Roguelike or not?

TurtlePM

Hey guys. 

Chasm is currently on sale and it has never been so low price. I always wanted this game, but the random environments was a turn off for me.

Recently, I read in a trophy guide that it wasn't really "procedurally generated". The segments of each part of the map are the same, but the order these rooms appear are always random. Unless you use a "Seed".

Now, before I buy this game, I would like to know how this "Seed" works and how it works - is this some kind of password, is this a collectible?

And my last question is: what happens if you die? The game has a save system in certain points. Other Roguelike games don't: you die, you start all over again with some Relics or money collected from the previous runs.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by TurtlePM

There is a trophy for completing the game without dying, but that can be cheesed with usb saves. If you die you restart from a checkpoint like in any metroidvania. I would'nt worry too much about the seeds, theres barely any difference in the maps, only some of the room locations change.

• Like 1

this game is great, dont pass it up because its slightly randomized (wont affect you much); the seeds are in an a sense "worlds" where in one the boss room might be in upper right side of map, and another the lower left. the overall design of key rooms remain the same, just their locations differ. when you start a new game, your world is generated a seed number that can be used to replay the same world in different playthroughs if  you dont want to play a different world and play something you're familiar with. as far as death is concerned i believe you revert back to your last save point so any items/exp/exploration is lost between your last save and your death

• Like 1