Graphics Discussion - They are okay...

psycho_clank314

Haven’t played it but watching a stream was disappointed in what I saw for facial animation, very lifeless. And it was English so the lip sync wasn’t trash like I’ve seen. Otherwise looked pretty nice to me, but I only saw about 20m of the game. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, psycho_clank314 said:

Let me start by saying graphics are not everything to me and they don't have to be photo real to make a good game. Gameplay is what matters to me. I am playing on a PS4 Pro on the resolution settings on a 65" 4K TV in HDR. I feel like the ground texture is not all that great, the grass/plants/foliage is, but the actual rocks/roads seem dull to me. I also see a lot of "edges" in far away environments when exploring too. The reason I bring this up is that I feel like many people are saying "groundbreaking graphics," or "glimpse into what PS5 will look like," yet to me Horizon Zero Dawn looked better 4 years ago on the base PS4. Maybe I was spoiled by playing TLOU2 right before this? I love GOT so far and I feel like the devs were definitely not going for photo real graphics, which is totally fine. The aesthetic is on point and the art direction is incredible. 

What are your thoughts on the graphics/animations, etc?

Very rarely any early gameplay videos shown, ever actually resemble the final product. I havent started Ghost yet but i will say Last of Us part 2 was great in some areas, and others looked really bad.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, psycho_clank314 said:

Let me start by saying graphics are not everything to me and they don't have to be photo real to make a good game. Gameplay is what matters to me. I am playing on a PS4 Pro on the resolution settings on a 65" 4K TV in HDR. I feel like the ground texture is not all that great, the grass/plants/foliage is, but the actual rocks/roads seem dull to me. I also see a lot of "edges" in far away environments when exploring too. The reason I bring this up is that I feel like many people are saying "groundbreaking graphics," or "glimpse into what PS5 will look like," yet to me Horizon Zero Dawn looked better 4 years ago on the base PS4. Maybe I was spoiled by playing TLOU2 right before this? I love GOT so far and I feel like the devs were definitely not going for photo real graphics, which is totally fine. The aesthetic is on point and the art direction is incredible. 

Tbh i thought the same thing, fair enough im not playing in 4k like you are but i found the blood textures VERY VERY dull, like when its on Jins clothes and face etc it just looks last gen. Like you said graphics arent everything when the game is fantastic but its hard to see it considering how long it took to make. Nevertheless still a brilliant game. 

• Like 1

Yeah the graphics took a huge hit. I even noticed some slowdown if you didnt have the game in framerate, and chose resolution mode.

Combat is okay, So far i am enjoying it though. 

i agree with @psycho_clank314 as i too am on a 4k 65" HDR tv. So i unno. It is still day 1. They can patch it i suppose still...

I also think some companies are "phoning in" final builds because ps5 is looming. Instead of taking more time to polish a game designed for a ps4 and possibly lose sales the longer they take.

If this took 6 more months, would as many people care? i know i wouldn't. 

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Haven’t played it but watching a stream was disappointed in what I saw for facial animation, very lifeless. And it was English so the lip sync wasn’t trash like I’ve seen. Otherwise looked pretty nice to me, but I only saw about 20m of the game. 

What character's face did you see? I've been playing all day and the detail in main character's faces and cutscenes have a lot of detail. Beads of sweat, flaring nostrils, squinting eyelids,...a big mixture depending on what emotion is trying to be conveyed.

3 hours ago, psycho_clank314 said:

Reads like you are cherrypicking the negative comments from a Digital Foundry video and giving 0 credit to any of the positives. How is what you're doing a useful critique? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What character's face did you see? I've been playing all day and the detail in main character's faces and cutscenes have a lot of detail. Beads of sweat, flaring nostrils, squinting eyelids,...a big mixture depending on what emotion is trying to be conveyed.

Ive seen the full intro now, and while some cutscenes are better about it than others, the ones I saw again are still lifeless as when I first saw them. 

Spoiler

When Jin and that woman talk by the river, virtually no facial expression at all and they often do wide shots in that scene so they could’ve put that effort into the few close ups. 

and even some of the English lip sync is off. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

At least the game's size isn't 100+ gb 

Anyone else notice load times are pretty quick? I'm fast traveling and it loads in like 5-10 sec. Some fast travels don't even give me enough time to fully read the on screen tips.

The graphics are still decent, I'm playing it in Japanese so the lip sync isn't working out anyway. I can't stand the fake Japanese English accents. They hired Asian (American) voice actors, just let them use their natural accent. It's not like they were speaking English anyway in this time period. The voice acting is superb in both Japanese and English, but I can't say I agree with the choices they made. Japanese Jin sounds way older than he should be (which ultimately is fine because he was Solid Snake), while English Jin sounds right, but distracts me every time he puts a non-native English speaker accent. But then again, all is forgiven every time I get to slice a motherfucker up in a duel, stand off or just the standard open world fights.

Edited by ThaiChi
  • Like 1

I'm a bit disappointed as well by the graphics. Not as much that it would be an issue and it might really be because of high graphical fidelity that TLOU2 offered, but, amongst things already mentioned here, I think there is also too much of a soft focus on the graphics. I think they are too diffuse, maybe there is a bit too much Gaussian blur. (playing in Resolution mode) Makes it look a bit washed out at times.

Artistical choice, probably, and as I said, the graphics are not a game breaker at all. They are still incredibly nice but I must admit, I also think that Horizon looked better. And by better I don't mean necessarily "prettier" but it simply looked... more polished? Cleaner?

Graphically, GoT seems kinda rushed at some points and there is lots of asset reusal across the game as well. The latter is common in Open World games but - at least for the time I have played so far - in GoT, it seems (at moments) a bit too obvious. (stumbling across the same pile of murdered men multiple times on a strech of maybe 200m or so for example) Maybe it could have used a bit more time in the cooker.

And it's in close-ups, where it is apparent. There are moments like in the beginning, when there is a close up of a bloodied Jin lying on the beach, (the scene where he wakes up again) where it all looks a bit cheap - seemingly low res blood textures, his hand, etc.

https://youtu.be/l9tfpNPj3bE?t=555 see here at 9:15 until 9:30 (timestamp already in the link) ... the blood, the fingernails etc. It looks "good enough", I guess ... but "only" good enough. Much more is possible nowadays. (as a comparison, TLOU2 https://youtu.be/Z8_6V58UGFA?t=187 from 3:07 to 3:12... the blood on the guys hand, the hand itself... just looks better)

And yeah, there are definitely issues with the faces. Not so much with the graphical detail of the faces but with the animations. They sometimes just look ... off. Almost Uncanny Valley.

I think it's possible that, they didn't use facial mocap like in f.ex. Uncharted, where every cutscene etc. is played out by the actors and their faces are digitalised as well during that process. Maybe they are using some kind of software, that tries to animate the faces based on the voice output they are supposed to give or they simply animated them by hand. If someone has a source that proves me wrong, I'll admit that I'm wrong :) But I think there is definitely something wonky with the face animations. It's definitely not Mass Effect Andromeda levels of awful, oh no, far from it. But it's enough that, as I said, it feels "off" a lot of times. So I suspect they did not mocap actors faces for this game.

All this doesn't really matter though. I'm enjoying the shit out of the game right now :) But sometimes, there are moments where you think that the technical side of things could have been done just a little bit better. Doesn't spoil the fun but it's still a shame.

But maybe we are really getting jaded when it comes to graphics. Too much awesome stuff lately haha :) So we are nitpicking here, since GoT is a good looking game. But we think it could look even better.

I think the graphics focus more so on color and brightness than texture quality, which I think works more for the world the game is based. The yellow and green leaves/trees that I've seen so far caught my eye and impressed me more than anything in the beginning cinematic/cutscene where there's fire and blood everywhere.

Personally, I'd rather see a beautiful landscape/forest/lake over high-quality textured blood dripping off someone's taint.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

Graphics are about the presentation. I'm more concerned for the theme of the game and how it plays, as well as it's story and content.

As long as it doesn't play like shit and suffers from slow frame rate, what matters to me is how compelling Ghosts of Tsushima is. I'll worry about 4K definition and 60 FPS once the PS5 hits, but right now that isn't a priority for me.

21 minutes ago, ThaiChi said:

Anyone else notice load times are pretty quick? I'm fast traveling and it loads in like 5-10 sec. Some fast travels don't even give me enough time to fully read the on screen tips.

The graphics are still decent, I'm playing it in Japanese so the lip sync isn't working out anyway. I can't stand the fake Japanese English accents. They hired Asian (American) voice actors, just let them use their natural accent. It's not like they were speaking English anyway in this time period. The voice acting is superb in both Japanese and English, but I can't say I agree with the choices they made. Japanese Jin sounds way older than he should be (which ultimately is fine because he was Solid Snake), while English Jin sounds right, but distracts me every time he puts a non-native English speaker accent. But then again, all is forgiven every time I get to slice a motherfucker up in a duel, stand off or just the standard open world fights.

yeah i noticed it too. Apparently day1 patch was supposed to slow it a bit so you could read the hints lol

8 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

yeah i noticed it too. Apparently day1 patch was supposed to slow it a bit so you could read the hints lol

That's hilarious if that's the case. Maybe they should just do player input to return to the game. People might not realize they're ready to go and sit on it though. Kind of a good issue to have; loads too fast. If this is a taste of what PS5 is gonna do. I'm pretty damn excited.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, psycho_clank314 said:

First off Horizon Zero Dawn isn't 4 years ago and also keep in mind that Guerrilla Games uses the Decima (game engine). I agree though in some parts it doesn't look as good but I feel Ghost of Tsushima has more going on at times with the overall foliage and the fact there seems to be constant leaves and other stuff being kicked up and around or falling from the sky. I haven't noticed those edges you speak of in far away environments. It could also be my TV as well that makes the game look even better then most other TVs. I'm using the 65" LG C9. The Last of Us part II was f---ing unbelievable in every aspect. Beyond amazing graphics, loved the story, the controls were tight, didn't really like the dodge mechanic but it worked and the ambiance in the entire game had me on edge. The only thing I didn't like about the game was how much you played as Abby. It would have been fine if it was 2 chapters Ellie and then 2 chapters Abby - rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MAXTHUNDER said:

First off Horizon Zero Dawn isn't 4 years ago and also keep in mind that Guerrilla Games uses the Decima (game engine). I agree though in some parts it doesn't look as good but I feel Ghost of Tsushima has more going on at times with the overall foliage and the fact there seems to be constant leaves and other stuff being kicked up and around or falling from the sky. I haven't noticed those edges you speak of in far away environments. It could also be my TV as well that makes the game look even better then most other TVs. I'm using the 65" LG C9. The Last of Us part II was f---ing unbelievable in every aspect. Beyond amazing graphics, loved the story, the controls were tight, didn't really like the dodge mechanic but it worked and the ambiance in the entire game had me on edge. The only thing I didn't like about the game was how much you played as Abby. It would have been fine if it was 2 chapters Ellie and then 2 chapters Abby - rinse and repeat.

okay im not putting a spoiler tag, cause TLOUP2 is old news now, when u see Ellie in the fight in the theatre. When shes hunting you, is the hair bad quality? it looks bad imo. As does when her hair is wet. Other than that tho i did love the game.

In the making of Horizon videos, they describe making environments that are "ultra-realistic", environments that strive to look better than real life. Of course GoT, which is stylized realism at most, would fall flat in that comparison. And to be fair this is the nicest looking game Sucker Punch has ever made, whereas Naughty Dog and Guerilla have had years to hone their realistic graphics and facial mo-cap in titles like Uncharted and Killzone.