the Dark Souls Q&A help thread

skidmarkgn

Thanks Hitman and Maitre - yes, I also eventually figured out the basics of humanity. thanks again for the explanations, though.

Also note that some npcs phantoms will attack you as dark phantoms and if you beat them you can then summon them ... such is the case with mildred in blighttowns swamp area. and knight leeroy in the catacombs.

They makes nice boss decoys.

• Like 1

Also note that some npcs phantoms will attack you as dark phantoms and if you beat them you can then summon them ... such is the case with mildred in blighttowns swamp area. and knight leeroy in the catacombs. They makes nice boss decoys.

Nice... I killed Mildred but she didn't join me in the boss fight... was that because i had 2 other phantoms with me?

Nice... I killed Mildred but she didn't join me in the boss fight... was that because i had 2 other phantoms with me?

dunno either you missed her summon sign which is straight before the fog wall or you might to go back to the bonfire for the soul sign to appear.

dunno either you missed her summon sign which is straight before the fog wall or you might to go back to the bonfire for the soul sign to appear.

Oh i see... so you can summon her even if you have two other people co-oping? I usually try to summon two people into my game so that i can have the extra help with the bosses, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Also note that some npcs phantoms will attack you as dark phantoms and if you beat them you can then summon them ... such is the case with mildred in blighttowns swamp area. and knight leeroy in the catacombs.

Ah yes - thanks for this tip as well, matey.

I have yet to go back to Boletaria, or whatever the new Dark Souls gameland is called I forget...but good tip. Need to hit it up again ASAP.

i farmed early in the depths for titanite shards and basically double stoned on the rats for a crap ton of humanity, i had enough to pay the 30 humanity to lvl2 on the daughters of chaos and then upgraded like 90% of the bonfires.

If you feel like it you might as well continue on to kill the Globulous eye basilisks deeper below. They drop dead eyes which are needed to upgrade the gravelord covenant. Also note that you can summons the solaire npc for the gaping dragon to get a sunlight medal.

I was under the impression that you didn't have to join a covenant to get the trophy for it, but the trophy for the princess guard didn't ding for me when I talked to whats-her-face after Ornstein and Smough. Did I miss something, or do I have to actually join the covenant? I was offered and declined because I want to rank up in the Chaos covenant before joining another.

as far as i know you need to join but i'm not 100% sure ... i'm almost at Gwynevere (A.K.A whats-her-face lol)with one of my characters so i'll try and check it out

I've had a couple of instances where I've waited it out and the trophy pops without me actually joining the covenant. It may be a glitch ... it may not be. However, the trophy descriptions only say to 'discover' each covenant, so it would stand to reason that you don't necessarily have to join.

Yes, this is true, and is certainly a welcome addition from Demon's Souls, especially for folks who don't have internet or can't play online for some other reason. It offers then the chance to still be able to get some help with bosses.

Oh i see... so you can summon her even if you have two other people co-oping? I usually try to summon two people into my game so that i can have the extra help with the bosses, lol

I would venture to say that you already had two other people, so you aren't allowed to summon a third.

I would venture to say that you already had two other people, so you aren't allowed to summon a third.

yes actually... i didn't think about that...

but i was able to summon the guy for the iron giant fight....

on another note... does anyone know weather or not i can summon or be summoned in the painted world? it lets me put my sign down but i got no action and i usually get summoned quite often.

yes actually... i didn't think about that... but i was able to summon the guy for the iron giant fight.... on another note... does anyone know weather or not i can summon or be summoned in the painted world? it lets me put my sign down but i got no action and i usually get summoned quite often.

I wouldn't see why not. I'm not sure the painted world is a high-traffic area, though. I usually have a hard time getting summoned no matter where I put my ss. I tried to put it right outside the Ornstein and Smough fight one day and sat there for quite a while and only got one taker.

I wouldn't see why not. I'm not sure the painted world is a high-traffic area, though. I usually have a hard time getting summoned no matter where I put my ss. I tried to put it right outside the Ornstein and Smough fight one day and sat there for quite a while and only got one taker.

I guess it depends on where you are... once you get to the painted world you are stuck there until you complete it so maybe people dont go there on purpose... When i was at Sen's Fortress i was summoned about 20 times but the host kept dying, lol... so it all depends on where you are

I guess it depends on where you are... once you get to the painted world you are stuck there until you complete it so maybe people dont go there on purpose... When i was at Sen's Fortress i was summoned about 20 times but the host kept dying, lol... so it all depends on where you are

There seems to be a lot less of activity in the painted world perhaps because of the requirements to enter??

I was under the impression that you didn't have to join a covenant to get the trophy for it, but the trophy for the princess guard didn't ding for me when I talked to whats-her-face after Ornstein and Smough. Did I miss something, or do I have to actually join the covenant? I was offered and declined because I want to rank up in the Chaos covenant before joining another.

Sorry i forgot to confirm ... for the trophy to pop for covenant you need to talk until you reach the YES/NO and WAIT like 30 seconds or less.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO JOIN is confirmed.

• Like 1

Yes, this is pretty much it. That's what I figured.

That sucks for me because i have passed up two of them just to try to maintain the covenant that i was in, lol... oh well im sure i will go back and yuck it up with everyone once i get the lord vessel thingy...

still haven't passed the painted world yet... maybe tonight?

Got a couple of questions here for you chosen undead:

Firstly I was wondering about the uses of dragon scales. Now I know you can upgrade a few weapons with them and you can also give them to the dragon covenant to lvl up there but is that it? Neither of those things really apply to my character and it would be nice to have something else to do with 'em.

Also I've noticed that while I'm out doin ma thang that a little gold halo will appear above my head and magically I gain an extra estus flask. Wtf is up with that? I know it's not something I'm doing intentionally.

Got a couple of questions here for you chosen undead:

Firstly I was wondering about the uses of dragon scales. Now I know you can upgrade a few weapons with them and you can also give them to the dragon covenant to lvl up there but is that it? Neither of those things really apply to my character and it would be nice to have something else to do with 'em.

Also I've noticed that while I'm out doin ma thang that a little gold halo will appear above my head and magically I gain an extra estus flask. Wtf is up with that? I know it's not something I'm doing intentionally.

1-If you really don't use them ... framp can eat them for some souls.

2-when you become human it gives the previous person who rested at the bonfire an estus flask

when you updrade a bonfire it gives the previous person who rested at the bonfire 1 active humanity.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, pretty simple question-

I took a detour through New Londo after I got to Firelink Shrine. I went down the elevator, but got killed by the white-ghosty things inside. I went to retrieve my souls, but the elevator was still down in New Londo, and not at the top where I could descend. Did I fuck up?

Also- Taurus Demon Tips?

There is a lever on the immediate left side of the room you can pull to raise the elevator. I'd recommend staying out of New Londo until you progress a lot further though, the ghosts will swarm your ass off and you can't hit them unless you use a transient curse or wield a cursed weapon. Rule #1 in Dark Souls is don't sweat losing your souls because you'll drive yourself crazy.

As for the Taurus Demon: definitely start the fight with a plunge attack. After that what worked for me was keeping at a distance and using all the firebombs in my inventory (he's weak to fire), when your firebomb supply is depleted stay tight on him and try and run through his legs when he's swinging on you.

Now, how would I upgrade my spell into Combustion? Souls, or buy from a merchant?

Eventually you'll come across a couple of people who will sell the spells to you. I don't want to spoil anything for you but I will say this... if you come across any NPC's trapped in... say... a giant vase, make sure you roll into it to free them, DON'T ATTACK IT TO BREAK IT.

No prob. I know a couple of people who screwed themselves because they swung on everything, damn game will make you paranoid, lol.

yeah that was me... i messed that up... im one of the people who hit an NPC and couldnt use him to buy anything... maybe next playthrough

• 6 months later...