RPG series to plat recommendations

xSingedStahpPls

As a brief introduction i started playing rpg games at the age of 7 with Pokemon red being the first one and rapidly became my favorite genre after discovering Final Fantasy VIII a few years later. Now i play a lot of different games but rpgs are still my favorite so since i love trophy hunting im thinking of going for the plat of different rpg series and i would like to hear your recommendations on where to start. I have some on mind but i can't decide xD

Old school rpg pc games: Already have the plat for Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Wasteland 2 and Baldur's Gate. Other games in this list would be Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape:Torment, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, both Pillars of Eternity (Let me know if there is more)

Souls-like games: Dark souls trilogy, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Sekiro, both Nioh games, maybe we could add here Remnant from the Ashes, The Surge.. if there is more that are worth mentioning let me know as well.

Star Ocean: I own the four games that are available on ps4 but i've never played them because i know they're long and grindy being The Last Hope 300h+ long.

Yakuza series: Now that the 6 games are available on ps4 im considering going for it. I would add Judgement here as well, i've heard that it's similar to Yakuza and made from the same creators (and on sale for 12€ on the store right now :D)

So where should i start? Any more recommendations?

Edited by xSingedStahpPls
  • Like 4

I enjoyed a lot my time with Nioh, haven't tried part 2 yet. Bloodborne it's a must have if you like the genre too and it's not a popular opinion but I enjoyed myself The Surge 1 a lot too.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Remastered and Fallout 3 (PS3) are must for me too I love them. 

The Witcher 3 it's amazing you definetly will love this if you like good stories and long games. (Try to go for the definitive edition with this one, the dlc it worth it).

Borderland 2 and Boderlane Pre Sequel I enjoyed a lot those two too. And now 1 and 3 are out so you can try all the series.

Those are the ones let's say more RPG oriented I have played got the plat and like them a lot I'm talking about my experience. Be cause you know this days literally now all games are rpg just be cause they have skill trees.

• Like 2

A really solid old school pc type  rpg that you are missing from your list is Torment: Tides of Numenera it's a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment.
Other than that I can also say that Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Outer worlds, and Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir are all fantastic RPGs that are well worth your time

• Like 2

If you like JRPG I would recommend The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel.

If you are fine with a game with jank and rpg with small budget I would recommend Elex or Greedfall.

I will also recommend Nier: Automata not sure if this classified as a rpg but since it's nominated as rpg of the year in 2017 I will classify it as such. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the recomendations! I've played a lot of them but i'll have a look at the ones that i haven't.

As a personal recommendation for anyone that likes Persona games i found Tokyo Xanadú a really good game with similar narrative and even the dungeons are similar to the Persona palaces. I really enjoyed playing it.

• Like 2

Trails of cold steel series, and Persona series, similar type of jrpg school life simulation games (also add Tokyo Xanadu snd Caligular Effect except they aren’t series)

Final Fantasy Series of course (minus 12 and 15),Dragon Quest series (including Heroes and Builders games, both have two)

I do love Dark Chronicle (a PS2 game redone on PS4) and Dark Cloud would make it a series but that isn’t very good. 

Akiba’s Beat and, even better, Akiba’s Trip Undead and Undressed should be played. Don’t think they would necessarily be considered in the same series.

The “Tales of” games (Symphonia is a real chore to plat though.

Hyperdimension Neptunia series is great, but you’ll need a VITA I think. And if you have one the Criminal Girls series, Demon Gaze series and Conception series are all good.

Theres also the Ys series, meant to be great but I haven’t played it.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

5 hours ago, xSingedStahpPls said:

Yakuza series: Now that the 6 games are available on ps4 im considering going for it. I would add Judgement here as well, i've heard that it's similar to Yakuza and made from the same creators (and on sale for 12€ on the store right now :D)

I too played the Yakuza franchise for the first time when all came to PS4. 

Here is what I can advise on the matter if you're going to go for this series. 

1: Yakuza Zero is an incredible game. Sure it has its faults in some places but as a complete package there aren't many games that can go against it. Its also the best structured game I have played in terms of giving you something new to get involved with on each new chapter. So enjoy Yakuza Zero and don't rush it. 

2: From Yakuza Zero the series had more downs than ups for me. My biggest tip to play this franchise is if you play Zero, play about 10 different games and then play Kiwami. Each game has almost the same content, and in a lot of cases breaks what used to work. But because they're so similar, playing back to back will make you hate the series due to lack of fresh content per game. 

3: I played about 3-4 games after completing Yakuza 6 and after starting Judgement yesterday, I realise its still not enough of a gap. Judgement has the same map, same mini-games, breaks things that used to work in the Yakuza franchise etc. So already I am having burnout and my game time is only just over 2 hours. 

Yakuza is so marmite, I think it might just made from it. I don't know why I continued the series, I truly cannot explain it. Its like some conspiracy theory or something. You shouldn't like this series, but starting Yakuza Zero as your first game leaves such an incredible impression, that when the series starts dropping you hope for the next game to be right up there with Zero. It's mental. 

My favourite games from fav to least fav is as follows. 

Yakuza Zero - 9/10 (Amazing. Stands toe-toe with the likes of Witcher 3 for me)

Yakuza 6 - 8/10 (great game)

Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 7/10 (I rated this as my second favourite until I eventually played Yakuza 6)

Yakuza 4 Remaster - 6/10 (After playing Yakuza 3 and thinking for quitting the franchise, this picked up for me big time)

Yakuza Kiwami - 6/10 (After Zero its a kick in the balls, but its not awful, its just lacking when compared to Zero, even with Kiwami being a remake and not a remaster)

Yakuza 5 Remaster - 5/10 (I was hoping this would rival Yakuza Zero, but it just didn't)

Yakuza 3 Remaster - 3/10 (I cannot stress enough how much I hated this piece of shite)

What you see seriously drop is the quality in story telling. Yakuza Zero has those Japanese dog shit writing moments, but on the whole its awesome cheese. But from Yakuza 3 - 5 its f**king awful to sit there watching this shit dialog and plots, literally shit in your ears and eyes. Thankfully Yakuza 6 goes out with one of the best bangs in gaming and why I said I would never touch another RGG game again lol. Until Judgement went on sale. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

2: From Yakuza Zero the series had more downs than ups for me. My biggest tip to play this franchise is if you play Zero, play about 10 different games and then play Kiwami. Each game has almost the same content, and in a lot of cases breaks what used to work. But because they're so similar, playing back to back will make you hate the series due to lack of fresh content per game. 

Yeah i understand what you're saying. Something similar happened to me with kingdom hearts. Played kh, kh2 and moved to kh birth by sleep and i ended with an epic burnout. Same graphics, same scenarios, (in bbs you have to go through the same scenarios 3 times) very similar gameplay.. I had to move to another game to stay sane and never got back to it. Eventually i will get back but probably not soon xD

On 7/24/2020 at 11:14 AM, xSingedStahpPls said:

I agree but i still have nightmares with the 1000 jumps minigame on FFIX D:

Yeah I had some dog turd moments with FFX. That lightning thing and the chocobo race. Christ!

Japanese developers seem to be the only developers who don't want you to enjoy their games for the most part. 

3 hours ago, Montyzu said:

As someone that just started the Yakuza ride this insight is very useful, Thank you.

No problem man. But don't take my word as the truth, merely see it as a guideline. 

For example. I truly hated Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 5 has to this day the best first chapter in the entire saga, but after that it went to dog shit for me. But, and here's why you should only take my word for reference, is that when Yakuza 3 arrived on PS3 for the first time, the original Yakuza fans loved it. Yakuza 5 was then released and that was a dream come true for them, then Yakuza Zero was the prequel and it just seemed like they found there footing. 

But for me personally its Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 5 which made my stomach turn. Didn't like a lot of the game play features but I will say the locations were epic. But I'm pretty unforgiving when it comes to story telling and if it shows poor quality I will rip the piss out of it, Yakuza Zero has its moment of cheese, but in no way does it break anything, where as Y3 and Y5 for me were awful on every level. 

I'm now on Judgement and that has the same issues. I actually wish I had stuck to Japanese audio and subtitles, because the dubbing is fucking shocking and its like watching an old PS1 Resident Evil voice over work. 

And as I have suggested to others if you have just started Yakuza Zero. Use this guide https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/816306-yakuza-0/faqs/74451

Whilst you can avoid the story spoilers I would suggest it for things like the substories as in Yakuza Zero they don't show on the map and you could miss a tonne of awesome gameplay. Even if you're not going for the platinum I suggest using it just so you can see as much as you can from the game as it really is awesome. 

• Like 2

On 24/07/2020 at 2:17 PM, xSingedStahpPls said:

Old school rpg pc games: Already have the plat for Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Wasteland 2 and Baldur's Gate. Other games in this list would be Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape:Torment, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, both Pillars of Eternity (Let me know if there is more)

I have the plats for BG2, P:T, ID, NN and POE2 (I played POE1 on PC)

BG2 is basically spam Summon Planetar on Legacy of Bhaal mode. Otherwise, it's straight forward.

BG: Siege of Dragonspear also has its own platinum and if you play in Story Mode, it's a piece of cake.

P:T is easy and will take a 1-3 days with a guide.

Icewind Dale requires a bit of a grind (need to level up one multiclass human character to Level 30 for 3 different classes) and the final boss on Heart of Fury mode will really test you unless you have a strategy. I wrote one up on the Icewind Dale subforum here at PSN profiles.

Neverwinter Nights: See my informal guide here - 

Pillars of Eternity 2: The problem with this game is not the platinum but the load times. They are horrendous. As in 3 -5 minute waits just to go in and out of someone's house. The platinum itself is straightforward.

Edited by thekingsman123
  • Like 1