New to the multiplayer - need tips

I am currently at the end of week 4 on my first journey (hunter), so I would expect to be starting to improve my skills. However this is not the case for me, I am struggling to get kills or even downs. I have tried different loadouts to no avail. As soon as I try to shoot an enemy they get me as soon as I come up out of cover. Other times I am shot from out of nowhere and I am left to spectate the other players who make it look so easy running up to enemies and killing with a melee attack. If I do get to shoot an enemy it has no effect.

Could anyone please advise me on what weapons to use and how the loadout system works, and the best way to build up my skills

Does it get easier as you level up? I am currently level 3. Also do you have to re-upgrade your weapons at the beginning of each match?

I really want to be good at this and get the trophies. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's been a while since i've done Last of us, but i remember a few things:

Run to the first loot box as soon as the game starts, use crouch right after

You should be crouched most of the game. Walking should be used sparingly and running should only be used to save your life

Mark your enemies! Click R3 and they're highlighted for you and your teammates

Smoke bomb + shiv = shiv from any direction. If they're disoriented you can just run up and shiv them from the front. But make sure they're alone

Bombs are best when planted by tapping R2 in a discrete location

Bombs planted by the enemy can be marked by clicking R3 while aiming at it

Mark all the time by aiming an enemy and clicking R3. You get points for it and it lets your teammates know where the enemy is

While aiming with L2, press R1 to swap shoulders which can help you see around corners

Upgrade your primary weapon early on in the game, because it stays with you throughout the match

Upgrading your melee weapon makes it a one hit kill

Don't split up! Stick together so you can heal each other if someone goes down. Running off by yourself is a good way to die

If you are downed and around teammates, crawl to cover. Teammates should move out of the way to let you by

If you are downed and alone, crawl to make the enemy waste their ammo and unless they're silenced they reveal themselves on the radar

Don't craft med kits, learn the locations of med kits on the maps, so when crafting you can focus on offensive weapons

Listen often in small bursts, try to focus on an area and listen where you're heading, then let go

put a silencer on your weapon as soon as its available. There are no downsides to having a silencer

the revolver is the best sidearm, as it only takes 3 body shots to down, and if you get a head shot it's only one more body shot and they're dow

But the most important tip: dont forget to run up and teabag those you kill.

Edited by Phantochi
  • Like 1

Really depends on what you are hoping to get out of the MP.

If you intend to play for a long time and do multiple journeys, buy the weapons and skills DLC packs. They aren’t expensive and the weapons and perks are probably worth it to reduce the aggravation. Most top players are using the shotgun, crossbow and burst pistol. The upgraded weapons are really OP - you will be pumping them with bullets and they will one hit kill you.

On the other hand if you just want do the two 12 week journeys for trophies then you’re done, I would suggest focusing on support. I use the shotty and the burst rifle, and my load out allows me to focus on crafting and explosives. Every 2 crafted items gives you a gift item - stay with the good players on your team, gift them items (focus on opening the boxes as you move around the map), and support them by reviving them or helping with kills when they get attacked or find stragglers from the other team.

Skip matches when you can, and using the above you should be getting a ton of supplies - certainly more than enough to keep a clan of 20-30 alive. The linked MP guide gives you what you need to know - only try to succeed on the 100% risk missions.

I’m on week 5 of the second journey and am now getting 3-5 downs and executions most matches. No where near the 10+ of the rank 999 players but I’m going for my MP trophies and getting out of this with no intention to play it again.

I'm basically in the same boat as you. For newbies like us the matchmaking component can be very harsh.  What I've started doing that has helped is to keep backing out of matches where I'm put in a match with high end opponents.  Learn to read the player icons.  It will tell you the number of weeks completed and the how many 12 week cycles a player has completed.  There are some good guides that tell you how to read them which I found helpful.  I personally try to get matches where all players that have somewhere between 0 and about 200 week completions (the players level number tells you that and 3-4 or less, 12 week cycles completed (Noted by the icon next to the number).  // represents a total newb with no cycle completions.  // and a number of dots is 1, 2 or 3 cycles completed.  These players are early in their Last of Us MP career.  I put more stock in cycle completions a player has than I do raw week completions.  I'm more likely to dodge a match with players with 10+ or so cycles than I am high week completions but no cycles completed.  999+ weeks and 10+ cycle completions are sweaty players and should be avoided if there are more than 1 or even 2.  Very many of these type players in the match is going to equal us being killed before we get to shoot anyone or having our targets shot before we can pull the trigger for a down.  These players tend to have the best weapons unlocked which means they kill you faster.  I also disconnect out of a match that is half over already no matter what, if I'm joining a match already in progress.

'O' allows you to back out before the match has started loading and 'PS' + 'Close Game' basically registers as a disconnect which negates your current match but doesn't advance any time in your cycle which allows you a "do-over" for the day.  You do lose any one use bonus' you've applies doing this just so you are aware.

Doing this has allowed me to find matches where I am not at a complete disadvantage so that I can learn good tactics in the game and get a few downs and executions because I'm better matched to players at my skill level.  It takes longer this way because you may have to back out of several matches but allows you to safely advance through a cycle as you learn your way through the controls and how best to approach the MP environment.  In the long run I feel like I'm making better progress doing this than just excepting the match making portion of the game.

Patience and stealth works much better.  Run and Gun tends to get us newbs killed quickly.

Go with Revolver and Semi-Automatic Rifle.  Both weapons are 3 body shots to down and unarmored player.  For skills go with Reviver, First Aid, Crafting and Explosive Expert at first.  As you get more comfortable you can try other skills you feel better suit your play style.

I also DON'T recommend you teabag anyone.  Makes you look like a total idiot if you only get 1 to 5 downs in a match and doing it will just get you killed as it will alert nearby enemies to your presence because your name will pop up red when you come out of cover to anyone watching.  I personally take great satisfaction when some dweeb teabags me (a Last of Us MP newb) and then gets shot doing it by one of my teammates.  Otherwise the other responses above are giving good advice.  I guess what I'm saying is do not assume you are alone just because you don't see someone while listening and/or no bullets are flying.  Motionless enemies could be hiding unseen and you moving up and down will let them know where you are for sure.

I hope this helps.

Edited by TheCatHerder42
Updating with better information for the OP
  • Like 1

I finished all the single-player trophies 2 years ago and have been dreading the MP trophies. I finally dove back in this week and I've just followed the Multiplayer Missions Guide on the site and it's been surprisingly stress free. It's a lot of what has been said above, pure support class. The only change I made from the suggested loadout in the guide was swapping out First Aid for Reviver. I get more than enough points from gifting alone to keep a clan of 30-40 going without any problem. 

And pay attention to the missions. Make sure you save your easy objectives for the missions where 100% population loss is a risk. Ignore the missions that increase your clan size. 

• Like 1