Collectible tracking is still fairly broken

Shenka

I was really hoping collectible tracking in this game would have been improved, but it seems just as bad as the first game. I literally collect items, the counter in the menu is complete so I move on. I play another chapter or two and then return to check the menu only to find it suddenly overwrote the collectibles I had found and now I have to replay large chunks of levels in order to re-collect something I've already collected twice now. 

It's insanely frustrating and make getting the platinum that much more tedious. Thus far the only solution I can find is to have a perfect 100% play through, which means I likely have to restart my whole play through. It's just insane collectible tracking isn't that difficult to code. 

Anybody else having problems with collectibles overwriting and deleting themselves randomly?

Edit: Another fantastic bug I just realized is for some reason my completed save file got deleted both from my local system and from PS+ cloud saving. This is just super frustrating and at this point I have next to no faith in the trophies actually unlocking when I finish collecting everything.

Edited by xSHENKAx
Added another bug I encountered

while the last of us as a game is very divisive, naughty dogs understanding of the trophy (or let's say the collectible stuff which is 99% of the game sadly) system is not... it's just garbage

I had some problems with the collectibles but nothing major (one time it was me who messed up royally so yeah... my fault)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alaquia said:

while the last of us as a game is very divisive, naughty dogs understanding of the trophy (or let's say the collectible stuff which is 99% of the game sadly) system is not... it's just garbage

I had some problems with the collectibles but nothing major (one time it was me who messed up royally so yeah... my fault)

It is excusable in the Uncharted series because collecting is super bare bones (in my opinion). In the first last of us there were problems with a lot of optional dialogues simply not triggering when they’re suppose to (this one in particular i found annoying).

In LoU 2 the collecting is only based around actual items like the Uncharted series, but the second you get into multiple save files the entire game just loses its mind. It becomes super confusing to maintain and keep track of collectibles beyond a single perfect play through.

Its not like Naughty Dog did not implement an overall Profile save system. Like it’s right there, i just don’t understand why chapter completion, game statistics, and collectibles weren’t included in the overall profile.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, xSHENKAx said:

In LoU 2 the collecting is only based around actual items like the Uncharted series, but the second you get into multiple save files the entire game just loses its mind. It becomes super confusing to maintain and keep track of collectibles beyond a single perfect play through.

Its not like Naughty Dog did not implement an overall Profile save system. Like it’s right there, i just don’t understand why chapter completion, game statistics, and collectibles weren’t included in the overall profile.

yeah I'm 100% with you here, the exclusion of those parts in the overall profile save system is just mind blowing (in the worst possible way)

it is basically 1 blind playthrough (which is obviously optional) and a whole second run with the collectible guide open. to me that was ok (not good, just ok) because I really liked the game and I cared for the collectibles but I can totally see the flaws and why people didn't enjoy this part of their trophy journey

The trick to doing the collectables after completing the game, especially when you're only missing a few in each chapter is to work backwards. If you clean up the collectables in the correct chapter  order (start to finish) you'll have to keep reloading your "complete" save after finishing a chapter because it will overwrite your progress and won't let you select a chapter past the one you are already on. Working backwards helps speed up the whole process and shouldn't cause you any problems.

I had no problems, everything I didn't found myself in my first run, i did in my second run. Sure it took longer as i followed a guide and not always knew if the thing next up I already got, so i collect most twice. but I got every trophy left missing then near the end.

They are not overwriting, the number on the save means nothing. You don’t have to backtrack, you have to check the chapter select screen, there the collectibles should be completed.

The save overwrites the treasure collected number each time you select a new chapter or save, but its just a number.

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong or if you don't understand the system (or if I am misunderstanding your issue) but it's actually quite easy:

- When you finish the game, it gives you a prompt to create a "Completed" Save. Do that and never overwrite that save!

- You can then use Chapter Select to replay any chapter.

- The moment you do that, the chapter you load becomes your new auto save! In that save, only the chapters before the chapter that you loaded are available in Chapter Select, not the chapters after it!
- This does NOT mean that you need to load and complete the last chapter first etc. Simply load any chapter you want to play and when you have finished collecting what you wanted, go back to the Main Menu and load the Completed Save. All the chapters will be available again in Chapter Select AND everything you collected during your replay of a chapter will count as collected as well. (visible in the Chapter Select Screen underneath each Chapter image) As soon as you collect something, it will be auto saved in an overall profile (but this profile save is never visible in the save slots) and when you reload the completed save, your overall profile will include what you collected before the completed save and what you collected after you made the completed save.

- When you finally got all the collectibles, load the Completed Save again and then start NG+ from to make the run for the last upgrades.

Example:
- I load my complete save.

- Chapter Select Screen tells me that I'm missing one artifact in Chapter X.
- I load up Chapter X.

- This becomes my new auto save. I go on and collect the artifact. Game auto saves.

- I go back to the main menu.
- If I were to open Chapter Select now, I could only select all the Chapters before Chapter X and not those after Chapter X anymore.

- Therefore, I load the Completed Save again.

- Chapter Select is now again populated with all the Chapters AND it shows Chapter X as no collectibles missing since the game saves every collectible I collect in an overall profile save.
- Rinse and repeat until done.

- Load Completed Save again and start NG+.

EDIT:

However, if you overwrite/delete your "Completed" Save and therefore you are unable to go back to the Completed State of the game (with the alternative menu screen), then you are screwed and have to play on from the Chapter you loaded until the end of the game again. Otherwise, you won't get a "full" chapter select again and also no way to start a NG+ run.

So never delete that completed save!

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sicho said:

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong or if you don't understand the system (or if I am misunderstanding your issue) but it's actually quite easy:

- When you finish the game, it gives you a prompt to create a "Completed" Save. Do that and never overwrite that save!

- You can then use Chapter Select to replay any chapter.

- The moment you do that, the chapter you load becomes your new auto save! In that save, only the chapters before the chapter that you loaded are available in Chapter Select, not the chapters after it!
- This does NOT mean that you need to load and complete the last chapter first etc. Simply load any chapter you want to play and when you have finished collecting what you wanted, go back to the Main Menu and load the Completed Save. All the chapters will be available again in Chapter Select AND everything you collected during your replay of a chapter will count as collected as well. (visible in the Chapter Select Screen underneath each Chapter image) As soon as you collect something, it will be auto saved in an overall profile (but this profile save is never visible in the save slots) and when you reload the completed save, your overall profile will include what you collected before the completed save and what you collected after you made the completed save.

- When you finally got all the collectibles, load the Completed Save again and then start NG+ from to make the run for the last upgrades.

Example:
- I load my complete save.

- Chapter Select Screen tells me that I'm missing one artifact in Chapter X.
- I load up Chapter X.

- This becomes my new auto save. I go on and collect the artifact. Game auto saves.

- I go back to the main menu.
- If I were to open Chapter Select now, I could only select all the Chapters before Chapter X and not those after Chapter X anymore.

- Therefore, I load the Completed Save again.

- Chapter Select is now again populated with all the Chapters AND it shows Chapter X as no collectibles missing since the game saves every collectible I collect in an overall profile save.
- Rinse and repeat until done.

- Load Completed Save again and start NG+.

EDIT:

However, if you overwrite/delete your "Completed" Save and therefore you are unable to go back to the Completed State of the game (with the alternative menu screen), then you are screwed and have to play on from the Chapter you loaded until the end of the game again. Otherwise, you won't get a "full" chapter select again and also no way to start a NG+ run.

So never delete that completed save!

This is how the system works currently - but my problems were surrounding this. Every Naughty Dog game collectible wise has always behaved this way for some reason, but this time around i experienced a lot more bugs. First my completed save simply vanished. I know for a fact I did not delete it because I'm fully aware how needed it is. Then my NG+ save that I was collecting everything through (wasn't even doing it via chapter select, just a second straight through play of the game) lost track of my items. Some of my save files would say I had an item, others wouldn't. It was completely random.

I completed all the collectibles, still missing my completed save though. In the end it required nearly a dozen different save files to appease the collecting gods.

1. Complete the game

an autosave will be created, marked as ‘complete’

2. look in the chapter list to see where you missed something

3. load that chapter

4. find the collectible(s) you missed.

5. quit to menu

6. Load the ‘complete’ autosave from when you finished the game. (The title of the save will still say the original number of collectibles in it, because that is how many you picked up in that playthrough but don’t worry about that)

7. look in the chapter list. You will now see the collectible you just picked up in the replayed chapter has been added to the list.

8. Select the next chapter you missed something on

rinse and repeat until you have everything.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

On 13/07/2020 at 4:51 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

1. Complete the game

an autosave will be created, marked as ‘complete’

2. look in the chapter list to see where you missed something

3. load that chapter

4. find the collectible(s) you missed.

5. quit to menu

6. Load the ‘complete’ autosave from when you finished the game. (The title of the save will still say the original number of collectibles in it, because that is how many you picked up in that playthrough but don’t worry about that)

7. look in the chapter list. You will now see the collectible you just picked up in the replayed chapter has been added to the list.

8. Select the next chapter you missed something on

rinse and repeat until you have everything.

As the upgrades trophies require 3/4 of a NG+ run, is it safe to say that I can do a chapter select mop up of collectables from chapter 30(ish) on, and get all the previous chapters during the NG+? would this save time?

5 minutes ago, nrgjak said:

As the upgrades trophies require 3/4 of a NG+ run, is it safe to say that I can do a chapter select mop up of collectables from chapter 30(ish) on, and get all the previous chapters during the NG+? would this save time?

Yes, definitely.  Chapter select before then is a waste of time 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nrgjak said:

i think so, yes - personally I did 2 full playthroughs before doing any mop up, so I only had 10 or so things to get, but that sounds right to me

• Like 1

I just did a speedrun with a collectible guide for my 2nd NG run. (had about 60% collected from my first run)

On very easy and skipping cutscenes/optional dialogue I got the last missed collectibles with Ellie in SB after maybe 5 or 6 hours.

That is having missed a few in just about every chapter (aside safes and one workbench in Abby Seattle D3).

Much smoother than doing chapter select imho ,unless you are missing a particular few in one or two chapters

I was house sitting for couple of days and before i left i uploaded all my save data to cloud and downloaded it and played on another PS4. Before i left i uploaded all the data again and updated my original data when i got back. What i noticed though later after i have continued that all the chapters that i played on the other PS4 had zeroes when it came to every type of collectible there was (benches and all) so seems like playing on another system is good way to mess up data.

Just one question! I finished the first playthrough, i started my new game+ as i wanted to replay the game and collect the missed collectibles. I missed again some collectibles as i don't follow a guide. After i finish new game+ can i still reload the chapters i miss collectibles? Or do i have to make a third playthrough?

19 hours ago, gipoli said:

Just one question! I finished the first playthrough, i started my new game+ as i wanted to replay the game and collect the missed collectibles. I missed again some collectibles as i don't follow a guide. After i finish new game+ can i still reload the chapters i miss collectibles? Or do i have to make a third playthrough?

Dr.Bloodmoney posted the method for saving when collecting via chapter-select above.

I recommend a guide this time around - a few are easily missed if you don't know where to look.

On 7/11/2020 at 0:16 AM, Shenka said:

I was really hoping collectible tracking in this game would have been improved, but it seems just as bad as the first game. I literally collect items, the counter in the menu is complete so I move on. I play another chapter or two and then return to check the menu only to find it suddenly overwrote the collectibles I had found and now I have to replay large chunks of levels in order to re-collect something I've already collected twice now. 

It's insanely frustrating and make getting the platinum that much more tedious. Thus far the only solution I can find is to have a perfect 100% play through, which means I likely have to restart my whole play through. It's just insane collectible tracking isn't that difficult to code. 

Anybody else having problems with collectibles overwriting and deleting themselves randomly?

Edit: Another fantastic bug I just realized is for some reason my completed save file got deleted both from my local system and from PS+ cloud saving. This is just super frustrating and at this point I have next to no faith in the trophies actually unlocking when I finish collecting everything.

Ok bro. I have to disagree.

Collectible Tracking in TLOU2 vs TLOU1 is amazeballs turn on your HUD to Setting 1 & then slide your touchpad. Enemies will be red, collectibles will be gold.

If you go into the traversal settings You can setup collectible tracking & u can even make it so u send out a "ping" like echo location.. Like a scanner. (Set it to 30m every 1s).

As you can see below, two of my ? popped while I was using the HUD change.

I made sure to swipe it off when I found the last trading cars & coin... But the two trophies below show that I did use it. And it is very very helpful.

I'm now on Survivor+ for supplements & scrap.

20200717-103047.jpg

Edited by dokkanexpert
U cannot have a reason. Sorry.

1 hour ago, dokkanexpert said:

Ok bro. I have to disagree.

Collectible Tracking in TLOU2 vs TLOU1 is amazeballs turn on your HUD to Setting 1 & then slide your touchpad. Enemies will be red, collectibles will be gold.

If you go into the traversal settings You can setup collectible tracking & u can even make it so u send out a "ping" like echo location.. Like a scanner. (Set it to 30m every 1s).

As you can see below, two of my 1f3c6.png popped while I was using the HUD change.

I made sure to swipe it off when I found the last trading cars & coin... But the two trophies below show that I did use it. And it is very very helpful.

I'm now on Survivor+ for supplements & scrap.

20200717-103047.jpg

The in game experience of finding collectibles is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. The issue isn't whether its fun to explore the world, or if its too difficult to find somethings. Its the fact that Naughty Dog's systems for keeping track of collectibles across multiple save files has always been awful, but is particularly bad in the Last of Us series because of how dynamic and diverse the collectibles are. 

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone please tell me the quickest way of finding out WHICH collectibles EXACTLY I have missed?

For example Seattle Day 2 > The Descent shows Coins 4 of 5 but doesn’t tell me which coin is the one I am missing? Do you have to just recollect them all? If so, how annoying.

4 hours ago, Jimmy947 said:

Could someone please tell me the quickest way of finding out WHICH collectibles EXACTLY I have missed?

For example Seattle Day 2 > The Descent shows Coins 4 of 5 but doesn’t tell me which coin is the one I am missing? Do you have to just recollect them all? If so, how annoying.

There is a feature in the settings that shows a collectible indicator for things youve already picked up.

I got my platinum today and I can confirm that there was at least one collectible I'm 100% sure I picked up but the game didn't track correctly (I suspect there were others but I'm not 100% sure about them).

The last journal entry of the game, in Santa Barbara, in the green van after dealing with the first big group of rattlers in the resort. I remember getting it in my first play through, it's very hard to miss, but when I started picking up the remaining collectibles after finishing the game I noticed the game didn't register it.