Gameplay mechanics you never used

Slava

I just remembered another one.

The cardboard box in Metal Gear games. Yes, the most famous MGS item. I've beaten Metal Gear Solid 1-3 multiple times before, but I don't remember using the box much in those games, or maybe at all. I guess I was... thinking outside the box. Ok I'm sorry. Anyway, I only found myself using it more in The Phantom Pain, and then in MGS1 again when I started my 4th playthrough of it. Sneaking around inside a cardboard box and fooling enemies that way is cool and funny. Don't know why I never used it before.

Edited by Alderriz

Any games that you can craft temporary buffs / boosts for your character. For example, Dying Light lets you craft boosters that temporarily increase your fighting stamina or damage resistance. I don't bother with it since I don't want to waste the resources on a buff that might give me a slight edge in battle. None of the fights are particularly difficult so I feel like the buffs are useless. I forgot they even existed until I saw this thread ?

• Like 1

I never use fast travel - I see no point in having a big open world to explore if you're just going to fast travel your way through it.

Also, in the Mirror's Edge games, I always play with the red highlighted objects that show you the route turned off. I find that figuring out where you need to go on your own is usually a fun puzzle.

• Like 1

Just now, Melanogaster1987 said:

Also, in the Mirror's Edge games, I always play with the red highlighted objects that show you the route turned off.

That's a good example.

I'm fine with red objects in ME, but if I remember correctly, the first game also highlights enemies for you. That was a little too much for me.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

A few things that come to mind are:

Alchemy / Enchantments in Skyrim:

I know you can create crazy gear with the exploit, but I don't need it. Never created a character who relied on magic either, I'll start of as a warrior and end as a stealth archer, as always :D

I'm kind of the same way. I always build my character as a warrior an I tend to avoid using magic. I also don't really like crafting or enchanting so I barely do either of those.

Edited by Blood_Hungry_III
  • Like 1

I'm horrible at most video games, so my mechanic use is probably not the best. 

I rarely look down my sights to shoot at enemies (unless it's a sniper sight). It's probably because I didn't always play on the best tv and couldn't see the enemies anyway so I just either aim in their general direction or get super close to them. Also, I can't run away quickly if I'm looking down the sight.

I'm really bad at understanding what different stats do in application, so I just try to get my attack as high as possible and hope that I can kill everything before it kills me. This usually works. When I try to be more defensive, I just find that I waste an attack opportunity and still take damage.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

All you people not using Buffs/Debuffs make me sad.  Buff skills are my favorite.  Debuffs very from game to game, but I do tend to ignore them just because in most games they don't work on bosses.  Except for Final Fantasy XIII, which is probably a point for why they shouldn't in most games.  Poison is insane.

You said it yourself, varies from game to game.

With how many ways you can play Dark Souls and even The Witcher 3 respectively, nobody has to use buffs if they don't want to.

• Like 1

Too many to count/remember.

One that comes to mind is advanced dekes in NHL.  For those who can do it, it can be a thing of beauty.  But I just concentrate on mastering the basics and it seems to work out well.  

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Listen Mode/Detective Mode/Survival Instincts

It feels like a cheat system designed to give superpowers to someone who shouldn't have them. It was clever when AC first introduced Eagle Vision but it's felt like a knock off and a substitute for proper level design in every game to use it since. Plus it's completely immersion breaking and I wish it would disappear. 

Hints/Ask the Community - LA Noire

Never felt the need to use this as I typically wouldn't leave a crime scene until the evidence cue music had stopped. 

Fast Travel/Trip Skip

A lot of the fun of open worlds comes from exploring/discovering so I never use this, not even in drawn out  expansive games with sprawling maps which you're restricted to horseback in, like RDR. 

I also never skip cutscenes - because why would you, not even on a second playthrough. Never understood the people who could cheat themselves out of half the story. I don't use the rewind feature in racers either because I'm quite happy to put my hands up when I'm responsible for causing a crash. 

• Like 3