Desmuria's Despair (Backlog and Wishlist)

Desmuria

2 hours ago, Raveniteh said:

I think this started happening around PS3/X360 generation with FPS and MOBA games. It's just that trends change over time. That's why I love and support unique games even if they are indie projects, because we need that. We need games to be diverse. That's why I support games like RAD and Neon Abyss and PSVR games, because it's a fresh air for the gaming.

First person shooters have been popular ever since DOOM, and we were just kids who didn't know anything. MOBAs such as League of Legends and DOTA 2 became insanely popular, and started a number of trends amongst younger people.

What I don't like is when people say crap like Fortnite is the greatest thing ever. A few years ago it was Overwatch, now it's Fortnite. I honestly don't care for these multiplayer battleground type games. I hardly play multiplayer at all anymore, got tired of people in general and I find single player a lot more relaxing.

You look at my trophy profile and I have a variety of games. What makes me sad is most people aren't going to try something like Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number because it's too niche and the graphics turn them away. The same reason why I said indie point and clicks aren't going to keep today's kids minds occupied. They have terrible attention spans.

2 hours ago, Raveniteh said:

Oh I am not dissing those games in any way, I do play most games that are released as well, but it's getting more and more difficult to find something unique and creative with each passing year of gaming. So for inspiration, do tell your favourite indies of this year.

I knew Ghosts of Tsushima was just going to be another western AAA open world game the moment Sucker Punch said it would be open world. I followed that for quite a while.

If you want something that is actually more unique and creative, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a better representation. Sure it's borrowed a lot from Bloodborne and the Souls games in general, but the stuff From Software has made over the years has been quality. The bosses you have to fight in Bloodborne have more creativity and style than virtually any boss in any western AAA game I've played in the past few years. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls both have amazing bosses.

Western developers just don't have that line of creativity and flow.

I haven't done any indies made this year in 2020. What I can tell you is indies I've done that I can recommend, like Horizon Chase Turbo. Fun on rails racer.

2 hours ago, Desmuria said:

I LOVE Assassin's Creed. I played the original game on the Xbox 360 and I knew it had its flaws, but I still loved playing it.

After Assasin's Creed II was released, righting all the wrongs of the original game, I knew that the franchise would be something I was willing to invest in.

Ubisoft have had their issues when it comes to crowd-pleasing, if you will. I just think they did a smashing job with listening to fans and re-working their formula, rather than re-hashing. Once they'd perfected the formula, they stuck with it - but it worked! A lot of people fell off playing Assassin's Creed because the games felt to "same-y", which I can understand.

However (and this is a massive bone of contention with me), when Ubisoft decided to change the formula again for the Assassin's Creed games, they got so many complaints from fans. Ubisoft were damned if they did and damned if they didn't when it came to releasing more AC games.

Personally, I loved the shift to RPG in Origins and Odyssey and I currently have Valhalla on pre-order. It just pisses me off that people say they're not Assassin's Creed games anymore. They are Assassin's Creed games. They're just in a different format because everyone bitched and moaned about the previous ones being too similar, now they're too different? Please.

Sorry for the rant.

The complaints were from people who thought Altair started the Assassins. There is a bit of story in Revelations that dives into Altair which is quite interesting.

In Origins you learn that Bayek isn't an Assassin until the very end. His wife Amunet went to Rome to kill off Julius Caesar and track down Cleopatra. She forms what the game calls 'the Hidden Ones'. She is stationed in Rome. Bayek does the same thing in Egypt, forms 'the Hidden Ones' after all the important members of The Order of Ancients are killed off. But we all know they are Assassins, but the game itself doesn't refer to them as Assassins.

I get that Bayek predates Altair by over a thousand years and he practically formed the Assassins as they are, so why were they referred to as 'the Hidden Ones'? Didn't make any sense to me.

In Odyssey you basically go back to the 400s BC, centuries before Bayek ever formed 'the Hidden Ones' and you play what looks like a Spartan warrior. So far I have seen nothing in Odyssey that even suggests that these guys are Assassins at all. Now I haven't played through this game yet so no major spoilers for me please. But it looks like from the first DLC we're supposed to learn how the Hidden Blade came into being. You know, the trademark weapon of the Assassins. Then the second DLC delves into The Fate of Atlantis. That mythical city that I very much feel never existed in human history.

It honestly looks like I'm going to go talk to major characters in Greek Mythology like Poseidon, the God of the Sea, and fight Cerberus, the three headed dog that guards the entrance to the underworld. Does this sound Assassin's Creed to you?

Then there's the present day storyline. Ubisoft has done fucked it up so many times I would be happier if they just ditched this crap for good. For a long time we were playing Desmond Miles, aka Subject 17 who was the key to learning the memories of past ancestors to try to find Pieces of Eden. That was Warren Vidic's goal when he was experimenting with him. We see him with Lucy Stillman, Rebecca Crane and Shaun Hastings. They were the remnants of present day Assassins hiding from Abstergo, whom as we all know are the Templars.

Ubisoft messed up Minerva, they kill off Lucy, put Desmond in a coma, have Desmond killed, and we spend the next few Assassin's Creed games playing some mute faceless Assassin who is helped by Shaun and Rebecca.... and later Bishop. Who the fuck was Bishop? What was her role in the present day storyline?

And now we have Layla Hassan. I cannot stand her. She just comes off as a whiny, spoiled baby. Her companion in Origins that Layla talks to over the phone dies by the hands of Abstergo, but honestly I didn't care to hear her dying because she was just annoying to listen to. William Miles shows up a bit later, why is he even still around? Layla desperately tries to find answers within the memories of Bayek and Amunet, then flees to a new location because Abstergo found her.

From screenshots there's going to be more of Layla in Odyssey, and one of my friends tells me she gets even worse. I was never a big fan of Desmond Miles but I would take him anyday over Layla. She is annoying and whiny, honestly I hate that crap. The present day storyline in Assassin's Creed is just ass now. No idea why Ubisoft even bothers with it at this point.

Edited by Spaz

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

One reason I buy indies.

Pretty much, because I'm also a PC gamer, the internet also has a fair share of Freeware indie games, usually made form of RPG Maker or WOLF RPG Editor, where most of them are actually good that I might make a thread about it in the meantime. I've played some of those, especially horror ones, and some of them are better than some AAA "horror" games like Alone in the Dark on PS3.

4 hours ago, Desmuria said:

However (and this is a massive bone of contention with me), when Ubisoft decided to change the formula again for the Assassin's Creed games, they got so many complaints from fans. Ubisoft were damned if they did and damned if they didn't when it came to releasing more AC games.

Personally, I loved the shift to RPG in Origins and Odyssey and I currently have Valhalla on pre-order. It just pisses me off that people say they're not Assassin's Creed games anymore. They are Assassin's Creed games. They're just in a different format because everyone bitched and moaned about the previous ones being too similar, now they're too different? Please.

What would you expect? People hated changes to a game's formula, because they're ingrained. God of War 2018 has its core elements from the series deconstructed and completely revamped from the ground up for a fresh experience, which was a transition from hack-and-slash into an RPG. Did people complain about the change? No! Most people loved it, seeing as GoW is now in a different direction with different mechanics, but it will still be the same God of War we all know in love. That is utterly ridiculous to complain about something that is completely different from what it was. I played the main GoW games and I did not complain when I played GoW 2018, even though it was different from its predecessors. I loved AC: Odyssey, and it was fun with Alexios, albeit slow.

Edited by BadRep24

9 minutes ago, BadRep24 said:

Pretty much, because I'm also a PC gamer, the internet also has a fair share of Freeware indie games, usually made form of RPG Maker or WOLF RPG Editor, where most of them are actually good that I might make a thread about it in the meantime. I've played some of those, especially horror ones, and some of them are better than some AAA "horror" games.

I'm not sparing out stuff on PC gaming, because I've been around PCs since the early 1990s. I know my share of games.

A good majority of what comes from Steam is shit shovelware. It is unbelievable how much crap comes from there. There are some pretty solid indies, some of which I wish would make it to the PS4 (Cuphead). A lot of it is stuff made for the quick buck.

9 minutes ago, BadRep24 said:

What would you expect? People hated changes to a game's formula, because they're ingrained. God of War 2018 has its core elements from the series deconstructed and completely revamped from the ground up for a fresh experience, which was a transition from hack-and-slash into an RPG. Did people complain about the change? No! That is utterly ridiculous to complain about something that is completely different from what it was. I loved Odyssey, and it was fun, albeit slow.

The modern God of War doesn't even qualify as a true RPG, or even a RPG at all. A true RPG is stuff that has deep compelling gameplay and many different choices, such as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and the old Fallout games (before Bethesda). Old games from 20 years ago, but all time classics.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is more RPG like than modern day God of War. It's essentially a 30 - 40 hour adventure, which is extremely short by RPG standards.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I honestly don't care for these multiplayer battleground type games. I hardly play multiplayer at all anymore, got tired of people in general and I find single player a lot more relaxing.

The only MP games I played lately are either Battlefield with couple of my mates or games like Conan Exiles or Forest, because we can coop and build together.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

You look at my trophy profile and I have a variety of games. What makes me sad is most people aren't going to try something like Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number because it's too niche and the graphics turn them away.

Yeah same here, I have games from all over the spectrum. With exception of fighting games because I am simply not good at those. Man, Hotline Miami 2 is fantastic game, it was first game I made for my (now dead) youtube channel alongside Bloodborne. I just love retro/synth music and that game is packing. Not sure why but Devolver Digital is just so good at picking neat games, just look at Carrion or My Friend Pedro.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

If you want something that is actually more unique and creative, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a better representation. Sure it's borrowed a lot from Bloodborne and the Souls games in general, but the stuff From Software has made over the years has been quality. The bosses you have to fight in Bloodborne have more creativity and style than virtually any boss in any western AAA game I've played in the past few years. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls both have amazing bosses.

For some odd reason Sekiro didn't click with me yet, but I will give it another shot sooner or later. But I am massive fan of Bloodborne as I think of it as one of the best games of all times with the gameplay, world building and lore. I went through the game multiple times already and still I want more. Funny you would mention Demon's Souls - I played that when we got it free for PS+ and fell in love with it. It just felt different, simple yet complex. I still have bad feeling for killing Maiden Astraea as she was truly different boss and didn't even want to fight. I went and plated the game for each region. You can't imagine how extremely hyped I am for the remake, I just hope they will keep world and character tendencies and that rough feeling. 

Western developers are not allowed that much creativity because they are suffocated by publishers most of the time. We do still get interesting games like Sinking City or Serial Cleaner, Moonlighter or RAD, but I find Japanese games way more interesting.

9 minutes ago, Raveniteh said:

You can't imagine how extremely hyped I am for the remake, I just hope they will keep world and character tendencies and that rough feeling.

They will have to rework the World/Character Tendency mechanic. You can bet anything there won't be a duping glitch. I would be happy if they made the remake more difficult.... getting tired of these modern day AAA games being piss easy.

10 minutes ago, Raveniteh said:

Western developers are not allowed that much creativity because they are suffocated by publishers most of the time. We do still get interesting games like Sinking City or Serial Cleaner, Moonlighter or RAD, but I find Japanese games way more interesting.

All of those publishers fucking suck.

Dead Space was a great concept and a good game, but EA ran the franchise into the fucking ground... now there's no chance it will come back. Activision? Blizzard Entertainment has been a pile of shit since Activision became involved. They release Call of Duty every damn year because idiots buy into the label. 2K Games? Trash, they throw micro transactions in sports games like NBA 2K20. I don't want that shit in my games.

Bethesda turned into a pile of shit with Fallout 76. Now I'm doubting we're going to get a Elder Scrolls VI, or if we do it's going to be watered down shit.

What the fuck happened to western developers? The only actual good shit is coming from the indie guys. All the mainstream western developers suck nowadays.

12 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Dead Space was a great concept and a good game, but EA ran the franchise into the fucking ground... now there's no chance it will come back. Activision? Blizzard Entertainment has been a pile of shit since Activision became involved. They release Call of Duty every damn year because idiots buy into the label. 2K Games? Trash, they throw micro transactions in sports games like NBA 2K20. I don't want that shit in my games.

EA is like Martin Li's corrupting touch in Marvel's Spider-Man. What is once a good series later becomes complete crap, when a company shows their true colours including their incompetence, thus destroying a well-known video game series in the process like EA destroying the Mass Effect series, in case of Andromeda. In case of Activision merging with Blizzard, I'll never touch their games under that company again, after their biggest blunder that was Diablo: Immortal. I'll go back and play Warcraft III, and it is still a blast.

Edited by BadRep24

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

They will have to rework the World/Character Tendency mechanic. You can bet anything there won't be a duping glitch. I would be happy if they made the remake more difficult.... getting tired of these modern day AAA games being piss easy.

I wonder how they plan to do it as tendencies are essential to unlock and get specific items and NPCs. And I can say I will miss duping glitch, it did came handy here and there. I also wonder if they will keep one bonfire per location style or add more of them. 

24 minutes ago, Spaz said:

What the fuck happened to western developers? The only actual good shit is coming from the indie guys. All the mainstream western developers suck nowadays.

I think the answer is painfully simple. Money happened. They got too big too quick. Now all they care is earning more money and pleasing investors. Just look at some examples - Activision Blizzard is reporting record revenue and still fires hundreds of employees, EA promotes gambling (sorry, surprise mechanics) while dodging all the blame, Ubisoft releases broken games and covers for rapists and abusers, 2K chokes progress so people would be more willing to spend money on microtransactions. And that's just few. 

31 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Now I'm doubting we're going to get a Elder Scrolls VI, or if we do it's going to be watered down shit.

I genuinely think that they are not capable of making it a worthy successor.  Not after all the crap they are pulling off.

23 minutes ago, BadRep24 said:

I'll never touch their games under that company again, after their biggest blunder that was Diablo: Immortal

But do you guys not have phones?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Bethesda turned into a pile of shit with Fallout 76. Now I'm doubting we're going to get a Elder Scrolls VI, or if we do it's going to be watered down shit.

Bethesda was the only company that can release games on the buggiest game engine and still get praised. Don't get me wrong, I liked their games and played them since Elder Scrolls 3 on the original Xbox, but man did the bugs hurt. I don't think we'll ever see the same quality as Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas (my personal favorite). They have their MMO which is holding them afloat a little and decided to go down this whole MP path with things like Fallout 76. I hate how publishers just see the burn and churn of MP games and decide to go that route now. It's been so rare to get quality couch coop games anymore. If only they just added a coop patch to the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games for like $5, they could have made some money there.

6 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Bethesda was the only company that can release games on the buggiest game engine and still get praised. Don't get me wrong, I liked their games and played them since Elder Scrolls 3 on the original Xbox, but man did the bugs hurt. I don't think we'll ever see the same quality as Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas (my personal favorite). They have their MMO which is holding them afloat a little and decided to go down this whole MP path with things like Fallout 76. I hate how publishers just see the burn and churn of MP games and decide to go that route now. It's been so rare to get quality couch coop games anymore. If only they just added a coop patch to the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games for like $5, they could have made some money there.

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind was my personal favorite.

They dumbed down a lot going from Fallout 3 and New Vegas to Fallout 4. Karma didn't seem to matter, whereas in the old games it did. Your dialogue choices didn't mean as much. Dialogue in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 meant everything. You could be a saint or you could be somebody that all the good people hated. It completely changed the way factions looked at you, and that was what I loved so much about those old school Fallout games. Fallout 3 had some of this, but the karma system was greatly toned down to make it more simplified. Fallout 3 still had a lot more of that going than Fallout 4. In Fallout 4 Bethesda basically dumbed down the karma system so much it isn't a significant factor anymore.

Couch co-op is pretty much non existent nowadays. Resogun is a fantastic couch co-op experience but that game is a skill based shmup, and none of my friends or family are any good so they can't help with that local co-op trophy.

• Like 1

Wow, I missed a lot. I'm going to have to skip a lot of stuff because I don't have time to respond to everything, so please forgive me.

On 24/07/2020 at 10:41 AM, Spaz said:

In Odyssey you basically go back to the 400s BC, centuries before Bayek ever formed 'the Hidden Ones' and you play what looks like a Spartan warrior. So far I have seen nothing in Odyssey that even suggests that these guys are Assassins at all. Now I haven't played through this game yet so no major spoilers for me please. But it looks like from the first DLC we're supposed to learn how the Hidden Blade came into being. You know, the trademark weapon of the Assassins. Then the second DLC delves into The Fate of Atlantis. That mythical city that I very much feel never existed in human history.

Yes, Odyssey is set before AC Origins. Alexios and Kassandra are mercenaries (misthios) and they have a particular broken spear that they use as a rudimentary "hidden blade".

When it comes to the DLC, I've only played the first part, which is called Legacy of the First Blade. As you've asked for no spoilers, I can't properly explain it.

I haven't got round to playing The Fate of Atlantis, but you actually visit the Gates of Atlantis during the main game and, again, this is spoiler territory, so I'll leave it at that.

It honestly looks like I'm going to go talk to major characters in Greek Mythology like Poseidon, the God of the Sea, and fight Cerberus, the three headed dog that guards the entrance to the underworld. Does this sound Assassin's Creed to you?

Based on the other games? No. (Except Origins, see below). However, I don't feel that it fell out of place for the franchise. I quite enjoyed the mythological aspects of it.

Plus, in Assassin's Creed Origins, there's a temple that you can visit that has undead mummies that guard it (and kick your ass if you get too close).

AC Origins' DLC also has mythological aspects. I haven't got the season pass for AC Origins, so I can't say whether it's any good or not, but I've heard good things from friends.

Then there's the present day storyline. Ubisoft has done fucked it up so many times I would be happier if they just ditched this crap for good.

I know i've only quoted a small section of what you said about the present day stuff and I understand your comments regarding that.

I personally don't mind the present day stuff and, although killing off Lucy and Desmond was a bit of a bummer, I can't say that I dislike Layla.

Origins and Odyssey don't really focus an awful amount of time on the present day stuff either, so it's becoming less and less relevant as they release new games.

I'll be interested to see how much they incorporate it into Valhalla. Hopefully they do, but I don't want too much of it.

On 24/07/2020 at 0:32 PM, BadRep24 said:

What would you expect? People hated changes to a game's formula, because they're ingrained. God of War 2018 has its core elements from the series deconstructed and completely revamped from the ground up for a fresh experience, which was a transition from hack-and-slash into an RPG. Did people complain about the change? No! Most people loved it, seeing as GoW is now in a different direction with different mechanics, but it will still be the same God of War we all know in love. That is utterly ridiculous to complain about something that is completely different from what it was. I played the main GoW games and I did not complain when I played GoW 2018, even though it was different from its predecessors. I loved AC: Odyssey, and it was fun with Alexios, albeit slow.

Hey, BadRep, welcome in to my little corner of despair.

100% agree with you. It bugs me that people get so pissy with developers for trying something new, especially if it works (which I believe Origins/Odyssey did).

As mentioned above, I feel adding the whole mythological side to the games really spices things up and I really enjoyed the Sphinx puzzle and kicking Medusa's ass.

I mean, we're talking about a secret order of ruthless and efficient killers. Why not have them go up against something otherworldly, rather than the same old enemies?

I can't really comment on God of War. I never played the original game and, as you can see from my incomplete games, I gave up pretty early on with the 2018 version.

I will go back to it, I just need to find the time to dedicate myself to it. The way my backlog looks right now, I feel I need to clear more of it before I can settle.

dctrchu-4c59fadb-997a-4b06-a4cc-351b4b074fa3.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMTM5MmYyZTMtZDIxNC00NDBkLThhOTctNjVlMWQ2ZjVhNDYwXC9kY3RyY2h1LTRjNTlmYWRiLTk5N2EtNGIwNi1hNGNjLTM1MWI0YjA3NGZhMy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.tWlk1XoSbInfJ8u9Yl2OCCe4Yiq0aOW4Jf_7jtwBPR4dctrchu-4c59fadb-997a-4b06-a4cc-351b4b074fa3.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMTM5MmYyZTMtZDIxNC00NDBkLThhOTctNjVlMWQ2ZjVhNDYwXC9kY3RyY2h1LTRjNTlmYWRiLTk5N2EtNGIwNi1hNGNjLTM1MWI0YjA3NGZhMy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.tWlk1XoSbInfJ8u9Yl2OCCe4Yiq0aOW4Jf_7jtwBPR4dctrchu-4c59fadb-997a-4b06-a4cc-351b4b074fa3.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMTM5MmYyZTMtZDIxNC00NDBkLThhOTctNjVlMWQ2ZjVhNDYwXC9kY3RyY2h1LTRjNTlmYWRiLTk5N2EtNGIwNi1hNGNjLTM1MWI0YjA3NGZhMy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.tWlk1XoSbInfJ8u9Yl2OCCe4Yiq0aOW4Jf_7jtwBPR4

NEW COMPLETED GAMES

:platinum: #303 - DISTRAINT 2

Lb75858.png

1L37d230.png

Platinum DISTRAINT 2
Get all other trophies.

dctrchu-4c59fadb-997a-4b06-a4cc-351b4b074fa3.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMTM5MmYyZTMtZDIxNC00NDBkLThhOTctNjVlMWQ2ZjVhNDYwXC9kY3RyY2h1LTRjNTlmYWRiLTk5N2EtNGIwNi1hNGNjLTM1MWI0YjA3NGZhMy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.tWlk1XoSbInfJ8u9Yl2OCCe4Yiq0aOW4Jf_7jtwBPR4dctrchu-4c59fadb-997a-4b06-a4cc-351b4b074fa3.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMTM5MmYyZTMtZDIxNC00NDBkLThhOTctNjVlMWQ2ZjVhNDYwXC9kY3RyY2h1LTRjNTlmYWRiLTk5N2EtNGIwNi1hNGNjLTM1MWI0YjA3NGZhMy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.tWlk1XoSbInfJ8u9Yl2OCCe4Yiq0aOW4Jf_7jtwBPR4dctrchu-4c59fadb-997a-4b06-a4cc-351b4b074fa3.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMTM5MmYyZTMtZDIxNC00NDBkLThhOTctNjVlMWQ2ZjVhNDYwXC9kY3RyY2h1LTRjNTlmYWRiLTk5N2EtNGIwNi1hNGNjLTM1MWI0YjA3NGZhMy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.tWlk1XoSbInfJ8u9Yl2OCCe4Yiq0aOW4Jf_7jtwBPR4

:platinum: #304 - Edna and Harvey: The Breakout (Anniversary Edition)

L9597f3.png

1Labfe56.png

Platinum
Collect all Trophies

:platinum: #305 - Gorogoa

L1532df.png

1L45acb1.png

All Done

Unlock all trophies.

:platinum: #306 & :platinum: #307 - Heroes Trials

Ldb2bc7.png

1Lf67a68.png

Platinum hero
Obtained all trophies.

Particularly proud of the Gorogoa platinum because I've had that game rotting in my backlog for a year (maybe two).

Got the whole weekend ahead of me now, so I'm going to see what else I can achieve.

I'll probably post another update on Sunday with my progress.

Hope you all have a smashin' weekend.

Edited by Desmuria
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 2:34 AM, Desmuria said:

Yes, Odyssey is set before AC Origins. Alexios and Kassandra are mercenaries (misthios) and they have a particular broken spear that they use as a rudimentary "hidden blade".

When it comes to the DLC, I've only played the first part, which is called Legacy of the First Blade. As you've asked for no spoilers, I can't properly explain it.

I haven't got round to playing The Fate of Atlantis, but you actually visit the Gates of Atlantis during the main game and, again, this is spoiler territory, so I'll leave it at that.

The way I treated Assassin's Creed Origins was I treated it as a standalone game. The result was I got a lot more enjoyment doing so.

Looks like I will do the same for Odyssey.

Based on the other games? No. (Except Origins, see below). However, I don't feel that it fell out of place for the franchise. I quite enjoyed the mythological aspects of it.

Plus, in Assassin's Creed Origins, there's a temple that you can visit that has undead mummies that guard it (and kick your ass if you get too close).

AC Origins' DLC also has mythological aspects. I haven't got the season pass for AC Origins, so I can't say whether it's any good or not, but I've heard good things from friends.

The reality was thrown out the window at the end of Assassin's Creed II when Ezio encountered beings of the First Civilization after his fight with Rodrigo Borgia. However it didn't feel too out of place.

Yes I have gone to that temple in Origins, the entire DLC basically revolved around ancient Pharoahs that were brought back to life by a Piece of Eden.

So I'm guessing that those Pieces of Eden have something to do with those mythological creatures you encounter in Odyssey. Still, they seem completely out of place. There was nothing like that from before Origins, it was simply Assassins and Templars trying to find those Pieces of Eden. One side saw it differently from another. That all seems tossed out in Odyssey.

I know i've only quoted a small section of what you said about the present day stuff and I understand your comments regarding that.

I personally don't mind the present day stuff and, although killing off Lucy and Desmond was a bit of a bummer, I can't say that I dislike Layla.

Origins and Odyssey don't really focus an awful amount of time on the present day stuff either, so it's becoming less and less relevant as they release new games.

I'll be interested to see how much they incorporate it into Valhalla. Hopefully they do, but I don't want too much of it.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree.

The present day story sucks. Layla Hassan sucks. I spoiled myself a bit by watching cutscenes on YouTube regarding Layla's role in Odyssey, and she is damn near intolerable.

I think most of us can agree that Desmond wasn't that great to begin with. He was a bit bland and boring from the very start. But he was titled Subject 17 according to Warren Vidic, and the history of his past ancestors was the selling point of the series.

Nobody cares about Lucy, she died a decade ago at the end of Brotherhood. As for Desmond, Ubisoft basically made a terrible ending for him. At least in Origins and Odyssey you're not some mute faceless person doing random jobs for people, nor watching some lame cutscenes involving Bishop, Rebecca Crane and Shaun Hastings. But it's not much of an improvement.

To be frank, both Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate focused less on the present day stuff, because you were just watching some cutscenes. Origins and Odyssey aren't as lengthy as II and Brotherhood's present day bits, granted, but they are still too long.

With Valhalla now coming out, I'll probably just wait for the price to drop to $20 - 30 before I will consider purchasing it. Of course, knowing how Ubisoft does their business, there will be a Gold and Ultimate Edition of the game, with the Ultimate Edition priced at $119.99.

Edited by Spaz

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

The way I treated Assassin's Creed Origins was I treated it as a standalone game. The result was I got a lot more enjoyment doing so.

Each to their own, but there's no denying that Origins and Odyssey and, by the looks of things, Valhalla are Assassin's Creed games.

Although the RPG element is completely different to the previous installments in the franchise, that doesn't mean that they're no longer Assassin's Creed games.

The stories show the evolution of "The Hidden Ones" which eventually becomes the Assassin's Order and, obviously, the involvement of Abstergo links it all nicely together.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

There was nothing like that from before Origins, it was simply Assassins and Templars trying to find those Pieces of Eden.

This is exactly why people got bored of the franchise and forced Ubisoft's hand to make it more interesting.

As I said before, Ubisoft couldn't win either way. They could've pushed out another game with the same old mechanics and the same old story and people would've moaned.

This is why I firmly believe that they did the right thing by releasing the RPG-style games to freshen up and "reboot" the franchise.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

That all seems tossed out in Odyssey.

That's simply not the case. There are Pieces of Eden in Odyssey.

The Spear of Leonidas (also known as the Spear of Eden), The Staff of Hermes Trismegistus and The Sword of Damokles.

Obviously, during the time that these games were set, the crusades hasn't begun and the Templar order had not yet been formed.

However, Assassin's Creed Odyssey offers up a Templar equivalent called The Cult of Kosmos who stir the war between Athens and Sparta.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

I think most of us can agree that Desmond wasn't that great to begin with. He was a bit bland and boring from the very start.

I, for one, don't agree with this. I really liked Desmond as a character and I enjoyed playing as him in the present day. I was really upset when they killed him off.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Nobody cares about Lucy, she died a decade ago at the end of Brotherhood.

Once again, I don't agree. I cared about Lucy and I thought she was a great addition to the cast in the present day.

I thought her story was rather compelling. Her secret defection from the Assassin Order over to the Templars was really well done.

Juno ratted her out to Desmond at the end of Brotherhood and gave him no choice but to kill her for the betrayal. At the time, it was gut-wrenching stuff.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Of course, knowing how Ubisoft does their business, there will be a Gold and Ultimate Edition of the game, with the Ultimate Edition priced at $119.99.

Yes, there are Gold and Ultimate Editions available to pre-order for Valhalla.

I've pre-ordered the Gold Edition as it includes the season pass. Luckily for me, I got an offer from Ubisoft to get 20% off my pre-order by spending 100 Ubisoft points.

Pretty solid deal, if you ask me.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, Desmuria said:

Each to their own, but there's no denying that Origins and Odyssey and, by the looks of things, Valhalla are Assassin's Creed games.

Although the RPG element is completely different to the previous installments in the franchise, that doesn't mean that they're no longer Assassin's Creed games.

The stories show the evolution of "The Hidden Ones" which eventually becomes the Assassin's Order and, obviously, the involvement of Abstergo links it all nicely together.

It is mostly a label now. You can disagree with me entirely on that, but a number of people can agree with this point. 

The only things that were Assassin’s Creed to me in Origins was The Hidden Ones, the hidden blade, and the Pieces of Eden. Bayek himself isn’t an Assassin until the end of the main story. Much of the game was him and his childhood friend and wife Amunet exacting revenge on the people who killed their son. Sort of a throwback to the story of Assassin’s Creed II. Ezio was wanting revenge on the Templar’s who killed his family. 

Then again, Black Flag wasn’t much of an Assassin’s Creed game either until the very end. The present day was the worst in Black Flag. You basically play a pirate plundering ships and getting into conflict with the Spanish, British and French. 

I, for one, don't agree with this. I really liked Desmond as a character and I enjoyed playing as him in the present day. I was really upset when they killed him off.

He was supposed to be an average person captured by Abstergo. We didn’t really know his ancestors until later on. The average person isn’t all that fascinating. 

I think we all were upset with his passing. Ubisoft basically just rushed through that ending and gave him piss poor treatment.

Desmond sounded too much like Nathan Drake. You can’t deny Nolan North’s distinctive voice. 

Once again, I don't agree. I cared about Lucy and I thought she was a great addition to the cast in the present day.

Ubisoft gave Lucy Stillman three Assassin’s Creed games to build up her character and story. 

Lucy didn’t get enough character development. You see more of Rebecca and Shaun, neither of which were all that interesting. 

This is exactly why people got bored of the franchise and forced Ubisoft's hand to make it more interesting.

As I said before, Ubisoft couldn't win either way. They could've pushed out another game with the same old mechanics and the same old story and people would've moaned.

This is why I firmly believe that they did the right thing by releasing the RPG-style games to freshen up and "reboot" the franchise.

You’re missing a few details. 

Ubisoft was cranking out Assassin’s Creed games like Activision cranks out Call of Duty every year. This is NOT a franchise that can support yearly releases because the lore and story would suffer. With Call of Duty they can release a big steaming pile of crap and it will still sell millions. You don’t need a story with Call of Duty, and most diehard fans couldn’t care less. 

We get Assassin’s Creed Liberation, which is probably the weakest in the series in terms of character development and story... and Assassin’s Creed Unity. Unity was hot garbage and even after the patches it’s just simply a boring game. Syndicate is sort of in the middle, not terrible but nothing great either. 

For Ubisoft, they had to change. Otherwise this series would of been dead like Prince of Persia.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is less of a RPG than Fallout 4. I would compare this more with games like Borderlands. There is only minimal features that suggest this is even remotely a RPG. 

Origins and Odyssey are best compared with God of War 2018, Marvel’s Spider-Man and Ghosts of Tsushima. They are open world games, as Assassin’s Creed always has been. 

You of course can disagree.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 4:14 AM, Spaz said:

It is mostly a label now. You can disagree with me entirely on that, but a number of people can agree with this point. 

Okaaaaay, so I'm going to put this from another perspective.

Broken Sword has fives games in the franchise. The Sleeping Dragon and The Angel of Death were a complete departure from the usual 2D point-and-click formula.

These games are wildly different from their predecessors and the latest installment. By your logic: are they still Broken Sword games, or were they just given the "label"?

I don't particularly like the third and fourth games, but I don't deny that they're Broken Sword games and are part of the franchise.

The same applies to Assassin's Creed.

Bayek himself isn’t an Assassin until the end of the main story.

We know. He's a medjay. They actually existed in Ancient Egypt and were an elite "police force", if you will.

It's the same with Alexios and Kassandra. They're misthois, or mercenaries. They assassinate people for money.

The reason why these characters are given the Assassin's Creed branding is because they are the direct ancestors of the people who created the Assassin Order.

Then again, Black Flag wasn’t much of an Assassin’s Creed game either until the very end.

I don't know how? It was the same old formula, with the same old controls and mechanics. You still get to do the whole stealth/assassinate gig.

It's just that it's set in the Caribbean, rather than a major city like the other games were. Assassin's Creed Rogue was very much the same with that.

I'm just struggling to know what your definition of an Assassin's Creed game actually is.

He was supposed to be an average person captured by Abstergo. We didn’t really know his ancestors until later on. The average person isn’t all that fascinating.

Okay, but we know there's something unique or special about him, or they wouldn't have captured him in the first place.

They didn't beat around the bush and kept us guessing. They were very forthcoming about the Animus and why Desmond was needed.

He initially goes into the Animus as an "average person", but the bleeding effect allows him to carry his skills into the present day. No longer "average" to me.

I think we all were upset with his passing. Ubisoft basically just rushed through that ending and gave him piss poor treatment.

Huzzah! Something we agree on.

Lucy didn’t get enough character development. You see more of Rebecca and Shaun, neither of which were all that interesting.

Slightly agree on this one. The thing is, they didn't spend enough time in the present day to actually build up her character anyway.

Yes, Rebecca and Shaun both got "screen time" but I don't think it was enough to distract from Lucy. I just feel that she wasn't given enough screen time, period.

Ubisoft was cranking out Assassin’s Creed games like Activision cranks out Call of Duty every year. This is NOT a franchise that can support yearly releases because the lore and story would suffer.

Ubisoft recognised this due to fan feedback, which is why they took a few years out and developed something completely different.

They knew that the fans were getting tired of the same old formula, so the "Ancient Trilogy" (Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla) are probably a break from that.

You never know, after the triology is over, they might release another game going back to the old way of playing.

We get Assassin’s Creed Liberation, which is probably the weakest in the series in terms of character development and story.

That's because Assassin's Creed Liberation was initially released on the PS Vita and then given a remaster last year for the PS4.

That's like saying one of the mobile Assassin's Creed games was weak compared to, say, Assassin's Creed II, or Brotherhood. You can't compare them fairly.

For Ubisoft, they had to change. Otherwise this series would of been dead like Prince of Persia.

Yes, they did. I just don't think the fanbase were expecting such a drastic change.

The Prince of Persia soft reboot wasn't even remotely successful, even though they completely changed the graphics for the fancy cell-shading.

However, Asssassin's Creed totally flipped everything and still came out on top. People are still playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

On PSNProfiles front page, I've seen Assassin's Creed Odyssey on the Popular Games This Week section for MONTHS with over 1K+ people playing, even to this day.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is less of a RPG than Fallout 4. I would compare this more with games like Borderlands.

Why on Earth would you compare Assassin's Creed Odyssey to Borderlands? Borderlands is an FPS...

Origins and Odyssey are best compared with God of War 2018, Marvel’s Spider-Man and Ghosts of Tsushima. They are open world games, as Assassin’s Creed always has been. 

Well, for starters, God of War is most definitely an action RPG game.

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably more comparable with Assassin's Creed Odyssey more than Spider-Man or God of War.

Also, if you look for details about Horizon Zero Dawn, they state that it's a "near-perfect action RPG", very much like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and God of War.

Open world games can also be RPGs.

NEW COMPLETED GAME

:platinum: #308 - Nicole

L86cab1.png

1L6f1584.png

Platinum Nicole
Get all other trophies.

UPDATE

Slowly working my way through my backlog, but it's a massive slog.

I find that I'm way more tempted by newer games coming out than I am on the ones I already own.

I need to refocus and make sure to have a healthy mix of newer and older titles, so I'm decreasing my backlog faster.

I'm going to be in hospital over the weekend, so I doubt I'll be trophy hunting again until next week.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Stay safe.

Edited by Desmuria

5 hours ago, Desmuria said:

Okay, so I'm going to put this from another perspective.

Broken Sword has fives games in the franchise. The Sleeping Dragon and The Angel of Death were a complete departure from the usual 2D point-and-click formula.

These games are wildly different from their predecessors and the latest installment. By your logic: are they still Broken Sword games, or were they just given the "label"?

I don't particularly like the third and fourth games, but I don't deny that they're Broken Sword games and are part of the franchise.

The same applies to Assassin's Creed.

What I’m trying to state is Ubisoft has gone through several overhauls with Assassins Creed to the point where a number of people don’t like the newer stuff, and vice versa. 

Dead Space 3 is part of the Dead Space franchise but it was just a lackluster experience compared to the first two games. I played it on the 360 and it was just disgusting how EA treated that franchise. 

Ubisoft hit a low point with Assassins Creed Unity. But they rebounded with Origins and since then the series has been going strong. 

I got a little concerned when you responded to me saying I treated Origins as a stand-alone game. The present day story is a joke, Layla is just annoying as a protagonist. 

I don't know how? It was the same old formula, with the same old controls and mechanics. You still get to do the whole stealth/assassinate gig.

It's just that it's set in the Caribbean, rather than a major city like the other games were. Assassin's Creed Rogue was very much the same with that.

I'm just struggling to know what your definition of an Assassin's Creed game actually is.

Black Flag was a departure from the rest of the series in that you are a pirate plundering ships and singing shanty songs on the Jackdaw. 

The game is enjoyable I must admit. Edward Kenway brought charm and personality while Adewale was the humble, loyal quartermaster. Much of what you do isn’t much ‘Assassins Creed’ at all. Connor in comparison was much more of an Assassin than Edward. 

Assassins Creed III brought the frontier and homestead, every game before was basically in a major city. 

Assassins Creed in my definition is the struggle between Assassin and Templar, between two sides vying for dominance who see the world in a completely different perspective. You see this with Connor and Haythem Kenway, both had radically different views in how they wanted to shape their world. The confrontation between Altair and Robert de Sable and later Al Mualim. Ezio and Rodrigo Borgia. The ever lasting conflict. 

Black Flag and Origins both have this conflict, but it doesn’t become obvious until much later. Odyssey is probably the furthest departure from this. It looks great, it’s epic, it’s huge, the Ancient Greek time period was amongst the most fascinating and gruesome periods in history. I don’t see too much that suggests that it follows what the rest of the series did. 

The present day has been more or less consistent with this, with the Templars much more often being referred to as Abstergo. But the story in that is just ass to me at this point, and I’d rather have them ditch that mess and just stick to ancient history, as this franchise has always done. 

You never know, after the triology is over, they might release another game going back to the old way of playing.

That would be like Sucker Punch going back to the inFamous 1 & 2 format. It will never happen. 

Nobody wants those collectibles that aren’t tracked anymore like the feathers. 

Yes, they did. I just don't think the fanbase were expecting such a drastic change.

The Prince of Persia soft reboot wasn't even remotely successful, even though they completely changed the graphics for the fancy cell-shading.

Prince of Persia was basically a linear franchise that in many ways was shallow. 

Neither Prince of Persia 2008 nor Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands were console sellers, even though I enjoyed Forgotten Sands and I feel it has a certain charm. Linear and straightforward. 

People don’t want that anymore. If they want to revive Prince of Persia, they will have to give it a lot more depth. Otherwise it will be a dead corpse like Duke Nukem.

Why on Earth would you compare Assassin's Creed Odyssey to Borderlands? Borderlands is an FPS...

Borderlands has a loot system that I feel is a little similar to the new Assassin’s Creed games. However there is a lot more RNG in Borderlands, whereas Origins and Odyssey have a fixed loot system.

Well, for starters, God of War is most definitely an action RPG game.

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably more comparable with Assassin's Creed Odyssey more than Spider-Man or God of War.

Also, if you look for details about Horizon Zero Dawn, they state that it's a "near-perfect action RPG", very much like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and God of War.

God of War is not an action RPG. I don’t care what people say. It is extremely shallow as a RPG. 

Dark Souls has far more depth and choice and it lives up to the genre, because it is an action RPG. Skyrim is a decent western action RPG, even with all the bugs and glitches it had. Fallout 4, while I don’t consider it to be too much of a RPG, has more choices and consequences for the player than neither God of War nor Horizon Zero Dawn. 

God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are both open world and have a lot more variety than either inFamous 1 or Assassin’s Creed 2 had. That doesn’t make them RPGs, let alone action RPGs. 

They were simplified and streamlined to attract a bigger audience. Both high quality games that are good, but I’m sorry they’re not action RPGs.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 1:49 AM, Spaz said:

What I’m trying to state is Ubisoft has gone through several overhauls with Assassins Creed to the point where a number of people don’t like the newer stuff, and vice versa.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally understand that. I just find it annoying that they say "They're no longer Assassin's Creed games" just because they don't agree with the changes.

Black Flag was a departure from the rest of the series in that you are a pirate plundering ships and singing shanty songs on the Jackdaw.

Okay, but you could also say that Rogue was a complete departure too, as Shay Cormac defects from the Assassin Order and becomes a Templar.

Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed Rogue and Assassin's Creed Odyssey also provide the player with their own ship, the Aquila, the Morrigan and the Adrestia, respectively.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey relies heavily on ship combat, whereas Assassin's Creed Origins doesn't have any whatsoever.

Black Flag and Origins both have this conflict, but it doesn’t become obvious until much later. Odyssey is probably the furthest departure from this.

You can't have an Assassin/Templar conflict if the Assassin Order and the Templars have not been formed yet.

In the database entry for "The Assassin Brotherhood" in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Rebecca Crane raises for the first time the question of the Assassin and Templars' respective names prior to their reformation in the 11th century when their current names were conceived. The next installment, Assassin's Creed Origins, addresses this by revealing that the Templars were known as the Order of the Ancients and the Assassins the Hidden Ones in the 1st century BCE.

As I said in my previous post:

On 28/07/2020 at 5:01 PM, Desmuria said:

Obviously, during the time that these games were set, the crusades hasn't begun and the Templar order had not yet been formed.

However, Assassin's Creed Odyssey offers up a Templar equivalent called The Cult of Kosmos who stir the war between Athens and Sparta.

The Cult of Kosmos is a brilliant substitute for the Templars or "the Order of the Ancients" in Odyssey. They stir the war between Athens and Sparta and generally cause chaos.

One of the storylines has Alexios/Kassandra take down the Cultists one-by-one, which eventually reveals who their leader is. No spoilers, but it's a cool reveal.

Although the earliest incarnation of the Templar order was found in Origins, the Cultists in Odyssey are definitely on the same level in terms of radicalisation.

The present day has been more or less consistent with this, with the Templars much more often being referred to as Abstergo. But the story in that is just ass to me at this point, and I’d rather have them ditch that mess and just stick to ancient history, as this franchise has always done. 

Abstergo Industries is just a front that the Templars use in the present day. It's not like they're going to call their company/conglomerate: 'Templars 'R' Us'.

If they completely ditch the present day storyline with the Assassins/Templars, it takes away the use of the Animus, locating the Pieces of Eden before Abstergo do.

If anything, the present day storyline is one of the main pieces that ties every single Assassin's Creed game together.

Nobody wants those collectibles that aren’t tracked anymore like the feathers.

I personally don't mind the collectibles like the feathers, almanac pages, shanties, etc.

Borderlands has a loot system that I feel is a little similar to the new Assassin’s Creed games. However there is a lot more RNG in Borderlands, whereas Origins and Odyssey have a fixed loot system.

You can't compare an action FPS with an open world action RPG based off a small thing like a similar loot system.

Also, you literally just said that Borderland's loot system is RNG, whereas Origins and Odyssey is fixed - so how are they similar in the slightest?

Borderlands and Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey are literally nothing alike.

God of War is not an action RPG. I don’t care what people say. It is extremely shallow as a RPG. 

Extremely shallow, maybe... but still has RPG elements.

God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are both open world and have a lot more variety than either inFamous 1 or Assassin’s Creed 2 had. That doesn’t make them RPGs, let alone action RPGs.

You can have open world action RPGs. Horizon Zero Dawn is extremely similar to Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey.

Horizon Zero Dawn is an action role-playing game developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Taken straight from HZD's Wikipedia page.

Also, the tags on Steam pretty much say the same thing. "Open World", "Adventure", "Action", "RPG":

unknown.png?width=304&height=412

NEW COMPLETED GAMES

:platinum: #309 - 112th Seed

L830a55.png

1L7b4284.png

Puzzle Master

Unlock all other trophies

:platinum: #310 - Evan's Remains

L188688.png

1L0016cc.png

Evan's Remains
Platinum

:platinum: #311 & :platinum: #312 - Iron Snout

Lcb4fec.png

1L00164a.png

Platinum Pig
Get all other trophies

:platinum: #313 - Family Mysteries: Poisonous Promises

Lee877f.png

1Lb7e735.png

Platinum
Unlock every Trophy.

UPDATE

The hospital visit went well and I'm now back on the grind for trophies.

I'm going to spend this weekend focusing solely on my backlog, so we'll see how far I get with that.

I'll update again on Sunday evening or Monday morning, depends on how lazy I am!

Edited by Desmuria

On 8/6/2020 at 0:53 AM, Desmuria said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally understand that. I just find it annoying that they say "They're no longer Assassin's Creed games" just because they don't agree with the changes.

The problem is when a series goes on for too long then it becomes difficult to keep a fanbase all agreeing with each other without arguing over differences.

Sonic the Hedgehog is the first franchise that pops in my mind when I think of this. I'm a huge old school Sonic fan, love the comic book series (both Archie and Sonic the Comic), the American Sonic cartoon shows, the one anime film and the fanfiction. But Sonic Team decided back in the 2000s they were going to change up a bunch of shit including having Shadow the Hedgehog become more prominent as well as introduce new ideas that ended up failing. Ever since Sonic 2006 the franchise has barely been above water, it's gone through a great deal of changes and most of everyone agrees it's a hollow shell of what it used to be. I gave up on Sonic a long time ago, nothing Sonic Team makes anymore even remotely holds my interests.

Call of Duty is a franchise that has been burnt out with the annual releases. For me personally, the original Modern Warfare, World at War and Modern Warfare 2 were the high point of Call of Duty. Since Black Ops 2 and Ghosts the series has been a shit show, with some games being better than others.

Assassin's Creed was made an annual series from 2009 to 2015, a period of six years with a whole bunch of games ranging from good to slightly above mediocre. You prefer the modern Assassin's Creed, I prefer the old Assassin's Creed. Origins I ended up enjoying, but slapping the Assassin's Creed label on it bothered me. With some changes Ubisoft easily could of made Origins the start of a new IP, with Odyssey and Valhalla continuing where it left off.

Okay, but you could also say that Rogue was a complete departure too, as Shay Cormac defects from the Assassin Order and becomes a Templar.

Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed Rogue and Assassin's Creed Odyssey also provide the player with their own ship, the Aquila, the Morrigan and the Adrestia, respectively.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey relies heavily on ship combat, whereas Assassin's Creed Origins doesn't have any whatsoever.

Truthfully Assassins Creed III was the first big departure. Every game before took place in a major city, in a rare few instances you were outside doing missions. Assassin's Creed II has those small towns in-between Florence and Venice but I wouldn't qualify that as being a big countryside. In III they threw in a frontier and homestead, the cities of Boston and New York were not majestic like Rome or Constantinople. The landmarks weren't as grand in III and you had a protagonist who was quite different from Ezio. 

Black Flag built on the ship naval combat system from III and in Rogue they added a couple new features (such as breaking icebergs) to keep the high seas fun. Shay, while not having as much personality as Edward, becomes a key person as he kills off Adewale and murders the father of Arno Dorian in France, which starts off the story of Assassin's Creed Unity.

You have more control in Odyssey. Ship combat in Origins was only in story missions when you were playing as Aya. There were no ship battles in free roam.

You can have open world action RPGs. Horizon Zero Dawn is extremely similar to Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey.

Horizon Zero Dawn is an action role-playing game developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Taken straight from HZD's Wikipedia page.

Also, the tags on Steam pretty much say the same thing. "Open World", "Adventure", "Action", "RPG":

Horizon Zero Dawn is an extremely shallow action RPG at best, same with God of War 2018.

There is virtually little to no risk in either of these games if you know how to play them. Sure you can set the difficulty up to a higher level so the games become more challenging, but hardly anybody was doing that as they were playing on the easiest setting.

Dark Souls and the Soulsborne games have risk. The games are always addicting because you are always learning as you're playing and a common enemy can send you to your death if you make a big mistake. There are also many traps and curve balls which mean you can't just go in guns blazing. This in turn limits the idiot players from the smarter players who have more patience.

When I was playing Horizon and God of War 2018 on Medium difficulty I was literally mowing through enemies. Neither of these games offer any serious challenge and much of the gameplay was rather generic. God of War 2018 has terrible enemy variety as I was encountering the same floating eyeballs and trolls during every hour of the story. Kratos son helps out while Kratos himself takes down the enemies in glorious cinematic fashion. Only a couple enemy encounters such as the Queen Valkyrie were interesting. That isn't an action RPG in my book.

Horizon Zero Dawn has better enemy variety but that game is better classified as an open world adventure, not an open world action RPG. If it wanted to be a true action RPG it should of borrowed more elements from Dark Souls and Bloodborne. The Shield Weaver outfit in Horizon makes New Game Plus a joke. Marvel's Spider-Man pulled the same crap for it's version of New Game Plus. Both tacked on modes that were simply boring and poorly designed. In Dark Souls, New Game Plus actually makes sense.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4 are proper western action RPGs, both open world. Horizon and God of War 2018 are both open world adventure games. I just cannot agree with them being action RPGs. They are far too shallow and they were made to be streamlined so they would cater to the broadest audience.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

Assassin's Creed was made an annual series from 2009 to 2015, a period of six years with a whole bunch of games ranging from good to slightly above mediocre. You prefer the modern Assassin's Creed, I prefer the old Assassin's Creed. Origins I ended up enjoying, but slapping the Assassin's Creed label on it bothered me. With some changes Ubisoft easily could of made Origins the start of a new IP, with Odyssey and Valhalla continuing where it left off.

I never said I prefer the new Assassin's Creed. My favourite games in the franchise are, and probably forever will be, Assassin's Creed II and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

I loved Assassin's Creed Odyssey, probably more than Origins. Origins is still a great game, though. 

What I'm saying is: it bothers me that people say that the new RPG-style Assassin's Creed games aren't Assassin's Creed games whatsoever.

I don't agree that Origins and Odyssey should've been an entirely new IP, just because of the change of format/mechanics.

As I said before, the Pieces of Eden are included in the games, the earliest formation of the Templar Order is present, they're literally the ancestors of the other assassins.

In Odyssey's DLC, you actually see a cutscene of Alexios/Kassandra's child growing up, having children and grandchildren, until Bayek is born.

Also, as previously mentioned, they've kept the modern day stuff present in the games to tie everything together nicely.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

In III they threw in a frontier and homestead, the cities of Boston and New York were not majestic like Rome or Constantinople. The landmarks weren't as grand in III and you had a protagonist who was quite different from Ezio. 

Well, that's because it was set when America was still developing. Unlike cities in Europe, America doesn't have the timeless history that they have, with old buildings, etc.

That doesn't mean Assassin's Creed III wasn't any good. They knew that New York and Boston would be lacklustre in comparison, hence the inclusion of the Frontier.

With regard to Connor, he's obviously got nothing on Ezio. Ezio was an Italian womaniser who was thrust into manhood after his father and brother were killed.

Connor, on the other hand, is the bastard child of Haytham who just so happens to be a Templar. He still had the same struggle with his identity as Ezio did, in a way.

The only (rather annoying) difference is: we saw Ezio develop as a character, whereas Connor never truly grew up. He's whiney and petulant right until the end of the game.

Then again, Ezio had three games under his belt, which felt like a significant amount of time to watch his character bloom. Connor's singular outing didn't help his development.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

Horizon Zero Dawn is an extremely shallow action RPG at best, same with God of War 2018.

There's stuff all over the Internet that links these two games as being action RPGs. We're never going to agree on this, so let's agree to disagree.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

There is virtually little to no risk in either of these games if you know how to play them. Sure you can set the difficulty up to a higher level so the games become more challenging, but hardly anybody was doing that as they were playing on the easiest setting.

Dark Souls and the Soulsborne games have risk. The games are always addicting because you are always learning as you're playing and a common enemy can send you to your death if you make a big mistake. There are also many traps and curve balls which mean you can't just go in guns blazing. This in turn limits the idiot players from the smarter players who have more patience.

When I was playing Horizon and God of War 2018 on Medium difficulty I was literally mowing through enemies. Neither of these games offer any serious challenge and much of the gameplay was rather generic. God of War 2018 has terrible enemy variety as I was encountering the same floating eyeballs and trolls during every hour of the story. Kratos son helps out while Kratos himself takes down the enemies in glorious cinematic fashion. Only a couple enemy encounters such as the Queen Valkyrie were interesting. That isn't an action RPG in my book.

Horizon Zero Dawn has better enemy variety but that game is better classified as an open world adventure, not an open world action RPG. If it wanted to be a true action RPG it should of borrowed more elements from Dark Souls and Bloodborne. The Shield Weaver outfit in Horizon makes New Game Plus a joke. Marvel's Spider-Man pulled the same crap for it's version of New Game Plus. Both tacked on modes that were simply boring and poorly designed. In Dark Souls, New Game Plus actually makes sense.

The term "Action RPG" has nothing to do with risk, difficulty or enemy variety.

ARPG or Action Role Playing Game, is a genre that takes everything you love from the traditional RPG spectrum and throws in some extra action to the mix. Compared to JRPG, which is a Japanese Role Playing Game and focuses typically on a linear approach, action style RPGs tend to provide more freedom to the player and allows you to venture around solving objectives in your own way. Action RPGs still come with all the kinks in your conventional RPG, such as being able to level up your main character and perhaps other supporting ones as well, but you now have other perks such as being able to ride around in a vehicle and discover new parts of the map never before seen, or simply being immersed in real time action events. You’re essentially more in control this time around, where battles aren’t turn based and takes inspiration from hack and slack titles along with action adventure titles. Action RPGs are starting to become the norm these days since more and more players have shifted their attention to the open world perks, along with menu based combat.

Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Assassin's Creed all have a levelling system, all have freedom when it comes to combat and all have free-roam.

Also, ARPGs generally include the environment into any puzzle-solving, which all three of these games do.

Edited by Desmuria
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Desmuria said:

I never said I prefer the new Assassin's Creed. My favourite games in the franchise are, and probably forever will be, Assassin's Creed II and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

I loved Assassin's Creed Odyssey, probably more than Origins. Origins is still a great game, though. 

What I'm saying is: it bothers me that people say that the new RPG-style Assassin's Creed games aren't Assassin's Creed games whatsoever.

I don't agree that Origins and Odyssey should've been an entirely new IP, just because of the change of format/mechanics.

As I said before, the Pieces of Eden are included in the games, the earliest formation of the Templar Order is present, they're literally the ancestors of the other assassins.

In Odyssey's DLC, you actually see a cutscene of Alexios/Kassandra's child growing up, having children and grandchildren, until Bayek is born.

Also, as previously mentioned, they've kept the modern day stuff present in the games to tie everything together nicely.

The issue I'm sort of having is you keep saying you are bothered with people saying the RPG style of Origins and Odyssey aren't Assassin's Creed. There is a lot more than just the RPG elements that had me thinking this isn't so much Assassin's Creed as they could of been.

So what I'm gathering is the reason we have these mythological creatures in Odyssey is because of the Pieces of Eden. Granted, the ending of Assassin's Creed II had us all shaking our heads because it was our first encounter with the Isu. Minerva and the others were sort of out there compared to everything else. Rodrigo Borgia and the Staff of Eden seemed rather normal in comparison.

At first that just sounds more like something that would belong in a God of War game.

Well, that's because it was set when America was still developing. Unlike cities in Europe, America doesn't have the timeless history that they have, with old buildings, etc.

That doesn't mean Assassin's Creed III wasn't any good. They knew that New York and Boston would be lacklustre in comparison, hence the inclusion of the Frontier.

With regard to Connor, he's obviously got nothing on Ezio. Ezio was an Italian womaniser who was thrust into manhood after his father and brother were killed.

Connor, on the other hand, is the bastard child of Haytham who just so happens to be a Templar. He still had the same struggle with his identity as Ezio did, in a way.

The only (rather annoying) difference is: we saw Ezio develop as a character, whereas Connor never truly grew up. He's whiney and petulant right until the end of the game.

Then again, Ezio had three games under his belt, which felt like a significant amount of time to watch his character bloom. Connor's singular outing didn't help his development.

America is still relatively young compared to Europe as a whole, so you can't really compare the grand scale of Rome and Constantinople with Boston and New York. I simply said Assassin's Creed III marked the departure from what the previous games had set. 

Connor I would put above Arno, but both characters were poor at best. Arno is perhaps the worst protagonist in the franchise. He loses his father as a child, but never truly matured to where he could of been a responsible Assassin. He breaks off from the Assassin Order and becomes drunk. Then he tries to form a relationship with his childhood friend Elise who is a Templar, who ends up dying anyway. A bit of potential in the Assassin's Creed Unity story, but largely wasted.

Evie Frye in ways I liked more than Aya. She was understanding and had discipline, dedicated in her quest to find a Piece of Eden. Jacob Frye in contrast is brash, immature and out of his head. I still don't know why Ubisoft had to throw in the Rooks in there. That game aspect in Syndicate felt completely tacked on.

There's stuff all over the Internet that links these two games as being action RPGs. We're never going to agree on this, so let's agree to disagree.

They are open world adventure games. The fact they are linked as action RPGs just tells me video games have become a lot more streamlined and simplified for a dumbed down audience.

There are many action RPGs I have played in my lifetime that would put Horizon and God of War to shame.

The term "Action RPG" has nothing to do with risk, difficulty or enemy variety.

ARPG or Action Role Playing Game, is a genre that takes everything you love from the traditional RPG spectrum and throws in some extra action to the mix. Compared to JRPG, which is a Japanese Role Playing Game and focuses typically on a linear approach, action style RPGs tend to provide more freedom to the player and allows you to venture around solving objectives in your own way. Action RPGs still come with all the kinks in your conventional RPG, such as being able to level up your main character and perhaps other supporting ones as well, but you now have other perks such as being able to ride around in a vehicle and discover new parts of the map never before seen, or simply being immersed in real time action events. You’re essentially more in control this time around, where battles aren’t turn based and takes inspiration from hack and slack titles along with action adventure titles. Action RPGs are starting to become the norm these days since more and more players have shifted their attention to the open world perks, along with menu based combat.

Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Assassin's Creed all have a levelling system, all have freedom when it comes to combat and all have free-roam.

Also, ARPGs generally include the environment into any puzzle-solving, which all three of these games do.

I never directly said "Action RPG" has to do with risk, difficulty or enemy variety.

The definition of action RPG right there is what Horizon and God of War 2018 are not. I might as well put Ghosts of Tsushima as an action RPG even if it's an overly simplified RPG with a cookie cutter trophy list.

Dark Souls is an action RPG. Horizon and God of War 2018 are a complete joke. You are not allowed the freedom in Horizon as you get in Dark Souls. You should be allowed to create your own character from scratch. Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4 all give you this option. The ability to make a character as you see fit should be an option for many RPGs. In God of War 2018 you continue the story of Kratos, and find he has a son and a deceased wife. The story is the strongest aspect of the game... but it's RPG elements are poor at best.

This is like taking what made The Last of Us great, making it open world with some stat modifiers and calling it an action RPG. That is complete bullshit.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gives you a lot more choices than either Horizon or God of War, because that was designed to be a RPG from the ground up. Combat wise the game is not that great, but your choices matter for virtually everything. That is what a RPG should be.

You haven't done a single Soulsborne game on your trophy list. You also haven't done The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and haven't even played Fallout 4. To me it doesn't look like you enjoy any challenge, but instead you play purely for the enjoyment. That's fine. How I play my games is a lot different from how you play. But today's definition of action RPG is simply dumbed down, like a bunch of kids nowadays who never played action RPGs in the past are now calling stuff like Horizon and God of War action RPGs. They are shallow, because there really isn't a whole lot of depth and choices.

If I sounded too harsh, then I'm sorry. It's just I'm a bit irritated with today's definition of action RPG.

Edited by Spaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2020 at 3:50 PM, Spaz said:

The issue I'm sort of having is you keep saying you are bothered with people saying the RPG style of Origins and Odyssey aren't Assassin's Creed. There is a lot more than just the RPG elements that had me thinking this isn't so much Assassin's Creed as they could of been.

I only say that because it's Origins and Odyssey (the RPG-style games) that people are targeting and saying they're not part of the Assassin's Creed franchise.

I didn't say that it's purely because of the way that they play. Obviously, due to the fact that they're set way before the Templar Order is formed is an issue for some people.

If there's no Assassin/Templar feud, then people don't think it's a proper Assassin's Creed game, but they can't have proper Templars if the Order doesn't exist in that time period.

So what I'm gathering is the reason we have these mythological creatures in Odyssey is because of the Pieces of Eden. Granted, the ending of Assassin's Creed II had us all shaking our heads because it was our first encounter with the Isu. Minerva and the others were sort of out there compared to everything else. Rodrigo Borgia and the Staff of Eden seemed rather normal in comparison. At first that just sounds more like something that would belong in a God of War game

The Isu and the mythological creatures aren't much different when on the WTF-scale. When I first saw the Isu in the original Assassin's Creed games, I was excited.

Assassin's Creed was never going to be a mundane, solely 'human' experience because of how the storyline unfolded with the Isu, so why not throw in some more cool stuff?

It really doesn't bother me that Medusa or the Minotaur appeared in the game. They were myths that people truly believed in at the time, they wrote stories about these creatures.

Why not have them exist in a world that isn't exactly parallel with our own?

America is still relatively young compared to Europe as a whole, so you can't really compare the grand scale of Rome and Constantinople with Boston and New York. I simply said Assassin's Creed III marked the departure from what the previous games had set.

That's exactly what I said, regarding America vs Europe:

On 08/08/2020 at 7:12 AM, Desmuria said:

I don't see Assassin's Creed III as a complete departure. You were still going around cities, scaling buildings, finding collectibles, etc.

The Frontier was a new addition, sure. It never felt out of place, though. It just goes with the territory of the setting, especially with Connor growing up within a Tribe.

The Homestead feature was just an upgraded version of you improving Monteriggioni in Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood.

Jacob Frye in contrast is brash, immature and out of his head. I still don't know why Ubisoft had to throw in the Rooks in there. That game aspect in Syndicate felt completely tacked on.

The Rooks were reminiscent of British gangs back in the day, kind of like Peaky Blinders. Plus, it also lends a hand to the whole recruitment system introduced in Brotherhood.

As a Brit, I totally understood where they were going with the Rooks and how gang crime was part of day-to-day life, especially when the divide between rich and poor was so apparent.

They are open world adventure games. The fact they are linked as action RPGs just tells me video games have become a lot more streamlined and simplified for a dumbed down audience.

There are many action RPGs I have played in my lifetime that would put Horizon and God of War to shame.

As I said, let's just agree to disagree on this because we're only going to go in circles.

You haven't done a single Soulsborne game on your trophy list. You also haven't done The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and haven't even played Fallout 4. To me it doesn't look like you enjoy any challenge, but instead you play purely for the enjoyment. That's fine. How I play my games is a lot different from how you play.

Or rather, maybe they're not games that I'm interested in playing? I actually own The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It's on my trophy backlog, you can go look.

Soulsborne games do not interest me in the slightest because I've seen Twitch streamers play them far too much for me to enjoy them personally.

Also, the Fallout games are, frankly, rather boring to me. I don't like the aesthetic and I'm not a fan of the post-apocalyptic environments.

Just because I haven't played these games, doesn't mean I don't 'enjoy a challenge'.

If I sounded too harsh, then I'm sorry.

I'll be totally honest: you come across rather arrogant. If people don't play like you play, then you're better than them and their opinion isn't validated? Get out.

NEW COMPLETED GAMES

:platinum: #314 - Memory Lane

Lc712db.png

1L4337cf.png

Pineal Gland Opening
All Seeing and all hearing...

:platinum: #315 - Cat Quest II

L28940a.png

1L39b52e.png

Pawlatinum
You are pawsome!

:platinum: #316 - Oxenfree

L2787b1.png

1Ldbd696.png

Leave Possible?
Collect all trophies.

UPDATE

Finally got 'round to getting Cat Quest II and Oxenfree out of my backlog.

Admittedly, I've had Oxenfree in there a lot longer than necessary, considering its difficulty level (2/10).

Oxenfree is definitely a game I'd recommend if you don't mind doing numerous playthroughs.

The story is driven by the choices you make and even the slightest comment can shift the dynamic in your friendship group.

It's fascinating stuff and truly an awesome game. The twist at the end left me feeling really hollow inside.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

<3

Edited by Desmuria
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:31 PM, Desmuria said:

I only say that because it's Origins and Odyssey (the RPG-style games) that people are targeting and saying they're not part of the Assassin's Creed franchise.

I didn't say that it's purely because of the way that they play. Obviously, due to the fact that they're set way before the Templar Order is formed is an issue for some people.

If there's no Assassin/Templar feud, then people don't think it's a proper Assassin's Creed game, but they can't have proper Templars if the Order doesn't exist in that time period.

So what you're saying is the Hidden Ones and the Order of the Ancients aren't all too much different from the Assassin/Templar conflict which came much later. Makes a lot of sense.

I will give Ubisoft credit for taking a risk with Origins because the franchise was in dire need of a reboot. Mostly because the franchise was using the same formulas over and over.... and the franchise was releasing games every year, which isn't the best option for Assassin's Creed.

When you commented a response to when I said I treated Origins as a lone wolf separate from the rest of the series, that's when I got off on you. I just got more enjoyment out of the game thinking of it as such.

I don't see Assassin's Creed III as a complete departure. You were still going around cities, scaling buildings, finding collectibles, etc.

The Frontier was a new addition, sure. It never felt out of place, though. It just goes with the territory of the setting, especially with Connor growing up within a Tribe.

The Homestead feature was just an upgraded version of you improving Monteriggioni in Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood.

The Homestead was poorly designed. Having to record each NPC's activity at least 2 - 3 times is just stupid. In the older Assassin's Creed games I just renovated buildings and had NPCs go about various tasks. It didn't need to be anything more than that.

The Assassin's Creed III interface was terrible. Made sending my Assassins out to do various jobs a chore. Don't even get me started on looking for underground entrances in Boston & New York, and having to 'lawnmower' chunks of unexplored land because Ubisoft was too lazy to add more vantage points in the game.

As I said, let's just agree to disagree on this because we're only going to go in circles.

I will just take what someone else said:

"RPGs are all about choice and consequence, that is the essence of it. I choose this weapon and because of it I am able to do X and unable to do Y; I do this quests this way and it rewarded me with something useless or even bad for my game that will screw my progression/character for a time; I have to choose my items and my skills carefully to build my character the way I want to play always giving up on something for something else; the game reacts to my choices for good or for bad in a small or big scale.

Sony idea of nothing is missable and you can do everything in the game with only 1 character automatically makes their games a non-RPG, plus in all their games you are just a spectator, you cant influence anything that is happening, so how can you "role play" something that you have no control over? Their games are very much separated between the story and the game, you watch the story and play the game while RPG go more towards "you play the story"."

You are spectating Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn. You are spectating Peter Parker in Marvel's Spider-Man. You are spectating Kratos in God of War.

Those are not RPGs. This is the last time I will make this point to you, since we've already beaten this into the ground. Agree to disagree.

Or rather, maybe they're not games that I'm interested in playing? I actually own The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It's on my trophy backlog, you can go look.

Soulsborne games do not interest me in the slightest because I've seen Twitch streamers play them far too much for me to enjoy them personally.

Also, the Fallout games are, frankly, rather boring to me. I don't like the aesthetic and I'm not a fan of the post-apocalyptic environments.

Just because I haven't played these games, doesn't mean I don't 'enjoy a challenge'.

There is NOTHING on your list that even suggests you 'enjoy a challenge'.

Most of your trophy list consists of stacks people can easily do in 30 - 60 minutes. Stuff that requires a little bit of effort like Beyond Two Souls and Bully are unfinished. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls which is an actual RPG isn't finished either. Not even God of War 2018, and that is relatively easy if you play on the easiest difficulty setting.

If you can do all of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt then that is an accomplishment, because it generally takes over 100 hours to finish and both DLC story packs have a lot of content on their own. The Soulsborne games are probably too difficult, and Fallout you can take or leave.

Too much 1 out of 10 stuff. I don't see you enjoy a challenge, because if you did you would already have a few harder games on the list.

I'll be totally honest: you come across rather arrogant. If people don't play like you play, then you're better than them and their opinion isn't validated? Get out.

I may just as well. I won't post in this thread any longer. Good day.

Edited by Spaz

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

So what you're saying is the Hidden Ones and the Order of the Ancients aren't all too much different from the Assassin/Templar conflict which came much later. Makes a lot of sense.

If you go back over my previous posts, I've been making this point for weeks. I'm just glad it finally makes sense to you now.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I will give Ubisoft credit for taking a risk with Origins because the franchise was in dire need of a reboot. Mostly because the franchise was using the same formulas over and over.... and the franchise was releasing games every year, which isn't the best option for Assassin's Creed.

As I said previously, Ubisoft knew they needed to break the cycle when it came to yearly releases of the 'same game', just re-skinned and improved slightly.

Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla were an excellent way to experiment with the formula of the game due to their time setting and separation from the other stories.

Let's just say that Ubisoft created an RPG-style Assassin's Creed game set in Europe, rather than going back to BCE, people would've lost their minds and not in a good way.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

When you commented a response to when I said I treated Origins as a lone wolf separate from the rest of the series, that's when I got off on you. I just got more enjoyment out of the game thinking of it as such.

This was my reply to you when you said you treat Assassin's Creed Origins as a stand-alone game:

On 28/07/2020 at 5:01 PM, Desmuria said:

Not sure where in my reply I attacked you for having that opinion, especially when I literally started out by saying, 'each to their own'.

I was expressing my own opinion, which is a lot different to yours. Just because you don't agree, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

The Homestead was poorly designed. Having to record each NPC's activity at least 2 - 3 times is just stupid. In the older Assassin's Creed games I just renovated buildings and had NPCs go about various tasks. It didn't need to be anything more than that.

Yeah, but this only applies if you're going for 100% completion and, more specifically, going for the Encyclopedia of the Common Man trophy.

If you ignore the recording of activities, the Homestead is rather fun to put together. Completing side quests and helping people out to recruit them.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

The Assassin's Creed III interface was terrible. Made sending my Assassins out to do various jobs a chore. Don't even get me started on looking for underground entrances in Boston & New York, and having to 'lawnmower' chunks of unexplored land because Ubisoft was too lazy to add more vantage points in the game.

I agree that the underground sections were boring and the UI confused me at first, especially the trading/buying thing.

However, this doesn't equate to the game being a departure from the series. I don't think it was a departure at all, just an expansion of the foundations laid by the Ezio collection.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

RPGs are all about choice and consequence, that is the essence of it. I choose this weapon and because of it I am able to do X and unable to do Y; I do this quests this way and it rewarded me with something useless or even bad for my game that will screw my progression/character for a time; I have to choose my items and my skills carefully to build my character the way I want to play always giving up on something for something else; the game reacts to my choices for good or for bad in a small or big scale.

This is more of a definition of tabletop games, rather than video games.

If you compare that definition to Horizon Zero Dawn, for example:

Aloy has branching dialogue, which means you can make choices and experience consequences based on your actions and how you treat people.

If you don't befriend everyone in the game, they won't join you for the final battle, which puts your numbers at an immediate disadvantage.

You can swap your weapons around, as some machines are more vulnerable to some elements than others, making the fights unique and challenging if you don't exploit weaknesses.

Horizon Zero Dawn has a skill tree, which you have to pick and choose to unlock skills early in the game, building Aloy to your own specifications based on how you play.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Sony idea of nothing is missable and you can do everything in the game with only 1 character automatically makes their games a non-RPG, plus in all their games you are just a spectator, you cant influence anything that is happening, so how can you "role play" something that you have no control over? Their games are very much separated between the story and the game, you watch the story and play the game while RPG go more towards "you play the story".

You play Fallout 4 from start to finish with one character, so does that make it a non-RPG?

You can play Diablo III: Reaper of Souls from start to finish without changing character class, does that make it a non-RPG?

Also, talking about Diablo, it's the most linear game ever. You dungeon crawl from one mission to the other until you defeat the final boss. How do you influence that? You don't.

Your definition of an RPG is actually incorrect if you believe that Fallout 4 and Diablo are RPGs, don't you think?

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Most of your trophy list consists of stacks people can easily do in 30 - 60 minutes.

People can play these types of games and still be up for a challenge, though? Just because I play the Ratalaika Games, doesn't mean I'm not into other games.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Stuff that requires a little bit of effort like Beyond Two Souls and Bully are unfinished. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls which is an actual RPG isn't finished either. Not even God of War 2018, and that is relatively easy if you play on the easiest difficulty setting.

If you actually look at my trophies for Beyond Two Souls and Diablo III, they're actually finished in terms of completing the game.

Just because I don't have the platinum, doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the challenge. The whole point for making this backlog is to encourage me to go back and complete games.

I haven't completely abandoned Beyond Two Souls, God of War or Diablo III. They're just on the back burner for now.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Too much 1 out of 10 stuff. I don't see you enjoy a challenge, because if you did you would already have a few harder games on the list.

'Harder' games are subjective, from person to person. I have a friend who's currently playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and she's finding it extremely tough going.

Just because I don't have a Soulsborne game on my list, doesn't make me a pussy. It makes me someone who doesn't want to play a Soulsborne game. Simple.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I may just as well. I won't post in this thread any longer. Good day.

You're welcome to reply, but I won't tolerate being spoken down to just because you think you're better than me.

Edited by Desmuria

I completed some more 1 out of 10 games this weekend, because I wasn't up for a challenge...

Unfortunately, none of these games were from my backlog.

I'm like a magpie. I see new games and I buy new shinies, rather than playing stuff I already have.

I will change that.

I have to.

NEW COMPLETED GAMES

:platinum: #317 - Even The Ocean

L33db52.png

1L5061b4.png

Beyond The Ocean
Get all other trophies.

:platinum: #318 - Of Tanks and Demons III

L8eee06.png

1L8b9c9c.png

Platinum future
Сollect all trophies

:platinum: #319 - Darkestville Castle

L194f35.png

1L8b3af1.png

Darkestville Demon
Keep the key to the castle.

THOUGHTS

I'd been looking forward to playing Darkestville Castle for a while now as it's very reminiscent of the old classic point-and-click games.

I did enjoy it, but I felt that it tried way too hard to be like Monkey Island. In the same vein that Deponia tried too hard.

They even make reference to The Curse of Monkey Island in Darkestville Castle.

One of the characters wishes Cid luck finding the uncursed diamond ring. I won't lie, it did make me giggle a bit.

There was an awful lot of back and forth between scenes and some of the dialogue rambled on a little too much.

All-in-all, an enjoyable experience. If you're a point-and-click fan, this one should definitely be on your radar.

UPDATE

Not exactly been very active on PS4 lately because I caught the Summer flu, so I've spent a lot of my time watching Netflix instead.

Glad to say that I'm on the mend and I'm going to try and chip away at a few games this week, we'll see what happens.

Plus, my co-op partner and I are working on getting the Dead Island platinum together (which is a 5/10 difficulty - shocker!)

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend and hope you're all keeping safe out there.

<3

Edited by Desmuria

NEW COMPLETED GAMES

:platinum: #320 - Hidden Through Time

spacer.pngL1931c0.png

1Lcda0a8.png

Hidden Expert!
Found all Hidden Through time trophies

:platinum: #321 & :platinum: #322 - Alphaset by POWGI

L722e90.png

1Lc557a8.png

Alpha Dog
Collect all the trophies

:platinum: #323 & :platinum: #324 - Crypto by POWGI

L39b249.png

1L8ca6ee.png

Code Dependent
Collect all the trophies

:platinum: #325 - A HERO AND A GARDEN

Lface2c.png

1Lf4e656.png

A HERO AND A GARDENER
Unlock all other A HERO AND A GARDEN trophies.

UPDATE

My plans to demolish some of my backlog were ruined when the PS Store announced the 'Hidden Gems' sale.

Obviously, I bought all the "1 out of 10 games" I could afford and I'm now adding to my backlog, rather than decreasing it.

I also made a massive dent in Dead Island: Definitive Edition with by gaming buddy.

This week, I aim to clear out a few of the PS Vita stack games because they're bugging me.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend and I wish you a happy Monday.

(I'm really chipper today because it's a Bank Holiday here, so I have a whole day of gaming ahead of me).

<3

@Desmuria Congrats on the recent plats, hope the Bank Holiday was a good one for you!

I've seen Spaz around the forums a lot, and he comes across pretty arrogant in a lot of threads to be honest, so I wouldn't take what he says to heart. Nothing wrong with playing Rata games and still enjoying other stuff as well. 

I'd also like to note that most people don't play games for challenge anyway, I play to have something to chill out with when I've finished a long shift at work, and because it's FUN. Seems to be something a lot of people around here can't wrap their heads around. You keep doing you and getting the plats you want, nothing wrong with that!

PS. I have fully 100% Witcher 3 myself, and it isn't really hard at all. Time consuming? Sure. But a 'challenge'? Not really.

• Like 1