Borderlands Noob Here

MrTacoNinja

I've been interested in the VR version for quite some time now (it's the only way I can tolerate a first-person game and actually enjoy it). Having never played a Borderlands game how confusing, overwhelming and difficult will this VR version likely be for me?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willreaper41 said:

Well if you get motion sickness at all you should probably pass, I tried Skyrim VR and made it to the first town before the splitty headache became to much and I can only assume Borderlands would be as bad.

I would say the same thing, I also played Skyrim VR and can stand it for maybe 10 minute intervals but if you're good with motion sickness then go for it. The borderlands games are nice and really easy to get into. 

If you start with Borderlands 2 without knowing the first Borderlands you will understand most part of the story but not every detail. The 4 Borderlands 1 heroes are main characters in Borderlands 2. The intro shows a bit what happened in the first game. I think it's ok to start B2 without knowing B1 or even Borderlands The Pre-Sequel which takes place in between B1 and B2

I appreciate the time you all have taken to respond but none of this answers my question (not being rude). I couldn't care less about stories in video games. Is the gameplay difficult? Are the trophies difficult, confusing and overwhelming, especially for someone who has never played a Borderlands game before? The only reason I'm even considering this game is because it's in VR. Other than I absolutely HATE first-person games with a passion and avoid them altogether.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I appreciate the time you all have taken to respond but none of this answers my question (not being rude). I couldn't care less about stories in video games. Is the gameplay difficult? Are the trophies difficult, confusing and overwhelming, especially for someone who has never played a Borderlands game before? The only reason I'm even considering this game is because it's in VR. Other than I absolutely HATE first-person games with a passion and avoid them altogether.

I love BL2 to death and have over 1,000hrs logged in the Non-VR Versions but in terms of trophies, it's a royal pain in the ass due to the amount of RNG and luck that's needed for some of them, plus the difficulty spikes hard in places and TVHM (True Vault Hunter Mode AKA Playthrough 2) and UVHM (Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode AKA Playthrough 3) are even worse (especially when you factor in the OP Levels). The location trophies are infamously buggy (though the VR version being Single Player only should nuke most of the issues with them), trying to find Jimmy Jenkins, Michael Mamerill and Mr Miz will have you begging for mercy due to their abysmal spawn rates, plus the Raid bosses will reduce grown men to tears due to how cheap they are. Only Borderlands 1 has a worse trophy list, though The Pre-Sequel isn't far behind either of them.

TL;DR: If you have the patience of a saint and a high tolerance for dying a lot, then go for it but if you have a short fuse and get pissed off easily, then avoid this like the plague because it will drive you nuts!

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

I love BL2 to death and have over 1,000hrs logged in the Non-VR Version but in terms of trophies, it's a royal pain in the ass due to the amount of RNG and luck that's needed for some of them, plus the difficulty spikes hard in places and TVHM (True Vault Hunter Mode AKA Playthrough 2) and UVHM (Ultimate Vault hunter mode AKA Playthrough 3) are even worse. The location trophies are infamously buggy (though the VR version being Single Player only should nuke most of the issues with them), trying to find Jimmy Jenkins, Michael Mamerill and Mr Miz will have you begging for mercy due to their abysmal spawn rates, plus the Raid bosses will reduce grown men to tears due to how cheap they are. Only Borderlands 1 has a worse trophy list though The Pre-Sequel isn't far behind.

TL;DR: If you have the patience of a saint and a high tolerance for dying a lot, then go for it but if you have a short fuse and get pissed off easily, then avoid this like the plague because it will drive you nuts!

^This here was an absolutely thoughtful and helpful response and the type of answer I was looking for^

Thanks Hunt!   =)

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

There is nothing confusing, difficult or overwhelming about the game, other than its a 100 hour VR game, but you platted Skyrim VR so that's not going to be a problem for you. You will get into the macanics of the game very quickly, and I had no problems with the location trophies in this game what so ever. The dificulty is imo a 4/10.

Edit: The VR version has some cool mechanics, making it easier to get critical hits, because you aim by looking. So from a single player perspective the VR version is actually a bit easier than the original.

Edited by CabDK

I reeeeally do want to try this game. I'm just a bit nervous about it, especially with the DLC. I don't know why, I just am. And with me the more I hesitate the more I talk myself out of something (which is natural, I believe, for most anyone).

Edited by MrTacoNinja

The borderlands franchise is one of my all time favourites! I don’t think I could stand to plat BL2 in VR though, I couldn’t even handle Skyrim ? 

The platinum for Borderlands 2 isn’t too bad though tbh, the trophies are all pretty self explanatory. The worst trophy is completing all level 1 challenges on a single character, but that being said the grind isn’t awful. You will need to play as all four characters as well to get their special skill trophies, so that adds onto your play time. There are also a couple things for the plat  that rely on RNG and that’s finding the guy Michael something or other in Sanctuary and you also need to kill a little blue loader bot for the leeeeeeroy jeeeenkins challenge (to get your challenge trophy I mentioned before). Also although someone mentioned true and ultimate vault hunter mode, they’re not required for the plat (it does make the grind for level 50 easier, though if you use one char for the dlc as well you’ll reach it no problem) 

The Borderlands games aren’t really difficult at all and they’re a lot of fun, but if you’re not into FPS games then idk it might not be worth the investment ?

• Like 1

Just to clarify what I said: Certain trophies are a pain in this game, there's no denying that but when it comes to the difficulty, it's mostly isolated to the Raid Bosses (though most can be cheesed very easily if you know the respective methods) and the other annoying spots are the arenas because the later waves can be tough.

@MarkGibbons and @hittheroadbucky are absolutely right when they say this series is a lot of fun once you get in to it and are also correct about the NG+ modes not being needed for the Platinum but they do make some of the trophies easier to get since you can bring your higher level gear back to Normal mode and blitz through the ones you don't have (namely the DLC trophies) :). Also, I apologise if my earlier post came across as overly harsh as that wasn't my intention :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MarkGibbons said:

Not everyone who earns trophies is a member of this forum, or wants to spend their time replying to somebody who hates 'first person shooters' and actively avoids playing them, but wants advice on this particular FPS.

Also, I have absolutely what hunting fever is on about, because the experience of almost every other player has been wildly different. 

Borderlands is witty, has good humour and fun gameplay. It's an RPG, and as such, has levels to gain. If something is even slightly difficult for you, do a side-quest or two, earn some XP and head back to that difficult spot and you'll find you're suddenly invincible. I have literally never heard anyone refer to Borderlands as difficult and for what its worth the game also has no difficulty settings, just New Game+ type ordeals where everything is slightly harder and this is totally optional and not required for trophies.

If you hate FPS games so passionately, avoid the title. 

Playing a genre you hate because of VR is like is hating vanilla ice cream, but eating it because someone dyed it green. Nonsensicle.

The only time I like first-person and can tolerate it is when it's in VR, which is what I said in one of my other posts above. I said that the only reason I'm considering this game is because it's in VR. Other than that yes, I hate First-person.

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CabDK said:

but you platted Skyrim VR so that's not going to be a problem for you

Keep in mind though Cab that I was no stranger to Skyrim prior to the VR version. I was fresh off platinuming and getting the 100% on both the PS3 and PS4 versions so by the time I played it in VR I knew exactly what to do, where to go, what to equip and what not to waste my time with. I knew the ins and outs and all the exploits and glitches. A Skyrim pro, for the lack of a better word, I guess. As previously stated, never touched a Borderlands game in my life so there's a huge difference here between me playing Skyrim VR and me playing Borderlands VR.

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

I get your point, I still don't think Borderlands will give you any trouble regardless. There is no missable trophies or anything, of course you would have to look stuff up in guides, but it's not overwhelming or anything. The game is not to complex or grindy, but a lot of fun, especially in VR imo.

6 minutes ago, CabDK said:

I get your point, I still don't think Borderlands will give you any trouble regardless. There is no missable trophies or anything, of course you would have to look stuff up in guides, but it's not overwhelming or anything. The game is not to complex or grindy, but a lot of fun, especially in VR imo.

Hell yeah dude everything's better in VR. I think I'll stop being a nervous little bitch (lol) and pick that shit up next month when I have the money,

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, MrTacoNinja said:

Hell yeah dude everything's better in VR. I think I'll stop being a nervous little bitch (lol) and pick that shit up next month when I have the money,

So I see you never actually picked up the game?  It's very good, not difficult if you are going to be doing all the side missions as you play you'll rank up more than enough to almost always be overlevel'd 

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2020 at 1:38 AM, Mr-Photo said:

So I see you never actually picked up the game?  It's very good, not difficult if you are going to be doing all the side missions as you play you'll rank up more than enough to almost always be overlevel'd 

I'm always about honesty so I'll be honest with you, Photo: I bitched out again. ?

The more I delayed the more time I had to talk myself out of it. It was just recently on sale too (as usual because that's all PSN ever does is put the same shit on sale over and over again)! I had it in my PSN cart and almost clicked the checkout button... and bitched out at the last second. However, I just bought the Firewall: Zero Hour/Aim Controller bundle from GameStop and need a reason to justify the 90-dollar spend. I have no intentions of ever playing Firewall (for a multitude of reasons) but buying it this way was the cheapest I could find an Aim controller. Ebay and Amazon sellers are asking waaaay too goddamn much for USED Aim controllers so you can only imagine how ridiculous their asking prices are for a new one. 

Now that I have an Aim controller damn it I WILL buy and play this game the next time I see it on sale, LOL! In the meantime I think I'll engineer a realistic looking gun with my Aim controller. I was thinking of buying a toy machine gun from Walmart, stripping it for all its parts and adding it all (or at least adding what I can) to the Aim. ?

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 2:33 AM, MrTacoNinja said:

In the meantime I think I'll engineer a realistic looking gun with my Aim controller. I was thinking of buying a toy machine gun from Walmart, stripping it for all its parts and adding it all (or at least adding what I can) to the Aim. 1f643.png

Almost done. Man o' MAN what a bitch it was! I'll try to upload a picture on here. I've never done it before so I'm not sure if you even can?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Almost done. Man o' MAN what a bitch it was! I'll try to upload a picture on here. I've never done it before so I'm not sure if you even can?

Upload the image to a hosting site such as Imgur or Flickr, then copy and paste the link they give you that's meant for forums :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

17 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Upload the image to a hosting site such as Imgur or Flickr, then copy and paste the link they give you that's meant for forums :).

Welp, Imgur's out. They want phone verification. Nope. I'm good with all that. I'll try Flickr next.

-UPDATE-

All set with Flickr. Now I just have to figure out how it all works.

Edited by MrTacoNinja