Do you not play a game if you can’t platinum it?

Blayer8899

If I can't get a plat for a game, it won't come anywhere near my main account. ? If something looks good enough though, I'll play it on my old account... although I rarely do that because I feel my time is better spent on earning another plat on my main one. :P

Edited by Masamune

Well for me the issue isn't about platting it, the issue is about not getting the full experience. I don't really care if the game is unobtainable due to a trophy glitch (rather than a shutdown), because I'm still given the full experience of the game which is what truly matters more to me.

In this case, I wouldn't play the game because the full experience is no longer offered.

• Like 2

I am a 100% nerd, so I absolutely hate having Dante's Inferno on my profile with the servers down or iffy at best and EA completely ignoring our requests. It was suggested that because I only have 17 games on my account (I'm new to trophy hunting), I should make a new account and just re-earn the trophies I have already obtained. I seriously considered it, but I don't want to lose my PSN name that I have now because it's my username on all of my socials and because there were a few trophies that were almost impossibly hard to obtain like the flying levels in the Spyro games or swimming through the electrified tunnel without taking a single hit in Ratchet & Clank. That's not to mention collecting a million bolts in the latter as well. Still, if I could manage to create a new account with my same PSN name, I might give it a go.

Knowing I won't get the platinum (whether from a shutdown, a glitch, or lack of skill) never prevents me from playing a game I want to play. I like getting trophies and I try to get the platinums in most of the games I play, but sometimes I won't try for it if I'm not loving the game or if I'm not good enough.

I'm more interested in the number of trophies earned than my completion percentage so I typically will play any game I want to.

• Like 1

I won't play a game if I see the challenge is tough and that I don't have the confidence to complete said challenge. I will avoid unattainable trophies as wel because Non-100% games sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm aiming for that 100% completion rate and the lowest I'd go is 90%+ completion rate.

It's sad but, considering that this is my alt account it's fine since I can play any game I want to on my main account!

Nah I love games and love to play them all (if I like them or call my curiosity) so the trophies are not a factor also I started playing games on a time when there were not such things like trophies or showing to the people your unlocks in the games so I don't care if people see or not see what I got, right now with this site well yes I like to share some things but its not my main focus in gaming my main focus still is playing, enjoying and loving games.

I play to play, I have a folder for games I want to plat and a folder for games I just want to experience

But...... Sometimes my OCD gets a little out of control and I end up platting games I never intended to. 

Sometimes it's because the game has such a great story, other times because I get sucked into the side quests, sometimes because it can be so addicting to play.

For instance I never had any intention of platting Humankind Odyssey but im slowly working my way to it because it's addictive.

My account is to show what games I've played (so far, damn backlog), and how it's an extension of me really

But my OCD can go even farther, I even hid a game just so the milestones would be for games I wanted to show in the milestones

So no I play whatever I want, but my OCD dictates in the end what gets platinumed

I play because of games, not because of trophies. Trophies are just added bonus. Of course there are some exceptions when I've played some games just for trophy whoring purposes, but I've never skipped a interesting game because of hard or unobtainable trophies.

• Like 3

If I didn't play games that I wouldn't be able to platinum then I wouldn't be able to play many games at all :giggle: 

So no, I'll play anything that I want to play (although if I'm on the fence about a game or I'm not overly fussed either way then I might let the trophy list dictate whether or not I end up playing it or not). 

Yes it influences my decision a lot. I didn't start Quantum of Solace after online broke down and i couldn't get the online trophies anymore. I played Black Ops 3 PS4 and Rainbow Six Siege on alt accounts to let them not appear onmy main. But then i played Dirt Rally and Monster Hunter World on my main although i was certain i can't get the :platinum: due to skill (Rally) and boring random grind (MHW).

One game i'm scared to start is Wolfenstein II. It looks cool but i doubt i even try Mein Leben ever. Then again i thought i couldn't finish Outlast too and here i am with 100% trophies that includes no death no save also :)

Tbh, the majority of the time, any game I can’t platinum I don’t really want to play anyways but if i do want to play a certain game where the platinum is really difficult, i would still go for it regardless of how long it’ll take to obtain. I’m just very determined like that and as of now, no plat has been unobtainable aside from one or two games on my list which I first played on PS3 for example Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. I’d love to go back and complete it but online servers have shut down sadly 

I buy them anyway. I already got WWE'12 and 2K15 despite having unobtainable Platinums, and I plan on getting all others old WWE games. Despite loving it, I don't want trophy hunting to ruin my gaming experience by not playing certain games. For example I loved WWE 2K15, a great game despite having a shitty Career Mode :P

Edited by KenjiCBZ

I do play games on my dummy account just to try them out but I don't play them my primary account. I only do it on playstation but on other platforms, I play them normally with no problem. Multiplayer games are the ones that I avoid since most multiplayer trophies need boosting or grind.

Going for the platinum does add a good amount of enjoyment to a game for me, so if a game doesn’t have one or its unobtainable it will somewhat influence my likelihood to start a game. 

[it’s not like I’m a completionist though (I’m only at about 40%), because if a game is no good I have no compulsion to play just for trophies. Too many great games I have no time to play to waste time on bad games just for plats.]

There are many games that I start without knowing if I will get the platinum. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t.

I try my best, but it’s not always possible, for whatever reason. If I like the game enough, at least I try to get as many trophies as possible from that trophy list, so that my completion percentage doesn’t get hurt that bad.

Edited by Carol

Definitely not, there are so man great games that I'd miss out on if I chose based on platinums. Like I love the Kingdom Hearts games and played all the original releases way back, then KH3 and the remasters came out. Looking at the trophy list, only KH3 was realistically achievable for me which I succeeded in platting, but the other games would take hundereds of hours and completing the stories on proud and critical modes, when I just about manage standard more, forget critical. Also, endless difficult annoying mini games. I still choose to play the remasters as they are fun and I love the story. The same goes for games like FFX, I can't skip that just because of the chocobo game trophies, so I just enjoyed the story and left it at that. I play whatever games I want and platinum the ones that I realistically think I can do and have time for. I also never intend on platinuming Tales of Symphonia or Disgaea 4, they take 150+ hours, disgaea probably being the 300 hr mark

• Like 1

When I first got the trophy bug I would check the trophies to see if there was anything that would hamper getting the platinum, this would have a knock on effect me purchasing games as I would hesitate buying because of it. 

I changed my mind set and stopped looking at the trophies and concentrated more on the game itself, this put me in line with my new problem.. A large back catalogue ??