on the levels start out fine but once you get to the Cathedral area that totally isn't Anor Londo from Dark Souls, the level design takes a very confusing turn, and most of the time the levels and their layouts will be convoluted more than anything.

In the mentioned Cathedral area there are a lot of turns and paths that you can take which sounds fine at first but it's made annoying and confusing to traverse because not only is the map not really useful but everything looks the same, as in the whole level is white bricks/walls with all these different turns that lead to dead ends or places you have already been in. And to make matters worse there are ladders you have to lower using switches, but when you use these switches it will lower a ladder across the map and it's hard to tell which one you actually lowered because you only get a vague idea of where the ladder is from the minimap, but you also have to differentiate the ladder you lowered with other ladder icons on the map, so you have to guess which ladder you lowered. And not only that but it's entirely possible that you will wind up going in circles trying to look for the path you need to go on because the actual way to progress is to jump down some specific ledge that doesn't look like it actually leads anywhere.

And that's only the first area of the Cathedral. The second area is more or less the same thing except there are more walls that all look the same. In Dark Souls or Bloodborne there are areas that can look the same but there are landmarks in the levels that help you remember a certain spot easier. In those games cases, it's either something that stands out from the environment, or just something that you will easily be able to tell you have been there. But in Code Vein there is barely anything that helps you identify these rooms or locations differently except one room or hallway that looks like a dozen others will have like a body or some boxes, and even then the room in question might not actually lead to you progressing. Levels after that are pretty much the same, and while some aren't so frustrating to navigate, the ones that are really are, especially near the end. The worst two are the big fire level and the underground labyrinth.

But also like Soulsborne, there are shortcuts that you can find to make navigating the levels easier but sometimes even those can be hard to find or you have to go out of your way to go across the map to get a key or pull a switch for. In Dark Souls and Bloodborne the levels feel like they are crafted by someone that really took the time to sit down and design an area. The best examples of this is Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo for me. Sen's Fortress has a lot of depth and layers to it that it feels like they actually got some kind of architect to design the level, and Anor Londo has puzzle elements that help you unlock more of the stage and it feels like a believable city. In Code Vein it feels like they wanted to have cool levels, but then they kept slapping ladders and dead ends and tunnels and ledges all over the place and as a result they become more of a drag and aren't really fun to explore.

So now that I've complained about the level design for far longer than I probably should have, I'll go into the gameplay and story which I don't really have much to say about. The gameplay is fine from what I recall, and it doesn't really have that Dark Souls difficulty especially once you upgrade your stuff. Although some of the bosses near the end were pretty annoying. The story though I stopped paying attention to I think halfway in because I had no idea what was going on, which is a shame because I hate to do that. All I knew was Io was a nice girl but I wish she were in a different game.

So yeah, there's my hot take on the game. Now obviously I'm not telling you to never touch the game but I know a lot of people, myself included, expected Anime Souls which is sort of what you get but the game really just comes off as wanting to be Dark Souls with it's own twist but it winds up not really doing anything unique except for I guess the character creation which actually is pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's a saving grace. I also think the game is much better with a friend to play with, so if you see it on sale and have a friend that wants to get it, I would at least play it that way.

• Like 4

You've played a lot of Souls games so the game play isn't going to clash with you. It's in essence Souls games yeah, but generally easier (still some bite to it) as you have an AI partner.

Issue @Redgrave mentions is real, heard it a lot. The opening levels are a nice length and then BAM, it hits you with the Cathedral of the Sacred Blood which is like the size of all the levels up to that point combined. To a lot of people that level is really bad and really drags the game down for them. Levels afterwards go back to more reasonable lengths. Cathedral is like a final dungeon that they put in the middle of the game for some reason, though I suppose in terms of story it is justified as it is this big important fortress guarding something very important.

If I had to distil it down to 5 reasons:

1: Character customisation is good. It takes control away from you in editing the face directly, as that is where most people mess up, but as it has an anime aesthetic and allows you to customise a lot you don't really miss it. I personally took a good long time making Rozalin from Disgaea 2. Customiser is good enough to the point I was able to do her hair and add in aspects of her costume such as the ribbons, gems, so forth. Obviously it was not 1 for 1, but enough that it left me enjoying my handiwork.

2: The music is a treat. 

3: This may or may not matter to you, but unlike Souls it has a villain that is making moves out in the open and not just sitting in their dungeon doing nothing after having done their lore explained villainy. 

4: It goes for that bleak Souls vibe, and while some people think it does it worse... I actually do like the more personal aspect to them where you see actual people all despairing and such. I always looked forward to getting to see another memory of the blood codes. Song that plays during these scenes, Memory of the Lost, is excellent.

5: There is more to the combat than in Souls games. You're generally more active, you have loads of moves and passives you can equip once you've unlocked them from the blood codes. From what I recall equipment upgrading is also not so bad as you have less pieces to upgrade and materials aren't that bad to get.

Be warned though if going for the plat. The medal trophy requires 400 and you'll be wanting a online partner to do the grind with. To explain, killing a boss with another player gets you a medal 100%. There are these things called depth maps which house X amount of bosses, I used one of the early ones that has... 3? 4 bosses? I forget. They're in no way tough but you need someone there with you to guarantee the drop. I played it right after it's release so I just did it with randoms as I could find players quickly to grind it. You however likely would need a dedicated booster to do it if you go for it.

• Like 1

If you want it definitely wait for a sale. I can't give you 5 reasons but I'll give you some why I think it's a mediocre game.

-It's an easy game. FromSoftware's games are known to have a difficulty that this game failed to replicate. It's a plethora of things from having partners to an extremely generous skill system. None of the enemy attack patterns are hard to memorize as well and they lack a variety after awhile. The level design is straightforward besides the cathedral for some so that challenge is removed as well.

-The story was bland in my opinion. Nothing really special happens. Maybe you'll like it. It's not exactly a bad story I question the people who do like it.

-Getting the platinum was awful. It's mandatory to playthrough the whole game 3 times, an extra 4th time if you don't catch the not so obvious alternate ending for the true ending (Look that up beforehand). As well, there's an extra 10+ hour grind that requires online and is the most boring and tedious thing ever. Not everyone cares about trophies though so it's understandable that some won't care about this.

Edited by MandA60VISE
  • Like 1

I played it not too long ago (maybe 6 months after release) and even doing the 400 medal trophy solo wasn't too bad. I did it in one of the newer areas and it took maybe 10 hours or so, atleast I remember I did it in a single day, very tedious but certainly doable.

One thing to note tho is this game has quite a few places of frame drops, but if you can manage that its a pretty good game overall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, someluckyzero said:

I would recommend not buying the dlc since its shit

I'm not planning to buy the DLCs early. I'm gonna wait for either the complete edition or the annual Bandai Namco sales on this coming September 2020. I hope the PS Store has the digital Code Vein complete edition or DLCs on sale at that time later this year...

Edited by DarkRose025
Small editing on comment

For anyone who can provide me with some input, would you recommend this game for someone who isn't a fan of the souls genre? I played Dark souls and bloodborne and never finished either one but CV catches my interest for some reason. I played the demo (didn't finished it) and I somewhat enjoyed it, but again, hard to invest into a game that I probably won't enjoy due to the soul-vibe of the game itself. 

After trying out the demo close to two weeks since I asked this question... It's not bad. I have some goods and bads about the demo so far. The English dub voice cast and the anime art style are amazing. I also liked having AI partners like Louis and Yakumo. The goods are the bosses almost reminded me from the Dark Souls games whenever you parry their attacks. 

Now for the bads. The controls are odd because the running and roll buttons are in different buttons. In Demon's Souls, the Dark Souls trilogy, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Nioh games, they let you use both the run and roll mechanics on the same circle button. I wished you can manually assign run and roll on the same button. Also, I really want to dual wield weapons at the same time for some of the classes or blood codes in this case. And sometimes the enemies can be predictable with their moves.

Another thing someone said if I should get this game for 30 bucks. At the time of this posting, I found out the game had a price drop in some websites. It turned out the game went to $20 USD for retailers like Amazon, Ebay, Best Buy, Gamestop for USA or EbGames for Canada. So I'm gonna keep playing the demo until the season pass or the complete edition goes on sale before I get this game.

Edited by DarkRose025
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

as someone who was dedicated enough to write the guide, you get used to the different controls and its quite a bit easier than the Souls games. Yes the enemy AI can be predictable but the range of customization and the different classes you can utilize make for very entertaining gameplay. Definitely try to pick it up on the cheap, I found it incredibly enjoyable!