What is the most fun/fairly-easy, yet time-consuming/difficult platinum trophy?

zippydpt

any and all of the Earth Defense Force games.

Easy and fun to play, but then you try to go for the platinum and you gotta play the games a ton of more times on each difficulty for each class all the way to inferno and you gotta collect all the random drop weapons for the majority of them.

A majority of them are 500 hr plats.

I'm going for the hell of getting all the EDF plats.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
  • Like 2

I'm struggling to come up with a game that is fun, fairly easy, time consuming, and difficult. I'm going to assume that difficulty doesn't matter since fairly easy and difficult are opposites :P

I'd say Payday 2: Crimewave Edition. You have to complete all contracts on Death Wish, along with a lot of miscellaneous other trophies. It'll take around ~70-80 hours to platinum if you're playing naturally and not hardcore trophy boosting from the moment you start. Death Wish can be difficult, but once you get yourself a proper build and learn the maps and mechanics of the heists, you'll have a fairly easy time with it. If going for 100%, that's where the really time-consuming part kicks in. There's 68 DLC trophies, including trophies for reaching Infamy level 25 (infamy levels are this game's version of prestiging like in Call of Duty). Getting the 100% took me hundreds of hours but it's a really fun game, despite how frequently I would encounter bugs and glitches during heists.

Fun, easy and time-consuming has gotta be persona 5 royal. If you can get into that type of game it's a blast, has such a wonderful blend of Social-Sim and the combat and dungeons are actually pretty fun.

For fun and difficult, Catherine: Full Body was the most wildly unique game I've ever played. It is not extremely difficult, but if you choose to go through the rapunzel stages without a guide, and the randomly-generated challenge stages solo, it can kick your ass.

sorry if that's not what you're looking for, the title doesn't make any sense lol

• Like 2

The Witcher 3. Death March difficulty was fairly easy (despite dying to the very first enemy in the game!), and other than watching out for a handful of missable trophies, this game took a while to complete but was very fun the whole time.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, iceclouudd said:

Fun, easy and time-consuming has gotta be persona 5 royal. If you can get into that type of game it's a blast, has such a wonderful blend of Social-Sim and the combat and dungeons are actually pretty fun.

I second this. I've only gotten to the 2nd palace in the game and I'm already 23 hours in. This has already become one of my favorite games of all time and I'm sure it'll be consistently fun. This is easily going to be a 150+ hour platinum for me.

Hotline Miami. The game is difficult and unforgiving, but the platinum isn't that bad once you get good at it. I actually really, really enjoyed replaying the game for the platinum years later after I initially played it.

Disgaea D2. It's an ultra rare platinum, but it's just a time sink is all. I think if I redid the plat, I could literally cut my play time in half.

Rigs: MCL. This is by far my rarest platinum and I wouldn't put it in my top 10 hardest plats. The learning curve is steep, but after you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Velocity 2x and Velocity Ultra.

Both incredible games that are based on your skill and nothing else :)

Did them in a couple sittings myself. The DLC in Velocity 2X was easily the most difficult, found the touch teleport option on the PS Vita made those levels much easier.

My picks:

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - Banging fucking techno track that wraps around your brain, easy to get into because of the violence but a trophy list that proved a challenge. Beating Hard difficulty with everything mirrored took a lot of deaths, A+ ranking all the levels took a lot of commitment to pull off. Good indie title, would definitely recommend.

Rogue Legacy - Another indie game that is fun to get into with a somewhat difficult list. The second set of bosses required skill and commitment, particularly the red eyeball. Playing a game that is reliant on RNG and the dungeon layout being different every time adds to the difficulty. Definitely enjoyed this one.

Downwell - Did not like this as much as the other two but got it for free from PS Plus so I gave it a shot. Minimalist 8 bit NES style graphics with fast paced gameplay that requires skill. Another game that is RNG based, beating Hard Mode took many tries. Beating the boss on Hard was satisfying and compelling.

Bloodborne - First Souls esque game I got the platinum in, but far from the first Souls game I played. Some of the most iconic and original bosses in recent memory, the atmosphere and scope of this game is virtually incomparable. My favorite PS4 exclusive, and one that rewards you for displaying patience and perseverance on your part.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - One of my favorite games of this generation. Not as difficult as the others I've already listed, but it was by far the most time consuming. I ended up with around 135 hours played by the time I got all the trophies in this game. Did everything on Death March difficulty, so while some quests and enemies were annoying, nothing was overly difficult. Spent an entire month playing this game, every minute was worth it.

Super Meat Boy - Will probably forever be the most difficult platinum on my profile. Starts out fun and easy at the beginning, then becomes quickly difficult by the second area. A majority of people don't even have more than two - three trophies for this game which is proof of how difficult Meat Boy is.

30 - 40 hours attempting Impossible Boy alone.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove: One I plan to go back to finish the DLC. Awesome soundtrack, gameplay that is a combination of Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man and a little Castlevania.

Trophy list is difficult for people not well versed in platformers. A speed run trophy for beating the game in under 90 minutes gave me stress and pressure. Some feats/challenges such as beating an entire level without getting hit will prove to be a challenge for a lot of people. Enjoyable to casually play, but the platinum trophy requires some commitment and skill.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

As far as what I think the title means, I think it's asking for a game that is difficult, but a fair sort of difficulty where you can gain skill and it can become easier.  Not something that uses cheap tactics to be difficult and the ability to get the plat depends highly on luck rather than skill.

To me, a game that fits this well that many people wouldn't think of is Ys Origin.  It's definitely a lengthy plat needing 6 playthroughs minimum and grinding to max level on one of those.  The real challenge to it is beating the game on nightmare with all the characters and then beating boss rush on nightmare difficulty.  Boss rush is especially hard because your stats, equipment, etc. are set and you can't grind to move on.  You have to gain skill to be able to get past nightmare boss rush.  You have to become familiar with the characters and how they play and also with the patterns of the enemies and a solid strategy to take advantage of openings without taking damage.

To most people it's a pretty challenging plat.  To me since I've done the 100% on Steam and both stacks on PSN, it's easy.  I've got the game memorized, I know the boss patterns and have a solid way of beating the bosses that works for me.  It may not be the speediest method, but it works.  I'd not say I was anyone with any real skill.  To be honest when I first played it on Steam I didn't think I'd ever beat nightmare boss rush.  But I kept practicing and eventually got it down to the point where it's easy for me.

Thief : When I first played this game on ps3, I enjoyed it incredibly. The collectable items really waste a lot of time, but the game has a nice gameplay that keeps you alive. Also it is ultrarare. Next week, I will play it again in PS4.

Sniper Elite 3 : As I am fan of headshots, it's a delightful game. MP are time consuming but pleasant times. ( Ultra rare )

Just Cause 3 : I didn't even know what the story was and what our purpose was but I love the chaos and the blasting part of this game. Plat is also ultrare.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 : Imo, this was one of the most meaningful and special story in cod series. MP trophies have huge fun. Special ops and missions are not difficult if you find a good mate. I have to admit that the dlc part was a bit of a grind.

Medal of Honor Warfighter : This game has one of the most painful, unending and tiring mp trophies. If you meet with great mates, it will not be boring. The campaign and story was great. Hardcore was really hardcore. Die and restart from the beginning ! I spent 250 hours on this game. I don't regret a second of this game.

Call of Duty World War II : When I read the trophy guide and watch some videos about zombies, I thought not to start to this game because platinum was impossible for me but the dynamics of the game drive you to play constantly, and it doesn't bother you at all. Again thanks to great teammates, platinum is on the way with the pleasure. 

Edited by seyhano
sorry for my bad language
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 7:44 PM, Phantochi said:

What does this even means? lol

I know that it's a strange question, but not strange enough for you to not know "what it means".

lol

On 7/16/2020 at 10:09 PM, ResoluteRock said:

I second this. I've only gotten to the 2nd palace in the game and I'm already 23 hours in. This has already become one of my favorite games of all time and I'm sure it'll be consistently fun. This is easily going to be a 150+ hour platinum for me.

I have tried the original version of Persona 5, and it didn't really hook me. Maybe I need more time with it. Is this version different (gameplay-wise)?

On 7/16/2020 at 8:33 PM, guy who says bruh said:

Any game you like that takes long to beat.

Why even bother posting? I am all for comedy, but I seriously don't think it was even worth the time for you to post that dumb statement.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, NZBigC said:

The Witcher 3. Death March difficulty was fairly easy (despite dying to the very first enemy in the game!), and other than watching out for a handful of missable trophies, this game took a while to complete but was very fun the whole time.

I have the complete edition of the game, and I struggled with it on Death March. :( I can't even pass the first enemies.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:46 PM, ResoluteRock said:

I'm struggling to come up with a game that is fun, fairly easy, time consuming, and difficult. I'm going to assume that difficulty doesn't matter since fairly easy and difficult are opposites :P

I'd say Payday 2: Crimewave Edition. You have to complete all contracts on Death Wish, along with a lot of miscellaneous other trophies. It'll take around ~70-80 hours to platinum if you're playing naturally and not hardcore trophy boosting from the moment you start. Death Wish can be difficult, but once you get yourself a proper build and learn the maps and mechanics of the heists, you'll have a fairly easy time with it. If going for 100%, that's where the really time-consuming part kicks in. There's 68 DLC trophies, including trophies for reaching Infamy level 25 (infamy levels are this game's version of prestiging like in Call of Duty). Getting the 100% took me hundreds of hours but it's a really fun game, despite how frequently I would encounter bugs and glitches during heists.

What I mean by "fairly easy and difficult" is that the game is time-consuming, somewhat complicated, but not difficult in general. Thank you for the recommendation, though! Also, I own that game, and it has the worst performance I have ever seen on the PS4. Is there any way to fix it?

Completely contradictory thread title aside, Dragon Age: Origins is a cakewalk since there are no difficulty trophies, but it takes forever. Hell, the Golems of Amgarrak DLC trophy for beating the boss on Hard is completely trivial if you collect certain items in the main story and some of the other DLCs beofre going on to it.

9 hours ago, zippydpt said:

I have tried the original version of Persona 5, and it didn't really hook me. Maybe I need more time with it. Is this version different (gameplay-wise)?

What I mean by "fairly easy and difficult" is that the game is time-consuming, somewhat complicated, but not difficult in general. Thank you for the recommendation, though! Also, I own that game, and it has the worst performance I have ever seen on the PS4. Is there any way to fix it?

The gameplay for Persona 5 is the same in Persona 5 Royal, except there's a few small tweaks. I never played the original, but I read online that Royal added some new confidants, gave you more time to do in-game activities (such as letting you out on some nights where it normally wouldn't), and added some new Personas / balancing. I heard the changes don't stand out too much and the new content really picks up after the conclusion of the original game, so the entire introduction / first palace in the game is about the same as the original. If you didn't get hooked the first time, then I wouldn't advise getting Royal as most of the content is the same as the base game.

Payday 2 is prone to crashing and glitching somewhat frequently. Every few hours, I'd run into some glitch or crash, which definitely kills the game a bit. I'd advise the PC version since it's a bit better, but the game has some major flaws which haven't been addressed in 7 years still. I stuck with it because I found the gameplay and general premise really neat, but it's not for everybody.

Ignoring the latter contradiction in the title, I'd say:

• Tales of Berseria
  • Tales of Xillia
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
  • Persona 5
  • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Edited by Eraezr