Do you not play a game if you can’t platinum it?

Blayer8899

I'm always aiming for the 100%, not just the platinum, so I won't play a game in which I don't have the DLCs nor if the 100% is unobtainable due to servers closure or annoying multiplayer trophies. Sometimes I also avoid games I'm not sure I would be able to finish.

To be honest I feel like my gaming experience is affected by my completion quest. I know I can't get a perfect completion rate cause I have some unobtainable remaining trophies on some games (Uncharted 2 and 3, Burnout Paradise, Dante's Inferno) but I'm trying to maintain it as high as possible. 

Also, I can't try the multiplayer mode on a burner account to see if I'm willing to go through it for the 100% because it would require a second PS+ subscription, so some games are still sleeping in my backlog because of that. 

On the other hand, sometimes I'm willing to challenge myself on some games I'm not sure I will be able to finish, I did it in the past with GTA IV, GTA V, Red Dead Redemption, Batman games, Fifa 15, I did it a couple days ago with NBA 2K20, and I'm planning on trying the quest for Max Payne 3 and The Last of US. 

Life would just become so much easier if we were able to delete trophies. Like why is Sony so unwilling to give us that ?

• Like 1

I'm a huge % completion nerd, so I really won't start many games at all that I know I can't platinum. Big reason why I avoid multiplayer games and harder games in general. People would like to claim that I'm "missing out" on opportunities. And you'd be right, I suppose, if there were like 100 games on the market. The truth is we live in an age where there's almost an over-saturation of experiences, that missing one game isn't the end of the world when you have many more down the pipeline to come. 

But I'm no longer a purist 100% completion person either. I'm a 99%er now (as my lifetime gaming goal). I realize 99% of the time I'll be playing a new game so my profile will really never show 100% too often even if I completed all my games. I'd have to physically stop playing games to actually have a 100% profile, which just won't happen for a few more decades probably.

This verrrrry short leniency allowed me to slip Super Meat Boy into my roster. Technically not impossible to platinum, but sure is the hardest game I ever played. I'm not worried because I know I can have 99% without it, but hey, if I ever do get it, it'd make for an awesome 100%. 

All these other MP games, unobtainable, whatever games can go right out the door though. :P

• Like 1

It depends on the game.

I stopped shifting from new game to new game, this is the year where I finally put myself at 75%+ completion rate, I told myself, but since I'm also  pointing at a <40% average rarity I immediately picked up the free Injustice 1 version that we got a month ago, even though I knew I wouldn't plat it, several ultra rares would be useful,  and Final Fantasy 8, who, while having a laughable platinum rate is a timeless classic for me.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

Honestly, if a game I want to play has online trophies, it doesn’t matter if I can’t platinum the game, I will still play the game. I hardly ever play any games online. Now if it is something I can do quick then I might be online to do it but it doesn’t bother me. The most time I spent online in a game is grand theft auto online and that was just a few days at the most.

15 hours ago, Darghel said:

Hmm...usually I still play regardless if I can or not, but a lot of times I don't have the mood to play at all because of the online features and such. In your case is an online-centric game, so if I can't play online that's already half content lost in my opinion, since it was meant to be online.

But it doesn't mean I will never play it, but that my interest could be lower, which is why I usually focus on playing single-player games with no multiplayer options, as it's much easier to avoid "being unable to platinum". And it's fun even without online!

If anything there is ONE game I regret not finishing, which is Plastaytion All Stars Battle Royale, because I really had fun playing that game, even played some online, but I quit and never came back only to see the servers shut. I could play it again but it's been too long, there are better games now, and without the online it loses its charm.

"Sigh" if only online trophies could be removed or obtained other ways, I wouldn't complain honestly...

That's my words too. I don't like online. I'm playing games since atari and prefer single play.

Today there's so much games that I'm skiping games that I can't get platinum.

15 hours ago, Blayer8899 said:

Hi there,

I’ve recently wanted Disney Infinity 2.0 for Vita as it’s the only toys to life game on that system, but the platinum has been unobtainable for a couple years now, and it’s a shame the platinum is unobtainable... I still would love to play it though, should I just not worry about the platinum and just buy the game anyway? Maybe I should just stop worrying about platinums so much and just play the game lol...

Its not as easy as that when your used to trophy hunting. I said same for rdr2. 100 hours later and im just on my last animal and thinking bout 100 percent. Dam you trophies

While it's the minority by far who wants to plat a game, it's still a portion of income developers are losing when trophies become unobtainable, cuz trophy hunters or completionist are going to ignore it. It would be good if online trophies became a separable list maybe an extra plat, or just treated as they do now with dlc, or stand-alone. I don't know how many we are, but I am quite sure we buy more games than the average people. Like how they did with FFXV they made the multiplayer stand-alone, though forgot to remove it from the actual game :(

11 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I am a 100% nerd, so I absolutely hate having Dante's Inferno on my profile with the servers down or iffy at best and EA completely ignoring our requests. It was suggested that because I only have 17 games on my account (I'm new to trophy hunting), I should make a new account and just re-earn the trophies I have already obtained. I seriously considered it, but I don't want to lose my PSN name that I have now because it's my username on all of my socials and because there were a few trophies that were almost impossibly hard to obtain like the flying levels in the Spyro games or swimming through the electrified tunnel without taking a single hit in Ratchet & Clank. That's not to mention collecting a million bolts in the latter as well. Still, if I could manage to create a new account with my same PSN name, I might give it a go.

Unless someone correct me and Sony had made changes in the feature, for what I know you can change your psn name, so change your account's name to a random one and then create a new account with your current name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=237&v=hy1_HGLHxmQ&feature=emb_title

On topic, I avoid as much as I can mp games, not just for the trophies, but because takes more time to look for people to boost some achievements, I prefer that depends 100% on my skills.

I've purchased games without platinums (little nightmares, song of the deep) and unobtainable ones also (aerea, shiny) try to have an over 60% completion rate but i'm not obsessed with 100%

I don't. To me, a Platinum is just another trophy to be earned. If I can earn a platinum while playing a game, good, if not, that's OK. The way I judge if games with unobtainable trophies should have a place on my profile, is by average completion. If I know that even with the limited options, I can still get an A rank, I start it. Otherwise probably not.

I agree with what @Darghel said, it's kind of the same approach I have with some games. One of the reasons I tend to avoid online-only games and similar.

That being said, I still play games I'm interested in, and I'll try to get the platinum if I can. At the end of the day, it's still mindless fun.

16 hours ago, Blayer8899 said:

Hi there,

I still would love to play it though, should I just not worry about the platinum and just buy the game anyway? Maybe I should just stop worrying about platinums so much and just play the game lol...

You are the only one who cares about your your trophies and your completion rate, so only you can make this decision. Play what you want and have fun.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

Lol thanks guys! Wow so many responses lol!

I am glad you can at least hide trophy lists for games so I guess that’s a good thing, I also think that Travel Bug on Vita is funny since the only trophy you can get now is the first one on the list and that’s it due to near shutting down...

I wonder if Sony allows developers to make changes to trophy lists like what Microsoft did with Project Spark when that game changed to a free to play model before shutting down completely...

Edited by Blayer8899
Added a space for readability.

3 hours ago, Fiikra75 said:

Also, I can't try the multiplayer mode on a burner account to see if I'm willing to go through it for the 100% because it would require a second PS+ subscription, so some games are still sleeping in my backlog because of that. 

Why would it require a second sub. Set the ps+ account as primary and any account played on that PS4 has online privileges right?

Well, Can't say I care too much about my completion rate since it is already 30% completion, but I have quite a few hundred games on that profile, sometimes I'll play on my 2nd account if I don't want to earn trophies for a game yet or to see about roughly when I will earn a trophy at for a game.
If it is a game I have a 1% interest in playing I'll likely get it or play it regardless of a platinum trophy or not.

It should be up to you to decide what to play, and how to play it. As for me, I would not buy a game with unobtainable trophies. It's part of the experience, and there's no good reason why there should be unobtainable trophies.

4 hours ago, GoldenShaka said:

Unless someone correct me and Sony had made changes in the feature, for what I know you can change your psn name, so change your account's name to a random one and then create a new account with your current name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=237&v=hy1_HGLHxmQ&feature=emb_title

That's not going to work. Once you use a username, it is tied to your account. It doesn't return to the pool of available usernames. Which is why you're able to revert back to any username you've used.

44 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

It should be up to you to decide what to play, and how to play it. As for me, I would not buy a game with unobtainable trophies. It's part of the experience, and there's no good reason why there should be unobtainable trophies.

That's not going to work. Once you use a username, it is tied to your account. It doesn't return to the pool of available usernames. Which is why you're able to revert back to any username you've used.

Oh ok, I thought that as soon as you changed your name that name became an available username for anyone.

Edited by GoldenShaka

3 hours ago, Blayer8899 said:

I wonder if Sony allows developers to make changes to trophy lists like what Microsoft did with Project Spark when that game changed to a free to play model before shutting down completely...

I actually don't think Sony does allow for changes to be made other than adding DLC trophies and new platforms/regions.  Steam also allows changes to achievement lists and to be honest I think it's better to not allow changes to a trophy list once it's been submitted.  I'm okay with removal or changes to trophies that no players have earned (or at least no legit players), but I've definitely seen cases on Steam where devs removed all achievements when players had been able to earn them or changed the requirements on a grindy one to make it easier after plenty of players earned it with the grindy requirements and that to me says the dev doesn't value their players' time.

As far as the topic goes, I will not buy games with unobtainable trophies and if a game has an unobtainable trophy, I won't even start playing it if it's a case where I do own it and it broke later or another stack in a cross buy is broken  I don't buy games with trophies that require MP anymore as it is so the only way I'm likely to end up with a game that has an unobtainable trophy is a case where it never worked or the dev broke it with an update.  With stuff like that I think the dev is sending a message that they don't care about their game and if they won't support their game, why should I support it with my money or time?  Thankfully unobtainable trophies aren't as huge of a problem as broken achievements are on Steam, so it's pretty rare for me to run into one

Depends on what it is. There's plenty of games I had mild interest in, but skipped because the Platinum difficulty was too high or grindy or required being a pro at the online. But if I like the series, then I'll make an exception. Such as Wolfenstein II...I really enjoyed the first game, and while Mein Lieben hinders my motivation a bit, I'll play it eventually knowing there's a slim chance I'll even attempt the Plat. I play the latest WWE game ever year and haven't platted it since 2K16 (although 2K20 Plat is on the way). When it comes to super hard Plats (I usually draw the line at 6/10), life is just too short to put myself through the headache and inevitable rage that will follow just to say I got it. I don't get that same sense of accomplishment people get from completing something super difficult, it just ends up being more of a "thank fuck that's over with" mentality. 

For a lot of people trophies are a secondary add-on, they enjoy getting them but they're looked at as their own entity. I don't see them that way. Trophies changed everything about gaming for me. Playing a game and getting the trophies are one in the same, I don't do one without the other. The very structuring of video games and trophies go hand in hand. So when I see the Platinum might be too much for me to handle, any interest I have for the game might die completely because I'll just feel like I'm doing a half assed job at enjoying it. 

But the flip side is also true. I played the entire franchise of Ratchet & Clank...when I got to Tools of Destruction, which has no trophies...it took me nearly a year to finish it. It's not that I didn't like the game, it's because without trophies, I felt directionless. Going for RHYNO parts, or upgrading all the guns, Finding Raritanium, felt pointless because all I had to do with finish the story...and in doing so it became a completely unmemorable game for me. 

As for an older game where I know ahead of time the online is shut down...I'll probably skip it. I went this long without playing it, it's not hurting me to NEVER do so. But again it's completely dependent on what it is. 

All in all this is why I switched my mentality on what I consider playing in the first place. I prefer a more relaxed gaming experience. I'm in it for the art and the entertainment, not a challenge. I may not be playing these super duper hard games...but I at least end up enjoying MOST of what I play these days. 

Edited by Viper

58 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I actually don't think Sony does allow for changes to be made other than adding DLC trophies and new platforms/regions.  Steam also allows changes to achievement lists and to be honest I think it's better to not allow changes to a trophy list once it's been submitted.  I'm okay with removal or changes to trophies that no players have earned (or at least no legit players), but I've definitely seen cases on Steam where devs removed all achievements when players had been able to earn them or changed the requirements on a grindy one to make it easier after plenty of players earned it with the grindy requirements and that to me says the dev doesn't value their players' time.

I'm pretty sure trophies cannot be added to existing lists (or subtracted from). I have never heard of it happening, and I recall the developers of Plants vs Zombies for PS3 saying they would look into adding a platinum trophy after people complained about the lack of one. However, existing trophies can definitely be changed. Here's one example: 

18 hours ago, Conzi2008 said:

I enjoy obtaining Trophies, but I would never avoid playing a game simply because I'm not going to Platinum it. 

For me enjoyment comes before the trophies. If I can have both, that's great, but if not it doesn't really matter. 

Couldn't say any better: fun first, trophies later.

For me trophies are also a way to show my appreciation for the game, because I enjoyed it so much that I want to platinum as a proof of my appreciation. I did something similar with achievements on steam too I've always been a playstation player ever since the very first one. Even before trophies I used to enjoy 100% my game or do most of the content, but having a visible proof of doing it it's always nice to have!

• Like 1