Graphics Discussion - They are okay...

psycho_clank314

5 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Yes, it is an English game. 99% when a game is re-dubbed into another language that mouthflaps don't match the new language. 

? I’m literally talking about the English lip sync, not the Japanese. That’s why I said English lip sync, not Japanese. Honestly. 

edit: and having now played the intro and a bit more myself, stand by what I said. Key cutscenes get the attention to facial animation, but the rest are virtually untouched in the facial animation and it’s a shame given the dialog so far for these instances isn’t as weak as Horizon, so it’s be nicer if it looked as good as the rest.

id say some transitions from cutscene to gameplay are also pretty jarring in the lighting. Like when you first get your sword back. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

I haven’t gotten the game yet, currently unemployed due to COVID, but I did watch Karak’s Walking the Walk video. The game looks absolutely amazing. 

And? I am unemployed since years and I bought it. That can't be the real reason.

As far as Graphics are concerned i'm not disappointed in the quality.  Fighting mechanics are fun and I think they did a lot right.  I like some of the kill animations particularly the slow mo.  I also love the approach they have taken with collectibles and points of interest by having things that lead you to them the birds the wind, etc.   More games need to do this instead of making people watch a youtube video to find a bunch of collectibles that ae hidden like a needle in a haystack across a 500 acre map.  

Despite everything I like at the root of it you have a open world game.  Nothing really that different here.  It's a small step up from playing the yearly or now bi-yearly edition of Assassins Creed. Sadly, when I'm taking over an enemy outpost in this I feel exactly like i'm playing Odyssey or Origins.  I'm finding the missions a bit dull.  Go to talk to this person and follow some tracks and fight a few guys etc.  By the time it's over I don't see it being that memorable.  People making comparisons between this and horizon zero dawn i'll probably take Horizon as the better game overall.  At least shooting components off giant animal like machines using different elemental effects and such is varied and different from everything else.  This really isn't.  Like I say a slightly better version of Assassins Creed.   At least the missions in this game seem to have some purpose where as an Assassins Creed game is compromised of about 10 meaningful missions than a bunch of fetch quests.   I certainly wouldn't give GOT anything above a 7. 

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed by the graphics but I guess the main reason is having played TLOU2 until a few days ago, that set the bar so high that GoT could only be inferior. It is still a beautiful game and some landscapes are breathtaking, the low quality textures of some buildings and terrains are annoying but overall easily forgettable in such a vast and fascinating world. It is clear that Sucker Punch wasn't aiming to extreme realism here, and took a more artistic approach to the cinematography of this game.

The game is fun anyway and I'm sure I will enjoy the platinum.

9 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

? I’m literally talking about the English lip sync, not the Japanese. That’s why I said English lip sync, not Japanese. Honestly. 

edit: and having now played the intro and a bit more myself, stand by what I said. Key cutscenes get the attention to facial animation, but the rest are virtually untouched in the facial animation and it’s a shame given the dialog so far for these instances isn’t as weak as Horizon, so it’s be nicer if it looked as good as the rest.

id say some transitions from cutscene to gameplay are also pretty jarring in the lighting. Like when you first get your sword back. 

I am not playing in English. Can't speak to that.

Sorry about your issues though.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:35 PM, griffin123456789 said:

The world looks gorgeous, the colors pop, the UI isn't cluttered with icons, the frame rate is good in FPS mode and the load times are instant. I honestly can't complain. If you skip cutscenes in LOU2, you're treated to like 25 or 30 seconds of loading. I respect Sucker Punch because they're one of the few console developers who respect the boundaries of the platform they work on and prioritize style over realism. I wish more developers were like this. We expect everything to look photo realistic without realizing the technical annoyances that comes with.

This. After RDR2, I'm starting to appreciate when delevopers do "videogamey" stuff. Like, Jin doesn't even bend when picking flowers, and the way he uses his bow is just "swoosh, heres a bow out of nowhere". Loved those lack of details on such animations, somehow.

I agree that the ground textures look a bit flat, but I honestly don't care. Did a side quest where I fought a woman in a field of violet flowers, and the petals dancing at our feet..man, that was beautiful.

I'm playing on hdr, resolution mode. The color palette is pretty simple...and yet, it looks fuckin gorgeous.

I'm beginning to think that this game biggest problem is it's release date. While I understand that all games try to convey emotions through detailed facial animations, we can't compare ND and Santa Monica work with open world titles. Those are narrative driven games, with camera so up close you can almost smell Ellie's breath. While the other, like GoT and the new AC have more broad and faster combat, which requires a bigger field of view. Could be better during cutscenes? Yes, but I think it gets the work done the way it is.

Also, my first game from Sucker Punch was Second Son, and the UI on that game is blatantly horrific. It looks like a dogs diarrhea after a night of drinking coffee and taco bell. Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand...I wanna make a baby with the menu, is that normal?

Edited by kaltezhan
  • Like 2

For me it is one of the best looking games and i think it looks better than TLOU2. I did not like the Film grain Look there. I am playing on a LG CX65 Oled TV and i am blown away by the visuals. Espacially the sun and wheathereffects. The only Thing that looks Terrible are rocks and Water.

• Like 1

I don't know what you're smoking cause this is one of the best looking games on PS4. It has stylized graphics rather than ultra-photo realistic like TLOU2. Sure TLOU2 is gorgeous too but to me they're not even comparable as they are both going for different things.

Loving it so far, can't wait to get home from work and play some more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I don't know what you're smoking cause this is one of the best looking games on PS4. It has stylized graphics rather than ultra-photo realistic like TLOU2. Sure TLOU2 is gorgeous too but to me they're not even comparable as they are both going for different things.

Loving it so far, can't wait to get home from work and play some more.

listen, nobody is saying that it looks bad and it definitely has his moments - just check out the photomode thread!

But it definitely lacks polish! Maybe it's because of the pandemic and they didn't had the resources towards the end that they would have needed and Sony didn't want to move the release date. A month or two more can work wonders. I stumbled upon cliffs that had black holes in them because textures were missing or wooden carts that only had a collision detection through one half of the cart and you could simply walk through the other half etc. ... stuff that usually gets picked up and remedied during the "polish" face of game development. Add to that the odd graphical inconsistency (like: smokebomb effects look amazing, water just looks "okay"...) and you gotta admit that sometimes - not all the time, but sometimes - it just feels "rough". Especially the sea water, which is weird because a lot of the rivers or ponds look actually quite good. But the sea looks like something I build in Dreams :D (*cough* cheap plug https://indreams.me/dream/mBiJudAmDxP *cough*)

A friend of mine put it perfectly in my opinion. He said "the game is gorgeous but it doesn't look like a Sony Exclusive, it looks like a multiplatform title." And I think that's spot on.

But even when we talk about multiplatform titles... have you seen the Blood and Wine DLC in the Witcher 3? That is over 5 years old already and it still looks absolutely gorgeous - some might even argue that Toussaint looks better than anything Tsushima has to offer. And that was a multiplatform game! And don't get me started on how it looks on PC.

Tsushi really looks good and if it would have come out with these graphics 5 years ago, everybody would have lost their minds. But it's probably not the best looking game on PS4. Hell, Cyberpunk is still coming... ;)

Also, please understand that most people don't critize the art(style) or that the graphics are stylized or that it's very colourful. It looks great for the most part! The criticsim is more aimed towards the technical execution.

And as I said in a previous post, it does not ruin the game or the fun at all. But we are on a videogame board, discussion the first worldlies of first world problems ;D

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 2

The game is stunning.  It certainly is one of the better looking games made this gen.

No it isn't quite HZD, or TLOU.  It is just slightly beneath them.  Let's not forget that TLOU isn't open world.  And HZD had quirky facial animations.  Which is okay, the game was still great!

But damn the game is fun, and the story is awesome so far.  Sucker Punch nailed it.  I am so happy for them.  I can't imagine what a new inFamous would look like.  

Edited by NxtDoc
Spell check, additional thought

10 minutes ago, domp4484 said:

People misremembering Horizon already. The facial animations on the side quests were awful. Loved that game too but Ghost is right up there with it as best looking open world games 

When a game looks great, that's also when things that don't look as good as the rest of the game, will be most jarring.

Horizon's faces btw weren't exactly amazing either. However, as a Sony Exclusive and the therefore accompanying hype, Ghost has to live with the fact that it will be compared to other Sony Exclusives. Now we know that Sucker Punch is not Santa Monica or Naughty Dog but the "mainstream"  customers out there don't care or know. They played Uncharted 4 or God of War or TLOU2 and then they will compare Ghost to these games. And after TLOU2, a lot of players will be jaded. Horizon did not have that kind of high standard to compete against back then. I imagine Horizon's reception would be less favourable nowadays then it was back then - still speaking about the graphics/technology ONLY, not the gameplay, fun, world, story, whatever ;)

2 minutes ago, NxtDoc said:

I can't imagine what a new inFamous would look like.  

It helps that they broke out of an urban setting. So I hope they don't return to it for a long time. GoT build a solid foundation, they should bring an amazin Ghost 2 for PS5 but take all the time they need to make it two times more amazing than anything they did before. They are clearly capable!

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

This game is a must buy! ☺️ Last game i really enjoyed this much was a game called a plague tale innoscence!

But this game!!! Gooosh, it is a masterpiece! Ill give it easily 10 out of 10 ☺️ it is easily the best exclusive game this generation! If not the best GAME?

My opinion!

Edited by DividedByMankind
  • Like 1

I think you nailed it with The Last of Us Part 2. I had the EXACT same thing happen after playing Death Stranding for over a hundred hours then going straight into Jedi Fallen Order. I noticed that the graphics were shit, the voice work was pretty jarring, the animations were a bit janky, the environmental graphics were just not quite as polished, etc. and I am experiencing the same thing with Ghost. Anyway, I'm still loving it and it still occasionally blows me away with the art direction. might be one of my new favorite games ever to be honest.

• Like 1