I'm On The Fence With The Price.

MrTacoNinja

It's currently $29.83 at Walmart. Yes, I can buy it slightly cheaper through ebay but that means I'll be waiting at least 5-7 days before I get it so in the meantime that doesn't help me as I have nothing to play (other than Mafia 2 which, at the moment, I'm not sure I'll ever touch again as doing it once on the PS3 was more than I could bare. Such a frustrating, mind numbingly tedious chore of a game).

I have every possible platinum you can have for the Darksiders series (besides this one obviously) and for once in a long time I'd like to play and platinum something I'd actually enjoy instead of the constant shit I play so do you think the price is worth it?

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

I'm a huge Darksiders fan and really enjoyed this game.  I bought it at release for $39.99.  Didn't regret it for a minute.  

With that said, the price will no doubt be greatly reduced in the future through sales and PS+ if past games are any indication. I like supporting titles that I really enjoy so to me the price point is definitely worth it to buy now.

If you're able to shop at Gamestop, they've had a few one day deals for this game at $15 I think.  Wouldn't be surprised if they did again if you can hold out for a little while.  Always tempted to pick it up but very hesitant to give Gamestop my money these days.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

If you need something to play, and already like the Darksiders games, this price is fine. It will take you about 35 hours and two playthroughs to plat it, so the time to money ratio is good. 

I got it for $27 I think in a PSN sale and loved it. I too was waiting for at least half price before I got it, bit I don't regret my decision at all. It's a fun game with lots to find and do.

35 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

If you're able to shop at Gamestop, they've had a few one day deals for this game at $15 I think.  Wouldn't be surprised if they did again if you can hold out for a little while.  Always tempted to pick it up but very hesitant to give Gamestop my money these days.

This right here. Saw it go on sale for $15 twice already. So I'd hold off on buying it until you get a sick deal like that or cheaper.

I don't know if it's because it's all new to me and it's one of these scenarios where I have to get used to everything but so far I absolutely hate it. The top-down view makes everything so goddamn small I have to squint. The button layouts are confusing as fuck. The twin-stick shooting control method is just annoying to me. Strife sounds like a little blond-tipped college douchebag and his dialogue grates on my nerves FAST. No on-screen map (an absolutely annoying trend in video games nowadays) so I constantly have to press the touchpad. If enemies - or anything else for that matter - are behind something I have no fucking idea shit's even there because I CAN'T SEE IT! They patched 50 million problems yet I've already run into several bugs and I just started this damn game! At the moment 30 dollars wasted because I absolutely cannot stand this game and the direction they took it. I really, REALLY hope as time goes on I get used to all of this.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

I bought it day one and honestly I didn’t expect to enjoy it because I’m not really into these sort of top down games but being a Darksiders game, I just had to buy it and complete the Platinum collection and funnily enough, i really enjoyed it. The combat, the abilities, the gameplay, it was all done really well. But if i was you, I’d just buy it from ebay simply because i know i can sell it off once im done with it because I don’t tend to replay games more than once

Already bought it from Walmart yesterday. The biggest problems I'm having is the confusing mapping of all the abilities and standard moves as well as items and enemies. I can hardly see anything because it's so small! The enemies barely stick out. I can barely tell when they're even attacking. It's just so hard to see anything with this top-down view. I know I just started this game but man I hate it! Like you I bought it to complete the collection as I have every platinum you can possibly have for this series but this game, hands down, is the absolute worst in the series and I'm praying to god I get used to everything because if not I'm in for one long, frustrating ride here.

If you love the Darksiders series than 30 bucks should be a no brainer. I paid 40 on launch and don't regret it one bit.  I did a Co-Op playthrough and Solo playthrough. Its a fun platinum.  You'll get you're money worth.

40 minutes ago, Toma_Gabriel said:

Can I ask you what kind of TV you got?

Sounds strange to me all that hate :(

I honestly don't mean to hate it. I don't know, something just isn't clicking here for me. I'm really hoping it's just me having to get used to this new Darksiders approach (top-down twin stick style). Things are just really confusing to me right now but it's understandable as any new game will be until you get used to it but as previously mentioned it's how small things appear on the screen and this whole twin stick shooting thing that's throwing me for a loop. 

As for the tv I have I have a 55" Hisense. I sit about 6 feet away so visually I should be having no problems seeing stuff but I am, especially when it comes to the enemies attacking.

1 hour ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I honestly don't mean to hate it. I don't know, something just isn't clicking here for me. I'm really hoping it's just me having to get used to this new Darksiders approach (top-down twin stick style). Things are just really confusing to me right now but it's understandable as any new game will be until you get used to it but as previously mentioned it's how small things appear on the screen and this whole twin stick shooting thing that's throwing me for a loop. 

As for the tv I have I have a 55" Hisense. I sit about 6 feet away so visually I should be having no problems seeing stuff but I am, especially when it comes to the enemies attacking.

No idea why you’re having a hard time. Perhaps in one of the patches they’ve messed some things up like making the environment darker? Or maybe it’s something to do with your tv that’s affecting the game directly? Because when I first played it, I didn’t have a single issue. Enemies were clear, i knew where i was going so a map wasn’t really needed. Had to get used to it but after 30 mins or so of playing, i was fine and loving it. I played on a 27 inch monitor btw so you can imagine how small things were and i played maybe within a metre but tbf, even on a 55 inch tv, it will appear small because the game is showing you the environment as well as it being top-down but try to adjust yourself and you should be fine

Yeah I think it's just a matter of me adjusting and getting used to this game. I should be and AM used to this camera view by now considering the amount of games I've played with this top-down camera approach and I prefer this type of view but I don't know, for some reason with this game I'm finding something off about it.

For the enemies behind the environment, there is a setting that makes them visible if they're behind something. I thought it was on by default but maybe not.

As far as button layout, yeah, they're weird, but I eventually got used to them. I would still do the wrong things even on my second playthrough, but it was fine. It can get confusing when you have to hold L1 and press a button to activate abilities and changing ammo types or sword enhancements is cumbersome. It really seems the controls were designed for a keyboard first and then crammed into a controller.

Also, starting the game on the horse was a bad decision as it felt very awkward. I spent very little time riding. I hope you end up liking it, at least. 

7 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I don't know if it's because it's all new to me and it's one of these scenarios where I have to get used to everything but so far I absolutely hate it. The top-down view makes everything so goddamn small I have to squint. The button layouts are confusing as fuck. The twin-stick shooting control method is just annoying to me. Strife sounds like a little blond-tipped college douchebag and his dialogue grates on my nerves FAST. No on-screen map (an absolutely annoying trend in video games nowadays) so I constantly have to press the touchpad. If enemies - or anything else for that matter - are behind something I have no fucking idea shit's even there because I CAN'T SEE IT! They patched 50 million problems yet I've already run into several bugs and I just started this damn game! At the moment 30 dollars wasted because I absolutely cannot stand this game and the direction they took it. I really, REALLY hope as time goes on I get used to all of this.

Darksiders has been getting progressively worse with every new release. Four games in and STILL no resolution to the end of THE FIRST GAME. I don't mind the game play of Genesis, since I rather enjoyed similar games like Gauntlet. But I'll not purchase another at launch. DS2 was good enough, 3 was a huge let down and this one was just released in a bad state. The difficulty was poorly balanced when playing on Casual, the platforming just sucks and there were way too many bugs. Thankfully they fixed the most obnoxious one: The damn echo in the Void.

It's better now, but still far from DS1. I like the Gaunlet style gameplay, but it would have been more fun playing with a friend or something (which I didn't do on this one)

As a heads up, you think it's small now... When I did the Leviathan Core, I had to set the speed to it's slowest AND I had to change the zoom settings on my TV so I could see what I was doing. Finally pulled it off after a while.

Edited by shrap

I'm slowing getting used to it but I think there are a few things that just wont sit right with me no matter what and that's how hard things are to see, the 2-step process to activate a skill (I keep forgetting I have these skills due to this, lol) and the atrocious voice acting of Strife! What were they thinking making him sound the way he does? It's terrible! Also, there's no loot in this game??? Loved the loot system in Darksiders 2 and how you could upgrade your weapons and armor by feeding it other pieces of weapons and armor. Some loved it. Some hated it. I loved it.

9 hours ago, shrap said:

As a heads up, you think it's small now... When I did the Leviathan Core, I had to set the speed to it's slowest AND I had to change the zoom settings on my TV so I could see what I was doing. Finally pulled it off after a while.

I did the Leviathan's Landing and got all 3 cores. The first section wasn't too bad. I slowed down the game speed to make it a little bit more manageable. The second section gave me a bit of a headache and the third section I glitched my way up to it. I've finished 3 chapters but so far I'm still on the fence about how I feel about this game as a whole. I just don't think a top-down, twin stick approach is the right way to go with a Darksiders game and I pray to god that this isn't the direction they're going to take with any Darksiders game in the future. 

And for the love of God Pleeeeeease don't make Strife sound like how he does in Genesis if he returns in Darksiders 4!

Edited by MrTacoNinja

17 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I did the Leviathan's Landing and got all 3 cores. The first section wasn't too bad. I slowed down the game speed to make it a little bit more manageable. The second section gave me a bit of a headache and the third section I glitched my way up to it. I've finished 3 chapters but so far I'm still on the fence about how I feel about this game as a whole. I just don't think a top-down, twin stick approach is the right way to go with a Darksiders game and I pray to god that this isn't the direction they're going to take with any Darksiders game in the future. 

And for the love of God Pleeeeeease don't make Strife sound like how he does in Genesis if he returns in Darksiders 4!

i think they did top down as a rushed experiment maybe? perhaps not knowing how they wanted 3rd person shooting with strife if they did it like D1-3.

I think they'll do 1 more darksiders game. That has all 4 riders. Then thats it. 

Eh, I thought Strife was fine. The plot was good. Darksiders has a good story, everything else aside, but it is tiresome that we still don't have a resolution with the riders putting the conspiracy to rest.

It was cool that the game acknowledged some of the side source materials, like why War's hand is so freakishly big.

Edited by shrap

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 6:06 AM, MrTacoNinja said:

I felt the same way when I started playing the game, and I've finished all of these games. The game hot better for me as I got better upgrades. I didn't like Strife at the beginning because he was just felt too weak, but by the end that's the only one I used. Just stick with it, it gets better as you get stronger. 

Edited by thabg23