Document your experience with PS4 this generation.

Jake-TheGreat97

With PS5 just around the corner, it feels like only yesterday when the PS4 was first unveiled. If this generation nearing its end, I'm curious what this generation was like for everyone. Here's how it was for me.

I didn't buy a PS4 at launch. This was mainly due to the fact that I didn't have the money at the time to afford one. I'm also pretty sure that the console was sold out everywhere. While intended to eventually buy one I thought it would be best to wait. The first reason for this was because I'd only owned a PS3 for three years so I assumed that I still had at least some use out of it. Second, all of the games that I wanted to play like Uncharted 4 and Kingdom Hearts III weren't going to come out for quite some time. That all changed in March when Batman Arkham Knight, the direct sequel to my second favorite game of the previous generation was coming to PS4 in October. Immediately I had to get a PS4. So when my birthday rolled around I got a PS4 along with a copy of Infamous Second Son after me and my dad split the cost 50/50. Around two weeks after my birthday it was announced that Arkham Knight had been pushed back to 2015. For the next 6 months I barely used my PS4. In fact I didn't get a new game until Christmas with Far Cry 4. It was during this 6 month period when I decided to give PS Plus a try for the first time as the free monthly game line up seemed appealing, especially for someone who couldn't afford to buy new games at the time. Overall there is not much to say about 2014. I definitely seemed to get more use out of my PS3 that year then I did my PS4.

This was the year when I actually got some use out of my PS4, One of the reasons for this was PS Plus. I remember games like Infamous First Light were free early in the year. I also started to play more games this year as well. For example, I played Shadow of Mordor this year after missing out on it in 2014. During the summer Arkham Knight finally came out, and I found it to b rather disappointing. The summer was also the same time when Rocket League was free on PS Plus. I didn't really buy any new games during the fall, but I did get both  Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 for Christmas. Overall 2015 was a much better year then 2014. Although I was still using both my PS3 and PS4.

I remember at the start of the year I had to upgrade to a 2TB hard drive, something I never had to do on PS3 because games didn't take up that much space. I did somewhat lose my saved screenshots in the process. I managed to save them on a usb stick, but I never figured out how to put them back into the PS4. As for games this year, the only game that I really wanted to play was Uncharted 4. Unlike Arkham Knight, this game didn't disappoint, in fact its my favorite game in the series by far. I did play other games this year as well such as Ratchet and Clank (2016), The Last Guardian, and Doom (2016), the latter being one of my favorite FPS games. I also played some games that I missed out on. The biggest one being Bloodborne  which is a game that went from one I wanted to return because I couldn't beat the first boss, to easily one of my favorite games on PS4. 2016 Was also the year that I finally stopped using my PS3 as by the end of the year I had no use for it anyone. For Christmas I didn't get any new games because after my first semester of college I realized that I needed a laptop.

I didn't play a lot in 2017 as I did in year's past. This was mainly due to not having enough time due to college and work. In fact most of this year felt like 2014 as most of the games I played were from PS Plus. I did play some games this year like Crash N Sane Trilogy and Uncharted The Lost Legacy. But other games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Hell Blade I missed out on. One of the high lights for me this year was relaying the original Kingdom Hearts games for the first time in 7 years thanks to the collection on PS4. Yeah but overall this year I was too busy to play a lot of games.

This was the first time that I started the year without renewing my PS Plus membership. This was because I wasn't that impressed with a lot of the games that were offered during 2017. However I did renew later on in the year. That being said, I played a lot more this year then I did in 2017. These games included God of War (2018), Detroit Become Human, and Spider-Man. I also played games that I missed out on like Horizon Zero Dawn and Hell Blade. Easily my favorite game of 2018 was Red Dead Redemption 2. Overall 2018 was one of the better years to be a PS4 owner.

This year for me started with KH3 and DMC5 the latter probably being my favorite game of that year. One of the highlights for me this year was the summer. Borderlands the Handsome Collection free during June. For whatever reason, I found Borderlands 2 to be super addictive which is something that I never felt when I played the game on PS3. I also finally played The Witcher 3 and Titanfall 2  during the summer as well.  My free time when it came to gaming kind of fell off a cliff once I started my final year of college. This is evident when looking at my stats. Other games that I played this year included Death Stranding, and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order.

So far all I can say about this year is that this has been the year that I fully embraced digital media. While I bought games digitally in the past, this year every game I bought has been digital. Some of the highlights for me this include FF7 Remake which may end up being favorite game of the year despite its flaws. The Last of Us Part II was a game that I initially kind of hated after my first playthrough, but kinda liked after my second playthough. Doom Eternal is probably the best fps that I played this generation. Finally, Bikini Bottom Rehydrated was a fun nostalgia trip. The pandemic has also given me more time to earn trophies then in the past. Right now I'm on track to earn over 1000 trophies by the end of the year. I've also earned 16 platinums so this year as well.

Edited by Jake-TheGreat97
  • Like 4

Overall, pretty damn good. I’m happy with my PS4. I got mine in 2014, I think? Destiny kind of got me to buy it. I kept seeing all the graphics comparisons between PS3 and PS4, so I got curious about what exactly the PS4 has that PS3 didn’t. Initially, I wanted to purchase the white limited edition Destiny PS4, but ended up getting the regular black because it was a better deal; TLOU Remastered and Infamous: Second Son.

I feel like the tech jump from PS3 to PS4 is bigger than what it will be for PS4 to PS5. Since purchasing my PS4, I haven’t touched my PS3. It’s just slow and buggy in comparison. The PS4 is much more user-friendly and is faster. I like the personalization options of choosing your own background (an option I love since I take a million in-game screenshots).

I’ve had PS+ for the most part, though there were periods where I’d go without it for a long time due to primarily playing single-player games and not being too interested in Plus’ lineup. That’s changed a little, because I’m currently working on my Plus backlog, starting with BioShock. I get my subscription yearly, so it’s a good value for money. 

Downsides: the freaking thing sounds like a jet taking off now. I only just realized because I normally play using earphones. But damn, is it loud. I worry it’ll burst into a ball of flames sometime. To be fair, I’ve never cleaned it because I’m afraid I’ll mess something up and have to spend a fortune to get it fixed. I should do something about that, anyway. 

My PS4 also has a few disc related problems:

1) It sometimes refuses to “take in” discs. Really no clue as to why this happens. It literally just fixes itself, just depends on how lucky I am. Will it be a few days? Week? Month? I took it to get fixed once. It was fine for a week then did the same thing again, so I couldn’t be bothered to keep spending money afterwards. Since this issue arose, I haven’t bought any games physically. 

2) Ejecting discs randomly. I’ve removed the rubber stuff at the bottom, but it still happens here and there. Pretty frustrating in the middle of MP matches. 

My pros are more than the cons. I don’t regret purchasing my PS4 at all, and I’ve sunk a ton of hours into it. PS4 is when I started branching out from playing just GTA or Call of Duty, and I’ve discovered a variety of great titles, not to mention some of the phenomenal PS4 exclusives I’ve yet to play! I hope my PS5 experience (whenever I get it) will be just as good, and that Sony keeps delivering fantastic games. :) 

• Like 4

I think I got mine back in 2015 and frankly I always had a good time with it: the overall better layout and UI of the console made it easier for me to download games and I really like the jacks on the controller, which allows me to play at night without making too much noise. Infact sometimes it's hard for me to go back to ps3 (or ps2 or 1) because I wish I could use my earpieces! And of course being a huge jrpg lover there are so many games here that I just felt at home, since ps3 lacked a lot of great titles 

My only issue is that I can't recharge my controller while my ps4 is turned off...I know there has to be another way but I don't really want to buy one of those charging pads or stuff. And I can't directly use the cable on a power outlet to recharge like I do with my mp3 reader. 

Still, love my ps4: definitely my favorite playstation after 2, if not slightly better because there's no more region lock BS and almost - if not all - jrpgs now come here without problems. 

Meanwhile on my ps2 I had to pray for a game to be released here in europe....RIP Xenosaga and Xenogears and countless many.

I got mine on launch day and was really disappointed with the build quality of the system and the dualshock 4.

The system felt cheap and would often make loud cracking noises and then do it's best jet engine impression. My cousin got the first revision of the system without the shiny side and the build quality was much better. I've since got a pro and the build quality of that is great.

The control pad lost its rubber coating on the analogue sticks about 2 month in and then the right trigger bust. I've gone through 5 of them so far (3 v1 and 2 v2s) in comparison I got PS3 when dualshock 3 started being included.. so about 2007? And the pad with that still works perfect to this day and the second I got not long after is still working great too.

As for the games? I've been really disappointed with the AAA games this gen. I think my problem is that there just wasn't a huge leap between PS3 and PS4. So I feel like I've playing the exact same games since 2007 just with a different skin all the time. The only Sony exclusive I enjoyed this gen was Ratchet and Clank. I have however been enjoying the retro games and indie scene this generation. I've found so many hidden gems! and tbh without them I would of sold off the console a year or two in.

As for PS5. After being burned by launch console build quality twice by Sony (PS2 and PS4) I definitely won't be getting one at launch. After that I dunno. It depends on what the indie developers do with it.

1 hour ago, Darghel said:

My only issue is that I can't recharge my controller while my ps4 is turned off...

Check your settings because you definitely can.

Edited by RedDevil757

This gen has been odd gen for me. I've played some of the best games ever made, but at the same time there have been so few of them. But this is my last gaming console and when I am done with the PS4 games I want to play I'm calling it a day. 

From my first Spectrum right up until the 360/PS3 era, gaming went from strength to strength and truly peaked for me with the 360/PS3 era. From the Speccy to 360 you knew what to buy and what to avoid. Then towards the end of the 360/PS3 era it started to get messy. Then with the PS4, day one gamer testers became the norm and for me the quality in dev teams has gone so bad I can probably count on one hand who I can trust to deliver quality. 

Bought at launch, and loved it, especially PSVR later which was the true next generation, but then Sony’s globalisation strategy and SJW Outreach Program led to massive censorship and banning of many Japanese games. After that I’ve tried to buy every game second hand and trade back so as not to give Sony more of my money.

So, a real up and down generation.

This has been probably the best gen for me, I expanded my dynasty warriors collection. Got a lot more plats(I had one on ps3) and discovered new franchises.

I also brought a lot of remasters and remakes this gen which were all great .I got burnout paradise on ps4, I couldn't plat it on ps3 because I had no camera, ps4 burnout ended up being my first ps4 plat. And my ctr plat which is the plat I'm proudest of, a remake of one of my favourite ps1 games.

Another collection started in this era, buying far too many fighting games when they come on sale on psn. All started by me buying blazblue cross tag on sale and from then any fighting game on a good sale I will buy if I dont already own it. I have gotten more into fighting games in general this gen, I was already into the genre in the ps3 gen so this is just natural progression.

I embraced digital games this gen, I was very  against them on ps3 but over time I brought more and more of them when they were on sale.

On a more random note, pre ps4 skyrim was my game of the decade, now its tied with dragon quest 11 so I thank the ps4 generation for making my game of the decade less predictable and boring.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Check your settings because you definitely can.

Let me rephrase that: I know you can recharge outside with a power outlet (im doing that right now using my phone's cable). What I meant is that I can't use the console itself as a recharging station (unless it's turned on) which is weird because my Switch does that with the pro controller: if I connect it to the switch via usb cable it recharges it (even though the pro-controller is a beast and lasts forever, which at least made the 80 euros well spent I guess), but my ps4, despite having the power connected through the console and the official usb cable that came with it, doesn't.

But it's really a pet peeve of mine, especially because my controller is an older one so it loses power pretty quick - I have others but im keeping the newer ones in case of emergencies. I'm used to play with the cable for longer periods of time...if anything I wish the cable was a little longer!

Edited by Darghel

The ps4 has been hands down brilliant. It's where I've really got into trophy hunting and collected a nice selection of games. I got mine on launch and I've had zero problems with it where has I broke 3 ps3s due to overpaying them. The only problem I have with the ps4 is how loud it has become and not wanting to risk cleaning it and the low storage space. Other than that I've had a blast and I'm really hoping the ps5 can improve but I will be waiting until they release one with a bigger memory this time around than getting the standard one available at launch. 

1 hour ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

I broke 3 ps3s due to overpaying them

Wow so you probably spent a fortune to play ps3 games? :):D

@ topic

I bought my ps4 in summer 2016 and it has been a slow start that i used it more than my ps3. For at least 2 years i played more hours ps3 than ps4. But there are some great games on ps4 but sadly they went by faster than the very good games on ps3. I've picked a lot of easy to platinum games on ps4.

The ps4 has some major improvements over the ps3 for which i'm glad. Charging the controller not just when the console is on but anytime. The messages and trophy screen on ps4 are much faster loading. Party chat without a camera. Headset plug on controller.

Negative is the small HDD in the ps4. I have 500 GB in both ps3 and ps4 and on ps4 it was always full. It's annoyingly loud. Install size of games sometimes insanely large (TLOU II 100 GB seriously? ?). Light Bar is useless. The L2/R2 Buttons felt weird at first but are definitely better than those from DS3...

I'm happy my ps4 runs as good (though loud also) as on first day. I killed 2 ps3s due to overheating and bought 4 ps3s in total within 4 years. My ps4 is almost 4 years in my possession now :)

Edited by Evil_Joker88

I never buy consoles or games at launch so I didn't get a PS4 until May 2015. I have the Amazon Rewards credit card that I use for everyday purchases and after hoarding my rewards points for a couple years I was able to my PS4 for free. After upgrading to a 2 TB hard drive and replacing the sticks in the controller I downloaded all of the PS+ games that I had "purchased" and took a week off from work to play them. Best staycation ever.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased with the PS4. It's just awesome having a console that gets all the best AAA exclusives along with pretty much every awesome indie game, both new and old. I'm actually spending a lot of time these days trying to complete my PS3 backlog though, my goal is to have that done before I get a PS5. Should be able to pull it off since I'm in no hurry to jump into the next console generation, at the very least it will give me time to buildup more Amazon rewards points so I can get it for free.

• Like 1

Much preferred PS4 era over the PS3 era.  

Much improved controller, better interface, enjoyed taking screenshots of gaming moments, and most importantly, better and more immersive gameplay.  Going back to PS3 games at this point feels so clunky, both the controls and the graphics.

Looking forward to PS5 for sure.  In fact, I am not buying any recent PS4 release (Ghost of Tsushima, AC Valhalla, Cyberpunk) as I might as well experience the best version of it on PS5.

I bought the PS4 probably 9-10 months after release a I needed to play the new NHL, and loved it.  I had bought the PS3 at launch. 

Edited by djb5f

I got the white PS4 in 2014 that was bundled with Destiny and I ended up not playing that game that much. Since then I've played tons of games consistently every year with only a few breaks here and there. I also got the Spiderman PS4 Pro which looks so slick. God of War is my favorite game from this generation but I've still got tons of games to play in my backlog including Bloodborne. (my gaming shame)

Edited by Bizurke2003

The PS4 has been excellent for me. 

I have a grudge with the PS3, so I enjoyed very few games. I was even thinking years ago if console gaming was not for me anymore, because I would quickly get burnout of everything that I started, and only got enjoyment from online games. After I watched the trailer for FF Type-0 HD I found the game so awesome that it prompted me to buy the PS4 early (I only bought the PS3 in 2012), so I got mine a few days after Christmas 2014. Another thing that made me want a PS4 was the fact that the PS4 version of Samurai Warriors 4 offered a better experience, which made me notice that I would be left out if sticked with only a PS3.

It really took me a while to start using the PS4 costantly, because the library was a bit empty, and many games did not interest me, but I played a bit later on 2015. For personal reasons I almost did not use it on 2016, playing only the two inFamous. But since early 2017, when I got hooked on MKX and got my first plat after a long time (Nioh), I have been playing non-stop. Sometimes I have a break because I am playing something on PS3 / Vita, or am playing online on PC. 

Personally I think the majority of the games are very good. I had a very enjoyable time with many titles, and there are still many others on my backlog, and more that I want to buy on the future. It's still not the console that I played the most, because I spent countless hours on PS2, but probably when I plat my last title on PS4, it will be the one I spent the most time with. Quality wise it's hard to compare it to the PS2. Maybe because I was younger and the leap from PS1 to 2 was much bigger than from 3 to 4, I dont feel as mesmerized, or think "wow, I never played anything like this before". But in the future, when I look back at my time in this generation, I am certain that I will have fond memories.

And as some others, my PS4 also has an issue with the disc drives. Randomly it starts to beep nonstop. I still does not know what makes it start and stop. The disc driver start to make sounds and try to eject something, even though I never use physical games. My PS4 is from Southeast Asia, and I remember reading online that some early models from there have this problem, but since it never bothered me, I never tried to search a fix for it.

My only regret was not buying the version with 1 TB for a few more BRL. I already had the habit of buying digital games on PS3, and they were not too big, so I thought that PS4 games would not be much bigger. Man, I was wrong. I play games randomly, so its really bothersome having to manage the library. 

• Like 1

I got my PS4 slim in 2017 from my friend along with Resident Evil 7, and this is my second TV console after PS3. It has a great library of games, ranging from AAA action adventure games to indie platforming games, much better than PS3 or Vita, and I am pretty satisfied with it. The original HDD in my PS4 slim is a little bit problematic when reading data, so I bought another SSD as an external storage device. The DS4 controller is perfect for music games or 2D action games such as Dragon's Crown and Guacamelee, but for shooter games it's better to get an extend cap cover grip, or get a customizable elite controller such as Astro C40 or Scuf Vantage.

As for my favorite games, it is difficult to rank them, but here are some of them: God of War, AC Odyssey, Watch Dogs 2, Resident Evil 2 & 3, Tomb Raider 2013 Trilogy, Guacamelee 1 & 2, New Sakura Wars and 13 Sentinel Aegis Rim

I got my original PS4 in 2015 off of eBay for $330 (brand new, but open box). Which was a big deal at the time, because the console had yet to receive a price drop, and I still managed to pay less than when it got one. So I bought a second controller along with inFAMOUS: Second Son and Assassin's Creed: Unity. It started having issues last year though, the whole thing with it ejecting discs on it's own...why that started 4 years later, I don't know. And it started getting a bit of a power coil whine...which is never good. So this year in January I decided to buy a PS4 Pro to replace it before it got too bad and I couldn't do anything about it. Also got my Pro from eBay, this time for $283 (again new, but open box).

Gaming wise, this has been one of the best generations I've ever been a part of and I've been gaming for 30 years. The PS3 changed the whole way I game with trophies allowing me to get out of my comfort zone, try new genre's, and test my abilities...while also showing me what I DON'T want out games (I'm not really into something being super challenging). The PS4 is wide extension of that mindset for me...but some of the games released this gen are one's I'll always look back on fondly. I mean if it was a heavy hitter...I probably enjoyed the shit out of it. inFAMOUS: Second Son and First Light, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, Horizon: Zero Dawn, DOOM, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, God of War, Borderlands 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dishonored series, Assassin's Creed: Origins and Odyssey. All great stuff. 

I won't be getting a PS5 right away. But I look forward to seeing what it can do. 

On 7/24/2020 at 8:19 AM, Darghel said:

Let me rephrase that: I know you can recharge outside with a power outlet (im doing that right now using my phone's cable). What I meant is that I can't use the console itself as a recharging station (unless it's turned on) which is weird because my Switch does that with the pro controller: if I connect it to the switch via usb cable it recharges it (even though the pro-controller is a beast and lasts forever, which at least made the 80 euros well spent I guess), but my ps4, despite having the power connected through the console and the official usb cable that came with it, doesn't.

But it's really a pet peeve of mine, especially because my controller is an older one so it loses power pretty quick - I have others but im keeping the newer ones in

case of emergencies. I'm used to play with the cable for longer periods of time...if anything I wish the cable was a little longer!

But you can though. The PS4 just has to be in rest mode...which technically isn't on. Rest Mode is a very low power state that only uses resources when it has to...like when a controller needs to be charged. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

On 24/07/2020 at 1:19 PM, Darghel said:

But it's really a pet peeve of mine, especially because my controller is an older one so it loses power pretty quick - I have others but im keeping the newer ones in case of emergencies. I'm used to play with the cable for longer periods of time...if anything I wish the cable was a little longer!

But it does charge your controllers while it's turned off. You have the power to usb option turned off.

On 27/7/2020 at 0:27 AM, Viper said:

But you can though. The PS4 just has to be in rest mode...which technically isn't on. Rest Mode is a very low power state that only uses resources when it has to...like when a controller needs to be charged. 

"Huh...didn't know rest mode did that, mainly because I read it was mostly for letting your ps4 updating itself, but since i don't always play with my console connected to the internet I would just turn it off and not bother. I'll give it a try"

13 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

But it does charge your controllers while it's turned off. You have the power to usb option turned off.

"Gonna check on that right now, guess better late than never. I never minded using cable while playing so it wasn't an issue to me, coming from ps1 and ps2 and other consoles"

Get my very first PS4. Not blown away until I play Witcher 3. Declare war on Bethesda for making a hash of the Fallout 4 story making it near impossible to play as anything other than a good character due to the base story.

End of 2016

Sell PS4 and games. 

Early 2017

Buy the PS4 Pro and have been gaming on it to date. 

2017 - Bought a PS4 Pro just for NieR Automata then proceed to let the thing collect dust until 2020. 

I played like... 2 games briefly early 2018 (MvCi but the game's community died super quickly so I stopped playing & Monster Hunter World) and FFXV in 2019 but apart from that I mostly dropped games overall until quarantine hit.  

I can definitely see myself burning out again and taking another multi-year hiatus from vidya again, especially once its a bit safer to go outside and be around people lmao. 

Edited by Hentekorino

5 hours ago, Hentekorino said:

2017 - Bought a PS4 Pro just for NieR Automata then proceed to let the thing collect dust until 2020. 

I played like... 2 games briefly early 2018 (MvCi but the game's community died super quickly so I stopped playing & Monster Hunter World) and FFXV in 2019 but apart from that I mostly dropped games overall until quarantine hit.  

I can definitely see myself burning out again and taking another multi-year hiatus from vidya again, especially once its a bit safer to go outside and be around people lmao. 

Yeah when you're young video games should just be about pick up n play to pass the time. Gotta enjoy that youth and get loads of crazy experiences to look back on for when its time to hang up the party shoes and chill out. 

I've always had a console or computer, but it wasn't until I touched my 30's when I concentrated on work and stuff and gave up the night life. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah when you're young video games should just be about pick up n play to pass the time. Gotta enjoy that youth and get loads of crazy experiences to look back on for when its time to hang up the party shoes and chill out. 

I've always had a console or computer, but it wasn't until I touched my 30's when I concentrated on work and stuff and gave up the night life. 

totally! I spent most of the PS2 gen drunk or working so completely skipped it

• Like 1