Did anyone genuinely dislike this game?

Dreakon139

Spoilers abound so stop reading if you're afraid of such things.

I feel like getting into this with someone. I had a pretty lengthy argument on the Gamespot forums with a fellow that felt this game was so poorly written that it ruined the game for them. Granted there are holes in the story that may be glossed over or left to the imagination, or areas not as well explained as they probably should've been.

I'll try and list a few of his better points...

The guilt-ridden father taking precious hours away from searching for his son to have sex with a girl he met a few days ago. Bad writing, or a look into Ethan's character and judgement?

Never really explaining what Ethan does in his blackouts, or why he has the origami figures. Or maybe they did explain it? I don't remember lol.

At one point Shelby wishes it would stop raining because of his asthma. I'm guessing he probably doesn't really want it to stop raining, does he? :P

Anyways, he had a whole long list, most of it easily debunked (why Ethan didn't call the police throughout the story, why Norman didn't bring other cops with him to Mad Jacks, etc), but I would love to find someone around here who really didn't like the game for some friendly/heated gaming banter. :)

loved it... as a dad i played the first time through as if i was saving my own daughter and it was brutal... trying to put myself in Ethan's shoes was a hard thing to do...

over all the game was amazing... story... gameplay... graphics... Madison Paige... whats not to like?

• Like 2

1) Ethan's a heterosexual male that is extremely stressed and has been divorced for 2 years. Can we blame him for having sex with Madison? :P

2) Early in the game, Ethan has a blackout with Shaun in the park and ends up in the middle of the street with Shaun abducted. So sometimes we get an explanation. The origami figures he makes, but that wasn't explained as to how, and when. In multiple epilouges Ethan makes dozens of them (and then kills himself, but I digress)

3) Nothing Scott says early in the game is his actual intention.

Believe me, I'm with ya. As I argued with this guy though, I did get the feeling like I was trying to find reason where writer laziness and/or oversight may have been a factor... but whatever. As I said to him, it's a shame he didn't enjoy such a great game.

• 5 months later...

Hmm. I don't think there are writing flaws at all. It's all up to the player to make the sensible decisions. I never had Scott complain about the rain. Also, I almost didn't have Ethan bone Madison because it didn't make sense to me...but the option was there and I'm a dude...what are you gonna do? I did just beat the game last night so, it's all fresh in my mind still. However, I didn't get the :platinum: yet. I didn't know about Ethan making origami figures. I'll be getting to the multiple endings within time. But one would think that making origami figures would have been something Ethan learned during his blackouts.

loved it... as a dad i played the first time through as if i was saving my own daughter and it was brutal... trying to put myself in Ethan's shoes was a hard thing to do...

over all the game was amazing... story... gameplay... graphics... Madison Paige... whats not to like?

Thats how I played my first time around. As a dad myself, this game had so much meaning for me.

The only "unexplained" part to me was the blackouts. We knew why Ethan was having them, but why did he see what he claimed to during these blackouts.

Other than that, the story fit very well together.

• 1 month later...

I loved Heavy Rain. Noir games/murder mysteries/games like Heavy Rain (it's really the only one of its kind as far as I know, outside of maybe Indigo Prophecy, haven't played that yet though) are right up my alley, so I guess that's why I liked it. It was really cool when you pieced together who the Origami Killer was.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've just completed the game and i have to say i seriously do not like this game, there is nothing to do no challenge just nothing in it... although i've got most of the trophies i do not want to play it again just to get the multiple ending trophies. anyone else feel the same? if there is anything good its probably the story and Madison in her tight jeans lol

I enjoyed it a lot. Still, I'm willing to admit that it was full of plot holes, especially towards the end, which would have been unforgivable if it were a film. As a game though it's brilliant and unique and well worth playing. Hopefully Beyond will have better writing.

Edited by Crimson-Cobalt

Also when Madison escaped the Origami killer's apartment, she somehow has the option to call Jayden even though they both had never met each other and Jayden only knew she existed from the DNA in Paco's room. Didn't make sense when I saw that option to call him.

Also when Madison escaped the Origami killer's apartment, she somehow has the option to call Jayden even though they both had never met each other and Jayden only knew she existed from the DNA in Paco's room. Didn't make sense when I saw that option to call him.

The plot holes people are mentioning relate to parts of the story that got cut.

For Madison being able to call Jayden, in the original plan for the game, Madison had many chapters at her reporter job working on the case before coming to the motel (since they were cut that's why Madison shows up so late). In those scenes she interacts with Jayden. Technically, in the story as is she can meet Jayden if she gets arrested.

For the blackouts, those were suppose to be scenes where the dad is swimming around in a dream-like sequence. He was supposed to have a psychic connection to the killer, seeing what he does and moments of his past, etc. So the origami figure was sort of a materialization from a memory of the killer folding origami or what have you. This concept was cut to keep the game more realistic, but the blackouts and the figure in his hand was left as a red herring to make many suspect he was the killer.

So, it's not so much bad writing but rather oddly edited writing. I do find it frustrating that they left a few plot holes in the story intentionally, but it was a great story even with them.

• Like 4

Post Deleted: Sorry guys, I thought I clicked on the Overrated/Underrated Game discussion thread. I have not played Heavy Rain, so I shall not comment.

:|

image.png

Definitely worth the pick up, Dan. It's worth every penny and is a pretty easy plat too. At least watch a playthrough of the game, it's that emotionally engrossing and delivers an experience unlike any other. Still in my top 5 of all time and one of the games I do regret selling so much, probably regret the most. I fucking loved this game. It's that damn good.

• Like 1

:|

image.png

Definitely worth the pick up, Dan. It's worth every penny and is a pretty easy plat too. At least watch a playthrough of the game, it's that emotionally engrossing and delivers an experience unlike any other. Still in my top 5 of all time and one of the games I do regret selling so much, probably regret the most. I fucking loved this game. It's that damn good.

Wow! We seem to like similar games, so the next time I get a buy two get one free coupon from Gamestop, I shall have to get this game. :)

The plot holes people are mentioning relate to parts of the story that got cut.

For Madison being able to call Jayden, in the original plan for the game, Madison had many chapters at her reporter job working on the case before coming to the motel (since they were cut that's why Madison shows up so late). In those scenes she interacts with Jayden. Technically, in the story as is she can meet Jayden if she gets arrested.

For the blackouts, those were suppose to be scenes where the dad is swimming around in a dream-like sequence. He was supposed to have a psychic connection to the killer, seeing what he does and moments of his past, etc. So the origami figure was sort of a materialization from a memory of the killer folding origami or what have you. This concept was cut to keep the game more realistic, but the blackouts and the figure in his hand was left as a red herring to make many suspect he was the killer.

So, it's not so much bad writing but rather oddly edited writing. I do find it frustrating that they left a few plot holes in the story intentionally, but it was a great story even with them.

I see now. Thanks for the explanation.

• 8 months later...

I've just completed the game and i have to say i seriously do not like this game, there is nothing to do no challenge just nothing in it... although i've got most of the trophies i do not want to play it again just to get the multiple ending trophies. anyone else feel the same? if there is anything good its probably the story and Madison in her tight jeans lol

The Story was the Point

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The story was ok, but predictable. Gameplay (if you can call it that) was dull and movement was clunky :/ It would've been ok despite all those things if the characters were interesting, but nope...

I couldn't help but compare it to Walking Dead, a much better game, with characters you care about, and an interesting premise and setting.