Guide quality issues.

1 hour ago, Sikutai said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes, lots about quality lately. I usually use guides from playstationtrophies.org or PowerPyx.

I seen quite a lot lazy written guides from PowerPyx tbh, I don’t use them anymore. The ones on playstationtrophies have always helped me the best but I tend to find one on here first and if there is none or I see some kind of bad explanation I would go to playstationtrophies. Oh and xboxachievements is helpful too but often lazy written as well.

1 hour ago, effdeegee said:

Hey, folks. :) 

After using about 20 guides in a row that are absolutely riddled with errors, I feel I need to ask about what's going on here.

Are these guides being accepted based solely on the fact that there wasn't one on the site at the time?

Or is it more like just glossing over them for swear words because The Guide Team already have so many things on their plate and this volunteer work falls low on the priorities list?

Please pardon me if that sounds like I'm being a jerk. I'm genuinely concerned and curious.

Sometimes I don’t understand either. I feel like maybe the Guide Team might feel pressured to accept some guides so that people who look for a guide this site will pop up first so thats more visitors here? And as for the people who have a badly written guide, I feel like they just rushed it and wanted to be first and/or expect some people to know everything about the game already. Some people just suck at explaining like I found a lot of guides where it would be so much better if they added a screenshot of what you’re supposed to see but “thats too much work” I guess. Also it must be hard accepting so many guides when they haven’t possibly played the game themselves.

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1

Well from what I know and have done with guides and I have done one guide and a mini guide for some games I find that the guide team love making sure you detail everything right even things that don't really need details such as kill x amount of so on, I mean just not writing on it should be good enough to know that the trophy detail on the trophy itself is good enough. same with just talking normally such as how I am now you can't do it due to them wanting to look good.

3 hours ago, Sergen said:

It’s very rare I see a guide mention how many people you would need in order to boost the online trophies for a game, their solution regularly tends to say something like “you can boost this trophy, refer to the boosting thread” for games that require around 6 people to boost. That information is important to me so I can ask the relevant people without asking too many people. 

I agree with this. I don't boost games often but when I do its very rare to find any information out there on how to do it. How many people,  methods, a roadmap to make it efficient...

Another pet peeve of mine is a guide that is mostly videos

• Like 1

I also agree, it’s kinda difficult honestly since the mods can’t have knowledge about every single game, and there is so many guides being published at the same time.

But yes, overall, I think PST.org are the most detailed and polished, though they certainly have less guides and more specialized people. One of the weakest points about the guides around here, I reckon would be the roadmaps, which are usually not as detailed, and I think is one of the most important parts of a guide.

I also think people here try to rush so many guides, specially new releases, which ends up in a lack of quality. This is also caused because we don’t usually have press copies here like PPyx, and sometimes two guides are written at the same time for a new release, so people rush it as fast as they can, I know it wouldn’t be as “democratic” but I don’t think is good that 2 guides can be up for the same game.

Overall, I agree with OP and would be interesting to debate on how to try to improve the quality within the margins of what the Staff can do.

Edited by BlackTorito

Having trophy tips back would solve this imo. It would probably make guides completely obsolete for a lot of games. 

Another possible feature for this would be if users could make inline comments in the guide, which would highlight the text that the user commented on, and if you click on it the comment would be shown in a popup window or something. Users with the correct permissions (maybe guide writer, admins, mods and guide team) could then resolve the comment which would make it disappear, otherwise it's there with the additional info. If anyone has worked with confluence pages, they know what I mean

But let's not kid ourselves, none of this will ever happen

Edited by Theladozz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

I also agree, it’s kinda difficult honestly since the mods can’t have knowledge about every single game, and there is so many guides being published at the same time.

Especially the fact I created a guide for a game called DEADBOLT, which is a niche game (only like 0.5% know about it) that the guide team will have no idea what it is all about, except for me and the others who had prior experience to the game. I've experienced that game on PC and it was freakish.

For mainstream games, the guide team will know mostly about the contents of it. It's pretty much the niche games that will pose a challenge to the guide team when it comes to evaluating someone's trophy guide before being published. That might be the guide team's weakness, and one of the reasons these kinds of guides will take a few days to be submitted, because niche trophy guides are wholly different than mainstream trophy guides. I had to use what I've experienced from that game for the guide.

Back on topic, I've looked at the guide of Plague Inc. Evolved here on this website, and it had some errors that I can't help but to fume myself. The NAZG trophy didn't make any sense, because the only way to trigger it easily will be to start on India, but not Saudi Arabia. Then, Disease Master requires you to complete the Shadow Plague, as well, because of patch 1.02 (Shadow Plague update). And the guide said it was "small chance", but it is a mandatory requirement, as well. Then, because of Patch 1.07, you are required to complete 25 Scenarios on 3 Biohazards for the Scenario Master trophy. In the guide there's only 20, which is outdated. It's pretty much outdated and I tried to comment them within their guide, but there's no response.

Edited by BadRep24
  • Like 1

I've found many guides on this site to be extremely useful and helpful. I've also found a couple with errors or incomplete information though, so I could understand your frustration. I really enjoy the formatting of the guides on this site, so I usually prefer these guides. Plus they update with my trophy list, and reflect which trophies I already have, which is nice.

Like MMDE said, feel free to leave comments on the guides about incorrect info or whatever, I've seen lots of fixes come through as a result of just a quick comment on the guide.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, JNSpradlin said:

I really wish the site would allow commenting on trophies again. Yeah it is usually filled with nonsense, but sometimes those comments help out immensely.

You can comment on the guides! :) If there's no guide, I recommend you either make a thread about it or you can even make a small gameplay guide.

Perhaps a bit large, but here's a gameplay guide I posted that wasn't actually a normal trophy guide:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6444-unepic-essential-guide

It was posted before the Trophy Guide and Trophy Walkthrough. :P

Edited by MMDE

9 minutes ago, MMDE said:

You can comment on the guides! :) If there's no guide, I recommend you either make a thread about it or you can even make a small gameplay guide.

Perhaps a bit large, but here's a gameplay guide I posted that wasn't actually a normal trophy guide:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6444-unepic-essential-guide

It was posted before the Trophy Guide and Trophy Walkthrough. :P

I know that but I bet you 99% of people do not know you can comment there. Sometimes a comment on a single trophy is warrented

6 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

how do i help edit guides if im not on the guide team. There is a couple i do wanna fix

You don't. It doesn't work like that. Post a comment in the guide you might want to suggest a fix, if the author doesn't answer, try messaging him in the forums. If no answer at all, move on with your life.

• Like 2

I really think it is our responsibility to flag errors in trophy guides

in the other hand - if a guide writer

has been flagged more than 10 times, he should not be allowed

to post them anymore

there is a balance to have here between the 2 rationales

I think this site does as well as can be expected considering the amount of guides they put up. They have the best formatting linked to your profile. They can only work with what is submitted. No person can play every game and the people that tend to play the most are usually to busy, not interested or working on their own projects to write for the site. 

You have to remember that most of the writers on here only write a few guides, write from their own perspective without collaboration and have no contact with the developers or publishers for inside information and help. Everyone knows there is no money in it but I assume the sense of giving back and helping is more than enough. I would encourage the guide team and the writers on this site to reach out to the devs particular for indie or B grade games. They are usually quite interested and often unaware that these guides even exist. 

The best course is to follow the guide writers you have found to be best suited to your trophy hunting style. Also don't limit yourself to guides by playstation writers. There are many wonderful guides on both Xbox and Steam that have evolved as most games are on those platforms well before Playstation. Also I suspect many guides on here and other sites owe alot to them, whether they acknowledge it or not.

Goodluck & Happy Gaming

Edited by AffectatiousDonk
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Hopefully this helps :P 

Thank you for explaining. ?‍♀️

3 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

@BlindMango I think it would be a good idea to link every post with the rules and how to write guides/format them on the “create a trophy/gameplay guide” starting screen.

Great idea, I was missing this too. I think this would help people out a lot, writers and the guide team.

Edited by LoveInHell