Hunting Missions

I used stun grenades, then aimed for the head with a tranq rifle and shot as many times as possible. 

Being fast is the key. The animations when you take damage, fall, and get up are too long and waste your time. Avoiding those attacks may also help a little.

Good luck with the platinum!

• Like 3

It's been a while, but I seem to remember beating some if not all of the hunting missions using the swimwear outfit, tranquilizer pistol, infinite ammo bandanna, and rations. The swimwear outfit makes you move faster so you can more easily avoid the monsters attacks so you basically just keep moving and shoot it with a few tranquilizer darts whenever you get a chance. It sounds risky but I know I did them all solo and can't remember using any other methods.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Alpha-Strider said:

It's been a while, but I seem to remember beating some if not all of the hunting missions using the swimwear outfit, tranquilizer pistol, infinite ammo bandanna, and rations. The swimwear outfit makes you move faster so you can more easily avoid the monsters attacks so you basically just keep moving and shoot it with a few tranquilizer darts whenever you get a chance. It sounds risky but I know I did them all solo and can't remember using any other methods.

I have just earned the bandana so I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Unlock the Advanced battle suit and use tranqs. People suggest the rifle, but I prefer the handgun. You get easier headshots. Especially with the Gear Rex fights. You must be agile during those fights.

Edit: Practice is important as well. Learn their behavior patterns. 

Edited by MortalGH11
  • Like 2

I did all hunting missions today. I used:

- Mosin-Nagant

- Stun grenade

- Battle suit with helmet

- Bandana

- Supply marker just in case for ration

I used the same pattern for all monsters. When he charges, avoid him by pressing X, then throw two grenades. He should be stunned, then shoot him unless your magazine is empty. Reload while avoiding his charge, throw grenade, shoot, and so on and so on... It works for *all* monsters, I did it at my first try except for the last one. This method works for the last one, but you have to avoid his stunning/explosive peaks.

Hope it helps.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, waIafc0 said:

I did all hunting missions today. I used:

- Mosin-Nagant

- Stun grenade

- Battle suit with helmet

- Bandana

- Supply marker just in case for ration

I used the same pattern for all monsters. When he charges, avoid him by pressing X, then throw two grenades. He should be stunned, then shoot him unless your magazine is empty. Reload while avoiding his charge, throw grenade, shoot, and so on and so on... It works for *all* monsters, I did it at my first try except for the last one. This method works for the last one, but you have to avoid his stunning/explosive peaks.

Hope it helps.

Dude!! That worked like a fucking charm!! I was following the guide that said swim trunks, mk22 and I was a one hit kill doing it that way. Your way I had multiple chances to dust my self off and keep trying. Thank you so much!! After 3 days I finally nailed that sucker

• Like 2

Hey man!

-Just equip the Mosin Nagant, MK22, supply marker, rations, curry and mate (If you get hit by them your stamina will drop drastically so THIS IS A MUST!).

-The bandana is pretty useful so if you have it, hunting missions and the remaining extra ops will be a lot easier.

-Make sure you always go to the head, i'll make it faster. 

-NEVER STOP MOVING UNLESS YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR GUN OR ITEM.

Those mini monsters are pretty annoying but DON'T SHOOT THEM! They'll wake up in matter of seconds so ignore them.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:00 AM, DreddPirateRobb said:

Dude!! That worked like a fucking charm!! I was following the guide that said swim trunks, mk22 and I was a one hit kill doing it that way. Your way I had multiple chances to dust my self off and keep trying. Thank you so much!! After 3 days I finally nailed that sucker

Great ! Good luck for the platinum !

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I did them last night. To be honest, they're one of the easiest missions (minus the last one). I read somewhere that you have to complete them in 10 minutes to get the S rank, but with right strategy, time won't be a problem. The way I did them was this:

- Rathalos is easy. Use the Mk22 and you're all set. If its allies get in your way, take them out as well (non-lethally, of course).

- Tigrex is the easiest one. Dodge its attacks and just keep throwing sleep gas grenades at it. With this, it's over very quickly. In fact, it took me less than 3 minutes to defeat it.

- Gear Rex is like Tigrex. The strategy is pretty much the same, except that you also need stun grenades. When the mission starts, throw 1-2 stun grenades. By doing this, it won't be able to move. Once it's stunned, start throwing sleep gas grenades. After a while, it recovers so you need to stun it again. For the final one, use the same strategy. However, it recovers much faster from stun. Because of that, I made a rhythm. 1-2 stun grenades, 3-5 sleep gas grenades. Rinse and repeat. With that, it goes down somewhat easily. Also, keep in mind that it can still lauch spikes when it's stunned. As long as you keep moving, they won't stun you and you definitely want to avoid that, as that lasts forever. It's even worse than getting stunned by Peace Walker's roar.

It goes without saying that bandana is a must. Not only that, but battle dress with helmet is also mandatory as that gives the best defense. Especially in the final mission, as the boss drains 90% of your health if it hits you.

Edited by MrGarland
  • Like 3