GAAAAAAAAARGGGHH! THEY DID IT AGAIN!!! *contains major spoilers*

DaveMcDamage

As mentioned in the title this post will contain spoilers, so if you snapped this up in the sales and haven't even finished chapter 1, then please don't get overly curious and avoid spoiling it for yourself. 

And now on with my rant/rage/face palming at such crapness.

I just finished the first chapter and right at the end, your character decides to name the unidentified killer as 'The Mole'. Straight away I perked up with a 'Huh? How the f**k can the call the killer a mole?!?!?!?!'

It proper pissed me off at all the names they could have given him, to use a name which in the police or anything really which describes someone who has been planted to leak information from his/her enemies for their own teams benefit. F**king stupid as shit I thought to myself, but RGG are known for this weak arsed writing. 

Anyway. 

Chapter 2 starts and already the newly named 'Mole' is conflicting every f**king time its mentioned in dialog. Things like 'Why would the police protect the mole' of 'I have to find who the mole is' GAAAAARRRRGH!!!!!!!!

So they have either destroyed the entire plot with one word, or they clearly have no knowledge of the meaning of the word which everyone outside the RGG office clearly f**king knows. 

I think I know what you mean and I am not sure if that's just not a translation issue as in Japanese VO they refer to the killer as 'moguru' which can translate as several things: 

* to get under; to get into; to get in; to creep into; to crawl under; to bury oneself; to burrow into; to dig oneself into; to snuggle under
* to hide oneself (esp. from the government); to conceal oneself; to go underground

Because yeah, mole just does not sound as good. 

5 minutes ago, Raveniteh said:

I think I know what you mean and I am not sure if that's just not a translation issue as in Japanese VO they refer to the killer as 'moguru' which can translate as several things: 

* to get under; to get into; to get in; to creep into; to crawl under; to bury oneself; to burrow into; to dig oneself into; to snuggle under
* to hide oneself (esp. from the government); to conceal oneself; to go underground

Because yeah, mole just does not sound as good. 

Cool info. Cheers man. 

But with that Japanese meaning, it wrecks it even more as now whilst I cannot visually ID the killer, the meaning of mole and the Japanese meanings make it painfully obvious what the killer is. this is super shit even by RGG writing. 

Only some tea and toast can calm these rages bones again. 

Disagree with RGG having weak writing, but to each their own. The Mole moniker really didn't bother me when gaming. And yeah, sometimes English or other languages are used by the Japanese they don't fully grasp the meaning of because of aesthetic usage.

Maybe you should play through the whole story for a more complete rant because, to me, the label did make sense when everything came to light.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bittersweet said:

Disagree with RGG having weak writing, but to each their own. The Mole moniker really didn't bother me when gaming. And yeah, sometimes English or other languages are used by the Japanese they don't fully grasp the meaning of because of aesthetic usage.

Maybe you should play through the whole story for a more complete rant because, to me, the label did make sense when everything came to light.

You've already told me the whole plot my friend *twists tash of awesome detective skills*

And yeah. Talk about lost in translation. Morning Glory kids school. Jesus christ! But I leave our conversation in a being a bit of an arsehole, but you have no idea what constitutes as good writing in a video game. Begone with you foul beasty! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I think it's pretty smart. My first thought upon hearing "The Mole" wasn't a role like an snitch or informant, but the animal. They operate underground like the killer, protected from everything else, and don't have visible eyes, like the killer's victims. It's a name that has both a double meaning and links back to the original Japanese in both sound and definition. 

Maybe actually play the game a bit more before deciding that the writers/translators are idiots?

Edited by JessikaJigsaw
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well I continued and as predicted I was correct. Now its been a while since I made this thread so I suppose it would be easy for me to make this post now. 

But with how unskilled RGG are at plot and story writing, my original criticism is justified. They made the same sort of mistake with Yakuza 6, albeit no where the level of fuck-uppery  that they did with judgment. Now if you know your Japanese actors you will know that when they appear in a RGG game they're going to have a very strong role in the plot. I'm fully aware of some of Tanihara's work, and to see him playing a cop who didn't seem to important at first (as though the real actors career had gone to shit) felt a little off. 

Then as i mentioned in the first comment with how fucking stupid it was when they nicknamed the killer 'The Mole' the whole plot and story destroys itself in a matter of moments. 

i know RGG aren't the best at this (or anything apart from Yakuza Zero.... masterpiece) but even by there standards this was such an awful idea. 

This style of writing may pass as quality in Japan. But they shit the bed when they release there projects overseas.