What Horror Game Still Scares You?

Kristen Danielle 2

Mine's also Siren, but on PS3. While I haven't played the PS2 version, the PS3 one makes me pretty uncomfortable. It has the elements I enjoy from japanese horror movies, but since you are put "on the wheel" of the story, it's way more unsettling than just watching it. The atmosphere has that "what if?" feeling, making it possible to imagine different scenarios for every situation. I like it, but it scares me to hell.

• Like 2

Just now, Folkenio said:

Mine's also Siren, but on PS3. While I haven't played the PS2 version, the PS3 one makes me pretty uncomfortable. It has the elements I enjoy from japanese horror movies, but since you are put "on the wheel" of the story, it's way more unsettling than just watching it. The atmosphere has that "what if?" feeling, making it possible to imagine different scenarios for every situation. I like it, but it scares me to hell.

Nice! I always heard that it was kind of a rip-off of Silent Hill. I guess they were wrong about that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Scare isnt the right word but when you arent overpowered in Bioshock seeing a Big Daddy can put the fear into you (later in the game I just feel bad for them as they slowly die not understanding why security droids are killing them ? ).

I feel that way when I run into Pyramid Head in the labyrinth of Silent Hill 2. There's no amount of "overpowered" that can stop him, so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Scare isnt the right word but when you arent overpowered in Bioshock seeing a Big Daddy can put the fear into you (later in the game I just feel bad for them as they slowly die not understanding why security droids are killing them ? ).

That happened to me as well, but the real deal was with the Big Sister on Bioshock 2.

6 minutes ago, Folkenio said:

That happened to me as well, but the real deal was with the Big Sister on Bioshock 2.

I haven't played Bioshock 2 yet but really want to. I am saving Bioshock 1 - PS4 for my 299 plat (as Bioshock - PS3 was my 99th plat) so I will play it after that finally :)

6 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I feel that way when I run into Pyramid Head in the labyrinth of Silent Hill 2. There's no amount of "overpowered" that can stop him, so.

Yeah, I accidentally discovered how to destroy Big Daddies in Bioshock so like I said it becomes sad actually as you see them flay around not knowing what is happening (and if you know how Big Daddies are created it is even more sad).

Pyramid Head is a different story though...except for the movies where he is your BEST friend :D (seriously why was Pyramid Head the protector of Heather in Silent Hill Revelations)

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I haven't played Bioshock 2 yet but really want to. I am saving Bioshock 1 - PS4 for my 299 plat (as Bioshock - PS3 was my 99th plat) so I will play it after that finally :)

Yeah, I accidentally discovered how to destroy Big Daddies in Bioshock so like I said it becomes sad actually as you see them flay around not knowing what is happening (and if you know how Big Daddies are created it is even more sad).

Pyramid Head is a different story though...except for the movies where he is your BEST friend :D (seriously why was Pyramid Head the protector of Heather in Silent Hill Revelations)

I don't watch those movies. lol Well, I saw the first one once in the theater and it sucked, so I never saw the second one. I did enjoy the one scene where PH rips the girl's skin off, though. Resident Evil's movies were alright as stand-alone films, but if you compare them to the games, also sucked. Who ever heard of a romantically-involved Nemesis? Preposterous!

Dino Crisis did give me a few scares as a kid, one of them I still get freezed over.

The First T Rex encounter, I can't get to it anymore, I always love to play the begining of DC then get to that room and I stop playing it. There was one time I actually did it and beat the entire game, but recently I tried again and I couldn't as the fear came back when I thought I was already over it.

I also get really scared over the part when Regina is about to be thrown into an active fan

And the part when a crate is going to crush her. But now QTE are easy to me so I'm sure I won't have to "see" that again

Resident evil 2 Used to scare me at the alligator part, I eventually got over it and spedran the game over 100 times, however with the remake the fear came back and I had to see a video of the Alligator scene before encountering it myself. Now I'm over it tho

Resident evil 3 Remake, I still can't get over the Hunter Gammas, I had to play that sewers part over 5 times because of trophies but I never got over my fear of them, I've always been scared of Instant deaths by being eaten, this is not exclusive to horror games but also children games such as the fish in Super Mario 3 and 64. And the ones in Yoshi's story.

• Like 2

The Rule of Rose. My dad would give me a bunch if random ps2/gameboy games whenever he came home from deployment and this game was one of them. The monsters never scared me back then but the little girls always creeped me out. I recently discovered I still had the game when going through my routinely ps2 nostalgia phase and played it. Its not a good game and it hads horrible controls but I still feel dread and get creeped out everytime I have  see the girls. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I don't watch those movies. lol Well, I saw the first one once in the theater and it sucked, so I never saw the second one. I did enjoy the one scene where PH rips the girl's skin off, though. Resident Evil's movies were alright as stand-alone films, but if you compare them to the games, also sucked. Who ever heard of a romantically-involved Nemesis? Preposterous!

Don't watch the sequel it is terrible.

But if you haven't seen it watch Jacob's Ladder. It is the movie that influenced Silent Hill

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Don't watch the sequel it is terrible.

But if you haven't seen it watch Jacob's Ladder. It is the movie that influenced Silent Hill

There were some scenes from this film that Masahiro Ito said inspired some of his art, but it was a Japanese film that inspired most of it. I can't remember the name of it now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

#1 is PT. I've never played anything more terrifying and haunting. Also, Resident Evil 7 in VR. Something about getting chased by Jack in VR is just utterly terrifying.

I never had the pleasure, but I felt Kojima or whoever took it a little far with the infant. I do intend to play RE7 at some point, though!

Outlast. Having my battery run out when I was being chased, only to escape in the pitch black, somehow find another battery, turning my camera back on at the exact moment someone appeared right in my face. I don't scare easily but that got me good. 

There was also another moment in Outlast. I was playing it with my friend and we were in a tiny room at my old apartment, in the dark. It was a really intense moment, again being chased. Could hear the enemy smashing on doors looking for me. The game went silent for a few seconds, but at that exact moment my partner banged on the door behind us. My friend and I nearly shit ourselves, haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayoama said:

There was also another moment in Outlast. I was playing it with my friend and we were in a tiny room at my old apartment, in the dark. It was a really intense moment, again being chased. Could hear the enemy smashing on doors looking for me. The game went silent for a few seconds, but at that exact moment my partner banged on the door behind us. My friend and I nearly shit ourselves, haha

I haven't played that one since I wouldn't be able to play the second one (I'm a Christian), but I heard it was pretty intense. That would have scared me, too! My mom loves to come in my room at the worst moments.

• Like 1

The Thief series. Just something about the way those games use sound design for atmosphere... still unmatched for twenty years, and counting. Even the janky-even-for-its-time character animations remain a strength rather than a liability. I actually can't play them for too long at a time... that's how it goes when every second is spent in unrelenting tension.

As for something a bit more recent... Alien Isolation.

Extrapolation would be pointless.

• Like 3