Any tips for superluminal speed run?

wuwiwa

Given that the current world record for a glitchless run on PC is around 24:48 (including loading times which also seem to be longer on PS4) the timing constraints for the superluminal trophy seem very harsh to me. If I add up all my best level runs so far I come to 36:40 without loading times. Way to go obviously. I know that there is a glitch to jump out of bounds and cut off part of the way. But the description I found for PC doesn't work on PS4 for me. It should be possible though because I was ejected like 3 or 4 times during game play but did not find out how to reliably reproduce this. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

@TheJoschka: Thanks a lot. Unfortunately no real news in that video. My times are already quite close to the ones shown there. Gotta keep on practicing obviously.

In case anyone is interested: I found out how to pull the out of bounds trick on PS4. It's almost the same as on PC. But it seems not to work on all the positions that are used in the PC speedruns. I also only have been successful using cubes and cheese and not other stuff (like exit signs, doors etc.). Unfortunately there seems to be no way back into the level on PS4 though. You just can walk on the ceiling but not fall back or interact with anything in the level. One can fall endlessly on the side of the map, that's all. 

@FuriousDolphin: You should definitely try it. It is a really nice game. The collectibles are not that hard. There are only a few hidden ones which will also be spotted when carefully searching (Just look back often after entering a room or passing some big objects. The entries to the star rooms (which also have to be found for the Stars Align trophy) are far better hidden. There are some guides though for that (and also for fire alarms and extinguishers). Speed run seems to be the only really hard trophy but I hope it should be doable too.  

• Like 2

Thanks @wuwiwa I will give it a shot for sure. What I do think is strange is that the timer in the vid says 33 minutes and the trophy still unlocks. Does this mean that there is a margin which is still acceptable over the 30 minutes trophy requirement. Also the loading times seem to be excluded. So that is good. 

I also don't think there is a way to see which time you got in the game other then to time it yourself and pausing during the loading screens. 

What have been your closest time spend?

I think that the video does include loading times which are not counted by the game. Except for the first complete run where time was of no importance I only did try single levels so far not the complete game and the total of my best runs so far is 34:14 excluding loading times but surely containing some small errors because of taking times by hand.

• 3 months later...

In case you're not aware, the developers have patched the game. The speed-run trophy has been increased to 35 minutes (it was 30), so it's easier to do. I also noticed a few changes to the pacing and puzzles as the game felt much faster and efficient for the speed-run.

With the increase in time, I got the platinum on my first try after not playing the game for around 3 months.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 11:31 AM, turniplord said:

Don't know - you probably can but you shouldn't have to. Once you've played through the game at least once, you'll know the solutions to all the puzzles so you should be able to get through it fairly quickly.

Ok cool,

it's been a while, checking whether having a guide open was viable.  A couple of the puzzles I remember being a pain getting the angle just so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, turniplord said:

In case you're not aware, the developers have patched the game. The speed-run trophy has been increased to 35 minutes (it was 30), so it's easier to do. I also noticed a few changes to the pacing and puzzles as the game felt much faster and efficient for the speed-run.

With the increase in time, I got the platinum on my first try after not playing the game for around 3 months.

Well jeez I about tore my hair out getting it under 30 mins when it first came out ? but hey I got it

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

i did the speed run a few days ago and it was a pain (but not as much pain as the level speedruns for sonic forces i did after)

The only tip i can give is to have a pc or laptop nearby and download Livesplit its the stop watch speedruners use on streams.

Start the time after the first cutscene and you can have a live feedback on how much time you have left and decide if you want to restart.

This will save you time on completing runs that are already lost and keep in mind that loading screens dont count so if you are near the end and you already hit 35 mins on Livesplit you should have  around 3 more minutes.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The clock starts when you leave the first room; you can see it when turning the speedrun clock in-game settings. Sadly the clock doesn't show on chapter select.

Here are my times for references and below are some tips, including some I got from the challenge mode, which I did after the speedrun. I think I could do around 32 minutes now.

| Attempt #1 | Attempt #2 | Attemp #3 | Attempt #4 | Attempt #5 | Attempt #6 |

Induction      |            |            | 4:14.2    | 3:43.2     | 4:01.2     | 3:53.7     |

Optical        |            |            | 8:43.9    | 8:06.1     | 7:57.9     | 7:36.2     |

Cubism         |            |            | 11:37.0   | 10:37.5    | 10:35.1    | 10:10.2    |

Blackout       |            |            | 15:47.2   | 14:32.0    | 13:59.4    | 13:35.1    |

Clone          |            |            | 18:50.2   | 17:25.4    | 16:58.1    | 16:12.7    |

Dollhouse      |            |            | 23:16.4   | 22.34.1    | 22:49.4    | 21:12.0    |

Labyrinth      |            |            | 31:06.8   | 29:38.6    | 29:41.0    | 27:31.3    |

Whitespace     |            |            | 38:15.1   | 36:14.8    | 36:48.5    | 34:24.8    |

Retrospect     | 58:20.6    | 47:05.1    | 38:18.1   | 36:17.8    | 36:52.2    | 34:27.6    |

While looking for a video to jog my memory, I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOQiN6TaCPQ. He's doing most of the puzzles the right way. I'll use the time codes of this video to provide additional comments.

* Induction

** If you don't finish this chapter in under 4 minutes, don't continue, you'll lose too many precious seconds
** 2:57 common mistake, you don't need to make the cube that big, just place it under the opening, it's enough to jump
** 3:39 you don't need to move the cube, grab the plank from the bit you can see on the left of the cube
** 3:48 to grab the cube already small enough, touch the glass with your back and grab it from afar
** 4:47 there is no need to make the cheese bigger, just turn it so that it can "roll" towards the fence

* Optical

** 6:06 it is personal here, I prefer to go to the left then right and take the exit sign on the end so it's better oriented to walk on

* Blackout

** 12:51 the 26 minutes speedrunner jumps onto the void but it's more secure to follow the intended path as he does
** 13:46 it's important to take that light to avoid walking blind, dropping it to have it closer to you is not mandatory

* Clone

** 16:17 interesting way of doing it, I personally make stairs with 3 clocks
** 16:50 it's an old version of the game, it has now stairs on both sides, not a full slope

* Dollhouse

** 19:10 as shown, you can lose seconds on this one, you need to train to have the house the right size for the two steps
** 21:43 I don't know if it's the version he's playing, I usually grab the other door so I don't have to resize two objects, and the house to grab at the exit is on the left...

* Labyrinth

** 23:06 you need to go all the way down so you can trigger the last message and tell the game to process to the next part
** 27:45 I never found the way to pass the elevator maze, if this still works it's great
** 28:00 the aim of that room is to touch all 4 walls so go for the top left corner (so you can touch 2 walls), then walk backward diagonally

* Whitespace

** 32:52 big time saving: you can place the chess pieces on the edge of the tiles, so you can secure 2 tiles with one chess piece
** 33:49 he goes on the left to be near the exit door at the bottom

* Retrospect

** 35:18 clock stops (and trophy may pop) when you turn off the alarm clock, so be fast!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if these speedrun trophies are bugged? 

I just finished the game with 33 min and no trophy popped . I started a new game, enabled in-game timer and at the end skipped the credits with circle

Edit: I did another run, 30min 54 sec and no trophy. Now I'm gonna downgrade to 1.00 version and hope for the best . I hated this game and because of that I need to play again :S

Edit2: I just got 33 min on 1.00 version and no speedrun trophy popped :/

I tried to play offline and deleted my save game to start fresh but still no trophy related to speedrun (35 min and 60 min).

Am I doing something wrong? Is it not just to click on new game and do non-stop in less than 35 min?!

Edit3: I installed the last update again and deleted my save data again. I got 34 min this time and both trophies popped. I don't know why, I don't care. I'm just glad that I can delete this terrible game and sleep for 4 hrs :S

Edited by tranquilu

• 10 months later...
18 minutes ago, Shaakaa82 said:

Does anyone know if you have to do this run from the start to the end without exiting or reloading a checkpoint?

I think it would be easier if I can upload my save to the cloud so I can reaload when I make a mistake in any chapter.

Do the "Mindful" trophy for the challenges first - once you've worked out the solutions for those challenges, the speed run will be very easy.

Once you have worked out how to do the solutions in the minimum number of moves, (as you have to for the "Mindful" trophy) you'd probably have a difficult time not completing the game in under 35 minutes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheDarkKratos said:

Was going to play this game, but after seeing this topic.

I really hate speed runs. To me they're pointless. Hard pass.

Don't be put off. They adjusted the timer to make it more relaxed. It's very easy to achieve now.

Took a few attempts on PS4 prior to the adjustment but I got it first try on PS5

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 11:33 PM, turniplord said:

Don't be put off. They adjusted the timer to make it more relaxed. It's very easy to achieve now.

Took a few attempts on PS4 prior to the adjustment but I got it first try on PS5

What are the requirements for the timed trophy now?