What Horror Game Still Scares You?

Kristen Danielle 2

outlast 1 is a great game, there's a few moments where if you look really hard in the dark, you will see such obscene shit you'll never see in a game again. also the chases are terrifying.

outlast 2 is different, it's more what you don't see that's scary here. the religous overtones are just overtones, a reason why theese crazies are in the middle of nowhere but in truth the game is more of a journey of self discovery triggered by current events.

resident evil 7 is probably the scariest of the re games because it's genuinely on point in a few areas. and cleverly uses lighting to subvert expectations at just the right times, also mia with a chainsaw is pretty frightening. there's a bit of absurdity that takes you away from the experience but other then that it's great actually.

amnesia the dark descent is by far the best though, impeccably voiced monologue throughout from the mind of a man who has lost his memory other then a note, that was left for him by his former self he knows the memory loss was of his own doing. you get to explore a brilliantly creepy castle with this.. thing chasing you constantly throughout, the puzzles are very practical sometimes requiring you to rotate analogue sticks to twist a valve to raise a door before the enemy behind you runs up and smashes you into the floor it's probably the most tense and exciting of them all, and it has everything from slow burn creepy moments, exploration and reward, difficult puzzles with no handholding whatsoever to full on chases in the pitch black dark. also the additional hard mode challenged me and i've played it 10 times since it launched on pc years ago.

i've yet to experience horror games in vr. I was waiting for the psvr to get an upgrade tbh.

28 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

outlast 1 is a great game, there's a few moments where if you look really hard in the dark, you will see such obscene shit you'll never see in a game again. also the chases are terrifying.

outlast 2 is different, it's more what you don't see that's scary here. the religous overtones are just overtones, a reason why theese crazies are in the middle of nowhere but in truth the game is more of a journey of self discovery triggered by current events.

resident evil 7 is probably the scariest of the re games because it's genuinely on point in a few areas. and cleverly uses lighting to subvert expectations at just the right times, also mia with a chainsaw is pretty frightening. there's a bit of absurdity that takes you away from the experience but other then that it's great actually.

amnesia the dark descent is by far the best though, impeccably voiced monologue throughout from the mind of a man who has lost his memory other then a note, that was left for him by his former self he knows the memory loss was of his own doing. you get to explore a brilliantly creepy castle with this.. thing chasing you constantly throughout, the puzzles are very practical sometimes requiring you to rotate analogue sticks to twist a valve to raise a door before the enemy behind you runs up and smashes you into the floor it's probably the most tense and exciting of them all, and it has everything from slow burn creepy moments, exploration and reward, difficult puzzles with no handholding whatsoever to full on chases in the pitch black dark. also the additional hard mode challenged me and i've played it 10 times since it launched on pc years ago.

i've yet to experience horror games in vr. I was waiting for the psvr to get an upgrade tbh.

I could never do horror games in VR. That's way too scary. lol I once read someone on the GameFAQs forums say "Outlast 2 does everything it can to crap on Christianity." That was all I needed to hear to decide against it. I'm a member of the Christian Gamers Union community on the PS4, but to be honest, even if I wasn't a Christian, I don't do chases. Mr. X in RE2 is more than enough for me. I even get scared running away from the person with Sherry (name omitted to avoid unmarked spoilers). I could never play Outlast.

Amnesia: the lighting is so dim in the cellar and dungeon areas that not only are you afraid to take steps, but you're also afraid to turn on lights to regain sanity, for fear of what it will attract. The water area with the invisible things that chase you, the only notification that they are there is splashing water getting closer an closer as you try to parkour between boxes. The game just works because it puts you in positions where you aren't ready to take another step, but you MUST because if you don't your sanity meter will just continue to deplete. That and it's one of the few games that punishes you for looking at the monsters on screen, so now you have to know where they are without actually looking at them for to long or yet again your sanity drops.

RE7 VR: I use it as a form of entertainment on my family and friends during get togethers, something fun we always do is strap someone new in to this game and just let them go with minimal instruction. Some examples as follow (keep in mind none of them played non vr version, and none of them were warned of upcoming scares or even how to play): My mom was so terrified she never got past the found footage at the beginning, my step-dad beat the bathroom boss fight with a pocket knife ? (that was one serious fight, but he dug deep and got the W), wife took it off after Mia said HI! in the hallway, my 10 year old nephew took 20 minutes to get past the tutorial because "red letters are scary" ultimately he couldn't summon the courage to enter the house at the start of the game, and my brother probably did the best but decided he had enough after meeting granny in a hallway, he avoided her hall for an hour opting to explore other areas until he realized he had to go that way, but every time he got close to her he could hear her wheezing in his earpiece and he'd back away.

Edited by Asmund89

Pretty much the original Resident Evil. Halfway through the game, there's like a cutscene of some Licker, right after you head back to the mansion again. At first, it was terrifying, because that scene was out of nowhere. It was funny, though, because that was designed as a surprise.

1 minute ago, BadRep24 said:

Pretty much the original Resident Evil. Halfway through the game, there's like a cutscene of some Licker, right after you head back to the mansion again. At first, it was terrifying, because that scene was out of nowhere. It was funny, though, because that was designed as a surprise.

I thought Lickers didn't appear until RE2.

• Like 1

Do they all count? Cause I'm not good at horror games in general unless they're very pixelated. I get immersed in games too easily and I'm not good under stress. 

Fatal Frame, though, is my biggest nope game. It's also my favorite horror series. I have the first three on my PS3. Tried the first one. When my fear doesn't get me, Blinded Maiden makes me ragequit. Have managed to beat Spirit Camera, however. Twice. It puts you in your own environment and takes out a lot of the creepy atmosphere, so it's not very tense for me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hoshi said:

Do they all count? Cause I'm not good at horror games in general unless they're very pixelated. I get immersed in games too easily and I'm not good under stress. 

Fatal Frame, though, is my biggest nope game. It's also my favorite horror series. I have the first three on my PS3. Tried the first one. When my fear doesn't get me, Blinded Maiden makes me ragequit. Have managed to beat Spirit Camera, however. Twice. It puts you in your own environment and takes out a lot of the creepy atmosphere, so it's not very tense for me.

Fatal Frame is a nope game for me both because of my fear and because of my faith. I typically don't play games that feature malevolent spirits/demons unless they're totally blown so out of proportion that it's laughable. For example, the ghosts in Luigi's Mansion are fine and the silly looking horned demons in Dante's Inferno don't bother me either, but I wouldn't play anything like The Exorcist: Legion VR or Outlast.

Edited by Kristen Danielle