Is there an explanation of the Paper/Ruler Pool trick?

sepheroithisgod

I have read plenty of mentions, but there are no actual guides or explanations that I could locate for the paper/ruler trick in pool. I'm having a hard time since the ball seems to have a mind of its own.

Some times the trajectory straight-up lies and misses completely.

Edit: I was able to get the completion points. The advice I can give is to get a piece of paper and cut the ball you are hitting in half from where the white ball hits it. That should be the trajectory of the ball. It worked maybe 50% of the time, but I just kept at it and got lucky.

Edited by sepheroithisgod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Can someone explain the paper thing?

This is the last thing I have to do. It’s rubbish this hasn’t been patched.

Take a ruler (Recommended) or a sheet of paper (I wouldn't recommend this since it can crumple and it's see through) and put it so that it overlaps the center of the ball you're trying to hit and the center of your aiming reticule ball. You're going to have to quadruple check a lot of the time because you have it off just by a bit or it doesn't feel right, and you have to adjust the aim a lot then check again because of that. It will give you the general idea of where the ball will fly forward but you need to understand that hit strength also plays a major factor in if the ball will go straight at all (Hitting above like 50% strength will cause it to veer off course or even hit the ball you're trying to hit incorrectly).

There's also going to be a point of playing the minigame enough where you'll be able to freehand some of the balls that don't need to go more than a few inches away but anything farther will require the ruler trick. The most important thing is to never put a spin on the ball, never hit past like 50% unless it's on the shot to determine who hits first (It's about 70% of the pool cue in) or on a break shot, and never rush. Rushing will get you to cause the ball to spin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soliunasm said:

Take a ruler (Recommended) or a sheet of paper (I wouldn't recommend this since it can crumple and it's see through) and put it so that it overlaps the center of the ball you're trying to hit and the center of your aiming reticule ball. You're going to have to quadruple check a lot of the time because you have it off just by a bit or it doesn't feel right, and you have to adjust the aim a lot then check again because of that. It will give you the general idea of where the ball will fly forward but you need to understand that hit strength also plays a major factor in if the ball will go straight at all (Hitting above like 50% strength will cause it to veer off course or even hit the ball you're trying to hit incorrectly).

There's also going to be a point of playing the minigame enough where you'll be able to freehand some of the balls that don't need to go more than a few inches away but anything farther will require the ruler trick. The most important thing is to never put a spin on the ball, never hit past like 50% unless it's on the shot to determine who hits first (It's about 70% of the pool cue in) or on a break shot, and never rush. Rushing will get you to cause the ball to spin.

Thanks. The trouble is really just the spin. I tried using a pen on the right stick but I did horribly with that.

The trouble is just Expert Eight Ball and it’s because I always have a ball that’s either unmakeable or far away and the spin ruins it. I’ve been up 4-0 and if I miss once he makes 6 straight. Ugh.

I hate blaming the controls but it’s the controls.

6 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Thanks. The trouble is really just the spin. I tried using a pen on the right stick but I did horribly with that.

The trouble is just Expert Eight Ball and it’s because I always have a ball that’s either unmakeable or far away and the spin ruins it. I’ve been up 4-0 and if I miss once he makes 6 straight. Ugh.

I hate blaming the controls but it’s the controls.

Yeah, the controls are bad in this specifically, I don't recall PS3 3 doing the spin thing at all on the right stick so it might be yet another glitch in the Remastered version. The only way to avoid it is to not hit hard (As that gives a higher chance you divert from directly straight on the right stick when you let go from farther away) and try avoiding anything but a directly center hit from the stick which is why a lower power hit is better as you only have to pull back, at most, half way.