What type of trophy hunter are you? Do you focus on quality or quantity?

usapro2017

I would say I'm a sporadic trophy hunter if that makes sense. I have platinum trophies like My Name is Mayo and Batman Telltale but I also have Wolfenstein 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. I have different reasons for getting plats but I never do that save stack thing people do with Sound Shapes or some shit. I also don't "hack" the plats, no point if that's the case.

Other than that, if I don't like a game and it has a short plat I'll probably just go for it, depends on my mood.

• Like 1

Both. I still want to enjoy the game but I don’t mind an easy game now and again, that said I don’t recall saying I hated a game so much. I stay away from sports games though but other than that I’m happy to play anything and try and go for the trophies but I don’t get obsessed with it. My completion rate is like 35%, that’s okay.

• Like 1

I think the definition for me is Casual Trophy Hunter. I only aim to play games that I find interesting or are part of a franchise that I love. I don't aim to be in any Leaderboard top and I only occasionally care for milestones and backlog (I like the completion rate percentage not gonna lie :D ) . 

That's why my list is a bit of both : while I do have some decent platinums like SF5 and MK9 I also have stinkers like Devil May Cry 2 and Lords of the Fallen. Basically if the game looks fun I will play it. But in general yeah I aim towards quality. 

• Like 1

I changed my vision in trophies a lot. In the beggining it was only games I liked and the ones I didn't I wouldn't try to get the platinum. 

Now I try to 100% every game I play, even if it has DLC. Also only games that are good or that aren't a quick cash grab for trophies. So no Ratalaika or Eastsoft games

I get the plat for everything I play, but I only buy games that I expect to enjoy. Getting the platinum sometimes makes me enjoy a game more, because it makes me explore parts of the game that normally I would not. But obviously there are bad times, like when I have to stick with a game that I didnt like, or a trophy that is extremely boring and repetitive. 

I dont do multiple stacks of a game, does not makes sense to me. Each platinum has to be a unique experience. But I may platinum the same game more than one time, like when I got my very first platinum, GoW III, and some years ago I got it again on PS4. The same thing with the first Darksiders. And I will probably do it on the future like replaying Bayonetta, or some other game if the desire arise at some point.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I think the definition for me is Casual Trophy Hunter. I only aim to play games that I find interesting or are part of a franchise that I love. I don't aim to be in any Leaderboard top and I only occasionally care for milestones and backlog (I like the completion rate percentage not gonna lie :D ) . 

That's why my list is a bit of both : while I do have some decent platinums like SF5 and MK9 I also have stinkers like Devil May Cry 2 and Lords of the Fallen. Basically if the game looks fun I will play it. But in general yeah I aim towards quality. 

101 platinums and 86% completion is not casual ?  I am more or less in the same spot.  It is not hardcore but not casual either, somewhere in between!

For me, I play what I like and include a good mix of ultra rare platinums and common platinums.  If a trophy is too difficult or time consuming or I don’t love the game, I am more than willing to just move on.

• Like 3

The thing that makes me differ from most of the throphy hunter is that i don't care about the overall completion percentage

I simply enjoy getting trophies and I'm pretty casual  in doing it. I only buy games that I'm interested in, get as much trophies as I can, but when I get too bored or it gets too hard I simply leave it be.

• Like 2

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: personally I think you're insane if you think two mayonnaise jars wouldn't look good on your profile. Too bad I don't own a Vita ?I would definitely go for a My Name Is Mayo Vita stack and even a PS5 remaster...

I honestly appreciate both super easy and super hard trophy lists. I find it funny some people say "Getting super easy stackable trophies is not fun and abuses the system," but on their profile they only have insanely difficult games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Super Meat Boy, etc. Where's the fun in torturing yourself? Isn't that abuse on your mind, constantly raging at the TV? The true reality is that everyone enjoys trophy hunting in different ways, from earning easy trophies, earning hard trophies, earning time consuming trophies, earning trophies for the games they like, and even earning trophies to climb a "leaderboard" on a website that tracks profiles of trophy hunters... not discrediting the leaderboards of course, but some people I feel do take it too seriously. Even without Ratalaika games, it is still secretly a battle for who can sink the most money into getting the games and time into earning the trophies. Its just that now the games are cheaper and the time is shorter.

I believe I'm a jack-of-all-trades kinda guy with trophies. I got the platinum for My Name Is Mayo, Fortnite (stacked), Mortal Kombat 2011, Final Fantasy XIII and the vast majority of my platinum list is made of LEGO games. 

TL;DR - Play games you enjoy, and earn trophies the way you enjoy doing so. It's what I do.

• Like 2

I don't care about the trophies per se, I'm just a completion freak. Since my N64 days I've always tried to 100% all the games that I play, the only thing that's changed now is that I have these little stamps I can collect. I only play the games I like, regardless of them being too easy or too hard to plat. I've never decided to buy a game because it was a really easy platinum nor have I not bought a game for being too hard or for not having a trophy set at all (the only exception is that I play unattainable platinum games on my UK account because of the whole "completion freak" thing). But yeah, for me it's cool games I enjoy first, completion second.

6 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Who cares seriously, do what you want, all this is gonna end up doing is eventually start needless arguing. 

Well it’s a shame that some individuals in discussions can’t keep composure and just talk and share opinions without stirring up drama/arguments.

End of the day, we are all gamers and enjoy trophies. Some are just more casual/hardcore about it.

I lean more towards quality, but also towards not putting people down who disagree with you. If you put together 500 platinums, that took a lot of work to put together. If you have 50 ultra rare platinums, that also took a lot of work to put together. Both are commendable.

Edited by CountOfTuscany1
  • Like 1

Personally I love trophies. I consider myself both a Trophy Hunter and I always aim to obtain the Platinum Trophies and/or 100% the games I enjoy to play. Some trophies might be stressful at times (for example in the Yakuza games, which is one of my favorite sagas ever) but the satisfaction you get upon completion is highly rewarding. I do have some easy Plats on my list (My Name is Mayo and some Ratalaika games which I have played both on PS4 and Vita) but as my favorite genres are JRPGs and Metroidvanias, most of the games are long and take some considerable time to Plat which I enjoy from beginning to end, so I'd lean towards quality over quantity as well. 

• Like 1

I'm more like USApro i pick my games wisely before playing them, mostly aim for games with a good story. If the Platinum is doable i go for it before moving on to another game. oh and the first play through is always on the highest difficultly available/required without using a guide, then another for cleanups and collectibles if they are hard to find solo.

I think mainly quality but that's just because I play what interests me. Sometimes the games are easier to get all the trophies and sometimes there harder. I've never not bought a game because of what the trophy list looked like.

• Like 1

Prior to lockdown, I was very much quantity over quality. I didn't go out of my way to buy games with easy plats, and I did have a few modest limits (no regional stacks, and eventually I sold my Vita, locking me out of cross-buy stacks), but yeah, when it came to plats, I rarely went for very difficult ones. I guess I wanted to preserve my high(ish) spot on the leaderboard. 

After lockdown, not only did I have more time on my hands (to spend indoors, on my own), but I also wanted to save money, so I revisited some old favourites. I got my rarest ever plat, for Wipeout Omega Collection, a couple of months ago, and of course the whole experience was infinitely more satisfying than the vast majority of plats I earned before it. Right now I'm working on The Nathan Drake Collection (platted Drake's Fortune a couple of days ago), and again, it's so much more rewarding than easier plats. 

When my lifestyle habits change, so will my gaming habits, but right now I'd much rather go for difficult or at least semi-difficult plats than very easy ones.

I have no idea...i guess i don't really like being classified as either gamer a or gamer b...it has a tendency to just create unnecessary divisiveness...a relevant counter question would be to define quality games before being able to reply properly...I think some might consider the games I've played as garbage therefore I can't be a quality gamer...I also don't care about how many trophies I've acquired and I'm sure I'm way down on the leaderboards so I must not be a quantity gamer either...so what's option c?...I have an abundance of disposable income that allows me to buy games I think I'll enjoy while also trying out the occasional highly praised out-of-my-comfort-zone titles, play them at a pace that allows to me to balance all of my life's responsibilities satisfactorily, and enjoy experiencing everything a game has to offer...whether someone defines this as casual, or quality, or quantity, or avid, or completist, or trophy hunter, etc. gamer affects me very little...