Ratalaika Review

Yo, cool to see that much action on here.

I got nothing on tomorrow until like 2 or 3pm so I'll probably throw up another 10 or so then if I remember. 

Counting a couple I haven't yet booted up, I think I'm just shy of 30 total. Spoiler alert though, I really fucking liked Cybarian, Neon Junctions, and Twin Robots. Oh, and Shadow of Loot Box, which I very nearly bought on Switch for a laugh before I realized it too, had an easy plat. Bugger it wasn't on Vita because I'd have had fun replaying it too, instead I plat'd it on an alt. account and the missus' account. Point being, some of the best games are gonna be done up tomorrow. And a couple lesser ones, but tbh, most were pretty bloody enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 11:33 AM, Spaz said:

I just wish they made you play to the end.

We got a section for that, but I just counted and of my stack played all together, it's actually an exact 50/50 on if you have to finish them or not which is crazy.

On 7/23/2020 at 0:23 PM, AffectatiousDonk said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy nice write up, it is a refreshing change to see an actual critical reasoned opinion. Ratalaika is only the publisher these games all have interesting stories behind their developers. Many of the Developers that have published with Ratalaika have managed to use the $ the games make to pay off student debts, further studies or go on to refine and make new games. It is great to see the success both Ratalaika and the devs have enjoyed over the last few years.

I hope you find more gems in the catalogue, who knows how many little fuckers might be worth a look, then look forward to you sharing them with the general fuckers on this site that so enjoy expressing their views

Look, I'm older and have more money to waste than I did as a youth, but then, I also am way more of a tightarse so it evens out. I see a game that looks halfway fun for a halfway decent price, I'm interested. 

There's 8 more of those fuckers now.

On 7/23/2020 at 0:25 PM, DaivRules said:

I chuckled at your suggestion 

Are you not amazed it hasn't happened yet though? I kind of am.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:53 AM, Mayellie said:

I don’t care about Ratatouille games or their trophies, but boy, was this fun to read. You have a certain “no bullshit, here’s how it is” attitude about these games. xD

You should see me when I'm not trying to keep it brief. It stops being fun (for the listener) then.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:06 AM, Cryogenicide_X said:

Some of there games are enjoyable.

Yeah boy! Get in, one of the nicer comments about Rata so far lmao.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:06 AM, dieselmanchild said:

The issue that many in the trophy hunting community has with Ratalaika games is the ridiculously easy trophy lists & stacks attached to them, not the games themselves. Like them or not, I don’t think any rational person can successfully argue that they haven’t done a lot of harm to this community and the leaderboards, which is the actual reason why people take issue with them.

With that said, I found your post interesting, and a nice deviation from the usual debate in Ratalaika posts. It’s pretty rare to see a thoughtful discussion about the actual games themselves rather than the consequences of their trophy lists. 

I think you make a pretty good case for some of them, but unfortunately not enough to convince me to actually put any of these on my list. A valiant effort though! 1f609.png

Look, leaderboard wise and shit, yeah I absolutely see how you can be annoyed, but in general, they're cheap enough that the people who are riding high on the leaderboards (who usually seem to have plenty of time and money based on their lists) shouldn't sulk over it. Sure you can say the average trophy rarity on a profile will go in the bin, but then if you care about rarity above all else, you'd never touch Rata would you?

We only have thoughtful discussion in this house. Fuck fuck fuck shit. Thoughtful.

Super Destronaut, Shadow of Loot Box, and Twin Robots. If I had to pick 3, those are the 3 I think are best out of what I've played thus far, Twin Robots being there surprised me too. If they don't look like they're at least a fun time to you, then yeah, they ain't gonna have dick for you, buddy.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:44 AM, integra_93GS-R said:

I had a bad addiction to the easy trophies for a while there, mostly to pass up one of my real life friends who was talking shit! I gave it up about a year or so ago, but I will agree with you that they released quite a few games that were actually worth playing! My favorites were Devious Dungeon 1 and 2. I didn't see them on your list, but those games were both a lot of fun and I very much recommend them!

I don't actually have those ones, the lowest they were in the last couple sales was like 4.50 and 5.50 or so each and I was like, eeeeeeeh. But if you reckon they're alright I'd give them a look when they're both had for under a fiver. I know nothing about them though, what kind of game are they, like genre wise? Better yet, do a whole review and save me the time. 

On 7/24/2020 at 5:12 AM, FFATMA said:

One rata game I'm playing right now and having a blast with is League of Evil.  I actually very much recommend it as a fun game regardless of whether you're getting it for trophies or not.  There's actually some challenge to it, even though the overall plat achieved rate is still in the 60% range for this site.  Actually, now that I think about it, a 60% plat rate on a rata game is quite an oddity!  It's basically a "get to the end of the stage in under x amount of seconds to get 3 stars and collect a briefcase in each stage along the way" type of game.  I'm not the worlds best platformer by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the later levels in just chapter 2 are taking me 50+ attempts.  The restart after you die is lightning fast though, so it's not bad at all!

Yeah, I have that on Switch actually, but once again, never got around to finishing it. I got a free code for it from a site though admittedly. At first kinda felt like a poor man's Bro Force, in a good way though.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:31 AM, dieselmanchild said:

I can’t answer this myself as I don’t play these games, but I wonder  - what is the point in being a “trophy hunter“ when you remove the hunt from the process? 

It makes me feel better about my mother never loving me and my small cock.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, ShadowSigmaX said:

I appreciate the effort you put in this thread OP. Of the ones you have listed I have Inksplosion, Super Destronaut DX, Metagal, and Fullblast. I enjoyed them alot. Loved Fullblast and Super Destronaut since I enjoy those types of arcade games. I actually had a bit of trouble with Inksplosion at the time. Metagal kind of bugged me from a trophy stand point. I didn't like how you could get all the trophies in the first couple levels. I completed it though. Foxyland and Foxyland 2 were also enjoyable as platformers. I even had some trouble beating the first Wolf Brother in Foxyland 2. While I understand the hate Rata games get from the community, it doesn't really bother me much since I don't care about leaderboards at all.

Inksplosion is one I got real close, I got like 90 odd out of 100 kills, several times to finishing only to fuck up and have to retry for another half hour or so, we love a good lil arcado challenge. 

Both Foxy games are in my wishlist, they were the same sale situation as Devious Dungeon a couple comments above with the price and interest being a bit restrictive, but I'll probably get around to them sooner or later.

Leaderboards can blow me until for my 10th anniversary on this site they decide to throw my LBP2/COD flags in the bin and let me back in. But no, leaderboards mean fuck all. I finished up a bunch of games and then bought a shitload of these Rata games and I'm already teetering on the highest I've been in 5 years or so when I gave up caring, you absolutely can buy your way up the ladder, not to the top, but a good deal up. 

On 7/24/2020 at 9:28 AM, ladynadiad said:

*snip*

Literally all of this

On 7/24/2020 at 9:36 AM, RedDevil757 said:

Unfortunately a lot of gamers see the retro graphics and immediately think that equals crap.

Look I'll be honest, the 3D Rata games, Access Denied, Bouncy Bullets, Shadow of Lootbox, etc. all feel a shitload higher quality. I love a good throwback, but so many god damn shitty indie platformers and eventually you'll steer clear too. 

11 hours ago, Cerber108 said:

Problem is most players buy them for trophies, not for gameplay.

And that's why I'm here. If you're gonna buy trophies, you may as well at least buy the most fun trophies. 

• Like 1

yeah right gg ratailaka .

at least we all know trophies are useless and have only personal meaning.

I have 72 rata plats and very proud of it because I bought it with money I made off selling maryjane

Edited by PrimitiveRetro
yo
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:56 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I don't actually have those ones, the lowest they were in the last couple sales was like 4.50 and 5.50 or so each and I was like, eeeeeeeh. But if you reckon they're alright I'd give them a look when they're both had for under a fiver. I know nothing about them though, what kind of game are they, like genre wise? Better yet, do a whole review and save me the time. 

Devious Dungeon and Devious Dungeon 2 are a hybrid of a platformer and RPG with randomized dungeons.  You explore dungeon floors and kill monsters.  As you do so, you gain experience and money to upgrade your hero.  Takes about 3-4 hours to plat depending on your skill and does require completing the game for the plat.  The second one also has three different classes so you get some replay value for the second stack by being able to play as a different sort of hero.

I'd also go ahead and toss in a recommendation for Ultra Hat Dimension.  Just finished that one up and it was a cute little puzzle game.  About an hour to plat and you don't need to finish it for the plat, but you'll have to finish over half the game and it actually got pretty tricky towards the last few levels needed for the plat and I ended up seeking out a YouTube guide to figure some out.  It has 75 total levels and 45 are needed for the plat.  Once that one goes on sale it will be a steal since the regular price was only $5.

On 7/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, ladynadiad said:

Devious Dungeon and Devious Dungeon 2 are a hybrid of a platformer and RPG with randomized dungeons.  You explore dungeon floors and kill monsters.  As you do so, you gain experience and money to upgrade your hero.  Takes about 3-4 hours to plat depending on your skill and does require completing the game for the plat.  The second one also has three different classes so you get some replay value for the second stack by being able to play as a different sort of hero.

I'd also go ahead and toss in a recommendation for Ultra Hat Dimension.  Just finished that one up and it was a cute little puzzle game.  About an hour to plat and you don't need to finish it for the plat, but you'll have to finish over half the game and it actually got pretty tricky towards the last few levels needed for the plat and I ended up seeking out a YouTube guide to figure some out.  It has 75 total levels and 45 are needed for the plat.  Once that one goes on sale it will be a steal since the regular price was only $5.

Well I've just done the 21st, I have up to 26 to do at the moment, they might just sneak in before the 30th comes along, assuming a sale comes along (Hint, hint @RatalaikaGames). Nah that sounds pretty cool, I'm not really into randomized / procedurally generated stuff myself though, there's been times I don't mind it like No Man's Sky, but then there's stuff like Immortal Redneck where it just feels like they were too lazy to make a real level on their own. 

Ultra Hat Dimension. I'll give it a Google in a short while. Puzzle games are a bit iffy too, I got a couple for the curiosity, but if I was to buy them quite often it would be pretty obvious why I was buying them. And it rhymes with Sophie's. As for the $5 bit, not so much here in Australia, a lot of them are around the 7.55 mark, some even over a tenner and that's when I'm like I ain't even bothering until there's more than 50% off in a sale. Then there's some like Midnight that was like 3 bucks normal price, but they are the exception more than anything. For a fiver (AUD) I'll check it out, a lot of the newer ones go on sale for around 4.55 it seems, which I'm not too fussed with for 2 copies of the game, assuming I actually have interest in it. As of yet, I've bought none just for the trophies, and I'd like to keep it that way for at least a hot minute. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey losers, I'm gonna do my best to do a couple more tomorrow and round this out (until the next sale and I buy more anyway)

Spoiler alert though

Heroes Trials...boring as fuck game, and it glitched out the ass on the Vita version.

Super Destronaut 2...fucking amazing, I loved every minute and have already plat'd it 3 or 4 times, the dude behind these two is the hero Rata needs. 

I mean if someone wants to help support my quest to inform people about Rata games, feel free to send me some PSN dosh to buy more. Or I mean, @RatalaikaGames if you have any codes you feel like giving away, I mean, I don't have Twitter but you're always throwing them up on there, hit me up, I'll at least give it a quick write up for our efforts. 

21 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I mean if someone wants to help support my quest to inform people about Rata games, feel free to send me some PSN dosh to buy more. Or I mean, @RatalaikaGames if you have any codes you feel like giving away, I mean, I don't have Twitter but you're always throwing them up on there, hit me up, I'll at least give it a quick write up for our efforts. 

Ugh really dude. 

Well atleast you are declaring it openly in comparison with 'other people'. 

But making an overwhelming positive thread and ending it with this statement is not a good 'trustfull' look. 

12 hours ago, Bumperklever said:

Ugh really dude. 

But making an overwhelming positive thread and ending it with this statement is not a good 'trustfull' look. 

lmao I am joking, I somehow doubt I'm gonna get anything from them considering I babbled for 2 seconds when bored about some $2 store games. If you prefer I'll make the bullspit a bit more obvious

Yo, @ShuheiYoshisa, @MarkCerny, @SIEE if y'all wanna send me a PS5 so I can write a thing about that new Miles Morales game I mean, go nuts.

Overwhelmingly positive is probably a bit much though, I mean. There's some shitty ones and then I called them shitty. And when I do bother to get around to the last one I've done, Heroes Trials, it at least won't be overwhelmingly positive.

All that being said, yeah, I don't give a fuck. They do giveaways on their Twitter all the time, if I took a code from there is that really any better? If I was selling myself out in the manner you're implying, I'd be asking for a bit more than a code for a $5 game they give away anyways. Though just for the shit of it, I got sent an RK2020 a month or so back to review, it's worth a bit more than one of these games and I still gave it a largely poopoo score. 

On 8/10/2020 at 10:24 PM, Bumperklever said:

Ugh really dude. 

There you go, buddy. I just put up my last 5 of their games, 2 of which I shit all over. Thus meaning 40% of my positive thread is now negative. Am I cool enough for you now, internet stranger?