Do you not play a game if you can’t platinum it?

Blayer8899

Hi there,

I’ve recently wanted Disney Infinity 2.0 for Vita as it’s the only toys to life game on that system, but the platinum has been unobtainable for a couple years now, and it’s a shame the platinum is unobtainable... I still would love to play it though, should I just not worry about the platinum and just buy the game anyway? Maybe I should just stop worrying about platinums so much and just play the game lol...

Hmm...usually I still play regardless if I can or not, but a lot of times I don't have the mood to play at all because of the online features and such. In your case is an online-centric game, so if I can't play online that's already half content lost in my opinion, since it was meant to be online.

But it doesn't mean I will never play it, but that my interest could be lower, which is why I usually focus on playing single-player games with no multiplayer options, as it's much easier to avoid "being unable to platinum". And it's fun even without online!

If anything there is ONE game I regret not finishing, which is Plastaytion All Stars Battle Royale, because I really had fun playing that game, even played some online, but I quit and never came back only to see the servers shut. I could play it again but it's been too long, there are better games now, and without the online it loses its charm.

"Sigh" if only online trophies could be removed or obtained other ways, I wouldn't complain honestly...

Edited by Darghel
  • Like 1

I have Disney Infinity (all 3) on my Wii U, and they are really fun. Definitely recommend playing them. If you can get it on a different platform, it won’t affect your PS profile.

Not being able to get a plat probably wouldn’t stop me, especially if I couldn’t play the game on any other system. Rather than being unobtainable, it’s usually my skill level/motivation that prevents me from getting a plat, but that doesn’t stop me from playing games I like. 

Edited by oxford_wolf007
  • Like 1

If I was maintaining a 100 percent profile I would of said no I wouldn't play a game if I can't platinum it.

I find there is too much stress and frustration with a 100 percent profile. Eventually there will come a point where a game may be out of your skill range or you have unobtainables because the online shut down.

As long as I maintain a high completion rate (90 - 95+ percent) and am satisfied with my progress and enjoy the games I play, that is all that matters to me. I am thinking of going back to some of the older games on my profile to get some trophies, but I strongly doubt I have the will to 100 percent all of those.

Plus it's impossible for me to get 100 percent, because Uncharted 2 & 3 on the PS3 had their online shut last September, as well as Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) having a trophy that is not obtainable legit. I just do with what I can and move on.

• Like 2

If I can't plat it then most likely I'll skip it, unless it's one of the old games in a franchise I already own. For instance Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Resistance 2. I missed out on the online trophies but I can still plat Apocalypse, RC and Resistance 3 so I wouldn't mind playing those older games on a dummy account just for their gameplay. Even some games with no trophy support I would love to play, like Heavenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden Sigma. 

But to your point, it's true, if I can't Plat it then I won't really touch it..... I'm looking at you NFS The Run.....frickin ruining my NFS collection :shakefist:

Never, i play games for fun ,not just for trophies ? ill never start a game if serverz are shut tho. As far as it goes for diffculty ill start it, i could careless how hard the game is or have grindy, if i like the franchise or the game or the genre, im playing it, aswell as i keep high completion percentage, goal this year is to reach atleast 98% ?

• Like 2

I wouldn't start on a game if its trophies are unobtainable or look like they're beyond my skill level, but most of the games I'm interested in in the first place don't fit that description. Most games I can recall that I've held off on because of trophies, like Stardew Valley or Tomb Raider 2013, I've played instead on PC or Switch. If I didn't have those as options I'd probably be more willing to start games I'm unlikely to be able to finish.

If I can avoid games that already have shut down servers then I will, but otherwise I’ll always add a game to my list if it’s worth it (the challenge, gameplay, etc.). I feel I’ll eventually break the “100% profile” mindset and play whatever I see fit but for now I stick with games I have the potential to 100% or at least platinum.

Honestly, I didn't enjoy Disney Infinity 3. Loved the figures, but I think Skylanders is WAY Better - except its figures, those creatures are hideous.

What's the difference between starting a game with an unobtainable trophy and a game that you don't have the skill or patience to platinum? I've accidentally started Injustice on PS4. It doesn't matter if the servers go down, I not patient to the point I have to memorize and spam a character combo to unlock a single trophy. But even though, I managed to get most trophies from that game, some of them yet to be done. I bought a 10 euros DLC for Modnation racers after the servers went down, knowing I couldn't get them all.

You can buy the game on PS3 or PS4 and play on an alternative account Or you can play on your main account and hide the game from your trophy list, if that bothers you. But if you don't need an 100% profile, why bother? Buy the game, enjoy and get some extra trophies :)

• Like 2

if its that scary use a blank account and if u cant get that 100% then dont log in and sync - or if u this crazy pay someone to pass it for you HAHAHA i heard some do that too.

idk whats the issue with the EGO TRIP but some have it bad LOL 

anyhow peace out .. good luck and go frog stars 101 - i just play ratas and eat my coffee lick my stake board

I had a PS3 when I didn't care about trophies. I bought another to play for trophies, but I want to play the games I like, platinum obtainable or not. I played WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011, I will play WWE 2k14, MK vs DC and will try to get all trophies possible. 

To me is enough.

I personally play everything I want. The trophy list might make me think twice, but I end up playing them anyways. The trophies that I usually despise are difficulty or online wins in some specific games, they are rather annoying and I prefer 100 times grindy trophies. I consider those a pain in the ass.

I wanna say I don’t care since I cannot attain 100% completion rate on my profile no more, but eh, there’s just some games I need to play, regardless of whether getting all of its trophies is possible or not. I couldn’t bother with having to play a game in an alt account, so I just play everything on my main, it just feels *right* that way. I like to showcase on my profile what kinda games I like, what games I worked through all the way through, or what games managed to break me and have me admit defeat? I was pondering this question my very self, as every once in awhile I think about how I wanna try out the DJ Hero games, but the plat trophies for both games are unobtainable due to closed-down servers. But I think imma finally go and get into the games. Still going out of your way to get every trophy that you can get is pretty commendable, be it they’re easy or hard, at least you still tried. I’d respect someone’s profile preface if they managed to get every trophy they can possibly obtain legit, even if there’s trophies that they haven’t gotten, not their fault some trophies are online only.
A game I currently play almost daily, been playing religiously for a year, is Apex Legends. I still have not yet managed to get 20 kills in one match with ANY of the characters, and there’s an in-game badge to showcase on your player profile/banner that says you resulted a 20 bomb (20 kills) If that was a trophy for the game in itself, I don’t think I’d be able to get that trophy... but even then, I’d still play the game. Won’t let a trophy void stop me from playing a game I greatly enjoy. Apex Legends I already 100% completed over a year ago, and game has no plat. If anything, Apex is kinda of the reason why I stopped letting trophies tell me how to debate my playstyle on video-games regarding the trophy system. Before Apex, instant I 100%/plat a game, I would delete said game and never play it again unless it added DLC trophies. 

Edited by Ruhkillmeez