Grotz’s Trophy Collection: Over a Decade of History

Grotz99

We have 51 games in common. That is one of the highest numbers I remember with profiles I checked. I have to check your games list some time to see if I find something interesting  I haven't played yet.

59 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

I am going to start by saying my account is a mess, due to not caring about completion percentages and wanting to try out games then quitting if I didn’t find them entertaining before I started to take trophy hunting more seriously.

That is probably the healthiest way to play games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

We have 51 games in common. That is one of the highest numbers I remember with profiles I checked. I have to check your games list some time to see if I find something interesting  I haven't played yet.

Looking through your list, it has a ton of games I have actually played, but have not platinumed or completed yet. For some of those that you have played, I have played on PC, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, Banner Saga, XCOM, and the first Hand of Fate (BTW I'm planning on going back to finish the 2nd one when I buy all the DLC). It is actually crazy how many games on your profile I have played or are on my list to play or going revisit.

Edited by Grotz99

We must be around the same age.

I started back in 1991 - 1992 on the NES. My sister who will soon turn 40 years old got me into it, but of course being a little kid, my play time was extremely limited.

The Sega Genesis was the first console I had for myself, then as the years passed on I had a Nintendo 64, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360.

I gamed on PC a lot during the late 2000s and early 2010s. Did a lot of Runescape and World of Warcraft. Did some Everquest and Maple Story as well. I got so drained out on MMOs I probably won't ever get into them again.

Never did gaming PCs, far too much cost for what they offer in my opinion. Nowadays I practically play on Steam and do trophy hunting on the PS4 primarily.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

We must be around the same age.

I started back in 1991 - 1992 on the NES. My sister who will soon turn 40 years old got me into it, but of course being a little kid, my play time was extremely limited.

The Sega Genesis was the first console I had for myself, then as the years passed on I had a Nintendo 64, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360.

I gamed on PC a lot during the late 2000s and early 2010s. Did a lot of Runescape and World of Warcraft. Did some Everquest and Maple Story as well. I got so drained out on MMOs I probably won't ever get into them again.

Never did gaming PCs, far too much cost for what they offer in my opinion. Nowadays I practically play on Steam and do trophy hunting on the PS4 primarily.

I'm now 35 and since you brought it up, I also played Everquest when it first came out, taking our house's phone out of commission and getting yelled at to get off the dial up internet. Deaths in that game were so brutal for xp loss that you always had to play very safe. I played the same thing in Everquest that I did in WoW, a Troll Shaman. This next WoW patch coming out later this year will probably be the first that I will not buy. I played a bit of the beta and just couldn't get back into it, which is a good thing, unless my friends want to get back into it...

I have a good backlog on steam due to the sales they kept having, which are probably the best out of any platform. Due to a good amount of FPS and RTS gaming and having to use a computer for my job all day, my wrists are not so great anymore. Which is probably one of the reasons I shifted to primarily console gaming now.

• Like 1

I did not get into Everquest too much. Back when I was 16 years old I worked my first job part time, combined with school I couldn’t afford to play constantly. 

Runescape I played more than any other MMO. It was free, and because it was free it attracted a lot of kids. It also ran on Java, so it didn’t take too many resources.  You could play on a shitty Windows 2000/XP computer and the game ran great. 

World of Warcraft is interesting. I was just old enough to play it back in 2004. But the $14.99 subscription fee was too much. I played the original for a bit, didn’t get too far because of my shitty internet, then canceled subscription. Subscribed again with Burning Crusade and fell in love with it. I felt BC and Wrath of the Lich King was when WoW was at its best.

In my opinion the game has been steadily going downhill since Cataclysm. Now you have to buy and install all those expansions if you are a new player. Today it’s mostly old and tired veterans playing WoW. No kid today is going to invest that much money into an old and dying MMO. 

In total, I’ve probably spent a cumulative of 9000 - 10000 hours on MMOs, or around 400 days logged into MMOs. I’m completely fed up with them. 

I could of started trophy hunting back in 2008 - 2009 if it wasn’t for my addiction on MMOs.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

I did not get into Everquest too much. Back when I was 16 years old I worked my first job part time, combined with school I couldn’t afford to play constantly. 

Runescape I played more than any other MMO. It was free, and because it was free it attracted a lot of kids. It also ran on Java, so it didn’t take too many resources.  You could play on a shitty Windows 2000/XP computer and the game ran great. 

World of Warcraft is interesting. I was just old enough to play it back in 2004. But the $14.99 subscription fee was too much. I played the original for a bit, didn’t get too far because of my shitty internet, then canceled subscription. Subscribed again with Burning Crusade and fell in love with it. I felt BC and Wrath of the Lich King was when WoW was at its best.

In my opinion the game has been steadily going downhill since Cataclysm. Now you have to buy and install all those expansions if you are a new player. Today it’s mostly old and tired veterans playing WoW. No kid today is going to invest that much money into an old and dying MMO. 

In total, I’ve probably spent a cumulative of 9000 - 10000 hours on MMOs, or around 400 days logged into MMOs. I’m completely fed up with them. 

I could of started trophy hunting back in 2008 - 2009 if it wasn’t for my addiction on MMOs.

I feel the same way, if I spent the amount of time I did in WoW (last I checked, my character was over 250 DAYS logged in time), I could have accomplished much more in real life. I played from day 1, remember that it came out right before Thanksgiving weekend in 2004 and ended up lanning at a friends house the whole time while their parents were out of town. You are correct, I feel like The Burning Crusade (TBC) was the pinnacle of the game's life. Raiding was pretty competitive and the fights were new and fun, arena just came out and the story was decent. When Wrath of the Lich King (WotLK) came out, we cleared the first raid, Naxxramas, within the first week. After that though the raids became challenging again and the overall story through WotLK was great. it's gone down hill since that.

Feels a lot better now not having to have a nightly raid schedule or having to log on to do things which seemed repetitive just to prepare for those nights. At my age, being able to play at my own pace and having a great selection of PS4 games to choose from, I don't see myself going back to any MMOs, unless I ever decide to try and knock out Destiny trophies again...

7 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I feel the same way, if I spent the amount of time I did in WoW (last I checked, my character was over 250 DAYS logged in time), I could have accomplished much more in real life. I played from day 1, remember that it came out right before Thanksgiving weekend in 2004 and ended up lanning at a friends house the whole time while their parents were out of town. You are correct, I feel like The Burning Crusade (TBC) was the pinnacle of the game's life. Raiding was pretty competitive and the fights were new and fun, arena just came out and the story was decent. When Wrath of the Lich King (WotLK) came out, we cleared the first raid, Naxxramas, within the first week. After that though the raids became challenging again and the overall story through WotLK was great. it's gone down hill since that.

Feels a lot better now not having to have a nightly raid schedule or having to log on to do things which seemed repetitive just to prepare for those nights. At my age, being able to play at my own pace and having a great selection of PS4 games to choose from, I don't see myself going back to any MMOs, unless I ever decide to try and knock out Destiny trophies again...

Oh believe me, college studies suffered.

I was one of the youngest people on WoW. The first guild I was in, the guy in charge was a man in his 30s, had a wife and kids. This was back in the mid 2000s, so he's probably pushing 50 years old nowadays.

There was no Dungeon Finder or Raid Finder tool. You had to set up a time and place for your guild to go on a raid. I was never a great player, I was pretty mediocre but there were guys in my guild who were pretty damn good. I didn't get into mods until much later. I'm sure you were aware of DPS (damage per second) and all that shit, mods made it much easier to track.

Cataclysm was when I started distancing myself from WoW. Blizzard was doing some stupid shit to the game, like changing classes around in updates and throwing in stuff that didn't need to be there. For instance, a Frost Mage that was good in one patch could be absolute shit in the next patch because Blizzard nerfed the class to hell and back. This was right around the time they were coming out with Diablo 3, which was back in 2012.

Then Blizzard made the skill tree system simplified and dumbed down in Mists of Pandaria. Felt odd to see the panda race be able to join both the Alliance and Horde, but understandably they were neutral.

The expansions afterwards have made the game worse and worse.

Now with Activision merged, Blizzard Entertainment is basically a big pile of horseshit. Their latest Diablo game was just an embarrassment. Hell I didn't care for Starcraft 2 all too much before Activision became involved, but it was fun when I played.

Long gone are the glory days of Starcraft, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.pngLd1a0e5.png

Mixups by POWGI

Platinum #74 - 1Sce6d53.png Mixed Feelings

Time to Completion - 2 Months 1 Day

Completed Date - July 25 2020

Was contemplating even reviewing this game as my first, but I can use it to get the template worked out. Not much to say about this as it's another POWGI game, but I wanted to get something completed for platinum #74 before I finish TLOU2 (which I'm currently on the last chapter in my survivor NG+ collection run). I gotta say this is probably the most fun POWGI game that my wife and I played through so far, we finished about 2/3 the puzzles.

In this game you are given a set of letters and some blank words showing the number of letters required to make that word for the category, with each category having 6 puzzles to solve. Once you find the word, the letters used are removed and locked into that word, it only does this if it is correct, making the subsequent words have less choices. There is a hint fuction that reveals the first letter of a word each time it is used. 

The Good

This is a good POWGI puzzle game if you like word scrambles. It does have a bit of a challenge, as I did not have as good of vocabulary and learned a few more words for each category. This was something even my wife can get involved with as a back seat gamer.

The Bad

Unless you're a serious wordsmith, some of the words are pretty out there and almost impossible to get, unless you try to google words for that category or just blindly keep trying to put something together.

The Ugly

These games seem to get chastised for being ezpz platinums, but I enjoy puzzles and sometimes a simple puzzle game for 15 minutes during a break or before bed is what I need, even if they do bring down my percentages.

Current Completion Percentage: 53.36% / 75%

Completed Games: 78 / 299 26%

Unearned Trophies: 5465 / 5000

Any feedback about this review structure would be great. I'm currently unsure about putting in personal rating scores yet, as they don't give a good representation unless I make a table explaining them before hand or have enough reviews that people understand them, but I would like to add something that shows how I personally feel about the game to build up my flavor profile so people can see the type of games I'm most interested in and provide good suggestions. Also, chances are, most reviews I do will be for games I enjoy as I do research before buying games to see if they are something I would be interested in and I stuck around long enough to finish them, unless they come from PS+. Looking at my account and unearned trophy count might seem like I tried a lot of games and didn't like them (well there are some I didn't like back in the day), but it was really due to balancing PC and console gaming at the time and deciding what I wanted to invest time into. I will go back to some of the unfinished games on my list now that I'm concentrating on trophy hunting and Playstation games.

Edited by Grotz99

35 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Any feedback about this review structure would be great. I'm currently unsure about putting in personal rating scores yet, as they don't give a good representation unless I make a table explaining them before hand or have enough reviews that people understand them, but I would like to add something that shows how I personally feel about the game to build up my flavor profile so people can see the type of games I'm most interested in and provide good suggestions.

Personally, I am content with any sort of review as long as there is a summary what the game is about and some pros and cons (if applicable). That's what I read trophy checklists for - to see if there are games I could play, too*. I usually ignore rating scores in reviews, but others might just use the score for a quick cross reference. 

*I also like it when people talk about video games because it almost never happens IRL.

La12bae.pngspacer.png

The Last of Us Part II

Platinum #75 - 1Sd95001.png Every Last One of Them

Time to Completion - 3 weeks 6 days

Completed Date - July 27 2020

Two days before The Last of Us Part 2 (TLOU2) was released, I went on a vacation for ten days, trying my hardest to continue staying spoiler free. When I finally got a chance to play the sequel to one of my favorite games of the past decade, I was not disappointed in the least and was glad that I didn’t ruin it for myself. The only reason it took this long to finish the game was because my wife saw bits and pieces of the first playthrough so I only played the 2nd time when she was around so she could get the complete story. I must be in the low percent group of people who actually really enjoyed the game. Maybe I’m a little desensitized from watching Game of Thrones…

As much as I would love to discuss the story of this game with fellow gamers, I’ve decided to keep this spoiler free (feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it) Also, I wouldn’t imagine anyone playing this game without playing the first (which I absolutely recommend playing if you like 3rd person linear post-apocalyptic stories of despair, with a glimmer of hope). I think people blocked out certain parts in the first game, because as dreary as TLOU2 is, the first one wasn’t too far behind it or maybe it’s because the time we live in right now made for bad timing to release this game. At least there was no worry about toilet paper in this game.

TLOU2 plays similar to its predecessor The Last of Us. You can use stealth with the element of surprise like Bruce Willis in Die Hard or try to be stealthy and alert the whole area after one kill like Bruce Willis in The Last Man Standing. As you progress through the story, you collect weapons, collectable artifacts and every little piece of duct tape left on earth by rummaging around places that have been deserted for 10+ years or occupied by infected. Each time you find a new building you can enter, it's like an episode of storage wars, gauging if it's worth it by peeking in and seeing what you have to deal with. Luckily in this game, Ellie has the immortal switchblade, unlike everything else that breaks after a couple swings, which makes taking out some of the more annoying infected creatures easier. It’s also funny to get excited when you find a bathroom in the game, because more likely than not, there are pills in there for you to get hopped up on for learning new minor skills (the skills really aren't that exciting).

I wanted to take a moment to point out the attention to detail and atmosphere this game presents. I have been to all 3 locations in game within the last year and it was incredible to feel like I was actually at them again, if this pandemic went out of control and people really fought over toilet paper. If there was one thing that people should agree on, this game is gorgeous, in a post-apocalyptic way. They also spent a ton of time on the sound effects, like the breathing that each character does in certain situations, which really makes you feel the emotions and gravity of the situation they are in.

I’d say this game ran around 25 hours for the first play through, without taking screenshots using photo mode. I played through the first run on moderate difficulty and the second to clean up collectables on survivor for fun (there is no trophy for difficulty). Survivor difficulty wasn’t too bad the 2nd time around, since you know what to horde for the boss fights (yes there are a couple bosses) and you can start it on NG+ without going through that difficulty the first time. It probably helped that I played through TLOU, Uncharted 2 crushing difficulty and currently playing Uncharted on crushing difficulty, my 3rd person aiming is at its peak. On moderate I was always almost maxed on everything, while survivor i struggled to have a full clip in any weapon, but survivor difficulty made it much more intense. Only part I didn’t like is that the “blind” infected seemed to gain eyes or it’s possible they have excellent echolocation skills and know when something is different than the last 10 years they spent in that room.

This review is a lot more long winded than my others will probably be, but I have been anticipating this game for 7 years and it was worth the wait. If you want a cheerful hero who saves the day and slays the forces of evil or if this has been a rough year emotionally for you...i would avoid this game. Otherwise if you liked the first one and want more of the same with some emotions you rarely feel in any other video game, I would say to give this a try. The trophies for this game are a lot easier than the first, as it doesn’t have difficulty or online trophies.

Spoiler Section

Spoiler

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but I really did like the story in this game and it did something to me that other other games don't, made me really care about the "villain". The beginning did start off rocky and I can see why people got upset, but let's be honest, Joel was no saint. At the end of TLOU, he decided to murder 20-30 people (at least if you played it how I did) and started it off by shooting someone in the dick...twice! Now from the other side of the argument, it seemed silly to try to make a vaccine, when it seems like most people are killed by other people. Only the small subset of people in the Fireflies would use the vaccine anyways and if others found out, they would try to kill them for it. Also, a vaccine doesn't stop from getting swarmed and eaten.

Fast forward to Seattle, 3 people decided to go get revenge, because there's obviously nothing better to do with their time/lives. Not going to get into the details as people who played the game already would be reading this, but during those 3 days, I came to dislike Ellie and actually liked Abby's side of the story better. (guess you can say I'm on team Abby?) Ellie was just there with pent up rage tunnel visioning for revenge. This went far beyond and eye for an eye. Even near the end, she made a terrible choice leaving her comfy home and family to track down Abby on a rumor. The good news is that because of that I got to visit my hometown in a game! Was really neat to see them make the downtown "funk zone" area a run down waste. I actually was in all 3 locations in the game in the last year.

Overall the game showed that Abby actually had more of a soul than Ellie, but I think the reason is because Ellie already felt like her life should have been sacrificed for a vaccine to help people, as they kept eluding to her anger at Joel for saving her. Abby seemed more humanized in the story as she was trying to help people, but definitely saw what string of events can be caused by killing one person for vengeance. She was able to see that the Seraphites were also people just like her, trying to survive. Don't even get me started on how the whole human race has gone back to the days of tribes where they are essentially fighting over land and beliefs everywhere you go (not so different actually from some events in modern day). It's the same thing that kept happening in Walking Dead as well. The conflict near the end of Abby's story was random and stupid to me, but made for a pretty cool chapter to play through. I can see why Ellie left at the end, even if it was a terrible choice in our eyes, sometimes people just can't continue their lives normally after what they been through, especially leaving unfinished business. It kind of reminded me of the movie "The Hurt Locker" or "American Sniper", but those might have been more about adrenaline.

If they make another TLOU, I'm thinking it'll involve Abby again. I don't see Ellie really having anything left unless she roams around and stumbles onto another civilization filled with drama.

The Good
Gameplay hasn’t changed much, which is good since it was great in the first one. The environments are breathtaking (much like Keanu Reeves). In my opinion, the story was fantastic, even if it's not all rainbows and unicorns or doesn’t meet everyone’s expectations, but they took a risk to give people something fresh that really hasn’t been done much in video games.

The Bad
Survivor mode clickers gained eyes or something that made sneaking even more difficult when you’re trying to save ammo. I feel like if you shoot someone in the head no matter how big and beefy they are, they should die. My PS4 would also have the fans blowing at full speed the whole time this game was running, my poor PS4...

The Ugly
There are a lot of disagreements between people’s views of this game’s story. Seeing other reviews get bashed on for giving their opinion is disheartening. This is not uncommon, but this game has brought out the extreme side for people. I will agree that some parts of the story, more near the end of the game, I didn’t agree with, but it seems like they really wanted you to ride the rails. Again, this game is not for the feign of heart.

Current Completion Percentage: 53.53% / 75%

Completed Games: 79 / 299 26%

Unearned Trophies: 5453 / 5000

Now that TLOU2 is out of the way and I'm cleaning up a few more games, I'm starting to get that itch for an FPS and RPG. Was thinking of playing Far Cry 4 which I just picked up for 6 bucks, but now Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remaster just came to PS Plus and it fills my #3 slot in gaming by numbers so I'll probably play though that, I remember it being a great single player experience, so we'll see if it holds up.

As for an RPG, I have quite a list in my backlog. I could go the old school DnD type games like Torment: Tides of Numenera or Divinity: Original Sin. I have a few off the wall JRPGs like Sword Art Online: Lost Song or go back to a Star Ocean game. Most likely than not though, I'll end up playing Kingdom Hearts 2, as I want to continue getting through that collection. I played KH2 back on PS2 so it's been a while. I can also play a game that fills both, Outer Worlds.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 2

spacer.pngLaafb6d.png

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Platinum #76 - 1S49074f.png Platinum

Time to Completion - 10 Years 6 Months

Completed Date - July 29 2020

Over a decade later, I finally platinumed the second game I ever bought that had trophies (first being Killzone 2 that came with my PS3). The only trophy I had left for some reason was to complete it on Crushing difficulty and I'm not entirely sure why I didn't get that trophy until now. Maybe I wasn't good at 3rd person shooters back then or just got frustrated with it. Playing this after getting the UC2 platinum and along side playing TLOU2 on survivor difficulty probably helped make this trophy a breeze, even with some of the BS that came with that difficulty.

This is a great Indiana Jones style story about a mass murdering treasure hunter who seems to be looking for a treasure that hasn't been found for decades and so happens to be going after it at the same time as some evil greedy person who hires a small army. On your search for the treasure, you need to kill everyone that get's in your way. Seriously, you probably kill 500 people throughout the game.

The combat is pretty strait forward, hide behind something and peek out to shoot a few rounds before getting killed. If you get wounded, the screen starts to go into black and white mode then you need to take cover and not get hit again until you magically heal and your sight regains color. There wasn't as big of a weapon selection as the other uncharted games, maybe 8 different guns, but each weapon can get the job done. For Crushing difficulty, I ended up using the pistol more than anything since it has the best accuracy and if you didn't get a head-shot, it would take like 7 bullets to the chest to kill someone, ammo was in shorter supply in Crushing difficulty. I also learned while playing through this time that the cover is terrible usually, still able to get hit sometimes when hiding behind something, and when you decide to peak out and shoot, you expose yourself a lot. I discovered that it is much easier to not take cover behind something using the O button, but instead stand behind something and move out a little bit at a time while aiming. 

Playing through Crushing difficulty was pretty tough at first until I learned not to take cover and retreating to a choke point is the best way to start clearing a section of bad guys. The bad guys can be pretty ballsy and charge strait after you. Also, you need to be mindful if they are using a revolver, since it kills you in 1 shot, which is usually how you find out they have one. I expected the grenade spam to be like it was in Uncharted 2, sometimes there would be 3 grenades thrown at you each time you took cover, but it wasn't too bad.

The story was pretty strait forward, you are searching for a treasure and some other menacing individual is also looking for it, with their hired goons, but there is so annoying parts I found throughout it. There are times where you work on solving a puzzle to get into some secret underground area and when you do, you expect to have a nice relaxing stroll through it since no one else should have found it yet, but instead about 1 minute into it, you run into more bad guys. This happens pretty much throughout the whole game where they are usually 1 step ahead of you. They weren't even looking in the right place where you solved the puzzle to get in, but managed to find a way down there. 

The trophies are pretty strait forward in this game: collect hidden treasures, get X kills with Y weapon or just beat the game on each difficulty. Luckily the difficulty trophies stack, so beating it on a harder difficulty unlocks the lower ones. You do however need to beat the game on Hard difficulty to unlock the option to play it on Crushing, so it requires 2 playthroughs. The graphics also hold up quite nicely for how old the game is. 

The Good

The game was entertaining throughout without overstaying it's welcome. The voice acting was top notch.

The Bad

Not a lot of variety in game play as you are either climbing around something or shooting people. 

The Ugly

Sometimes you can still get hit while hiding behind cover.

I decided to go back and clean up some trophies in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and 3 on my PS3 since I wanted a break from 3 person shooters for a while, I'll tackle Uncharted 3 some day. Not sure I can solo all the challeges in MW2, but I'll try the few remaining ones again, wonder if it'll be easier to do local coop by myself rather than solo mode? Also looking to play through COD Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered this month. Decided on starting Kingdom Hearts 2 for my RPG and the nostalgia came rushing back into me since I last played it on PS2. I took a break from the KH games for a bit since i wanted to play them in order and was not a fan of the game play in the 2nd game, Re: Chain of Memories. I would like to try the others so I'm going to start working through them again.

Also knocked out SOMA for the numbers event, but I'm not going to review non-platinum games. Had that game on my list for a while and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 2

Pretty much the game everybody has played at this point. 

The motion Sixaxis controls are outdated, there was that log early in the game where Nathan had to balance himself to get across. 

I’m just sad there won’t be anymore Uncharted games coming out.

13 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Also knocked out SOMA for the numbers event, but I'm not going to review non-platinum games. Had that game on my list for a while and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Noooooooo. If there's any non-platinum game you should give your thoughts on, it's SOMA. This game wrecked me and I had many deep conversations about its plot and premise with people that don't even play games!

Checklist looks great btw, look forward to seeing more.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

Pretty much the game everybody has played at this point. 

The motion Sixaxis controls are outdated, there was that log early in the game where Nathan had to balance himself to get across. 

I’m just sad there won’t be anymore Uncharted games coming out.

I'm sad too that they won't be making more Uncharted games, but excited to see what they work on next. I don't even think i payed much attention to the controller at that part, it took like 5 seconds to get across, almost like they were just testing the technology.

7 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Noooooooo. If there's any non-platinum game you should give your thoughts on, it's SOMA. This game wrecked me and I had many deep conversations about its plot and premise with people that don't even play games!

Checklist looks great btw, look forward to seeing more.

Thanks, I'll see about posting more. As for SOMA, that is another reason I'm hesitant to post and had a really hard time putting my review together for TLOU2, as I did not want to spoil any of the story. Maybe I'll throw together a quick post with the spoiler section to talk a little about it, but man that game was a mind trip. I did not know what to expect going in, thinking it was just a horror game, but it ended up being much much more.

• Like 1

Knocked out a couple of platinums over the last week, bringing my in progress games to a manageable amount. Even though Fall Guys has one of the hardest trophies currently that I have seen in any game, I decided to start playing it and I'm not even mad that it will probably never get completed, it is a really fun game. Also, I was finally able to re-download Metro: Last Light onto my PS3, for some reason I was not able to find the normal version which I got through PS plus back when they gave games on PS3, using a browser extension that shows what you own while in the PS store and allows you to search and download easily. I had 1/51 trophies for that game and I'm looking to platinum it, so that will bring down my total unearned trophies a bit.

I'm still making my way through KH2 during most of my gaming time and working on Phoenix Wright an hour or so before bed at night. I'm dropping Jak II, for now, since grinding out all the rest of the orbs started to get really frustrating with the controls. Up until a year ago or so, you were able to do an exploit, which can net you ~120 orbs and can skip a lot of the really annoying ones, which is probably why its a high platinum percentage. They have now patched that exploit. I'll probably work on it slowly over the next couple months to not burn myself out.

L1c7a3f.png

Tales from the Borderlands

Platinum #77 - 1S518cff.png We Had Fun, Didn't We?

Time to Completion - 3 days 18 hours

Completed Date - August 7 2020

Not a lot to say about this one, it's another Telltale game that is set in the Borderlands franchise and I decided to complete it for the Gaming by Numbers challenge. Decided to take a different approach this time with a Telltale game just be a complete jack ass. Much to probably no one's surprise, it did not matter how much of a jerk I was to everyone, it still had the same happy ending. Although, some of the reactions are pretty entertaining. With that being said, this is probably one of my favorite Telltale games, other than Wolf Among Us, since I do enjoy the Borderlands games.

The Good

The voice acting and humor was great in this one. Depending on choices you make throughout the game, you get to setup your crew differently at the end.

The Bad

Story will not waver no matter what choices you make.

The Ugly

They ended it pretty well, but left it open for a sequel, which we will never see, but it's not as bad of a cliff hanger as Game of Thrones.

La18a87.png

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

Platinum #78 - 1S40a6f3.png Have you ever tried Shawarma?

Time to Completion - 2 months 3 days

Completed Date - August 8 2020

This is the second Lego game that I have played on PS4, after LEGO City Undercover and got it in a 3 pack Lego game deal. The Lego games seem to have the same formula, do the story missions/chapters to collect skins/abilities required to collect more stuff. The story chapters are probably 25% of the game's time, while the collectathon is the rest. This one isn't hard either, as you can't really die or fail a mission, they even allow you to use cheats once you unlocked them and it doesn't hurt the trophy hunt. The story is pretty strait forward as you (the good guys) fight the bad guys in the Marvel universe, which covers both major franchises. It'll probably be a while until I play another Lego game.

The Good

The humor in Lego games is pretty amusing. If you have a kid, this is a great type of game to play coop with them.

The Bad

Repetitive game play after the story mission where you spend a majority of your time collecting gold bricks/characters/vehicles.

The Ugly

Same formula, different story as other Lego games I've played or seen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to finish off the last 2 games for the Gaming by Numbers Event: Another World and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Campaign Remastered. Another World was an interesting platformer/puzzle game and was shorter than I expected. I'll get to COD MW2 CR below.

Now that I got those games out of the way, I'm just working on KH2 and Phoenix Wright on PS4 and Metro: Last Light on PS3. My PS3 sits upstairs and with how warm it's been lately, it's hard to play up there, especially since it sounds like my poor PS3 is struggling to run, but I'm really liking the atmosphere in Metro: Last Light, they did a really good job with the details. I'm on the last game of the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, playing that a little bit each night before bed. KH2 is down to the post game grind and I'll be starting up the 2nd play through on Critical soon to help balance out between going back through the story and grinding.

Starting to notice an annoying downside to having so many newer games on my list. I thought I was bringing my total unearned trophy count down, which it is, but all of a sudden it went back up. Looking through my list, I noticed that Control got another DLC, maybe its time I got the season pass for that...

L718e57.png

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered

Platinum #79 - 1S611996.png Is That All You Got?

Time to Completion - 5 days 49 minutes

Completed Date - August 26 2020

It has been a little over a decade since I played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 and the story was a little blurry to me other than some of the big moments and the controversial airport level. Playing back through it again reignited how much I actually like COD single player campaigns. They do an awesome job with everything from voice acting to the graphics and small details to make you feel like you are in an action movie. Speaking of action movies, they definitely stole some parts right out of a few movies, such as The Rock and Black Hawk down. They don't do anything to make you really feel angry or emotional about whats actually going on though (except for the airport scene maybe). So even though you might be fighting to defend your home country (USA), it just feels like another FPS map most of the time, with a few distant land marks.

While going through the story you get to bounce between playing a few different characters grouped up with some familiar faces from the first Modern Warfare. As you spend more time with them, you start to grow some kind of attachment or bond, probably since you are fighting for your pixilated life right beside them. At the same time you are with some other more "expendable" soldiers who all actually have code names and you think "cool maybe some new characters introduced to the story", but nope they usually die somewhere along the lines either by being overwhelmed or accidental friendly fire when they walk in from of your line of sight.

The trophies really arn't too bad outside of the Immortal trophy for not dying or going to a check point on each level, since it's bugged and I explain what I had to do below. I thought the blocking trophy would be the obstacle course again, but it wasn't that bad this time around like it was in the first MW remaster.

I still like these older ones since they haven't gotten into the new space age technology yet, some of the newer CoDs (before WWII) are just a little far out there with exoskeletons and whatnot. The most revolutionized thing would either be the predator drones or auto turret during the time this game came out. Also, it might be a little nit picky, but when you think you kill someone on recruit difficulty and stop looking that direction, they have 100% accuracy from their last stand, which got me a couple times, along with insta-kill melee hits. Sometimes they only get downed when you shoot them in what you think is their head. They also have animations a little after being shot, so you end up just shooting them extra for good measure.

The Good

The updated graphics were superb and the game still played as smooth, if not smoother than ever. Felt like I died to less random BS on Veteran difficulty than other CoD games. They also seemed to speed up the healing after you been shot, so you're not waiting for what seems like an eternity to see if you heal or get random shot or have 5 grenades land at your feet, while you're in cover.

The Bad

They didn't include the extra challenge levels that were in the original. Even though they make the platinum harder to get if you solo, they are still fun to play for added content. I wouldn't have bought just the campaign for $20, but luckily it came to PS Plus.

The Ugly

A fair warning if you go for the Immortal trophy in this game as it is glitched. My 2nd play through i went through and restarted the level each time if I died and after getting past the credits nothing popped. I did a bit of research and it has different bugs. I started a 3rd play through and this time only put my PS4 to sleep and didn't ever exit the game or my progress. Eventually I got to a mission I knew I resumed from in my last play through and after beating it, the trophy popped. If you continue on from the menu and get back into the mission, restart the mission from the start section to ensure its truly started over.

CoD games seems to get a lot of hate and I'm sure that stems from the multiplayer (full disclosure, I've liked to binge every once in a while to let off some steam), but the single player campaigns are done really well. These remasters are a good opportunity for people to play a good single player FPS, especially if they keep coming to PS+ soon after release. I'm looking forward to the third one whenever they finish it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

L65cfd0.png

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Platinum #80 1S0e9aa8.pngInnocence

Time to Completion: 1 week 22 hours

Completed Date: September 6 2020

I have been looking to get this game for a while, so when it finally went on sale below $20, I decided to pick it up. I was originally planning on saving it for October, when I play scarier games on my list, but couldn't wait that long and glad I didn't. (I have plenty of games on that list as it is and will put them in a post closer to October) As it turned out, I wouldn't call this a horror based game, but they did make the rats really creepy in this, mostly due to the sound effects. 75% of the game there are rats where you are going and their sound starts to stick with you...even in your sleep.

The story of this game is a heartwarming tale of 2 siblings working together to bring down the Inquisition, which is doing a terrible job of handling the plague situation. They find a few other friends along the way as well to help in their adventure. Everywhere they go, people are either trying to kill/capture them or just out right hate them because of their family background and believe it's their fault for the plague. To help enrich the atmosphere of this game, the environment is done beautifully, in a grotesque sort of way. If i had to walk through areas of the game that they went through, I would run out of vomit in under 5 minutes.

The game play is rather simple, you have to sneak your way around guards by using distractions or kill them and avoid rats by using light to make paths, as rats hate the light. This is all done with 1 weapon, a sling, which you unlock different types of ammo for throughout the game. They don't want to make aiming a pain since this isn't a shooter so there is pretty heavy autoaim. It's more about figuring out the path to get through areas without being caught by the guards or devoured by rats. My favorite way to deal with the guards is to put out the lights so they get devoured :).

Will there be some kind of sequel? I only ask because the subtitle "Innocence" and also because they spent a good amount of effort on the rats, that it would be a waste to not use it in another game.

The Good

I feel like this game flew under the radar and was an absolute gem from the graphics to the story telling. Although it is short, you feel the bonds that the characters grow between each other rather quick.

The Bad

The sounds that the rats make will haunt your dreams.

The Ugly

I honestly don't know what to put here for this game. It didn't really have any bugs or flaws that made any part frustrating to play through. For those who have played though, I will say that the beginning did a good job starting me off in a sad mood.

With A Plague Tale out of the way, I'm just working on finishing KH2, Phoenix Wright and Metro: Last Light (PS3). I'm just left with the Critical playthrough of KH2 and will probably just take my time with it while playing other games. I have about 2 cases left in Phoenix Wright until the platinum, it's been a long road playing this an hour or so each night before bed, I started in early July. So now I'm looking for the next game(s). I'm going to start Danganronpa 1-2 Reload after Phoenix Wright to be my next late night visual novel game. According to the guide (which i usually just check the time to plat and missables), its twice as long as Phoenix Wright so we'll see if i can finish by the end of the year. As for my next main game, I'm looking forward to starting Outer Worlds finally, since I got it for Christmas last year. The other games I've been tempted to go back to are Valkyria Chronicles and Torment: Tides of Numenera. I also picked back up Defender's Quest and decided it will be my 100th Platinum due to the name. I do have a soft spot for TD games and I'll chip away at this one until 100.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Valkyria Chronicles and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Both great games. Be warned, though, that Torment: Tides of Numenera is very, very text-heavy. It's great if you like cRPGs.

38 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

I'm going to start Danganronpa 1-2 Reload after Phoenix Wright to be my next late night visual novel game. According to the guide (which i usually just check the time to plat and missables), its twice as long as Phoenix Wright so we'll see if i can finish by the end of the year.

Danganronpa 1-2 Reload is two games in one, both with a grind, so yeah - it'll take quite some time to get the Plat if you want it.

24 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Both great games. Be warned, though, that Torment: Tides of Numenera is very, very text-heavy. It's great if you like cRPGs.

I loved playing Baulder's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale back in the day, but I was very limited on spending and they seemed like great values, which is why I decided to pick up Torment and heard it has a great sci fi vibe. I did give it a go a while back and I think I was trying to play it right after work too many times and it not an after work type of game for me. I'm usually tired and something that slow starts to put me to sleep.

I was really intrigued though with the story at the start. I think my plan would be to make it a weekend game, where I can sit down for 2-3 hours at a time and knock out some pieces. Looks like it's a bit more text driven than combat. I might also use it as a game before bed, but I don't think it would work like how visual novels work for me. I also have Divinity: Original Sin sitting on my account with 1 trophy as I tried to coop it with my wife, it did not go well and I learned my lesson on the type of games she'll play with me. That seems like it might have more combat than Torment.

Edited by Grotz99

40 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

I loved playing Baulder's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale back in the day, but I was very limited on spending and they seemed like great values, which is why I decided to pick up Torment and heard it has a great sci fi vibe. I did give it a go a while back and I think I was trying to play it right after work too many times and it not an after work type of game for me. I'm usually tired and something that slow starts to put me to sleep.

I was really intrigued though with the story at the start. I think my plan would be to make it a weekend game, where I can sit down for 2-3 hours at a time and knock out some pieces. Looks like it's a bit more text driven than combat. I might also use it as a game before bed, but I don't think it would work like how visual novels work for me. I also have Divinity: Original Sin sitting on my account with 1 trophy as I tried to coop it with my wife, it did not go well and I learned my lesson on the type of games she'll play with me. That seems like it might have more combat than Torment.

Divinity: Original Sin is a great cRPG as well. You can avoid a lot of combat if you want to and have specced your characters right. That's what so good about cRPGs - freedom. D : OS 2 is just as good (many say better). I made both of them milestones.

I recommend cRPGs as weekend games. One-hour-long chunks are not enough to get into the story. One really needs a couple of hours of continuous gameplay to get the feels, especially from exploration.

• Like 1

Nice introduction/history @Grotz99. Not sure why i haven't seen this before...

I also remember the good old days of NES/SNES. I never had one growing up but a friend did so Saturdays were spent cruising around on our bikes collecting enough bottles to cash in to rent  games at the local blockbuster. We did however always have a computer in the house and if we werent at my friends playing NES we were mashing buttons on a keyboard at my place playing Golden Axe or Double Dragon. Man I feel old now. haha

• Like 1

I'm starting to put together my October game list for Halloween, which means I buckle up for some scary games for my favorite holiday, and would like to get some feedback as to what to play from this list or if there are any I should look at adding. I do have one in mind that I want to give a shot to again, which I was very impressed by how creepy they made it compared to some of its predecessors, even though I only played about 2 hours of the story. Had SOMA and A Plague Tale: Innocence on the list, but decided not to wait to play those and they were worth it :), definitely recommend both.

This is what I have so far:

• Amnesia Collection
  • Call of Cthulhu
  • Get Even
  • Layers of Fear
  • Outlast
  • Outlast 2
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 7
  • The Evil Within 2
  • Vampyr
  • Whispering Willows

Also, I've decided to finally add my thoughts around TLOU2 in a spoiler section above in the review. Keeping it spoiler free was boring. I know people will probably not agree with my thoughts, but we are all humans and think differently.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1