Someone help, struggling terribly with Lingering Will on PS4 version!

So i've read into and watched a few videos of this cheap method of defeating him now like having certain abilities unequipped and others like negative combo equipped, along with fenrir keyblade etc and then just use comet and keep jumping and hitting him and i do get a few hits. but after i wear down about one life bar he always seems to break free every time, I have a feeling on earlier ports of the game it was made easier whereas on PS4 its harder to execute, thats all I can assume, anyone got any more tips?  I feel like not doing the plat right now, KH1 was never that bad in comparison on any of the bosses, just grindy but this battle seems mighty unfair and one sided.  if anyone could show me where I'm going wrong I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 2

It's not harder on the PS4, it just requires some practice. Steady timing is key. Several times I wore him down by multiple life bars, only to slightly mistime a hit that let him get free.

The good news is that if you can get him down by 1 bar, that means you can beat him as the method does not change. Stick with it and it's very likely you'll get it within a few more tries. It just needs to click for you.

Good luck!

I couldn't for the life of me get any of the cheap methods to work on PS3. It literally took me years of throwing myself at him every now and again, when I should have sat down and just learned the fight. It's all about timing, practice really is key. Figuring him out legit will make the shortcuts easier, as counter-intuitive as that may seem.

I can recommend watching bizkit047's videos (this goes for pretty much everything Kingdom Hearts tbh) and do your best to learn from what he's doing. Keep practising and revising your approaches, it'll click eventually. I know where you're coming from and the fight is infuriatingly hard until you figure him out, but he is perfectly doable with enough practice. Not easy, but doable, definitely. Sorry this isn't a perfect guaranteed-to-win reply, but if that method existed I think we'd all know about it. Best of luck regardless, you can do it!

7 minutes ago, DesmaBR said:

The cheap method is perfectly doable on PS4, didn't notice anything different compared to doing it on PS3.

Are you sure you're doing with proper rhythm?

Yes, comet him into the air, jump hit jump hit jump hit jump hit, etc, with Fenrir.  then when about one health bar is worn down he usually breaks free, ive seen some people taking huge chunks off his health with each hit on youtube too and in comparison i dont seem to be doing much damage and im level 99....

13 minutes ago, mike_87 said:

Yes, comet him into the air, jump hit jump hit jump hit jump hit, etc, with Fenrir.  then when about one health bar is worn down he usually breaks free, ive seen some people taking huge chunks off his health with each hit on youtube too and in comparison i dont seem to be doing much damage and im level 99....

Did you equip all Negative Combos too?

Don't have any combo extenders equipped also (Combo Plus, Air Combo Plus)? Definitely take those out

Edited by DesmaBR

32 minutes ago, DesmaBR said:

Did you equip all Negative Combos too?

Don't have any combo extenders equipped also (Combo Plus, Air Combo Plus)? Definitely take those out

Yeah, unequipped anything combo related..and equipped just the one negative combo thats on Sora’s ability list, didnt know there could be several negative combos

On 7/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, mike_87 said:

So i've read into and watched a few videos of this cheap method of defeating him now like having certain abilities unequipped and others like negative combo equipped, along with fenrir keyblade etc and then just use comet and keep jumping and hitting him and i do get a few hits. but after i wear down about one life bar he always seems to break free every time, I have a feeling on earlier ports of the game it was made easier whereas on PS4 its harder to execute, thats all I can assume, anyone got any more tips?  I feel like not doing the plat right now, KH1 was never that bad in comparison on any of the bosses, just grindy but this battle seems mighty unfair and one sided.  if anyone could show me where I'm going wrong or shareplay me I'd appreciate it.  my id is 'mike_87'

I did this on the PS3 version, but been playing the PS4 version now. I tried him last night and he always broke through or Sora would jump without hitting and allowing him free. I got to his last bar on one try, even after he broke through it twice, the third time he broke through and killed me, I have no problem getting immediately back in the loop if that happens. I never had this problem on the PS3 version, don't care what anyone says, it is different. So what I'm going to do is synthesize some Power Ups, that will probably bridge the gap. Oh last thing, I don't think this way is a cheat or anything, you're doing it by unequipping and equipping different Abilities and Weapons. I honestly don't see the point for the Negative Combo on Fenrir, since you get the Keyblade so late, it was probably meant for The Lingering Will.

EDIT: Got my Strength up to 100 and that did it and it bridged the gap, I beat him on my 1st try. He only got out of the combo once with 2 bars left, got back in it and beat him. All I can say is do what I did if you're having problems. 

Edited by Nitemares-----

• 2 weeks later...

Thank God! I was able to do this in 2 tries, first was just to see what it was like to try and beat it legit - 60 seconds later it was time for round 2 and the loop method.

I don't know if it matters but I am pretty sure my first hit began the loop and he never broke free even after being pushed up against the arena wall. My heart was hammering when I got to 1 health bar, all I could think was don't break out, don't break out!

Now the only major obstacles are the data battles,  wish me luck as do not want to restart on a lower difficulty!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...