One Shot Question

CaitanyaSingh

I can't trust my reflexes to be able to pause the game before the kill animations finishes. So this is my strategy. I save twice at every save station. If (when) I die, I'll let the animation finish and the save icon appear in the corner. Then, I load my prior/previous save. I am now on a clean no-deaths save. Now, I save at the save station where I've respawned AGAIN. So if I die again, I'll just save prior save file. This way, I always have one free no-death save file. My reasoning is that when I've saved after respawning, I've started a new continuity where if I die and load prior save, it'll take me to the continuity before I started the alternate continuity where I died. ....this is confusing, am I making any sense?

2 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

I justed paused the game ... I know you said you cant do this? But thats how I did it 

Yeah that's what I'm doing as well. I've died a few times, but I always manage to load my save before the death animation ends. Hopefully this works.

• Like 1

With the method you are using you don't need to worry. it will work without any issue and ensure that you always have one secure save.  It's very time consuming though, right? I remember there was a pretty long cool-down time for the save points to be available again. Anyway for the later levels I used the same method you descirbed  since I screwed up at one point during my first playthrough and wanted to avoid a third playthrough at all costs ?

EDIT: Okay just saw that you already got the Platinum anyway. Congrats!

Edited by mizimmer

• 7 months later...

I just completed the game on hard mode, tried for one shot but I died during mission 18 when I was hit by the transit car.. I reloaded the previous save and got to the end of the game without a hitch. Is there anyway of me achieving one shot without having to play through the whole game again?

On 2/16/2021 at 6:48 PM, junior107 said:

I just completed the game on hard mode, tried for one shot but I died during mission 18 when I was hit by the transit car.. I reloaded the previous save and got to the end of the game without a hitch. Is there anyway of me achieving one shot without having to play through the whole game again?

Only way is if you have a previous save (cloud/ USB save) before the death as I don't believe you can get it via chapter select. But given it is so late into the game it might not hurt to try just in case. 

I'm playing through again on normal difficulty, so much easier than hard mode, like a walk in the park! However, I may have messed up again last night as I accidentally killed a friendly NPC thinking he was a looter. I reloaded save but I'm worried that his death counts as a death for me. If I successfully negotiate through the rest of the game death-free and One Shot doesn't pop I'm going to bin the game off, can't be bothered with a third playthrough. I have got a big queue of other games waiting to be played

• 3 months later...

I've tried completing the game on Novice using the "pause before you die" method, but still didn't get the trophy.  I'm pretty sure that I got attacked by facehuggers and reloaded CURRENT save during chapter 14. However, as I got the "Mind Your Step" trophy upon exiting the area, I thought that I was in the clear and continued to the end.

This has got me thinking that "Mind your step" and "One shot" are tracked differently by the game, and if you get the first one, you are not guaranteed to get the other. This may also be the case for "Just out of reach" and "Hide. Run. Survive."

I'm going to replay all the way from chapter 14 again in order to test this, but this seems to be the case, as I don't recall anything else throughout my playthrough that could've voided my no death run.

UPDATE: Yep, turns out I was right. I've just replayed the game from chapter 14 to the end. Got caught by the alien several times but made sure to quickly pause before the death animation went through completely. The only difference being is that this time I didn't allow any facehugger to get to me. In the end, "One shot" popped. What I can conclude from this is that the facehugger death is pretty much instantaneous, it is registered even before the save symbol actually appears. As soon as it attaches to you, your current save is ruined for the purposes of "One shot." However, it is NOT ruined for the purposes of "Mind your step," which seems very inconsistent and illogical. So my advice is to keep this in mind.

Edited by JalXander
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2021-05-31 at 2:45 AM, JalXander said:

UPDATE: Yep, turns out I was right. I've just replayed the game from chapter 14 to the end. Got caught by the alien several times but made sure to quickly pause before the death animation went through completely. The only difference being is that this time I didn't allow any facehugger to get to me. In the end, "One shot" popped. What I can conclude from this is that the facehugger death is pretty much instantaneous, it is registered even before the save symbol actually appears. As soon as it attaches to you, your current save is ruined for the purposes of "One shot." However, it is NOT ruined for the purposes of "Mind your step," which seems very inconsistent and illogical. So my advice is to keep this in mind.

Very good to know, thank you!!

• 1 month later...

Ok, so... if anyone can help me with this, I'd be very grateful.

I was a moron and "accidentally" attacked a civilian during my One Shot run (I'm also going for the Kill 10 Humans trophy), and as a result I got a Game Over screen. So unsure if this would count as a death, I loaded my PREVIOUS save, instead of my CURRENT one. The first thing I do on my previous save file, is walk straight under a vent that has an Alien, so I get killed. Now, I press Options almost immediately and reload my CURRENT save, BEFORE the death animation is completed. I also recorded my gameplay footage, played it back, and made sure the autosave-cassette tape logo wasn't there when I "died", and it thankfully wasn't. Does that mean that I'm still good on my One Shot run? Or does the death count before the animation has finished? I think I'm in the clear, but I want to be sure.

1 hour ago, Maahniac said:

Ok, so... if anyone can help me with this, I'd be very grateful.

I was a moron and "accidentally" attacked a civilian during my One Shot run (I'm also going for the Kill 10 Humans trophy), and as a result I got a Game Over screen. So unsure if this would count as a death, I loaded my PREVIOUS save, instead of my CURRENT one. The first thing I do on my previous save file, is walk straight under a vent that has an Alien, so I get killed. Now, I press Options almost immediately and reload my CURRENT save, BEFORE the death animation is completed. I also recorded my gameplay footage, played it back, and made sure the autosave-cassette tape logo wasn't there when I "died", and it thankfully wasn't. Does that mean that I'm still good on my One Shot run? Or does the death count before the animation has finished? I think I'm in the clear, but I want to be sure.

Sounds like you should be okay ! Do you have an earlier save before hand just incase ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DB_GAMING29 said:

Sounds like you should be okay ! Do you have an earlier save before hand just incase ?

No :( My current save was at the Transit station where I attacked the civilian, and my previous save was about 3 minutes earlier at an area with a lot of androids (and an alien in a vent, apparently). But thanks, I hope you are right!

3 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

@Maahniac

Yea, you should be fine.  One my deaths when doing One Shot was me crawling right into the Xeno in a vent.  As long as you can pause and reload you'll be fine.  Why the face huggers later are so scary.  Once the animation starts it's too late.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to those at all. Thankfully, I got the impression on my first playthrough that they always appear in the same areas, so I guess it's possible to memorize them. There's one in a tiny crawlspace in Mission 14 that is very tricky however, and will undoubtedly be super frustrating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so pissed off. I just finished a second "no death" playthrough and was positive I had my ass covered as far as reloading saves during the few times I was going to die and the One Shot trophy didn't pop at the end of the game. Hours of time wasted. For any occurrences where I wasn't sure I reloaded in time I even went back to the previous save to be safe. Aside from that one I only had the "die 100 times" trophy to farm a little and the trophy for not getting grabbed by an android in mission 4 or 5, which I now can't be bothered getting since the platinum quest is dead.

Great game, but I ain't doing a third playthrough. Yet another frustrating platinum hunting experience that really makes me wonder what the f*ck I'm doing with my life.?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 22.10.2021 at 7:23 PM, drfk168 said:

Great game, but I ain't doing a third playthrough. Yet another frustrating platinum hunting experience that really makes me wonder what the f*ck I'm doing with my life.1f914.png

Try again bro! It will be so satisfying for you when it pops!

I botched my own run just now, I think it’s because I got ran over by a train at chapter 18 ? I have a cloud save I am going to try and boot up tomorrow, but if it doesn’t work I will just start a new game on novice and speed run it. 

just make sure you always make Cloud Backup saves :) And if you at any point have to even think about “did I pause fast enough?” Just be on the safe side and boot that backup save up instead of pushing forwards. This game is no joke to platinum my friend?