For anyone that drives

Cryogenicide_X

me, i drive an automatic. don't even know how to drive a standard. buy the time i was old enough to learn it was just me and my mother. she taught me to drive and had very bad knees so working 3 pedals as oposed to just 2 was too hard for her so she'd switched to driving an automatic. its what i learned on and have only attempted a standard a few times to horrible results. 

but if youre asking which is better? thats just a matter of preference. automatics are easier to learn on but the transmissions are as reliable from what ive experienced.

Edited by funboy1246
added a bit

Semiautomatic, with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. It is fastest, most comfortable, performance wise option. Was a big fan of manual transmissions with H-pattern and clutch, but they are kinda suit only classics, and really hard to use in traffic jams. As for the standard, automatic gearboxes are trash, always slow, stupid and clunky. Even in decent Mercs you will still feel that weird jumps from gears or huge gaps.

both...that way I can drive any car...currently own two automatics since that's what's most commonly stocked at dealerships here...I wanted all the bells and whistles in my cars and the dealer had one that was automatic, the other has the option of both with paddle shifters as the 2nd option...

Well, my motorcycle is a manual but that doesn't really count. It is not quite the same when it comes to a car. However, I can drive both automatic and manual. I grew up in Detroit, which is known as the Motor City. Come winter time, you buy a cheap car because its very likely you will get into an accident. So, I had several manual vehicles. Including a 70 mustang, early 80's VW Golf, late 70's Dodge Ram, late 80's Honda Civic, and a 72 Nova just to name a few. 

• Like 1

I own a manual.  I always found that it made driving more interesting to me.  Also, I never wanted to end up in a situation where someone needed a driver, and I couldn't drive their car because I couldn't drive a manual.  That said, I do appreciate the idea of an automatic whenever I am stuck in stop and go traffic lol.

• Like 1

Manual transmission is more fun.  Makes me feel kind of... one with the car.  When my car had to get repairs done and I had to drive a rental with an automatic for a week, it felt more like a video game where I was fake-driving :D  The only time I sort of wouldn't mind an automatic is when there's stop-and-creep traffic.  Gets kind of painful on the ol' clutch knee.

I love manual transmission. I first tried to learn on a GF's terrible old Toyota Corolla from like the 90's, and I was convinced I was terrible. Then we got a more modern Jetta and I realized "oh, I'm not bad at driving, your car just sucks!" She didn't take it well.

Now I live in San Francisco, and the idea of trying to start/stop a standard transmission on these hills is terrifying.

Automatic as my license is automatic, I was too lazy to learn a manual so I took the easy road and just passed the test in the automatic. I live in the UK and driving tests are insanely hard here, thr manual pass rate is less than 40%, so most people fail and need a few goes. I didn't want to do all that as I needed a car quickly for work, and automatic was the quickest option. Another reason was that I would never buy a manual car anyway, so I didn't see the point in it. I'm not too bothered about specific models that are only manual like the honda civic type R etc. All the cars I was interested like Mercedes and BMW  had automatic transmission available anyway. 

• Like 1