Question: Plus games saves after years without Plus

GoonerLukeThe

I'm thinking of buying a ps3 again after all these years, I want to do some trophy clean ups and also play on games I've never owned before.

My question is, with the games I've owned before will I have the saved data from them just by logging in with my psn account? I really don't think that's how it works but I'm not 100% sure

Edited by DaivRules

3 minutes ago, LukeTheGooner said:

I'm thinking of buying a ps3 again after all these years, I want to do some trophy clean ups and also play on games I've never owned before.

My question is, with the games I've owned before will I have the saved data from them just by logging in with my psn account? I really don't think that's how it works but I'm not 100% sure

Only if you uploaded them to the cloud

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LukeTheGooner said:

If you had PSN+ and uploaded your saves...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

PSN will delete your cloud saves after so many months of not being subbed to PS+

Not quite correctly, actually, despite what their site says. I wasn't a PS Plus members for about 2 whole years and all my saves from 3 years ago were still intact the moment I signed up to Plus again.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2020 at 6:07 PM, SnowxSakura said:

PSN will delete your cloud saves after so many months of not being subbed to PS+

This seems a bit mean. I stopped Plus simply because I got PS Now and had no need for it. 
Still, not as bad as MS deleting my entire account with game purchases because I didn’t buy their console this gen. That pissed me off to the extent I’ll likely never buy one of their consoles again.

9 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

This seems a bit mean. I stopped Plus simply because I got PS Now and had no need for it. 
Still, not as bad as MS deleting my entire account with game purchases because I didn’t buy their console this gen. That pissed me off to the extent I’ll likely never buy one of their consoles again.

That's bizarre. Did you not sign into your MS account for years or something?

1 hour ago, thefourfoldroot said:

They shouldn't have. In the past year or so they've only started clearing up inactive original xbox gamertags. Mine still worked after not logging into it since 2005 though

4 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

That's bizarre. Did you not sign into your MS account for years or something?

Exactly. Didn’t have the Xbone so no need to sign in, so they deleted my account with all my purchases and Achievements. This happened some years ago but still leaves a bad taste.

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

They shouldn't have. In the past year or so they've only started clearing up inactive original xbox gamertags. Mine still worked after not logging into it since 2005 though

It was a couple of years ago because I hadn’t signed in for 5 years or something. 

On 14/09/2020 at 0:26 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

I wouldn't call it mean. Cloud saves are a PS+ feature and part of the cost is to pay for the cloud storage, so you did still have some need for it if you were wanting to keep cloud saves (even if you didn't have need for all the features). If it was a physical storage unit, you wouldn't expect them to keep your stuff after you stopped paying for the unit.

As it is, they do tend to keep the saves for at least a few months, which is more than fair and should be plenty of time for anyone who forgets or needs to wait for payday. If you're planning to unsubscribe longer than that, you should be moving your saves elsewhere to store (eg USB).

44 minutes ago, StacFace92 said:

I wouldn't call it mean. Cloud saves are a PS+ feature and part of the cost is to pay for the cloud storage, so you did still have some need for it if you were wanting to keep cloud saves (even if you didn't have need for all the features). If it was a physical storage unit, you wouldn't expect them to keep your stuff after you stopped paying for the unit.

As it is, they do tend to keep the saves for at least a few months, which is more than fair and should be plenty of time for anyone who forgets or needs to wait for payday. If you're planning to unsubscribe longer than that, you should be moving your saves elsewhere to store (eg USB).

Not all saves are USB compatible. Street Fighter IV vanilla and Skate 2 for example are copy protected.

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666
  • Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 4:58 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

Exactly. Didn’t have the Xbone so no need to sign in, so they deleted my account with all my purchases and Achievements. This happened some years ago but still leaves a bad taste.

It was a couple of years ago because I hadn’t signed in for 5 years or something. 

I know they state they may delete your account after so many years of inactivity, didn't think it actually happened very often though, especially to accounts that had made previous purchases. That really sucks, my condolences.

1 hour ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

Not all saves are USB compatible. Street Fighter IV vanilla and Skate 2 for example are copy protected.

Really hate this about the PS3. At least nothing on PS4 seems to be copy protected, at least not what I've come across in my 300-ish games on there so far.

3 hours ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

This.

It's precisely the reason I currently have PS Plus subscription even though I don't own a PS4 to enjoy the "free" games or online multiplayer, so I basically paying a $60 dollar per year just keep my copy-protected on PS Cloud in any case happens to my ps3 and I can't recover the saves on the HDD (already happened in the past). Luckily, through my own experience, Sony does not delete the saves on the cloud after 6 months, 1 year on even maybe 2 years...I re-subscribed to PS Plus in march 2019 after an almost 2 year period of not subscription since last time I had PS Plus was around June 2017, which makes around 21 months.

6 hours ago, StacFace92 said:

Perhaps. Let’s then say that forcing us to pay £50 a year for cloud storage is mean. After all, who in their right mind would get ps+ for the games when compared to the much better value PS Now, especially when games are duplicated on the two? Nobody. As I’m not really an online gamer (or an happy just to play PS Now game’s online) locking cloud saves behind such an expensive paywall is just mean in my opinion.

I do think Sony has to roll these services together. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot

5 hours ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

Yeah I'm vaguely aware that some games are copy-protected but don't really keep track of which ones, since I have plus so they're all backed up automatically anyway.

Honestly if anyone, I think it's more the specific devs are mean for removing alternative back-up options. I know they do it to prevent cheating, but there must be better way to do this without impacting everyone else.

14 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Perhaps. Let’s then say that forcing us to pay £50 a year for cloud storage is mean. After all, who in their right mind would get ps+ for the games when compared to the much better value PS Now, especially when games are duplicated on the two? Nobody. As I’m not really an online gamer (or an happy just to play PS Now game’s online) locking cloud saves behind such an expensive paywall is just mean in my opinion.

I do think Sony has to roll these services together. 

Yeah I can see there's some crossover with plus and now, and it would be great for those who want both to have a combined subscription.

Though I would point out that rolling services together is what's caused cloud storage to be £50 in the first place. Since you can't buy it seperately, you have to pay for the games & PS4 online even if those parts don't appeal to you. I hope that if they do offer a combined subscription, they continue to offer both seperately as well.

1 hour ago, StacFace92 said:

Yeah I'm vaguely aware that some games are copy-protected but don't really keep track of which ones, since I have plus so they're all backed up automatically anyway.

Honestly if anyone, I think it's more the specific devs are mean for removing alternative back-up options. I know they do it to prevent cheating, but there must be better way to do this without impacting everyone else.

Yeah I can see there's some crossover with plus and now, and it would be great for those who want both to have a combined subscription.

Though I would point out that rolling services together is what's caused cloud storage to be £50 in the first place. Since you can't buy it seperately, you have to pay for the games & PS4 online even if those parts don't appeal to you. I hope that if they do offer a combined subscription, they continue to offer both seperately as well.

Good point. But, personally, I don’t see the point in them even continuing to offer Plus separately In its current form. The games at least are pointless and just disincentivises people from having both services if they are paying for games twice. Plus, if you are paying for now, you should get cloud storage. I mean MS gives it for free. I think there should be a cheaper option to just buy online access for those who want to just play FIFA and cod all year and don’t care about other games or subs, but a service of online, a game subscription service of 4 games a month at least and online storage is one they could charge £70 a year for easy. Add streaming to phones and I’d pay £100 a year.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

As much as I hate MS, I doubt they would just delete your entire purchase history. There must have been a mistake, you should contact them.

I lost my Japanese PSN account for nearly 3 years, forgot my password and my old e-mail became obsolete so I could no longer log in and could not "forgot my password" and have it go back to a valid e-mail.

After some perseverence to Japanese PSN, I managed to get the account back though and all my purchases with it.

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

As much as I hate MS, I doubt they would just delete your entire purchase history. There must have been a mistake, you should contact them.

I lost my Japanese PSN account for nearly 3 years, forgot my password and my old e-mail became obsolete so I could no longer log in and could not "forgot my password" and have it go back to a valid e-mail.

After some perseverence to Japanese PSN, I managed to get the account back though and all my purchases with it.

No mistake. I later found out they had warned everyone 2 years in advance, but not being in the ecosystem I missed it. I later checked if I could log in, or even find my userid on their website listing thing, but no luck. My gamertag was BlakesUrizen and it is indeed gone as they warned.

Ok I stand corrected, MS are just dicks then.

But I guess compared to Nintendo who delete all your backed up saves IMMEDIATELY after your subscription ends? On the Switch console that does not support being able top back up your saves to USB.

Nintendo online is literally just ransomware

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Ok I stand corrected, MS are just dicks then.

But I guess compared to Nintendo who delete all your backed up saves IMMEDIATELY after your subscription ends? On the Switch console that does not support being able top back up your saves to USB.

Nintendo online is literally just ransomware

To be honest I don’t care too much about saves. I do have a trails if cold steel 2 save I’m going to lose as I didn’t resubscribe to Plus  (I was on the second play through and got a bit burnt out) so that means I’ll never get that plat, plus some completed VITA games I had to delete from the system and so lost saves because i oh father stupid way that system works, but other than that nothing major. Losing my gamerscore was the worst from MS. Didn’t even really care about the games I lost as I’d finished them, but my gamer score was years of history and effort.

But yes, Ninty deleting saves immediately is shitty.

Edited by thefourfoldroot