Game crashing issues

damorocks1

Are you playing the Story or Time Attack?

Unfortunately this game is very prone to crashing. The trophyguide also mentions it.

Personally the game never crashed once during my 100 hours playing the Story. If the game crashes while playing the Story maybe try to reinstall the game to see if that fixes it.

However, in Time Attack/Boss Rush this game has crashed every single time! I just can’t get the Platinum. It’s infuriating.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm about to start this game have the crashes been patched? and are the crashes too prevalent? I bought this game a long time ago but I have avoided it because of the crashes, I don't want another Star Ocean 3 in my list where I love the game but it's so broken I can't finish it.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

35 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I'm about to start this game have the crashes being patched? and are the crashes too prevalent? I bought this game a long time ago but I have avoided it because of the crashes, I don't want another Star Ocean 3 in my list where I love the game but it's so broken I can't finish it.

There are no patches for the crashes. But it seems not everyone suffers from it. Some don’t even have crashes at all, but I for the example still haven’t been able to get the platinum for the last 1.5 years due to it. So you have to decide if you think it’s worth the gamble.

Edit: The game is great though.

Edited by Baker121

11 minutes ago, Baker121 said:

There are no patches for the crashes. But it seems not everyone suffers from it. Some don’t even have crashes at all, but I for the example still haven’t been able to get the platinum for the last 1.5 years due to it. So you have to decide if you think it’s worth the gamble.

Edit: The game is great though.

Dang that's depressing, I'm into YS recently I played Oath in Felghana and Ark of Nephystim and really liked them this game looks great but the problems with stability and the fact the platinum is long and difficult got me kinda worried, Star Ocean 3 broke me in that regard I have it since it was released but never finished it because after reaching the secret dungeon the game crashes every 5 minutes.....thanks for the quick reply since I already bought it I might try it and see how far I can get, can't believe they sell such a broken mess and get away with it.

Burritoprime.png

• 2 months later...

I finally managed to make it through the nightmare boss rush without it crashing on me! While I can't 100% confirm the causes of crashes, I've heard it could come from running the game continuously. The only time I've experienced crashing personally was retrying on the same boss over and over again, story or boss rush. I even made it to the final boss in one of my boss rush attempts only to have it crash on me after retrying 10+ times against him. What I did on my last successful run if crashes really do come from the game continuously running the same thing over and over, is that whenever I either died to a boss the first time, or died against the same boss 3x in a row, while it was on the retry screen, I put my system into rest mode to give it a break, then booted up immediately right back into retrying. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2021 at 8:07 AM, KyonKuchiki said:

I finally managed to make it through the nightmare boss rush without it crashing on me! While I can't 100% confirm the causes of crashes, I've heard it could come from running the game continuously. The only time I've experienced crashing personally was retrying on the same boss over and over again, story or boss rush. I even made it to the final boss in one of my boss rush attempts only to have it crash on me after retrying 10+ times against him. What I did on my last successful run if crashes really do come from the game continuously running the same thing over and over, is that whenever I either died to a boss the first time, or died against the same boss 3x in a row, while it was on the retry screen, I put my system into rest mode to give it a break, then booted up immediately right back into retrying. 

Ooooh, I was just about to get back into trying for this trophy so thank you for this tip! I'm going to try it out for sure!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to complete the nightmare boss rush and it took me about 2 hours.. an hour of which was retrying just the final boss.  I got a crash my first time through when I had to retry Khonsclard about 5 times.  I felt I wasn't good enough at that fight so I decided to practice that fight by itself in time attack and I probably got another 6 or more crashes in an hour of attempts on that fight.  I never got any other game crashes retrying anything else though.  It also doesn't appear to be tied to the game simply running too long, because I restarted the game and had another crash after 1 retry against Khonsclard.

That being said I never got any crashes when I was retrying any other bosses.  I practiced the final boss and Pictimos for about an hour each and never got crashes doing either of them.  It seemed like the game was being super stable so I went through boss rush again after that long practice session without restarting the game.  I had to retry Epona a couple times, Gelaldy a couple times, Khonsclard a couple times, Pictimos many times.. Zava a few times and Dalles for at least an hour.  For whatever reason the game stayed super stable and I didn't have to use rest mode on that run.  I am playing on a PS5, but I honestly couldn't really find a pattern to the crashing other than Khonsclard being the main issue for me when it was happening.  It is likely just random, but would be nice to find out exactly what causes it so other people can avoid it better.  Nightmare boss rush is insanely cheap on a few fights and really grueling due to the low damage output...  I can imagine it being very frustrating to have this crash near the end of the run.

Maybe playing it on PS5 is part of the reason it was slightly more stable for me though?  Every crash I have had was retrying Khonsclard.. but I did have one in story mode during the middle of the Gelaldy fight.  That never happened again and I suspect its likely due to having the game on most of the day.

Edited by Elegy

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2021 at 10:14 AM, mcjonathan888 said:

Did this work? 1f440.png

I tried a few times and it still crashed. I am using Nepishtim Version of Adol so I don't know if that's the problem or not. Also wasn't sure how long to leave it in rest mode. I would put it in rest mode when I had a game over screen. Let it rest for a few min then reboot and try again. It crashed almost immediately on my first retry :(

I've also heard that the physical edition of the game doesn't crash on boss rush mode like the digital download one does. I have an EU copy of the disc but saved data isn't shared. I haven't gone through each character's normal mode run yet to give it a whirl :/ 

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, LezardValeth80 said:

I tried a few times and it still crashed. I am using Nepishtim Version of Adol so I don't know if that's the problem or not. Also wasn't sure how long to leave it in rest mode. I would put it in rest mode when I had a game over screen. Let it rest for a few min then reboot and try again. It crashed almost immediately on my first retry :(

I've also heard that the physical edition of the game doesn't crash on boss rush mode like the digital download one does. I have an EU copy of the disc but saved data isn't shared. I haven't gone through each character's normal mode run yet to give it a whirl :/ 

I found 95% of my crashes have been when I hit retry the moment I'm able to. I started waiting ~10 seconds after dying and it never crashed since. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, Trigonometrize said:

I found 95% of my crashes have been when I hit retry the moment I'm able to. I started waiting ~10 seconds after dying and it never crashed since. 

Sadly that hasn't worked for me either. 1.5 years later and I'm still trying to get this darned trophy. I'm good with difficulty, but game crashing preventing me from getting it is a bummer. 

• 4 months later...

I'm playing the digital version on the PS5. I had no problems during the story mode. But the first time I tried to tackle the nightmare Time Attacks I had crashes every few minutes. Pressing restart after 1-3 deaths was almost a guaranteed crash and I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to get this trophy. I got a crash in the middle of a fight as well one time, but I guess that was an exception. I stopped playing for a bit as these errors were getting quite frustrating.
Next day I kept trying to practise the bosses, and the game had a varying stability, sometimes a few hours without a single crash. It seemed the individual boss fights were getting more stable the more often I tried them.

After getting better I started the actual Boss Rush, but the game started crashing again after a few tries. I've read about this problem on different forums and some people mentioned deleting and reinstalling the game.
I've done that and haven't got a single crash since then. The game was on for over 6 hours. Finished the Boss Rush in 2 hours, even though I died to the last 3 bosses for secret character

Spoiler

Adol (Napishtim version)

probably over a hundred times. I also waited a few seconds before hitting the retry button like a few people suggested.

With a bit of patience and luck this can definitely be done, but it's a pity that there's no definite solution, especially since the game is great otherwise! ?

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi