Graphics Discussion - They are okay...

psycho_clank314

Outside of some few things like for example the water at times and a couple of others, this game looks amazing overall in terms of open world. I've gotten 5gbs worth of photos already. I seriously need to stop doing that, i'm not even past act 1 because of that and running around the world doing side missions. I haven't been this impressed by an open world since looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 and before that, Horizon Zero Dawn. I prefer world of Tsushima overall over both those games even tho those games may be better terms of consistency. And this games loads hella fast.lol. I haven't seen an open world game like this on consoles that looks this good, that loads this fast.

Edited by AlphaExGAT
  • Like 1

This game is amazing. It has definitely lived up to the hype so far. I'm already in Act 2 and the graphics keep blowing me away. They're breathtaking and absolutely gorgeous. The art direction is some of the very best I've ever experienced in a game...it's almost poetic at times 

Edited by Fearless0610
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, SiXDenso said:

A lot of you are either blind or crazy because it's clearly one of the best looking console-only games of all-time.

or you haven't played a lot of games ;)

believe me, when I first thought "hmm, it seems that the graphics are a bit wonky" I was thinking it was just me. Then coming online and seeing this thread being opened, I realised it was not just me and that there must be some issues. There is a reason why no such trhead exists for TLOU2 - because no one is thinking that there are graphical issues with the game.

I mean, maybe if it would be looking like the vertical splice they presented back in the day, no one would even come up with the idea of saying that it has some issues.

Nobody is saying it looks bad. But it has things in it that don't look good, which are more jarring and obvious since the rest of the game looks great! Consistency is the keyword here.

I hope for a port to PS5 in a year or two that runs with the graphical quality of the vertical slice - I would double dip for that!

Here's the vertical slice I mean:

P.S.: Also, in my opinion, RDR2 looks better. I'm talking about graphics fidelity and technology, not art and style.

Edited by Sicho

I don't understand calling it a downgrade. It would help if the video attempted to describe the issues they notice.

To me, the 2018 version is a vertical slice mostly taken from the second area(you won't see those kinda of trees/canopy until the second area) of the game while the 2020 trailer is based on the first Act. The 2020 video shows more combat options/styles than the 2018 version. A lot of the visuals boil down to getting the right reflection, fog, and environmental stuff right.

Different? Sure. 

Downgrade? Get your youtuber here to describe what is supposedly downgraded. 

To the topic of the graphics being dull? lmao. nope.

Edited by TJ_Solo

On 7/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, TJ_Solo said:

What character's face did you see? I've been playing all day and the detail in main character's faces and cutscenes have a lot of detail. Beads of sweat, flaring nostrils, squinting eyelids,...a big mixture depending on what emotion is trying to be conveyed.

Reads like you are cherrypicking the negative comments from a Digital Foundry video and giving 0 credit to any of the positives. How is what you're doing a useful critique? 

I would have to agree with you here sounds like the op is a crybaby.I've finished the story and the graphics are phenomenal.I dismissed everything he had to say when he said he was on hzd 4 years ago when that games not even 4 years old

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

Different? Sure. 

Downgrade? Get your youtuber here to describe what is supposedly downgraded. 

really now? I mean come on, now you are just blindly defending.

It doesn't even take seconds to realize there is a huge difference in the level of detail, foliage quality, texture quality, draw distance, AA ...
The slice obviously ran on a PC with everything cranked up to max.

The game looks great but it has some technical weaknesses and it could probably look better with a bit of polish and more time. Why can't you understand that people like the game and think it looks great but are at the same time capable of admitting that a 2020 release could (and probably should, if it is an exclusive and hyped as "a glimpse of what to expect of PS5" and similar things...) look even better in many aspects.

Hell, there's some stuff that could probably be easily changed with a patch. But I suppose it would probably run worse then and that's why there's no such patch yet. Or they simply don't want or cannot spend the necessary resources (pandemic and all...).

I mean it looks awesome most of the time, but not all the time. That's all there is to it.
And I don't think people are too nitpicky with this. A lot of people, especially if they are also playing on PC, are used to a very high standard of quality by now. And they might even become a bit jaded. And they will spot those inconsistencies easier than others and it will probably bother them more than others.

That doesn't mean that the game sucks or looks like shit. I think it looks great, but not mind blowing. If it had come out three, four years ago - different story. But we are 2020 now and som,e things are just weird in this game graphically. I mean, you can have a moment where it looks absolute stunning and is up there with the best ever seen on PS4, and then you rotate the camera and stare right at bad textures or shitty water or low poly foliage. It's... I don't know.... shizophrenic :D

And many people in forums and many articles and reviews mention this as well. While it might be subjective how much this bothers someone, it is objectively present, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people talking about this. Again, no such discussion about TLOU2 or God of War... because there wasn't an issue.

I play around with Photomode a lot and I enjoy the game. But still...

It is awesome when it looks like this ...

... with the water looking good ...

... and disappointing when it looks like this ...

Ghost-of-Tsushima-9.jpg

It's just not consistent with its quality.

Again: great ...

versus ... meh ...

Personally, my biggest gripe is with the water ... I love it when games have amazing water, which was also always a sign of how far tech has come (remember Morrowind?).

The water in that last screenshot is... sorry... shit.

BUT AGAIN: we are NOT bashing the game! At least I'm not. I'm having a great time with it right now, I'm in photomode a lot and I'm enjoying myself. However, there are always moments where I think "ah this could have been made to look better" - which is something, you might have in every game you play. But in this, it happens way more often than anything I played recently.
It's not an issue and it won't stop me from playing and it won't make me hate the game or anything... but it is a shame and I simply just go "aww, that's too bad" at some points. And mostly because I simply think that it could have been done a bit better. The expectations are not unrealistic or too high. I don't expect it to look like something on a high end PC with two RTX 2080TI in it. But I simply expect that in 2020 at the end of the PS4's lifecycle, water should look better in an AAA exclusive title than it does in the last screenshot! Mostly because many games before this already did it better ... even multiplatformers.

Edited by Sicho

On 7/19/2020 at 10:50 PM, kaltezhan said:

This. After RDR2, I'm starting to appreciate when delevopers do "videogamey" stuff. Like, Jin doesn't even bend when picking flowers, and the way he uses his bow is just "swoosh, heres a bow out of nowhere". Loved those lack of details on such animations, somehow.

I agree that the ground textures look a bit flat, but I honestly don't care. Did a side quest where I fought a woman in a field of violet flowers, and the petals dancing at our feet..man, that was beautiful.

I'm playing on hdr, resolution mode. The color palette is pretty simple...and yet, it looks fuckin gorgeous.

I'm beginning to think that this game biggest problem is it's release date. While I understand that all games try to convey emotions through detailed facial animations, we can't compare ND and Santa Monica work with open world titles. Those are narrative driven games, with camera so up close you can almost smell Ellie's breath. While the other, like GoT and the new AC have more broad and faster combat, which requires a bigger field of view. Could be better during cutscenes? Yes, but I think it gets the work done the way it is.

Also, my first game from Sucker Punch was Second Son, and the UI on that game is blatantly horrific. It looks like a dogs diarrhea after a night of drinking coffee and taco bell. Ghost of Tsushima on the other hand...I wanna make a baby with the menu, is that normal?

Honestly I wish people wouldn't judge a game so much by nitpicking missing graphical details like Jim not bending when picking flowers.

I feel like I'm one of the select few people in this world who can play games without feeling too hot and bothered with graphics. It's easy to say inFamous Second Son has okay to poor graphics now but that is an early PS4 exclusive. Look at Knack 1 and Killzone: Shadowfall today. You can't compare them to stuff like Ghosts of Tsushima or even stuff like Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Five - six years is a long time in the technology world, what used to look great to everyone now looks more like shit. I don't care if people say Dead Space 2 looks like a pile of shit now, I still immensely enjoyed the game for what it was and people did in fact say it was impressive when it came out.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and The Last of Us Part II have a much smaller scope and are basically linear, which means Naughty Dog was able to convey better looking characters with the resources they used. Ghosts of Tsushima and Assassin's Creed Valhalla are big open world games and you lose some of that graphical detail.

Ubisoft tried to make Assassin's Creed Unity look impressive and the result was a pile of shit that had numerous bugs and glitches on top of having poor framerate. They downscaled a bit with Assassin's Creed Syndicate by having less NPCs and less impressive looking backgrounds. Syndicate for me was a much more enjoyable game.

From what I hear Ghosts of Tsushima is a worthy game Sucker Punch spent years working on. I couldn't care less if the characters and a number of details don't look as good as The Last of Us Part II. Open world games don't have that kind of detail, but they'll be surpassing that with the PlayStation 5.

Then there's just the way the developers handled a game and their expertise. I compared Red Dead Redemption 2 with Days Gone and RDR2 easily beats it in the graphics department. Rockstar Games since Grand Theft Auto IV has always made games with pretty good visuals despite their games being open world. Grand Theft Auto V was the best looking open world game on the PS3/360, and when it got onto the PS4 it looked a whole lot better. Given the scope of the game, that's quite impressive from Rockstar.

Bend Studios had one notable handheld game prior to Days Gone, so they're not quite as experienced as Rockstar is.

Ghost of Tsushima's menu is just okay in my opinion.

• Like 1

Well, I don’t know, I think they look gorgeous. Sometimes I have to stop to assimilate how beautiful this game looks. 

I had a few problems with textures at the beginning, but the more I played the more they seem to be fixed, and scenarios are looking better the more I play. 

Plus, almost no loading times. Kudos to them, they made a great job in my opinion, tell me one game that looks this good and doesn’t have loading times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing this immediately after TLOU2. When I first started playing I was like “wow it doesn’t look good at all” so I can understand the sentiment. However, after putting in a few hours and taking the time to explore around, I have completely changed my tune. Besides some water effects, the game simply looks amazing. I’m running it on a Sony 75” 4K TV and on a PS4 Pro. 

• Like 1

I think the game is stunning and I am running it on a regular PS4 so I cannot use my Samsung Curved TV's 4K, I currently don't own a USB flash drive to put my shots on here but I have done tons and I did some for TLOUS 2 and the graphics were great but the film grain filter they added was kind of annoying, which the first game didn't have and neither did Uncharted.  Where as these are crystal clear and crisp.  I think the lighting is stunning too, I don't see any issue.  

On 7/17/2020 at 10:07 PM, LegacyJKO09 said:

okay im not putting a spoiler tag, cause TLOUP2 is old news now, when u see Ellie in the fight in the theatre. When shes hunting you, is the hair bad quality? it looks bad imo. As does when her hair is wet. Other than that tho i did love the game.

Again nothing looked to terribly bad. I don't know if you're also playing on the PS4 Pro or not but I am and along with my TV nothing looked out of place.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, alexandra-jane09 said:

I think the game is stunning and I am running it on a regular PS4 so I cannot use my Samsung Curved TV's 4K, I currently don't own a USB flash drive to put my shots on here but I have done tons and I did some for TLOUS 2 and the graphics were great but the film grain filter they added was kind of annoying, which the first game didn't have and neither did Uncharted.  Where as these are crystal clear and crisp.  I think the lighting is stunning too, I don't see any issue.  

You can turn off the film grain.

6 hours ago, MAXTHUNDER said:

Again nothing looked to terribly bad. I don't know if you're also playing on the PS4 Pro or not but I am and along with my TV nothing looked out of place.

You can turn off the film grain.

im on a ps4 pro and high end 4k tv. but yeah i beat Tsushima,  it looked better towards the end. But still was a noticeable downgrade from the original gameplay videos. I also think all the yellow leaves looked dumb.

PS4 Pro on a Monitor (Ghost in Performance mode).

For me this game was gorgeous and honestly was in a category of its own when it came to style. TLOU killed it in facial animations and cutscenes but I don’t feel it spoiled Ghost for me at all. The cutscenes were great, and the art was beautifully crafted. Environment was vibrant and stunning.

If you want to nitpick then yeah the water wasn’t super great... facial animations on NPCs were lacking outside of cutscenes. But who cares when the vast majority of the game is so crisp and clean!

As a side note can I just say the audio was ABSOLUTELY fantastic? Because it was.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 21.10.2020 at 2:59 AM, SiXDenso said:

A simple click of my profile would have shown you that I have played over 100 more games than you and have three times more platinums than you. Thanks for playing though.

Dude, get out of here. PlayStation represents not even tenth of my collection :P I play and collect videogames for almost 30 years now :P