Apple's $1000 "Stand"

BadRep24

Apple has such intense cult-like sway over its consumer base they could sell electroplated facsimiles of any of Steve Jobs' bodily excretions and more than a fair few would buy it no questions asked.

Going by said logic, this is the most logical and sensible product in the world.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AK-1138 said:

Apple has such intense cult-like sway over its consumer base they could sell electroplated facsimiles of any of Steve Jobs' bodily excretions and more than a fair few would buy it no questions asked.

Going by said logic, this is the most logical and sensible product in the world.

?

9 hours ago, Kishnabe said:

Sheep will buy. PC better than Mac.

Android over Iphone.

Half of the money you spend on a mac, could get you the same specs on PC.

Pretty much not wasting too much money on a MacBook, when I still have this second-hand, 7-year-old Lenovo laptop. Apple's products are considered expensive to begin with, and not worth the money. Their creativity is pretty much dead in the water, after Steve Jobs died. And I've pretty much stopped using iPhone in 2016, in favour of a $60 CAD Android phone like Alcatel, which was purchased at my local mall. And this kind of PR blunder they did just shows that they are out of touch. I mean, who would pay $999 for just a stand?! I'm wondering what kind of drugs they were.

Edited by BadRep24

9 hours ago, Kishnabe said:

PC better than Mac.

That's true, especially university students, even those who study computer science. Why can't they get a PC with Linux if they would like to do their coding assignments

:Picks out the $1000 stand, ignores the $5000 monitor this stand pairs with and the $6000 (minimum) computer used to drive the monitor

:Then proceeds to imply that *any* of these products are aimed at people who are fine with a "7 year old Lenovo laptop"

Well, this is just a shitpost thread, no point in replying with anything logical. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Apple products will always carry an iTax, but even then, this is unjustifiable. A monitor stand should be maybe $100 at most, no more. For the price of a Mac, you could probably have a PC with TWO Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti cards.

And this is why I would never spend a buck on Apple. Not because I said so for reasons of being a complete jerk, but by seeing this kind of questionable practice they pull off ever since Jobs died and Cook being the interim CEO and later becoming one, they would only end up alienating their own customer base furthermore into oblivion, especially after they removed the headphone jack on iPhone 7 and later products. A $1,000 monitor stand is another example how Apple has become out-of-touch with its customer base.

• Like 1

My mother and I are the proverbial Apple nerds over here, as we don't purchase anything from Microsoft for personal reasons. We also kind of have money. We're not wealthy by any means, but my mother is a nurse, so we do okay (I'm still in her home because I'm unfortunately bedridden after a bad car accident and can't physically care for myself at this time). However, personally, I think Apple's desktop computers are way beyond even our expectations, much less anyone who makes less money than we do. I just redid my entire room with new paint, crown molding, wood flooring, brand new furniture, a new fan, a 50-inch LCD TV, and decor for about $6,000. There is no way I'd spend that on a single desktop computer when I can get a fully-loaded Apple laptop that I can bring with me anywhere for half that and still have money left over to get a PS5 and such. It's silly.

20 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

A $1,000 monitor stand is another example how Apple has become out-of-touch with its customer base.

Apple still sells the iMac and Mac Mini as well as the Macbook, they sell to all sorts of customer bases. You're ignoring that companies can have multiple types of customers. They had G4/G5 towers and cinema displays at roughly the same price ranges when Jobs was around, at his direction upon returning from to Apple and creating the workstations that Pixar used to make their first movies.

While I'm not personally into Apple products and agree they're way overpriced when compared to similar spec'd Windows PC's and laptops... I totally understand the appeal.  Conceptually it's kinda like what I'd like to get out of a dedicated Linux machine, if Linux had even half of its mainstream appeal and support.  Kind of an exciting deviation from the norm, and in some ways the technology is pretty cool the way certain Apple products can interact with other Apple products given its own closed ecosystem.  You pay a premium for it, but for most of us these are either tools for work or new toys to play with.  In either case, if you like it, if you have a use for it, and you can afford it... why not.

And I think it's kinda silly we still have threads like this where people apparently suddenly realize Apple products are overpriced for the first time and just use it as an excuse to crap on it and pat eachother on the back. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 10:32 AM, BadRep24 said:

And this is why I would never spend a buck on Apple. Not because I said so for reasons of being a complete jerk, but by seeing this kind of questionable practice they pull off ever since Jobs died and Cook being the interim CEO and later becoming one, they would only end up alienating their own customer base furthermore into oblivion, especially after they removed the headphone jack on iPhone 7 and later products. A $1,000 monitor stand is another example how Apple has become out-of-touch with its customer base.

The only reason Apple is still doing okay is because people buy the label. They slap the Apple logo on their products and people still shell out money for them.

There is an Apple store not too far from where I live and before COVID-19 hit, I usually saw several customers inside. Even getting an Apple technician/representative to fix your shit is expensive. All of their products are overpriced, and most of them aren’t that great. 

I can get more from a modern Android smartphone than an iPhone. The Apple desktops are a complete waste of money. Their iPads aren’t any better. 

Apple is a brand that sells because of the label. It made history because it was one of the first companies to take advantage of digital music after Napster went under, under the vision of Steve Jobs. With him long gone, the company is trending water. 

I can do more with a Windows PC than an Apple computer. That may not of been the case 10 - 15 years ago when Apple had a number of computer programs that were decent, including graphic design. But the competition caught up. 

I will say 5 - 10 years from now, Apple will either be greatly struggling, or be completely out of business. Just like Blockbuster.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The only reason Apple is still doing okay is because people buy the label. They slap the Apple logo on their products and people still shell out money for them.

There is an Apple store not too far from where I live and before COVID-19 hit, I usually saw several customers inside. Even getting an Apple technician/representative to fix your shit is expensive. All of their products are overpriced, and most of them aren’t that great. 

I can get more from a modern Android smartphone than an iPhone. The Apple desktops are a complete waste of money. Their iPads aren’t any better. 

Apple is a brand that sells because of the label. It made history because it was one of the first companies to take advantage of digital music after Napster went under, under the vision of Steve Jobs. With him long gone, the company is trending water. 

I can do more with a Windows PC than an Apple computer. That may not of been the case 10 - 15 years ago when Apple had a number of computer programs that were decent, including graphic design. But the competition caught up. 

I will say 5 - 10 years from now, Apple will either be greatly struggling, or be completely out of business. Just like Blockbuster.

I have to disagree with this one. Everything I have is Apple and I do not buy anything for a name/label. Well, maybe one thing, but it's not from Apple (I love my Versace sunglasses, lol). Apple recently became the first company in the world to record a market capitalization of one trillion dollars and they're at $1.3 trillion now. Not even Amazon is worth that much, though it's getting closer.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2020 at 4:18 PM, Kishnabe said:

Sheep will buy. PC better than Mac.

Android over Iphone.

Yep, I don't understand why anyone would to to buy a Mac over a PC, you're just paying for the Apple name at this point. But the Mac heads will still waste money on this crap, I guarantee many of them queued up for this stand. 

In 2016 my grandfather wanted to buy me a Mac, he'd been having a drink with a friend of his and he was telling my grandfather how great they were. He always loved to spoil me but when he said he'd buy me a Mac I said no, buy me a new PC instead, which he did, he spent $2000 on it. I'll never want to own a Mac, they look pretty but that's it.... 

• Like 2

I don’t find Appel to be bad at all in my opinion the only downside with the phones for exemple is that the battery life is not that great....so I sometimes need to charge my phone multiple times cause it’s the most advice I use throughout my day. But I found a solution to have a powerbank with me in case I need to charge in my way home.

The prices are overrated in my opinion I think the most fun part is people who need to uppgrade their devices as soon as they launch something new it’s ridiculous in my opinion since everything looked pretty much the same but I don’t blame anyone at all.

If I would buy a computer one day I would definitely go with a PC and not an iMac ?

I dunno what Macs you're all buying, but I have two MacBooks (one for home, one provided by work), and I would never go back to a PC. My machine works fine, runs fast, doesn't crash for no reason, doesn't force me to call up Microsoft technical support when something goes wrong, and is compatible with all my devices and peripherals.

Can I get a machine with the same specs for cheaper if I build it myself? Yeah sure... but it wouldn't be a laptop, and I'd have to run either Windows or some Linux distro, and I just do not have time to fart around with preventing my computer from crashing constantly. I want it to "just work" so I can do whatever I needed a computer for in the first place.

• Like 2

It does amuse me how much time people spend thinking at all (to post a message online, even) about a company who has less than 10% market share in computers and less than 14% market share in smartphones.

It’s pretty easy to completely ignore them and everything about them and yet people can’t help but talk about Apple like they’re fighting Apple’s dominant force. But 86% of phones are already Android, plenty of other options there. And 90% of computers aren’t Macs. That’s not even counting building your own at any price point or specification. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FearlessElle said:

I think the most fun part is people who need to upgrade their devices as soon as they launch something new it’s ridiculous in my opinion

I'm an Apple user and never bought into that, myself. I upgraded when I needed an upgrade, not when they launched a new one. I had an iPhone 5 for years and then switched to a 7 and then to an XR. I haven't even touched the others except for the first ones that ever came out (I had an iPhone 1, obviously). lol 

2 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

I dunno what Macs you're all buying, but I have two MacBooks (one for home, one provided by work), and I would never go back to a PC. My machine works fine, runs fast, doesn't crash for no reason, doesn't force me to call up Microsoft technical support when something goes wrong, and is compatible with all my devices and peripherals.

Yep! As for my laptop, it's been beat up and banged around because I carry it everywhere and it never crashes and never gives me trouble. The only reason I have had two Apple laptops in my lifetime is because our house was robbed back in 2013 and they stole my first one. I'm upgrading to the new Macbook Pro soon just because I want one with all the top-end specs so it can handle gaming, but I've had this one for almost 8 years and I've never had a problem, never had a virus, and never had to install any anti-virus software.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

It does amuse me how much time people spend thinking at all (to post a message online, even) about a company who has less than 10% market share in computers and less than 14% market share in smartphones.

It’s pretty easy to completely ignore them and everything about them and yet people can’t help but talk about Apple like they’re fighting Apple’s dominant force. But 86% of phones are already Android, plenty of other options there. And 90% of computers aren’t Macs. That’s not even counting building your own at any price point or specification. 

I find that many people are just butt hurt that some people have more money than they do and choose to spend it on themselves. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is one of those that feels this way, but I have definitely seen the attitude in many others. I think it's pretty ridiculous that in a Western world where anyone can become anything they want if they're willing to work for it, people spend more time complaining about high-priced products and the people that can afford them than they spend working to become one of those people themselves. Everybody wants something for nothing. I actually actually have a job lined up in performance arts that pays well that will be ready and waiting when I recover. Good things come to those who wait work.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Kristen Danielle

Apple has stopped supporting 32-bit apps, or legacy software, with macOS Catalina. If you're upgrading to Cat, keep Mojave available to use in a virtual machine.

Money isn't a problem for me, and I've always believed in "you do you". I am just finicky about what I splurge on. Rather than put $1000 into a monitor stand, I'd rather take a $100 one then use the leftover $900 towards a high-end video card and a RAM upgrade. Right now I'm considering a Nvidia 30 Series card, possibly the RTX 3080. My guess is that this will come in at about $800 like the RTX 2080 did. Nvidia 30 Series cards should start showing up by the end of 2020.

Granted, this monitor stand is for a specific monitor, the Pro Display XDR 32" 6K (6016 x 3384) which costs $5000. If Apple had packaged the stand and monitor together for $6000, there probably wouldn't be so much flack thrown at it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Granted, this monitor stand is for a specific monitor, the Pro Display XDR 32" 6K (6016 x 3384) which costs $5000.

This is the part people gloss over. They act like the “$1,000 stand!!!” is for their $129 monitor that can be picked up at Wal-Mart.

On 8/13/2020 at 11:07 PM, Kristen Danielle said:

I have to disagree with this one. Everything I have is Apple and I do not buy anything for a name/label. Well, maybe one thing, but it's not from Apple (I love my Versace sunglasses, lol). Apple recently became the first company in the world to record a market capitalization of one trillion dollars and they're at $1.3 trillion now. Not even Amazon is worth that much, though it's getting closer.

I don't care how much Apple makes or how much they have in terms of value. I used a Macbook for several years, then gave it up for a PC and never looked back since.

Apple made history with the iPod and later iPad. Got my fair usage out of both products and was overall satisfied. I probably bought $1000 worth of songs on iTunes over the years so I definitely did not use chump change on Apple.

If we were still living in the Windows XP/Windows Vista days, I would say a Macbook is a better long term investment because it is more reliable. As much as I loved Windows XP, it had a multitude of problems. Windows Vista also had issues, I tried using it for a number of college courses over a decade ago and ended up scraping it.

I prefer Windows 10, it's a good system when used right and it does everything I want with it. Apple, Linux, doesn't matter.

Apple hit it's high point in the early - late 2000s. But since the death of Steve Jobs I can't see a good future for this company. Their CEO is a clown and purely a business man. There is very little innovation left within Apple.

Of course fans of Apple are going to say they will disagree with my statement, but take this as you will. I stopped supporting Apple a long time ago, and have no real further use for their products.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I don't care how much Apple makes or how much they have in terms of value. I used a Macbook for several years, then gave it up for a PC and never looked back since.

Apple made history with the iPod and later iPad. Got my fair usage out of both products and was overall satisfied. I probably bought $1000 worth of songs on iTunes over the years so I definitely did not use chump change on Apple.

If we were still living in the Windows XP/Windows Vista days, I would say a Macbook is a better long term investment because it is more reliable. As much as I loved Windows XP, it had a multitude of problems. Windows Vista also had issues, I tried using it for a number of college courses over a decade ago and ended up scraping it.

I prefer Windows 10, it's a good system when used right and it does everything I want with it. Apple, Linux, doesn't matter.

Apple hit it's high point in the early - late 2000s. But since the death of Steve Jobs I can't see a good future for this company. Their CEO is a clown and purely a business man. There is very little innovation left within Apple.

Of course fans of Apple are going to say they will disagree with my statement, but take this as you will. I stopped supporting Apple a long time ago, and have no real further use for their products.

That's very much your right as a consumer in America. I do agree that compared to Steve Jobs, the current CEO is a bleeding heart piece of work who thinks he's advancing real social change by doing stupid crap like changing the pistol emoji to a water gun to "discourage gun violence" (my actual Ruger never killed anyone and I can guarantee that my pistol emoji never did), but that kind of stuff could also be said about Bill Gates and a ton of others. It really just comes down to preference and I think when it comes to real innovation, the nod should go to neither Apple nor Microsoft, but to Russell Kirsch.

• Like 1