Why is this Platinum so common?

arcanehornet_

When I first played Crash Bandicoot a few years ago, I thought it was the most difficult platformer I’ve played. I couldn’t even finish the first game back then. So I was absolutely shocked to see it on PSNprofiles with so many achievers and a pretty high rarity. I expected the plat to be ultra rare at least, considering how hard the Relics are.

Am I just really bad at it or do people find it easy?

• Like 1

I find that games that I had a hard time with when I was younger and easier now that I'm older, so it might be that. Also, I don't think a lot of people younger than 20 know or care who Crash Bandicoot is. I barely do and I played the earlier games.

• Like 1

The games are nearly 25 years old and people have had plenty of time to practice. Of course not everyone is like that, but they aren't as hard as they're made out to be, not 2 or 3 at least. 1 takes a lot of practice but it's definitely not an above 6 or 7 in difficulty.  

So I was 10 years old when the original came out and I didn't play games anywhere near like I do now, so I didn't remember Crash being that hard because I also never used to beat games. Fast forward to today and thanks to trophy hunting and good ol' helping of OCD that comes along with it. I've come to learn games like this in particular really just take practice, patience, and sore thumbs. I'm not going to pretend it's easy by any stretch, but the general mechanics are easy, it's learning to speed them up and having trust in your skill.

• Like 1

I was surprised at first as well, but if you keep trying eventually you'll complete it; we should be thankful that the Platinum Relics are not required for the platinum, because that would've made it UR for sure. At least that's the most difficult one out of the trilogy, in my opinion.

Fun note: you're not required to get all Gold Relics, you only need to get 26 if I remember correctly (which is the number of all relics, excluding the DLC one); that means that The Highroad's (or any other main level you are having trouble with, but it's usually that) Gold Relic can be skipped by doing the Stormy Ascent's one, while getting the platinum and 100% (if you've got the Gem) with it. To this day I still don't have the relic for that level.

Well, some people say Stormy Ascent is easier, while others say The Highroad is: I'm for the former, it's just a matter of endurance since the level is very long.

Edited by KN_Kirai

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2020 at 6:28 PM, dannyswfc9 said:

I think its one of those games that you just wanna finish no matter what. There also really fair and rewarding. No luck required like alot of games these days. 

So that glad dlc level wernt required for the plat tho. Still to this day ive never done that trial

I have absolutely no idea how I did that the other week ?

I see two points that could explain this high platinum rate:
- original game was released 24 years ago and trophy hunters from today played this game in their good ol' days. You always feel the nostalgia when one of your favourite game is remastered, especially if you played this game as a child. This could explain why a lot of trophy hunters bought this game.
- It's not that difficult IMO, a lot of practice should be enough. The difficulty is not in the game mechanics, gameplay or level design (well, except for Stormy Ascent right ?). It's just keeping your mental strength, always and always. Trophy hunters are good at this ;-)

I don't know if it's just me, but for each level you perfectly know what you have to do, when you have to jump an so on. But sometimes, your brain sees an opportunity and decides to overcome your original plan. And you *always* die by improvising in such game. That's why is more mental strength than game difficulty. Stick to the plan and it should be all right.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2020 at 6:59 PM, StylerX01 said:

When I first played Crash Bandicoot a few years ago, I thought it was the most difficult platformer I’ve played. I couldn’t even finish the first game back then. So I was absolutely shocked to see it on PSNprofiles with so many achievers and a pretty high rarity. I expected the plat to be ultra rare at least, considering how hard the Relics are.

Am I just really bad at it or do people find it easy?

It's because the game is difficult but all trophies are separated by super short spikes of difficulty and I'll explain.

You can be 2 hours in the High Road trying to get the gold relic, and at the end you'll eventually get it because it might be hard as fuck but it's 1 minute long, sooner or later you'll develop the skill and have enough luck to make it.

If it was a 50 hour platinum with the same difficulty I don't think a lot of people would have it.

What impresses me is that a lot of people has the Gold relic in Stormy Ascent, the hardest level and 4 minutes long, 11.603 persons that are way better than me at gaming. I tried for 3 hours and it was impossible. I got lucky to get the trophy for destroying all the boxes without dying, but doing that while speedrunning is impossible for me.

21 minutes ago, Lezonidas said:

I tried for 3 hours and it was impossible. I got lucky to get the trophy for destroying all the boxes without dying, but doing that while speedrunning is impossible for me.

The key is to not speedrunning. Timing for gold relic (~4:30 IIRC) is very generous. I was like you, I tried to be fast, but after 3/4 hours of unsuccessful attempts, I just gave up. Then I realized thanks to a video (the one in the guide I think) that when I was at the beginning of the second climb, I had like ~1:30/45 to finish the level, which is largely enough. So, I decided to slow down and focus. I got it after 4/5 attempts.

If that could help, imagine you're doing the boxes challenge, not the relics challenge. Do not speedrun. That sounds like a paradox, but time is not your enemy in this level. You impatience is.

• 2 weeks later...

Ironically, I found this plat harder to obtain than some of my UR plats. Despite growing up with the franchise and knowing the levels quite well, doing the time trials was a completely new challenge as the original game never had them.

The Lab, Native Fortress, The High Road and Sunset Vista were the most difficult levels to gold imo. Not including Stormy Ascent of course!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Gold Relics are more doable than it seems, you have room for various mistakes; the Platinum Trophy would surely be Ultra Rare if you were required to obtain Platinum Relics, but Gold is not that hard. I mean, still hard, but a rarity of around 10% is fair enough to me.

Ignore videos of players getting WR times because they use weird and unreliable strategies to replicate; watch videos of players getting the Platinum Relic, try to replicate their strategy and their routes, and obtaining Gold Relics will be way easier.