What do you think will be the last major PS4 release before next gen ?

Cloudbahamut

We have Assassins Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk coming out in November. Do you think those will be the last two AAA releases ever for the PS4 before all new major games come out on PS5 ? Do you think there will be some major games releasing for PS4 and PS5 in 2021 ? Because so far all major new game announcements (Spider-Man: MM, RE 8, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon 2 etc.) for 2021 and beyond seem to be PS5 only.

• Like 3

Ghost of Tsushima is the last Sony first party game on PS4. They have made it clear that every first party game after this, will be PS5 exclusive. Only major games would be third party now. Making a guess for that is very hard because I think there will be plenty big third party games coming to PS4 until probably mid 2022. 

• Like 4

I'm still holding out hope for a 60FPS remaster of MGS4... come on, MGS4 and PS4, it was written in the stars!

Realistically it'll probably be some kind of annual sports game, like always. This gen though, I feel like Ratalaika might get the last laugh for actual last game, major or no... with like, I don't know, Super Cowpie Stacker Demake or something.

• Like 4

PS3 released major games long after the PS4 launched (they were released on both PS3/PS4).

I bet that will continue.  Too big of a user base to pass up.  It will be years before the PS5 gets anywhere close to that.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Hitman 3 will be coming to this gen and next gen and it's currently set for a January 2021 launch.

Hitman 3 will be on PS4 as well ? I thought for sure it would be only on next gen consoles. That's interesting.

And yes people I am aware that many PS4 games that are releasing this year will also get a PS5 release later but that is not what I meant. I am talking about games that are AAA titles from major studios that will release on PS4 (either first on PS4 or alongside PS5, doesn't matter). if Hitman 3 releases on PS4 in January that definitely qualifies as such a game.

As for sports games - I was expecting the 22 games (Fifa 22, NHL 22 etc.) to only come out for the new consoles next year. You think games like Fifa 22 will still come out on PS4 ? Seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Ilzaki said:

Probably the last part of Final Fantasy VII Remake.

No way. All the FF VII Remake parts that will release in the future will be PS5 only. There has never been a Final Fantasy console game which was released on two different console generations at the same time. Also the future installments will implement a huge world map (as confirmed by Nomura and Kitase in the Ultimania) which would definitely be much easier with the PS5 hardware.

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

PS3 released major games long after the PS4 launched (they were released on both PS3/PS4).

I bet that will continue.  Too big of a user base to pass up.  It will be years before the PS5 gets anywhere close to that.

Major PS3 games that were released after the PS4 launch ? Such as ? Nearly every AAA title, especially sequels from major franchises were only on PS4 and not on PS3 after the PS4 launch. Injustice 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy XV, Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, God of War, Gran Turismo Sport etc. were all PS4 gen only. Not PS3.

Edited by Cloudbahamut

Games will come out for ps4 for the next 2 years. Especially now that they can just release PS4 versions of games upres them slightly and call them ps5 games.

Square Enix says they wont make PS5 exclusives right away so atleast FF7 Part 2 might be on PS4

https://www.gamesradar.com/square-enix-plans-to-make-its-new-games-available-for-both-current-and-next-gen-consoles/

Edited by Soulslayer434

19 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Hitman 3 will be on PS4 as well ? I thought for sure it would be only on next gen consoles. That's interesting.

And yes people I am aware that many PS4 games that are releasing this year will also get a PS5 release later but that is not what I meant. I am talking about games that are AAA titles from major studios that will release on PS4 (either first on PS4 or alongside PS5, doesn't matter). if Hitman 3 releases on PS4 in January that definitely qualifies as such a game.

As for sports games - I was expecting the 22 games (Fifa 22, NHL 22 etc.) to only come out for the new consoles next year. You think games like Fifa 22 will still come out on PS4 ? Seems unlikely.

No way. All the FF VII Remake parts that will release in the future will be PS5 only. There has never been a Final Fantasy main game which was released on two different console generations at the same time.

Major PS3 games that were released after the PS4 launch ? Such as ? Nearly every AAA title, especially sequels from major franchises were only on PS4 and not on PS3 after the PS4 launch. Injustice 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy XV, Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, God of War, Gran Turismo Sport etc. were all PS4 gen only. Not PS3.

Hmm, my memory could be faulty (maybe confusing from all of the remasters) but I felt like most sports games and a lot of other titles were released on both for a year or two.

NBA 2K17 (September 2016) was released on PS3 which was nearly 3 years after the PS4 was released.   Although that was extreme and one of the last PS3 new game releases,  

NHL released versions for both in September 2015, so nearly 2 years after release.  Madden did the same.

Edited by djb5f

12 minutes ago, Soulslayer434 said:

Games will come out for ps4 for the next 2 years. Especially now that they can just release PS4 versions of games upres them slightly and call them ps5 games.

Square Enix says they wont make PS5 exclusives right away so atleast FF7 Part 2 might be on PS4

https://www.gamesradar.com/square-enix-plans-to-make-its-new-games-available-for-both-current-and-next-gen-consoles/

Well that is a false statement by SE because their upcoming Project Athia is already confirmed to be PS5 and PC only.

8 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Hmm, my memory could be faulty (maybe confusing from all of the remasters) but I felt like most sports games and a lot of other titles were released on both for a year or two.

NBA 2K17 (September 2016) was released on PS3 which was nearly 3 years after the PS4 was released.   Although that was extreme and one of the last PS3 new game releases,  

NHL released versions for both in September 2015, so nearly 2 years after release.  Madden did the same.

How about non-sports games ?

Edited by Cloudbahamut

Sony did release LittleBigPlanet 3 for both PS3 and PS4 a year after the PS4 launched.  They also had Gran Turismo 6 a month after PS4 launched, while Puppeteer and Beyond Two Souls were a month before the PS4.

From third parties we had Assassin's Creed Rogue, Persona 5, Call of Duty Black Ops 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5, Dragon Age Inquisition, Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, Watch Dogs, Lightning Returns and various Lego games.  Granted, some of them ran badly on last gen hardware but there was a long long period of cross-gen releases.

I feel that this gen more than ever, there will be more cross-gen games, especially with PS5 being backwards compatible, why wouldn't developers / publishers want to tap both markets?  And isn't sports games usually some of the last games to be released for a system?  FIFA19 was released on PS3 in Sep 2018.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Well, Project Athia may take a couple of years for it to come out. It doesn't even have a proper title yet, so don't expect it to come out any earlier than 2022.

The same would apply to future FF VII Remake games though. Definitely not out before 2022.

• Like 1

The last big non-sports game on PS3 was Persona 5, 3 and a half years after the PS4's release. I'm expecting a sea of cross-gen titles that slowly peter out around the midpoint of the PS5's life cycle. It's not like major publishers are going to abandon a 100+ million install base overnight.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

The last big non-sports game on PS3 was Persona 5, 3 and a half years after the PS4's release. I'm expecting a sea of cross-gen titles that slowly peter out around the midpoint of the PS5's life cycle. It's not like major publishers are going to abandon a 100+ million install base overnight.

Yet many major games such as the next installments of Spider-Man, Horizon, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo and co. have already been confirmed to not release on PS4. So clearly those studios and franchises do abandon that install base overnight.

5 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Yet many major games such as the next installments of Spider-Man, Horizon, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo and co. have already been confirmed to not release on PS4. So clearly those studios and franchises do abandon that install base overnight.

If developers are able to release titles "for PS4" that can still take advantage of the hardware of the PS5, which Sony (Mark Cerny has already said they can) then comparisons to the PS3 to PS4 generations is pointless. Many developers (even AAA) would be able to target a larger userbase and market the compatibility features, which would be cheaper than going all in on PS5, just to be on next gen.

There are *some* you have pointed out that have targeted PS5 only (I'm going to put a guess that it's on the much more efficient space usage required for their visions) but there's real possibility that those are not the norm.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Playstation-only titles are different.  They are trying to drive the purchase of a new console.

EA, Activision (Call of Duty), Ubisoft, etc, will continue to release on both for couple of years.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1