Spoiler alart! Can someone explain the story?

re-installer

I have just platinumed this game and I had a good time. However, I didn't quite follow the story. Don't call me idiot. Just kindly answer my question please! I got sidetracked as I had other commitments. Anyway,in my understanding, the dragon is a sort of selection program to find out a candidate(Arisen) for the next administrator / ruler of the world. When a candidate shows strong will and defeat the current ruler, he/she will be the next one. Am I right so far?

My question is, how pawns are related to this story and why your main pawn's soul is in the Arrisen's body in the end?

Also, would I understand the entire story better if I play the DLC?

• 2 months later...

A pawn is linked to an Arisen in some way, and eventually he or she will take control of the Arisen's body.

If you do all the sidequests related to Selene, you will meet Sophia, who was an Arisen long time ago, and you will find that Selene (who thinks that she is Sophia's grandoughter) is her pawn, now inside her body,

So, it is just a "natural process", when the Arisen stop ruling the world as the Senescal, his or her pawn takes control of the body of the Arisen and is able to live a regular life as a human, being able to make his or her own decisions.

The DLC tells you the story of another Arisen and his pawn, but ir doesn't make the story clearer.

Sorry about my English, I hope I wrote it clear enough to be understood.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is in a nutshell:

The World of the Dragon's Dogma is on a ever-turning wheel of fate, and every millennium or so it literally 'resets' itself. The whole world, including its inhabitants respawn, utterly oblivious. This cycle of rebith is looked after by a single god - and before the world can be reset, he must find a replacement for the next go-around. This is where the Arisen come in. There have been thousands of gods throughout the years, and all of them were arisen at one pount. There are many different people throughout the generations (part of a unique bloodline) who are qualified to become an Arisen. Once chosen, an Arisen most complete various trials and prove themselves worthy by slaying the Great Dragon (Who is immortal, and will eventually reincarnate to test the next arisen). If a arisen fails, he becomes a souless immortal being, whos job is to guide the next arisen.

Now apparently arisen (being a god-in-training), has the power to reach 'outside' the ever-turning-wheel and breath life into 'new' beings called Pawns. Apparently there are countless (identical) alternate-dimensions or 'universes' where other Arisen exist - they too have Pawns. Between each Universe is 'realm' that connects them all together, and it's in this dimension that pawns go when they die (sorta pawn-heaven). Throught the years some pawns have learned to travel thru the barrier separating 'other' worlds, and have even learned to network with other pawns. The only flaw in being a pawn, is that they are artificial - meaning they are incomplete  - they have no mortal soul.

When the Arisen has defeated  the Great Dragon and recovered his heart, he is summoned to heaven by (the acting) god, where s/he is given a choice: A.) As a final test, he can confront his earthly sins as he marches to heavens mantel, or B.) Turn back, forsaking his destiny. In which case, time is rewinded to 'before' he was chosen as Arisen. In this scenario, the apocalypse is delayed another hundred-plus years til another appropriate canidate is born.

If the Arisen choses to embrase his destiny and march to the mantel of heaven, confronting his sins (past), he must then slay god (the previous arisen) - If he does do, he then becomes the new god. At this point, he can choose to 'kill' the dethroned god (wipeing him from existence) or send him back to the mortal-coil to be reincarnated as a mortal one day. 

In eithercase, the new Arisen then must 'reset' the world - and as a 'parting gift' to his first (most faithful) pawn, they are given the remainder of the arisens mortal essence (ie: soul) and is sent back to earth to live out the remainder of his days as the arisen's dopple-ganger. Upon HIS death, the new god resets the world. 

* I hope this helps - it took me a while to write. I ain't played DD is about 2 years, so I had to go by memory :P. If anyone out there wants to post this somewhere else on the web, feel free.*

You pretty much got it right, except you left out one vital piece of information, that The Dragon is actually the form given to any Arisen who attempts to defeat the Seneschal & fails, they are then charged with seeking out another suitable candidate for the next Arisen.