Unkind thoughts on the platinum

JEDLander

On 16. 7. 2020 at 0:49 AM, JEDLander said:

Foreward: I just want to write all this down because it's cathartic. I posted it somewhere else but it's going here too. You may disagree, in which case it's fine to be incorrect...

If you enjoy this game, don't go for the platinum. Do yourself a favour, just don't do it. It might seem like a good idea. It's not. Red Dead 2 is the most tedious platinum I've ever seen. Everything is a miserable chore. 

Pretty much all the requirements for 100% completion are bitterly, bitterly unenjoyable. I genuinely don't believe that anybody at cockstar actually did any of these things themselves, because why would you bother? They're a total waste of life. You're going to be spending 70 hours, maybe more, looking for a ridiculous number of plants, trying to get animals to spawn in, trying to get fish to spawn in, trying to get bears to spawn in so you can be mauled by 18 of them, the list goes on. The challenges are piss poor because they only start tracking when you complete the previous one. For herbalist, you need to pick 15 herb species, then later you have to pick every herb species and the 15 you found earlier need to be found again. Utterly nonsensical. Oh and the game doesn't track which ones you have and haven't found. A couple of the gambler challenges are 100% RNG so settle in for that shit, and I hope you like trying to find every breed of horse. Prepare to get annoyed at YT videos where some smug asshole is stood in the middle of a herd of horses, but you ride around for an hour in the same spot and find fuck all. Algernon Wasp is a dick. Even the less immediately annoying ones like the dino bones just degrade into a boring slog, and the 19 perfect carcasses are for masochists. You could literally play through an entire other game, maybe two, in the time it takes for you to do this painstaking clean-up alone, so go and do that instead.

The online is a miserable, contentless void of repetition that rockstar refuses to invest any time or effort into. If you really want to go for Lv 50, I  recommend doing a level or two per day and then doing something else because there's just so little to keep you entertained. I genuinely had a better time with Fallout 76 than this multiplayer.

The requirements for the gold medals are a failure from start to finish. There's no real checkpoint feature to retry tough sections, the objectives are utterly uninspired and boring, and they don't stay completed on successive attempts, so if you manage to do a mission with 90% accuracy but not in the time limit, and then you try again and you do it within the time limit but miss three shots, you're still no closer to the gold. MGSV did this so much better. Just like the rest of the game, you need to do an unnecessary number of the missions over and over again. 50 golds would have been more than enough, but thank god they don't ask for all missions gold. This is the only time that they were at least semi-reasonable.

The objectives for completing a mission in the certain time limit are the worst, because every mission has long sections where the game dictates what pace you're allowed to ride/ walk at, you have to stop and wait for NPC's who can clip onto walls or scenery, or other random NPCs, slowing you down and junking that attempt because the time limits are eye-waveringly strict most times. Seriously, you have to be borderline input-perfect on some of these missions to make the time limits they want, it's just plain not fun.

Any failure screen will void the accuracy and health-item related objectives (not sure if this is intentional) so if a moron NPC walks in front of a stagecoach, or skittles a pedestrian, or is struck by a bolt of lightning, then boom, attempt over, do it all again. Quit the game, reload the game, go back through the menu and reload the whole mission, listen to all of the dialogue again during the mandatory slow-ass trailing session at the start, and then you can try again. Seriously if something goes wrong, you're probably going to be waiting about 10 minutes before you're back at the section you failed. Just utterly fucking boring and frustrating.

Just when you think you've done the most tedious thing, you realise that the thing you have to do next is just as soul-destroying. Everything seems intended to waste as much of the player's time as possible.

I really liked the game when I first played it (apart from Ch6 because most of that is utter drivel), but holy shit does it LONG out-stay its welcome. And since quitting at any point means that all the time you spent grinding thus far is a total waste, you kinda get sucked in to seeing it through.

I could not say it better... I got the platinum, but I did it only because I said I would and I really do not like to go back on what I said... But jesus this really tested me. It took me 170 hours but it felt like 500+ hours. If I am ever gonna go for such long platinums again I will rather choose something seriously hard as Wolfenstein II then something seriously grindy.

• Like 2

I gave up on this as soon as you have to find 3 star pelts for the stupid squirrel and the grind to level 50 in multiplayer. Those 2 trophies killed any and all enjoyment for me. I spent 10 hours searching for a 3 star skunk. I had the charm that helps you get 3 stars, I went to every area they spawned in, I watched all the YouTube guides and couldn't find a single one. And the multiplayer, the cost of any item and the reward for missions is way out of balance. From memory, I need something like $72 for a varment rifle, I did some missions and all I got was 10 cents or something ridiculous. I noped the fuck out after that and sold the damn game. 

On 05/12/2020 at 6:53 PM, Cleggworth said:

It was the squirrel for me, they are everywhere until you need 1 then they all go and disappear. As soon as you finally get one they are everywhere again. I kill the little fuckers everytime I see one now as punishment 

Bro I almost turned my console off when I literally found 2 3-star chipmunks outside the woman's cottage, having previously spent 4 hours roaming around some battlefield trying to find them

On 05/12/2020 at 6:22 PM, Alos88 said:

I did Death Stranding, I'm pretty sure I can do this.

Mhm so did I. This took far longer 

• Like 1

I have to completely agree.

I don't mind grinding or spending 20 hours farming for something, I'll just put on some music and relax.

But the platinum for this game is so tedious and a chore.

It's exactly like the Opening Post says. "The moment you are done with something, it throws something even more tedious your way"

And I could live with that, IF the spawnrates of certain animals would have been reasonable.

For example, I've been looking for a perfect skunk for the past 4 hours.

Normally, you see those shitters everywhere, yet... now that I have the mission active, they are nowhere to be found and if they do spawn... it's a normal one.

And that's the case for pretty much everything regarding this platinum.

They thought of something that would already be a chore and they said "Hmm, how could be make this even more annoying and tedious"

Like...

Go out hunting for a rare animal that we make even rarer...

"You liked that?"
How about you do it again, but now for the Hunting Bounty.

"We know you really liked that"

So, how about you do it a third time for the challenges.

FUCK OFFFFF

I loved every second of the story part of this game, but the moment I started doing the animals and the 100%... *sigh*

One of the best story's I played, but with maybe the worst platinum I've ever attempted.... and I'm very close to just saying "it's not worth it"

Edited by JusttJD

On 16/7/2020 at 0:49 AM, JEDLander said:

Foreward: I just want to write all this down because it's cathartic. I posted it somewhere else but it's going here too. You may disagree, in which case it's fine to be incorrect...

If you enjoy this game, don't go for the platinum. Do yourself a favour, just don't do it. It might seem like a good idea. It's not. Red Dead 2 is the most tedious platinum I've ever seen. Everything is a miserable chore. 

Pretty much all the requirements for 100% completion are bitterly, bitterly unenjoyable. I genuinely don't believe that anybody at cockstar actually did any of these things themselves, because why would you bother? They're a total waste of life. You're going to be spending 70 hours, maybe more, looking for a ridiculous number of plants, trying to get animals to spawn in, trying to get fish to spawn in, trying to get bears to spawn in so you can be mauled by 18 of them, the list goes on. The challenges are piss poor because they only start tracking when you complete the previous one. For herbalist, you need to pick 15 herb species, then later you have to pick every herb species and the 15 you found earlier need to be found again. Utterly nonsensical. Oh and the game doesn't track which ones you have and haven't found. A couple of the gambler challenges are 100% RNG so settle in for that shit, and I hope you like trying to find every breed of horse. Prepare to get annoyed at YT videos where some smug asshole is stood in the middle of a herd of horses, but you ride around for an hour in the same spot and find fuck all. Algernon Wasp is a dick. Even the less immediately annoying ones like the dino bones just degrade into a boring slog, and the 19 perfect carcasses are for masochists. You could literally play through an entire other game, maybe two, in the time it takes for you to do this painstaking clean-up alone, so go and do that instead.

The online is a miserable, contentless void of repetition that rockstar refuses to invest any time or effort into. If you really want to go for Lv 50, I  recommend doing a level or two per day and then doing something else because there's just so little to keep you entertained. I genuinely had a better time with Fallout 76 than this multiplayer.

The requirements for the gold medals are a failure from start to finish. There's no real checkpoint feature to retry tough sections, the objectives are utterly uninspired and boring, and they don't stay completed on successive attempts, so if you manage to do a mission with 90% accuracy but not in the time limit, and then you try again and you do it within the time limit but miss three shots, you're still no closer to the gold. MGSV did this so much better. Just like the rest of the game, you need to do an unnecessary number of the missions over and over again. 50 golds would have been more than enough, but thank god they don't ask for all missions gold. This is the only time that they were at least semi-reasonable.

The objectives for completing a mission in the certain time limit are the worst, because every mission has long sections where the game dictates what pace you're allowed to ride/ walk at, you have to stop and wait for NPC's who can clip onto walls or scenery, or other random NPCs, slowing you down and junking that attempt because the time limits are eye-waveringly strict most times. Seriously, you have to be borderline input-perfect on some of these missions to make the time limits they want, it's just plain not fun.

Any failure screen will void the accuracy and health-item related objectives (not sure if this is intentional) so if a moron NPC walks in front of a stagecoach, or skittles a pedestrian, or is struck by a bolt of lightning, then boom, attempt over, do it all again. Quit the game, reload the game, go back through the menu and reload the whole mission, listen to all of the dialogue again during the mandatory slow-ass trailing session at the start, and then you can try again. Seriously if something goes wrong, you're probably going to be waiting about 10 minutes before you're back at the section you failed. Just utterly fucking boring and frustrating.

Just when you think you've done the most tedious thing, you realise that the thing you have to do next is just as soul-destroying. Everything seems intended to waste as much of the player's time as possible.

I really liked the game when I first played it (apart from Ch6 because most of that is utter drivel), but holy shit does it LONG out-stay its welcome. And since quitting at any point means that all the time you spent grinding thus far is a total waste, you kinda get sucked in to seeing it through.

I totally agree, don't forget to mention the crazy amount of collectibles in the main game and in the online if you choose the collector role which is the faster for grinding. I want also to say that for the gold medals, when you're going for a time limit you can't even understand when the timer starts and the fact that the mission menu doesn't tell if you've failed the mission you just lose a lot of time trying for something that you can't reach. I hated this platinum with all my heart

I'm a maxed OSRS player so i know a lot about a good grind. I started RDR2 as i wanted to experience the story of this game but i won't be going for the platinum in it. 200 hours in a game doesn't really bother me but when its 200 hours in a game that seems designed to make you fail i can't enjoy the process.

I love doing massive grinds but this one doesn't get me going.

The online stuff sucks. Much like it did in the first RDR, granted it was much quicker, especially with the glitches. Gold medals really had it's moments of hell, much like GTAV. But I did like seeing the different paths and options I never knew about. That said, it fucking sucked when things went to shit.

Other than those two things, I didn't mind getting the Plat in RDR2. It took me two years to finally get around to doing it, mostly because I utterly hate the online. But for all the SP things, I really liked the journey. It's not even remotely everything in the game in order to 100% either. So I think they actually did scale it back a bit for 100%.

Hunting and collecting was of course tedious as these things always are in games. But I just dove into the world and treated it all as full on immersion. That said, I do agree it didn't need to be as massive and overwhelming. But I really didn't mind it in hindsight. If anything, I feel sad that the ride is over.

The biggest problem with the platinum for me was winning in dominoes in the gambling challenge. I just had no idea what I was supposed to be doing in it. Even the blackjack challenge people always bring up wasn't nearly as tedious as dominoes. Gold Rush was a bit rough, especially from the replay menu. You get an un-upgraded Arthur and an un-upgraded horse, so missions that have a time challenge were a bit crazy. Luckily I still managed to do it from the replay menu.

Also, this thread is a prime example of why trophies ruin games and I'm saying this as a person who loves trophies. If you feel like you are wasting your time getting trophies, it's not going to be worth it. If you are so worked up over a trophy set like some people in this thread, you really shouldn't worry about going for the platinum. It's that simple. I platinumed both RDR1 and RDR2, and they are my two favorite games of all time. Even after getting the platinum, I have replayed RDR2 almost two times. I also can't wait to get a PS5 so I can play this without my console sounding like a jet engine. 

I've just got to grind out 70 gold medals and 18 bear attacks. I just can't face doing it as I know its going to be such a grind.

Didn't mind the collectibles too much as i worked through them alongside my regular playthrough and i kinda enjoy games just exploring.

I agree though some of the things are just total bullshit. The online grind is such torture and you waste so much time just waiting for things to load!

• 4 weeks later...

The gold medals weren't that bad. You just have to use your dead eye like 110% of the time. Btw some of the other achievement missions do count when you finish them (even if they are no listed in the menu). In the end I had like 65 gold medals in the menu itself but the trophy popped anyway, 

The squirrel tho.... 1 hour for the chipmunk.... 6 HOURS FOR THAT DAMN OPOSSUM.. fucking killed each and every one after that...

Not to mention the damn bears.... I decided to study and skin all animals first.... Had to kill/skin 3 grizzlies and the 3th one was the one that actually updated my compendium. That damn game just didn't want me to skin grizzlies i guess...and after that I had to kill 18 more!!!! Why?

That Carolina parakeet spawned after 2 hours of riding from one spawn point to the other (and sleeping).

All other animals weren't that bad.

For the herbalist challenges i had to write down all plants and cross them out as i go because there isn't anything that tells you which one you've collected. And even tho i already had almost all of them updated in my compendium i had to collect them again...

Oh I hate orchids now....

50 lvl in the online isn't that bad. I'm doing legendary bounties, and $$$ and $$ one when the legendary one is on cooldown. I'm around lvl 40 right now, so in 2 days i'll have that,

My problem is with the pose free roam one. I haven't seen anyone doing mission... like at all. How can i do this one if no one is doing free roam missions?

The races were bad as well, i did them with my starting horse but i got really lucky and played with ppl that were just starting to play RDR2 (or kids). If you want to do this one without boosting it's totally possible. Just do in when it's most likely that kids will be online.. got it in like 3 days with 2-3 hours of playtime (again until i got lucky with my lobby). Stay behind -> let them kill each other -> then go for the 1st place.

I'm not mentioning the amount of bugs and tripping on non existing terrain tho.

In one of my bounty missions my targets were invisible... the only visible part was the rope that they were tight with...

if you make a camp there is a chance that your horse spawns in the air and dies.

and soo~ much more. It's actually painful.

Edited by werewolf0girl

I could have tolerated the RDO grind to level 50 because I quite enjoyed the online mode itself. But this was on the condition that it wasn't filled with loud-mouth griefers capturing and running you around on their horses, when they're clearly more levelled and prepared for PVP than you are.

But then the normal mode got tedious. It fixates so much on realism, as you said, that it literally became a cowboy simulator for me. Feeding your horse; all of those weird cores; the list goes on. Not to mention the classic Rockstar controller flaw where, when you decided to keep moving, your character decides to take just a few extra steps (just in case you change your mind, I suppose). Walking at a normal pace in such a huge world is a chore on its own. But you've got to do it because it takes from the realism.

Then I saw the requirements for the platinum. I found my first 3-star skin after about 2 hours of searching and I thought to myself "is this really worth it?"

Of course it wasn't. RDR2 made me go off Rockstar games.

I'm only here to see if RDO standalone has its own platinum. I would have bought it if it had because, as I said, I do still enjoy it. Unfortunately it doesn't and there is absolutely zero chance I'm going to try plat RDR2.

Edited by GarryKE

I finished the story and a year later I went for the platinum.

I’ve done much worse grinds in WoW tbh. There’s so much online guides and help now for the platinum.

The two big motherfuckers in this game are the squirrel trophy and getting all the birds for 100%.

I actually miss the grind from this game it’s not hard just lots of work.

just my opinion though I can understand people hate grinding because it’s a lot

• Like 1

I am currently missing 18 gold medals and 3 challenges to get the plat'. This plat requires dedication but is really not that bad. It is much longer than the first RDR but it is still fair and consistent. In particular, the gold medals are definitely okay if you are willing to do it (there are annoying missions but you can always avoid them for the trophy) and it is completely doable in replay now since weapons or best horse are available most of the time right now (there are still some very minor restrictions like the health jauges which are not completely full), I would even recommend replay now, just because of that. Meanwhile, going for a speedrun for this platinum would be unfunny and silly. In my opinion, this games asks for time to be really taken at its real location, a true masterpiece and definitely one of the best games of the generation.

Edited by djippps

On 12/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, PermaFox said:

LMAO---Love this thread when I need a good laugh on how some highly touted games just basically fail.  And, yes, I played the old PS3 RDR and that was a bit of a drag.  Glad I didn't go ahead and buy this pos.

The game is amazing. It's the trophy list that sucks. 

Edited by JoesusHCrust
  • Like 1