Cliche Trophy Thoughts

Personally, I saw a trailer for this game a few months ago, and it caught my interest.  If I am being honest, I mostly kept it in the back of my mind since then, hearing nothing more about it until I remembered it last week, only to find out it was coming out this week.  So this is a game that is on my radar, but not really one I would likely buy right away.

I took a look at the trophy list today, and honestly, it seems a bit boring.  Filled with just do X, Y times.  Seems like very little thought or effort was put into the list.  I hope this doesn't translate to the game as well, because that would be disappointing.

Any differing opinions? 

Just now, HuntingFever said:

I prefer this sort of list, because it means i can focus on the game and not have to worry too much about the trophies :).

That is true, just as long as the numbers come with playing the game, or only a little grinding.

Currently I am playing Moonlighter, and you could beat the game while being thorough and killing everything you see, killing ~ 2000-3000 enemies, and yet there is a trophy for killing 10,000.  Those kinds of do X, Y times trophies I am not a fan of ...

It looks like a pretty simple, pretty straightforward list.  But there's probably a catch or two in there, something that might require some exploration and some grinding and work against the RNG to do things like "defeat every type of enemy" or somesuch.  And maybe some of these grindy achievements will require some dedicated "sit and do this" effort because it's above and beyond what it would normally take to do everything else. I just finished a game with one of those, which required me to do a mindless (and useless) task for a short while after everything else was done.

The previews I've seen make this seem like an interesting title, and that's a big part of why I took the plunge a few months ago and pre-ordered.  My copy from NISA is due to arrive tomorrow, and it's going straight into my console as my next project in RPG Mania.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, acasser said:

It looks like a pretty simple, pretty straightforward list.  But there's probably a catch or two in there, something that might require some exploration and some grinding and work against the RNG to do things like "defeat every type of enemy" or somesuch.  And maybe some of these grindy achievements will require some dedicated "sit and do this" effort because it's above and beyond what it would normally take to do everything else. I just finished a game with one of those, which required me to do a mindless (and useless) task for a short while after everything else was done.

The previews I've seen make this seem like an interesting title, and that's a big part of why I took the plunge a few months ago and pre-ordered.  My copy from NISA is due to arrive tomorrow, and it's going straight into my console as my next project in RPG Mania.

After you get some time with the game, come back and let us know what you think :) 

Alrighty, I've played for 3-4 hours in the past day (Hooray Coronavirus killing my job!) and here are my initial impressions:

This is a game I could play with my nieces and nephews if they were into the sorts of video-gaming that I am.  While there's a little bit of a dark vibe from the whole post-apocalyptic backstory, this is very much a story that can be shared with young people.  No salaciousness, no gory violence, not even any profanity.

The Siliconera review references Awakened Fate Ultimatum as being like a spiritual precursor to this one.  And that's accurate, because there's definitely a lot of similarities to that and to Guided Fate Paradox when it comes to the dungeon-crawling aspect.  It's harder than Awakened Fate, but pretty much anything would be.

The dungeons can be pretty unforgiving, especially if the RNG isn't on your side.  Which I suppose is part of the point of the game, because the idea is that your entire inventory gets converted into building materials for the "base camp" part of the game when you die.  And while each death resets you to level 1 and nukes your entire inventory (including what you might have found in-dungeon to equip), there are in-game systems that will gradually augment your base power.

There's a fair amount of system to digest, but the game is pretty good at introducing things piecemeal in a "peel the onion" sort of way.  It doesn't overwhelm you with a ton of things at once.  And it does a fair amount of hand-holding when it comes to guiding you on the immediate in-game objectives.

The RNG may be an issue for some of the trophies, most likely the "kill every type of enemy" and "feed the girl every type of food" trophies.  50 skills won't be an issue, because there are 100+ of them in the game and because there are in-game systems that will help you manipulate things.

On the other hand, the RNG is likely to be an issue with some other stuff.  You can get screwed pretty quickly on a run if the "right" skills aren't offered when you level up, if you get clobbered by ill luck insofar as what spawns on a given floor, et cetera.  And I suspect this will eventually be a (potential) problem if you're aiming for the trophy for making it to Level 50.

I suspect this isn't going to be a very difficult platinum.  You just might have to pray to RNGeezus a few times.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, acasser said:

I suspect this isn't going to be a very difficult platinum.  You just might have to pray to RNGeezus a few times.

Agreed. The bulk seems to be achieved naturally, with only a few that will have you going out of your way to grind/struggle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, acasser said:

Alrighty, I've played for 3-4 hours in the past day (Hooray Coronavirus killing my job!) and here are my initial impressions:

This is a game I could play with my nieces and nephews if they were into the sorts of video-gaming that I am.  While there's a little bit of a dark vibe from the whole post-apocalyptic backstory, this is very much a story that can be shared with young people.  No salaciousness, no gory violence, not even any profanity.

The Siliconera review references Awakened Fate Ultimatum as being like a spiritual precursor to this one.  And that's accurate, because there's definitely a lot of similarities to that and to Guided Fate Paradox when it comes to the dungeon-crawling aspect.  It's harder than Awakened Fate, but pretty much anything would be.

The dungeons can be pretty unforgiving, especially if the RNG isn't on your side.  Which I suppose is part of the point of the game, because the idea is that your entire inventory gets converted into building materials for the "base camp" part of the game when you die.  And while each death resets you to level 1 and nukes your entire inventory (including what you might have found in-dungeon to equip), there are in-game systems that will gradually augment your base power.

There's a fair amount of system to digest, but the game is pretty good at introducing things piecemeal in a "peel the onion" sort of way.  It doesn't overwhelm you with a ton of things at once.  And it does a fair amount of hand-holding when it comes to guiding you on the immediate in-game objectives.

The RNG may be an issue for some of the trophies, most likely the "kill every type of enemy" and "feed the girl every type of food" trophies.  50 skills won't be an issue, because there are 100+ of them in the game and because there are in-game systems that will help you manipulate things.

On the other hand, the RNG is likely to be an issue with some other stuff.  You can get screwed pretty quickly on a run if the "right" skills aren't offered when you level up, if you get clobbered by ill luck insofar as what spawns on a given floor, et cetera.  And I suspect this will eventually be a (potential) problem if you're aiming for the trophy for making it to Level 50.

Thank you very much for the insight.  If anything, you have made me more interested in playing the game.  Might pick it up once I am finished with Moonlighter, will have to see.