Grotz99

Grotz’s Trophy Collection: Over a Decade of History

29 posts in this topic

It always good to play something to get into the mood of the season. I did that too, by trying to finish up Black Mirror and starting Maneater. The creepy vibe and ghosts are good for the first and great gore satisfaction for the other. I enjoyed Soma too as I just finished up recently as well. 

my other picks off of my fall list

Stranger Things 3: 

Midnight Sanctuary:

Until Dawn:

Bully: 

Lego Harry Potter Yrs 1-4 

Doctor Who VR:

Nightmares From the Deep 2:

Until Dawn Rush of Blood: 

Batman VR

Mary Skelter

Seasons After Fall

Edited by kingofbattle8174

On your last of us 2 spoilers.

Spoiler

I took from it that you weren't supposed to take sides in this story. What you said about not liking Ellie for what she was doing in Seattle is exactly what Abby was doing in Jackson.

Ellie's 3 days in Seattle is something Abby already went through, hunting for revenge. Abby's 3 days is what happens after the revenge, knowing that it didn't solve any problems and a true sense of purpose needs to be found, in her case, Lev. Ellie has already experienced that with Joel, but will only be able to experience it again after she lets go, which she does at the end (thank Christ). 

I hated the thing at first but I really came around to it once it all clicked. 

Also strong disagree on Abby being involved in Part 3. Part 2 is Ellie's story, Abby is only there to facilitate that story and her arc was complete at the end judging by the title screen at San Catalina. 

Edited by jonesey46
added spoiler thing

Spoiler
1 hour ago, jonesey46 said:

On your last of us 2 spoilers. I took from it that you weren't supposed to take sides in this story. What you said about not liking Ellie for what she was doing in Seattle is exactly what Abby was doing in Jackson.

Ellie's 3 days in Seattle is something Abby already went through, hunting for revenge. Abby's 3 days is what happens after the revenge, knowing that it didn't solve any problems and a true sense of purpose needs to be found, in her case, Lev. Ellie has already experienced that with Joel, but will only be able to experience it again after she lets go, which she does at the end (thank Christ). 

I hated the thing at first but I really came around to it once it all clicked. 

Also strong disagree on Abby being involved in Part 3. Part 2 is Ellie's story, Abby is only there to facilitate that story and her arc was complete at the end judging by the title screen at San Catalina. 

I had a feeling that you would give me a good reply and you are right 🙂, we just didn't get to see Abby's vengeance side. The story overall was about just that, grief, vengence and acceptance. You really don't take sides, it was pretty terrible going for both of them. I really just liked the story parts for Abby a little better, but like you said it's during her "moving on" period. Abby also didn't have to wipe out dozens of people to get to Joel, but again we don't know if that is true and can you imagine how many people might want revenge on Ellie now? I do remember the playful kid Ellie was in the first one and what she was like with Dina and her kid and I hope that she is able to continue on with her life. But in doing that, what would next game be like, these aren't made to be cheery, they are during desolate times in which people do what they need to in order to survive, which is usually pretty grim. Even in Left Behind, it started out great, but turned dark really quick. So everyone will be thinking what will her next hurdle be? Is there ever a light at the end of the tunnel? Ellie is already pretty desensitized, but hopefully breaking down and realizing what she has done throughout that game will change her.

So, as for not liking Ellie as much as Abby, I feel like we saw we saw a side of Ellie going far beyond just revenge, she pretty much ignored her friends when she should stop and go back, even after hearing about Dina's pregnancy. Even when things seemed good, she dropped that life pretty quick (well at least 1 year?) after they did finally go back, but I outlined why that happened. Playing her was definitely cringey at some points. I also didn't feel like her anger against Joel was totally justified, but he really did suck at telling her the truth, so that's probably on him. I guess I worded it wrong as it wasn't about not liking Ellie as a character, but not liking how she took the situation and acted, especially since the history we had from the first game. But it wouldn't have been such a great story otherwise.

Even though I have those feelings about the game and the characters, I really liked it overall. The characters were put into those roles to make us feel what they feel and get a real grasp on the gravity of the story, which they did a great job of portraying.

@jonesey46I remember you saying you dropped it pretty quickly and outright hating it. I do look forward to your thoughts and to a part 3 either way. If anything I can see some DLC to fill in the Firefly stuff afterwards.

Edited by Grotz99

12 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I had a feeling that you would give me a good reply and you are right 1f642.png, we just didn't get to see Abby's vengeance side. The story overall was about just that, grief, vengence and acceptance. You really don't take sides, it was pretty terrible going for both of them. I really just liked the story parts for Abby a little better, but like you said it's during her "moving on" period. Abby also didn't have to wipe out dozens of people to get to Joel, but again we don't know if that is true and can you imagine how many people might want revenge on Ellie now? I do remember the playful kid Ellie was in the first one and what she was like with Dina and her kid and I hope that she is able to continue on with her life. But in doing that, what would next game be like, these aren't made to be cheery, they are during desolate times in which people do what they need to in order to survive, which is usually pretty grim. Even in Left Behind, it started out great, but turned dark really quick. So everyone will be thinking what will her next hurdle be? Is there ever a light at the end of the tunnel? Ellie is already pretty desensitized, but hopefully breaking down and realizing what she has done throughout that game will change her.

So, as for not liking Ellie as much as Abby, I feel like we saw we saw a side of Ellie going far beyond just revenge, she pretty much ignored her friends when she should stop and go back, even after hearing about Dina's pregnancy. Even when things seemed good, she dropped that life pretty quick (well at least 1 year?) after they did finally go back, but I outlined why that happened. Playing her was definitely cringey at some points. I also didn't feel like her anger against Joel was totally justified, but he really did suck at telling her the truth, so that's probably on him. I guess I worded it wrong as it wasn't about not liking Ellie as a character, but not liking how she took the situation and acted, especially since the history we had from the first game. But it wouldn't have been such a great story otherwise.

Even though I have those feelings about the game and the characters, I really liked it overall. The characters were put into those roles to make us feel what they feel and get a real grasp on the gravity of the story, which they did a great job of portraying.

@jonesey46I remember you saying you dropped it pretty quickly and outright hating it. I do look forward to your thoughts and to a part 3 either way. If anything I can see some DLC to fill in the Firefly stuff afterwards.

Absolutely. I really came around to it on my second play through.

Spoiler

I found myself enjoying Abby's gameplay bits a lot more than Ellies as they were a lot more action packed. Maybe that was on purpose?

I'll never rate it above Part I but that's only because that game makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside and came at a really influential time of my life. But hats off to ND for doing what they did with 2 cause no one else could have pulled that off. It's not the game that I wanted but I'm so glad they did it.

To add another point about Abby and Part 3. I was very matter of fact in my last post but the truth is no one knows what ND's plans are. I just feel I've finally got a good grasp on Part 2 and have come to really understand what they were going for, but if Abby is involved in Part 3 then all that goes away and I'll just have to put my hands up and say "I have no fucking idea what is going on anymore" 😂