Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Ghost

24 minutes ago, TheUntold_Truth said:

How can you give a game 6/10 but not explain why. A one sentence explantion is not enough to warrant any creditability for a review. I find it extremely unprofessional for vg247 to have such a lazy review. Seems like they didn't even play the game at all. They need to set up a criteria were reviwers are forced to have a min of 300 words explaning their reviews, if not their reviews are blocked and not count.

Well it is a 3/5 not 6/10. They do have a full review of the game.

2 hours ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

i laughed at gamespot.... a negative because you can't cut down a bamboo tree? wow...

im excited for it though.

Wonder how long it will be, 30hr? 50?

"Based on our playtime, it can take roughly 20 hours to complete Ghost of Tsushima if you're focusing strictly on clearing the main storyline. Completists can tack a few more hours onto that runtime as the game also features a number of side missions and other activities to do, so it can take you upwards of 30 hours or more to finish the title if you're dedicated to seeing all there is."

GameSpot

EDIT: I've seen some people say around 40 hours so I would stick with that one personally. I'm definitely going to get side tracked with Photo Mode as I've done in the past with games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spider-Man

In an interview with Brazilian outlet Voxel, Creative Director Nate Fox revealed that 100 percent completionists can expect a game in the range of 40 to 50 hours.

Edited by Ghost

What is incredible to me is how Akira Kurosawa’s films have inspired so many other works during the past 40 years.  Star Wars was a complete rip off of Kurosawa’s “The Hidden Fortress”, from the plot, dialog and characters.  “Seven Samurai” inspiring the American Western, ”The Magnificent Seven,” et al.  If you know the story of Kurosawa and how the powers that be in Japanese cinema told this master artist that he was no longer a viable filmmaker, leading to his attempt at suicide, I truly hope that  “Ghosts of Tsushima” will inspire all of us in the gaming community to explore the films of this legendary filmmaker.

Edited by jpmelville
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

Wonder how long it will be, 30hr? 50?

Skill-Up said in his review it's 25-30 hours to complete the main campaign, mileage varying to 35 if you take in all the side quests. If you want to clear every marker on the map 45 hours, and if you're looking to find every collectible and 100% the game around 60 hours.

Edited by EIdain
  • Like 1

unknown.png

Doubt. But okay. I like how they had to add in "fascinating", as if they are forced to slight Ghost's other competition for best visually impressive PS4 game.

Anyway, it looks like everything I could hope and expect from a samurai game. Looking forward to it.

Before the reviews came in, my concern was with the gameplay, I felt that in all the previews we saw, they never really focused on the gameplay, I don't think I ever saw the UI, and I was worried it will be another game that is cinematic, stylistic but the gameplay will be just serviceable. Still, even in the gamespot review, that gave it a 7 out of 10, they praise the combat, so that is good.

Since as expected many are so focused on the scores, the reviews from sites that don't use them, like Polygon and Kotaku, don't seem to be that positive also. Then again, it's not like we have not seen reviews of games that list plenty of negatives and complains, and then hit us with a 9 out of 10 lol

Anyway, I will wait until I watch a stream or two before I decide when I will give this one a try, my backlog already contains plenty open world games.

2 hours ago, Golem25 said:

We leave this 'journalist' to huff his own farts while we check what is happening over at Famitsu

10/10/10/10 - Source

Who was in the wrong here? 1f914.png Glorious, well-respected Nihonji gaming magazine that has previously given only two other Western games (Skyrim and GTA V) perfect scores, or 'journalists' and Twitter critics?

As always though, watch gameplay and listen to the opinions of friends you know you can trust to have good taste - form your own opinions irrespective of what the journalism-school-dropout cocksuckers with financial interest in good scores that seem to permeate Western media have to say.

Interesting. 

I was wondering how that would go, since the previous "more divisive, but overall 10/10 game" wasn't able to get the Famitsu perfect score... 

After the backlash about the other game, maybe several reviewers decided to go with a more "normal" score on this one? 

Yet, Famitsu went the other way around and gave this one the perfect score.. 

Still, really liking the lack of drama around the review scores for this game, I kind of feared the same bs as with the other game.. 

I'm not trying to derail the thread, just pointing an interesting point from a somewhat outside perspective (I don't have any interest in the "other franchise", and I canceled Ghost of Tsushima pre-order yesterday due to some technical issues, but I pre-ordered it right away again because pre-order give me a better deal than buy at day 1). 

Edit:

I also believe that Famitsu review system is currently the best one, because it requires the input of different people, forcing into the score the "devisive" factor of several games. The fact that most scores now are just whole numbers from 1-5 or 1-10 doesn't help the other grading systems, there's not enough subdivision of the grades to make it remotely relevant, specially when Metacritic upscales them wrongly to the 1-100 scale.. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 3